Talk to me about editing on an iPad Pro

Have you tried this approach? I remember I had issue while trying to import it into (copy / paste) into a folder under OneDrive. It stuck and couldn’t get rid of the partially imported files. Wondering if its different if you import directly into in iPad folder OR iCloud folder.

Yep, been running like this since September with no issues at all. Once LR is updated soon to allow direct import from external storage then this step won't be needed, the whole thing will be done from the LR app. I've only tried it from local storage, haven't done anything with iCloud as my home internet is so slow, uploading Raw files isn't really possible from my house.

Yep, been running like this since September with no issues at all. Once LR is updated soon to allow direct import from external storage then this step won't be needed, the whole thing will be done from the LR app. I've only tried it from local storage, haven't done anything with iCloud as my home internet is so slow, uploading Raw files isn't really possible from my house.
Thanks, just tried it with few raw shots... works fine!

Thanks, just tried it with few raw shots... works fine!

The only thing that annoys me is that there is no progress bar, or any indication the app is doing anything at all when importing to Lightroom. It looks like the process hasn't worked if you're importing a couple of hundred files but it seems to just run in the background

Well, having gone for the 2TB option with iCloud for storing all my photos in the cloud I’ve discovered that although I’ve got 1.8TB left I can’t move anymore flies because I don’t have enough space on my MacBook! Seems all the files I copied to iCloud are also on my Airs SSD! So, those not using creative cloud which cloud service do you use.

Well, having gone for the 2TB option with iCloud for storing all my photos in the cloud I’ve discovered that although I’ve got 1.8TB left I can’t move anymore flies because I don’t have enough space on my MacBook! Seems all the files I copied to iCloud are also on my Airs SSD! So, those not using creative cloud which cloud service do you use.
Isn’t that controlled by Settings/Photos/Download and keep originals? There’s also Photos/Optimise iPad storage.

Steve, this may or may not be much use to you, but I only store my snaps on external drives.

What I do is a bit long winded at the moment as I only have a 2017 model iPad pro (waiting for the new one to be released) that will only read or write to an SD card as its not powerful enough to drive an external drive. But I copy any files that I want to work on to an SD card via my PC and upload them from that to my iPad and then back again after they are PPd.

The other way I sometimes work is to upload some files to Dropbox via my PC and open them from there, PP them and send them back to my external drives via a my PC.

When I get my new iPad pro they will of course load direct from an external drive.

I have just invested in a new MacBook pro (which I just can’t get on with) so there is the option with that to transfer files via Air Drop, but I don’t want to get too involved with that as its my intention to get a new windows unit in the new year and out the MacBook.

George.

Isn’t that controlled by Settings/Photos/Download and keep originals? There’s also Photos/Optimise iPad storage.

Yes it is and I had Photos/Optimise iPad selected, but I still had 99GB of my photos on the Macbook Air in the drive folder. I googled it and it seems its just the way apple do it, iCloud Drive is considered more of a back up and syncing option rather than a separate entity itself. It actually says on the System Preferences on my MacBook Air, with the optimise Mac storage clicked, 'the full contents of iCloud Drive with be stored on this Mac if you have enough space.'

Steve, this may or may not be much use to you, but I only store my snaps on external drives.

What I do is a bit long winded at the moment as I only have a 2017 model iPad pro (waiting for the new one to be released) that will only read or write to an SD card as its not powerful enough to drive an external drive. But I copy any files that I want to work on to an SD card via my PC and upload them from that to my iPad and then back again after they are PPd.

The other way I sometimes work is to upload some files to Dropbox via my PC and open them from there, PP them and send them back to my external drives via a my PC.

When I get my new iPad pro they will of course load direct from an external drive.

I have just invested in a new MacBook pro (which I just can’t get on with) so there is the option with that to transfer files via Air Drop, but I don’t want to get too involved with that as its my intention to get a new windows unit in the new year and out the MacBook.

George.

Thanks George, I have mine on an external drive too, but wanted to put all my photos in the cloud, as a backup, and also so I can work with them on the iPad. Mine is a 2018 11in iPad so eternal drives can be easily attached but, personally I think, it defeats the object of having a portable device for editing but having to attach an external drive.

I think the upload files for editing by dropbox, or another cloud service seems a good possible alternative and I'll look into that, although my dropbox is the free version with only 5GB and their upgrades are quite expensive, maybe google drive might be an option.

Last edited:
Under Settings/General/iPad Storage/Optimise Storage it tells me I could save 130gb on my iPad. Currently shows 163 of 250gb used, could save almost all of it. iPad Pro 10.5 in iPadOS 13.2.3. I have the 200gb iCloud sub so much smaller than yours, which may make a difference, I guess 2tb of reduced size files may still fill your iPad???

Under Settings/General/iPad Storage/Optimise Storage it tells me I could save 130gb on my iPad. Currently shows 163 of 250gb used, could save almost all of it. iPad Pro 10.5 in iPadOS 13.2.3. I have the 200gb iCloud sub so much smaller than yours, which may make a difference, I guess 2tb of reduced size files may still fill your iPad???
It's not the iPad thats the problem, it's my Macbook Air. I don't directly import them to my iPad and iCloud doesn't store them on the iPad. How I intended on doing it, was importing via my Air to the cloud, then editing each one in Affinity on the iPad. I actually wanted all my photos in the cloud from the last 15 years and then been able to re-edit some of them on the iPad, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen now. Perhaps something similar to George's workflow might be my best option.

Last edited:
It's not the iPad thats the problem, it's my Macbook Air. I don't directly import them to my iPad and iCloud doesn't store them on the iPad. How I intended on doing it, was importing via my Air to the cloud, then editing each one in Affinity on the iPad. I actually wanted all my photos in the cloud from the last 15 years and then been able to re-edit some of them on the iPad, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen now. Perhaps something similar to George's workflow might be my best option.
So I’m talking rubbish as usual! I thought the macOS version worked the same way but I was assuming you were using Apple Photos to transfer them to iCloud, I don’t know any other way to do it though I haven’t looked.

So I’m talking rubbish as usual! I thought the macOS version worked the same way but I was assuming you were using Apple Photos to transfer them to iCloud, I don’t know any other way to do it though I haven’t looked.
Not talking rubbish Richard, we've just got our wires crossed. I considered using photos to store in the cloud, but decided to copy them directly to iCloud Drive instead through my MacBook. All my photos are on a portable hard drive and I was going to use iCloud Drive as a duplicate. Unfortunately thats just not working as I had hoped.

Just so everyone is aware, the latest update to Lightroom on the iPad now allows direct import from a memory card or other external storage device, without going through the Photos or Files app first. This update also brings the more granular image export options that arrived on Android a couple of weeks ago.

Just so everyone is aware, the latest update to Lightroom on the iPad now allows direct import from a memory card or other external storage device, without going through the Photos or Files app first. This update also brings the more granular image export options that arrived on Android a couple of weeks ago.
Seen this yesterday, about time as this was my biggest gripe with LR mobile CC, I’ve not actually tried it yet, have you ?

just wondering what the import is like for viewing/sorting and also speed ?

Ultimately whilst I loved the portability and the Apple Pencil, I’ve decided editing on an iPad wasn’t for me. I struggled with consistency in my work, and although some things were easier a few things got more tedious.

so the iPad has gone and a shiny MBP arrived which is what I should of done first of all.

Seen this yesterday, about time as this was my biggest gripe with LR mobile CC, I’ve not actually tried it yet, have you ?

just wondering what the import is like for viewing/sorting and also speed ?

Did a quick import of just a few image files and it seemed ok. The UI is just the standard Apple Files app UI that appears over the top of LR so however that is for viewing and sorting is how it is. Probably quicker to just import everything and do the culling in LR. I tend to pause the cloud syncing until everything is done and then just upload my completed files at the end of the editing process.

Just a quick "Heads Up"

I've very recently started to try some video shooting on my Camera & iPhone and editing it on my iPad as I was so impressed with the material that @garryknight had produced on his.

He said that most of his videos etc are now processed on his iPad using "Lumafusion", so I purchased the app from the app store and started to play around with it. It's probably the best video editing app available for an iPad and to me it will do more than I'll ever want to do.

At the moment I find it a little confusing, but that's certainly not a problem as I'm 100% new to video so any editing software would be confusing to me at the moment.

What I have managed to find today is a really good free course on "Lumafusion" via YouTube, starting at the basics and advancing to the complex. I've put a link to it below should anyone be interested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmKFPpI67ZM&list=PLc4X0Mis51cvfWLsNpHVvTTT19jWZplPZ&index=1

George.

Well, after the last couple of years avoiding going down the iPad Pro route for all of my post-processing, I am finally biting the bullet and getting a iPad Pro 11" 256GB.
My plan is to drift away from the Adobe Lightroom application which I have used ever since I got into photography and try something with no subscriptions.

Darkroom for iOS iPad
Affinity Photo for iOS iPad

:D

Check out Pixelmator photo, its a great raw editor and amazing value. I use it alongside Lightroom cc and affinity photo.

Right so had some time to do some post-processing on my iPad Pro 11" and must say its a very slick process.
I am using Darkroom for the time being, not dove into Affinity Photo yet but I can see myself going down this route for all my editing etc. :D
I will check out PIxelmator Photo too when I get some time.

Right so had some time to do some post-processing on my iPad Pro 11" and must say its a very slick process.
I am using Darkroom for the time being, not dove into Affinity Photo yet but I can see myself going down this route for all my editing etc. :D
I will check out PIxelmator Photo too when I get some time.

Riz, “Affinity Photo” for iPad is “Excellent” and well worth investing in. There’s also an “Excellent” coarse available from “Udemy” that’s also well worth contributing to.

George.

Riz, “Affinity Photo” for iPad is “Excellent” and well worth investing in. There’s also an “Excellent” coarse available from “Udemy” that’s also well worth contributing to.

George.
Did you take the course George? Its only £15 at the moment.

Did you take the course George? Its only £15 at the moment.

I sure did Steve.

You can't actually download it (or at least I've not managed to find out how to do it) but you can access it with any internet connection. What I have done is play it on my MacBook or iPhone and work through various bits of it on my iPad. It's very easy to go right back into earlier bits of the coarse just whenever you want to.

George.

I thought I would give the iPad a go at editing a family event and had mixed feelings about it. I tested the free versions of Afterlight, Slidebox, HashPhotos, Lumibee and Darkroom.

I AirDropped 100 or so RAW images from my MacBook over to the iPad and they appeared in Files. A lot of the programs refused to talk to the RAW photos as were looking for images in the native Photos app which I didn't want to go down. The one that did (Darkroom) kept choking at importing them in. The other apps just displayed low resolution thumbnails.

It seems I want an app that talks to the Files api natively so can just put images on the iPad and then edit and export and then move onto the next event. The only one that I can see does that is Pixelmator Photos? Do they offer a trial or refund as it is a paid app? Am I missing any other apps that can talk to Files for simple touchups and edits whereby I dump photos on the iPad, delete the ones I don't want and fine tune the others to send out to family.

I got the job done on the MacBook eventually but the ease of deleting photos and the load times on the iPad were rapid. RAW images were viewable way quicker on the iPad than my relatively new MacBook which could not understand why.

Any tips or pointers to give it another go? Thanks.

George.

Got it and I think the course will be on the cards when I have some free time :)

"HEADS UP"

Just in case you didn't know, all you users of the iPad version of "Affinity Photo", there's a new software update now available with a whole bunch of useful things included.

George.

"HEADS UP"

Just in case you didn't know, all you users of the iPad version of "Affinity Photo", there's a new software update now available with a whole bunch of useful things included.

George.
I was wondering if we were going to get an update, the desktop version received one a week or so ago.

if the mavic camera had removable lens I would say yes it the sensor, but its a sealed unit on the mavics, I have never seen so much dust on a sensor even a dslr

Last edited:
Unfortunately my iPad is too old for affinity photo it’s a mk1 iPad Air
But I’ve just started using affinity on my MacBook and it’s great
As soon as I can afford a new iPad I’ll be getting affinity for it
Affinity is half price at the moment in case anyone didn’t know

Affinity Photo for iPad is half-price at the moment, so I've downloaded it to try out (2018 iPad 6, no Pro).

I believe you can trial the Mac/PC versions, but AAIU Apple's iOS app distribution system doesn't really work with time-limited trials.

At £9.99 I thought it was worth the risk (two McHappy meals!)

I believe you can trial the Mac/PC versions, but AAIU Apple's iOS app distribution system doesn't really work with time-limited trials.

At £9.99 I thought it was worth the risk (two McHappy meals!)

It's certainly not a risk, for PP work on an iPad there is nothing that even comes close. There's also an extremely good video course for the iPad version via "Udemy" that's well worth getting and it covers virtually anything you're ever likely to want to do using "Affinity".

George.

if anyone has a suggested workflow for panoramas in lightroom and affinity on the ipad that would be great. Panoramas and photo merging are the one think i’m missing at the moment. The way I ended up doing it was to:
  • Process one image in LR
  • Sync all changes
  • Export to tif
  • Open in afinity
  • Merge to pano
  • Save to tiff
  • Import to LR
I struggled with getting the desired effects when editing the merged file in affinity directly, if I didn’t do any raw processing first.

Thought it would be a good bit more than that..........using Snapseed on iPad at the mo anybody got experience of both for a comparison...?

I've used both and there's just no comparison. Snapseed is great - I use it myself - and it's very, very simple to use. Affinity Photo is more like Photoshop, and is layer-based, and can take quite a while to learn. It's well worth learning though, even if only to drop Photoshop. ;)

Back