Suggestions for places for a TPF get together

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all :)

After the success of last years little sojourn to Chester Zoo, and chatting to CT about this, i think it would be a good idea to try and arrange at least one get together again this year.

I think what we need are some suggestions of places to go, and then we will sort out a date and time etc later, will be better as it gets warmer and longer days anyway ! :)

Heres a couple of suggestions, thats all they are, hoping for some recommendations from other people to help the process along too :)

1) Chester Zoo again when its NOT raining ! lol (or any Zoo for that matter)
2) Severn Valley Railway (or A.N Other Steam railway, chose SVR cos they have themed weekends 1940 etc)
3) Lake District (would prolly have to be a whole weekend)
4) An Air Show

Theres a few to get a discussion started anyway ! :)

Over to you peeps now !

:)

sounds like a good idea to me, I missed the last escapade.
I'd also vote for Chester Zoo again......because it's 15 mins or so from my house :D

/Discuss

I don't get much chance....so for me the seaside.

regards

[non helpful selfish lazy suggestion]
Anywhere near Manchester
[/non helpful selfish lazy suggestion]

:D

Lake district or Chester Zoo again sounds mighty fun.

Lake District would be my first choice. So many photo opportunities.

Top thread idea from Ian. I did Chester Zoo twice last year so would prefer another venue. I'll give it some thinks. :)

InaGlo said:
Hey CT .....Im sure we have lots of lovely places here in the West Mids dont we :whistle2:

Im sure you do thats why i asked for suggestions ;)

We all know our local areas, and places we have visited, and can make recommendations, then we can put them to a vote once we have a shortlist :)

I'd vote for the Lake District too.......if there was some kind of poll going on that is :ponders:

I'd be in with half a chance of making the Lake District as long as no wives are allowed and we can all do the 'Time Team' thing...sitting around a table with copious quantities of real ale discussing the days' work and if it kicks off, our Scottish contingent haven't got that far back to the border to set up our defences.

How about Kruger National Park? :D

If you get 12 or more willing to go you could get vastly reduced rates form the group travel division of BA or SAA.......

I don't know if I'm joking with that suggestion or not!!!:dizzy:

InaGlo said:
Hey CT .....Im sure we have lots of lovely places here in the West Mids dont we :whistle2:

Really? :D

The obvious place I suppose is Cannock Chase which is only a few miles from me and I was actually born and raised round there. I might have been conceived over there for all I know. :p

It's designated an area of outstanding natural beauty which it no doubt is, but photographically I've always found it very frustrating. It's largely rolling heathland and pine plantations. Sadly too, and it's a sign of the times, it's not too wise to venture far from your car if you want to return to it as you left it. The pondlife know that people leave their cars and go walking for miles, so it's easy pickings for them.

Stately Homes
Theme Parks
Nature Reserves
Motor Sport

Just ideas. :)

I think there needs to be something there to photograph. Whilst a zoo or its like maybe overdone it does give us a chance to take some pictures.

Its a toughie.

The lake district would be good - some beautiful scenery to photograph, and a good excuse for some time away :)

LD here too....know an excellent short walk to get view of most of Windermere, plus 360 view ;)

IanC_UK said:
4) An Air Show

Well I'll throw out a vote for this suggestion, I've been looking at attending 1 or 2 of these this year (since getting the 100-400 :D ) and have mainly been looking at Duxford as they seem to put on 3 or 4 shows a year and also have an air museum there... it would suit the more southern situated members here more though, however I might be able to make one of the bigger shows held further north if the dates suit.

Living as I do so close to the Lakes, you would need plans if it rained (coz it does some days)

Maybe pick somewhere like Grasmere (has lake and gingerbread shop :whistle2: ), Keswick (has 2 lakes and at least 1 stone circle) or one of the other "tourist traps" because that way there is something to do when the heavens open. (and I don't just mean a little bit of rain ;) ).

The Lakes has no "close" regular train service but I'm sure between us we could pick up from Penrith or Oxenholme.
Having said all this I went to Blackpool Zoo last year and it was great.:doh:

Allan

Could always do Farnborough air show... it's just up the road from me :D

Anywhere that doesn't involve cars/boats/planes please! All this eco-destruction type stuff leaves me cold I'm afraid. My vote is for a big bandit camping mission somewhere. Lake district is ok by me. I have a car now too! ;)

As for locations around me, Bath itself has many opps, none the least the many beautiful ladies! Stourhead house, and gardens, many beautiful beaches around south dorset. The clovelly area of N. Devon/cornwall.

If I had my way though I'd drag you all off to scotland for a proper bandit camping mission, midges, mushrooms, whisky, not shaving for a week, eating 'camp food', drinking the crazy water from lochs only accessible by boat and scenery that would make you cry it's so beautiful!

Generally though, anything landscape based is good for me. Having said that though, it does generally entail a longer visit than one day due to the need to explore a bit and wait for decent light. Turning up at 11:00 and having to leave at 17:00 just aint gonna cut it I'm afraid.

So who's up for a weekend away?

Warwick Castle ... or any other site of historic value when a re-enactment activity/battle is being held ... or would that be too touristy?

CT, havent been to Cannock Chase in years ... do Sutton Park now & then though.
These days isnt cannock Chase better known for the activities that go on up there inside the cars!:shock:

InaGlo said:
These days isnt cannock Chase better known for the activities that go on up there inside the cars!:shock:

I think that was always the case. :D

The LD sounds good to me.

Also agree it would be better to make a weekend of it.

Peak District or Snowdonia? Anyone fancy a hike up Snowdon?

I'm off to the Lake District with another photography forum a week on Friday for 3 days and am really looking forward to it.

When are we looking at for the TPF meet? If its too soon my wife won't be amused about me going away for another weekend....

Other than that a zoo/wildlife/bird sanctuary would get my vote - is Martin Mere still open? Anyone been there recently?

Chester Zoo would be good... 5 mins from where I live :D. Snowdonia sounds good, but my choice would be Portmerion, on the Llyn Peninsula, a fascinating place.

Mike

We havent sorted dates out yet, was hoping for a few suggestions (which we have had thank you) before we worked out when etc and put to a proper vote where.

So far i like the sound of (in no particular order)

1) Portmeirion (been once and is a fantastic place even in the rain lol)
2) Lake District (agree this would ideally be a weekend job)
3) Any zoo (im a glutton for pics of animals lol)

So we will see if any more suggestions come up and then i will list all thew suggestions made here and we will whittle down to a shortlist and then vote on it.

Theres nothing to say we only do one meet either really, after all Rob (Arkady ) has already arranged to do some street type stuff with people and they count as meets too i guess :)

I vote for Munich, the beers good and cheap, there's a zoo here, plenty of architecture, lots of open parks, wooded walks and then there is the Alps and many lakes within a hours train ride. What more could anyone want? :D

So whos up for that? :whistle2:

Really? you had better drop me a line before you come over!!! :)

Back