Suicidal Cyclist

Weirdly enough most of the middle age wannabees on their carbon jock rockets near me seem to have spent all their money on shiny bits and never seem to bother buying a bell. Seems they ruin the lines of their fine machines. Had one a while ago literally creap up on me and the wife put walking and give a polite excuse me can I come pass while trying very hard to balance on his cleats at zero miles an hour.

i don't have a bell, however, I'm capable of saying "excuse me" and "thank you", which I think is far more effective and politer than dinging a bell at someone anyway.

Interestingly when i bought my bike through the cycle to work scheme (delivered direct by leisure lakes bikes) it didn't come with a bell which I am sure is against the law. Anyway In order to have the lights on my bike renders there no space for a bell so I don't have one. On the rare occasions I use a cycle path and have to pass people I always slow down and give a friendly "cyclist coming through" followed by a "thank you". It seems to work without issue........so far anyway.

bells are much better if approaching some one with a dog as it alerts the dog also generally I find, they perk there ears up and it allows a bit more time for the owner to bring a loose dog under control.
To be honest I also don't mind your approach as long as a decent bit of warning is given.

my wife says the arrogant lot without bells are oddly enough called.................. Bell Ends.

i don't have a bell, however, I'm capable of saying "excuse me" and "thank you", which I think is far more effective and politer than dinging a bell at someone anyway.

but how far away from the people in front (with their backs to you probably) are you when you call.
A bell gives much more notice and is much more recognised by people also what about language barriers?
I live in a very mixed language part of Yorkshire.

bells are much better if approaching some one with a dog as it alerts the dog also generally I find, they perk there ears up and it allows a bit more time for the owner to bring a loose dog under control.
To be honest I also don't mind your approach as long as a decent bit of warning is given.

my wife says the arrogant lot without bells are oddly enough called.................. Bell Ends.

Im always super cautious around dogs as they can be so sporadic especially if off the lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
but how far away from the people in front (with their backs to you probably) are you when you call.
A bell gives much more notice and is much more recognised by people also what about language barriers?
I live in a very mixed language part of Yorkshire.

If it's you I'll make sure I'm about 5mm behind you and shout as loud as I can ;)

So, to summarise this thread:

Deaf elderly pedestrian can't hear the cycle bell - cyclist's fault
Drivers can't see cyclists in broad daylight - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on shared path, so pedestrians not happy - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on road, so car drivers not happy - cyclist's fault
Poverty and world hunger - cyclist's fault

Have I forgotten anything? Let's pile it on :exit:

I's only a matter of time before the Daily Mail blames cyclists for sabotaging Brexit.

Very difficult to fit a bell on a road bike. With a reflector, lights and gps on the bars, there’s barely room for my hands.

Which is why I think road bikes are better ridden on roads, than on shared footpaths

Im always super cautious around dogs as they can be so sporadic especially if off the lead.

That’s a topic for a whole thread on its own, isn’t it?

‘Should dogs be allowed to be off leash on a pedestrian/cycling path.’

I find this extremely dangerous when cycling but people love dogs and hate cyclists, so it must be ok....

Anyway In order to have the lights on my bike renders there no space for a bell so I don't have one.
Is there no where to fit screen washers so you can "soak" the pedestrians as you pass them? :D

That’s a topic for a whole thread on its own, isn’t it?

‘Should dogs be allowed to be off leash on a pedestrian/cycling path.’

I find this extremely dangerous when cycling but people love dogs and hate cyclists, so it must be ok....

Yes. They do ;) ;)

& yes, they should. I know it comes across as anti-cyclist to say it and its not meant that way, but if a path is pedestrian/cycling why can't a cyclist ride appropriately for the conditions (kids/dogs etc) saving themselves and others potentl injury

Who would have thought cycling could produce so many "ooh err misses" :LOL:

The golf club has 2 buggies on trial at the moment - one of them appears to be fitted with a pair of gentleman's liquid bed pan type things... /offtopic!

Just checking TP, as someone who chooses to cycle i'm a dick, c***, arrogant t***, confruntational (sic) idiot, complete muppet and deserve to get squirted by windscreen wipers.

Some of you old men need to calm down before you have a heart attack. Try riding a bicycle, it's good for your heart and state of mind.

Read my initial post you quoted from fully and then please quote me accurately ! As I said I'm a cyclist and yes, there are dicks out there !

Also, please don't go putting me with some of the comments on this thread !

Cheers (y)

Yup, there are dicks out there on cycles and they think they're in the right !

I can't believe the attitude of some when I'm out cycling - they think that red lights don't mean them and then start giving the all when a driver nearly hits them or blasts their horn at them - I just sit there on my bike shrugging my shoulders with the car driver sat next me - still waiting for 1 to get squished and I will happily tell the police what a longer they were !!!

It would be nice if more cyclists had bells and used them. Theres a nice shared path nearby where i walk with my two year old who is on a balance bike. I always make sure i am behind him to make sure no bikes can crash into him, but a lot of bikes fly by within inches of me, with me shouting "BELL!" after them! Please can cyclists be more considerate on the shared use path?

On the other side of the coin, when i ride my bike in the roads, cars are often very impatient and frequently get too close for comfort. An annoying manouver is too overtake the cyclist then turn left in front of them...

The only thing that can make things better is more empathy between road users, but not sure how to get people to think about that....

I unexpectedly found my bell a lot harder to operate when wearing gloves at the start of winter...:oops: :$

So, to summarise this thread:

Deaf elderly pedestrian can't hear the cycle bell - cyclist's fault
Drivers can't see cyclists in broad daylight - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on shared path, so pedestrians not happy - cyclist's fault
Cyclist rides on road, so car drivers not happy - cyclist's fault
Poverty and world hunger - cyclist's fault

Have I forgotten anything? Let's pile it on :exit:

You obviously have complete contempt for the elderly and disabled. About the norm for this forum

You obviously have complete contempt for the elderly and disabled. About the norm for this forum

Bravo! You got to the bottom of my post in a jiffy.

Very astute man, you.

Has someone by chance linked this thread to a cycling forum ?
The last couple of days most of the cyclist \I have seen have had some sort of bright clothing on
making them far easier to see.
One did make me smile, dressed in black with flourescent green gloves :D

One did make me smile, dressed in black with flourescent green gloves :D
I saw one yesterday, black with bright florescent yellow socks, quite fetching I thought ..

Bravo! You got to the bottom of my post in a jiffy.

Very astute man, you.

No, only on line 1,regarding loss of hearing and becoming elderly which according to your post I will be blaming cyclists for this

Last edited:
Back