Suggestions on lens for a nikon d5000

Name
Jennifer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys... im jus beginner, I've been takin pictures on the 18-55 lens and feel its quite limited.. would like a to purchase a lens where I could do some more general photography mostly scenery, landscapes, street and also people (not necassarly portait pics but where i could take pictures with people and the view behind)

Could you suggest what lens I could buy.. i heard the sigma 18 - 200 mm is quite good n cheap , I have youtubed the reviews but still confused what to get:bang:

Jennifer

Hi Jenny

Well, the 18-55 is a general lens and should serve you quite well, it's certainly adequate for the style of photography you mention.

It sounds like you want a lens that will be quite wide at one end with a long end also. It depends on several things really, is image quality important to you? How much zoom do you desire and of course your budget?

For street/people I would opt for a 35mm or 50mm prime personally (f/1.4G for both) and for landscape/scenery something a bit wider perhaps. You can pick up a Voigtlander 20mm prime relatively cheap.

However, if you want an "all in one lens" you'll probably have to waive a little on IQ so make sure a decent lens is considered. I'd stick with Nikon lenses preferably and I'm sure someone here will recommend something in the range of 18-120. Nikon do a 18-120 and I'd look at the one as a benchmark.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Hi guys... im jus beginner, I've been takin pictures on the 18-55 lens and feel its quite limited.. would like a to purchase a lens where I could do some more general photography mostly scenery, landscapes, street and also people (not necassarly portait pics but where i could take pictures with people and the view behind)

Could you suggest what lens I could buy.. i heard the sigma 18 - 200 mm is quite good n cheap , I have youtubed the reviews but still confused what to get:bang:

Jennifer

Hi, the 18-55 is fine for landscapes and such. The 18-300 and such suffer from the aparture drip off. For portrait I use either my 60mm f2 or 55-300mm. I think you need to firstly look in to the focal range you need. The kit lens is pretty good to start with

Thanks alot barratt 1988 and Digifrog this realy helped me out. I now know what lenses I need :):D

Your lens sounds just fine for everything you mentioned. The sigma you mentioned is not as good as the lens you have already. You could add a nikon 55-200 to your kit lens given you the same coverage as the sigma but better image quality and save you money. You may then have the money to buy a nikon 35mm prime which would be nice for and people.

Last edited:
I would just add. The 18-55 kit lens is a great lens.

Ive got a selection of lenses 55-200, 70-300, 35mm and the one i always go for for general walkabout is the 18-55.

If you are unhappy with the results then practice, practice and then practice some more. Honestly, until you understand how the lens is limiting you going for a "better" lens isn't going to help.

It is a great lens.

I recently sold my D7000 but kept my trusty old D5000 as a back up to my new Sony nex6.. The lenses I kept for it are my 50mm 1.4 and sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4, this is a nice lens to use. I also liked the Nikon 18-105mm I had but preferred the sigma so that went with the D7000..

Just remember if you want to auto focus on the D5000 you will need to get motorised lens

Back