Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Anyone have any thoughts on this?............ Is the Tamron more suited to Nikon bodies and the Sigma version more suited to Canon?

I am waiting for the Nikon fit Sigma Contemporary to hit the shelves before deciding which one to buy. To what I have seen photo wise, I think the Tamron seems better than the Sigma Sport when used on a Nikon body, It seems to resolve finer detail, especially on the smaller birds or are my eyes playing tricks with me? I haven't done a sicientific test on this or compared what bodies have been used, it's just my perception.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?............ Is the Tamron more suited to Nikon bodies and the Sigma version more suited to Canon?

I am waiting for the Nikon fit Sigma Contemporary to hit the shelves before deciding which one to buy. To what I have seen photo wise, I think the Tamron seems better than the Sigma Sport when used on a Nikon body, It seems to resolve finer detail, especially on the smaller birds or are my eyes playing tricks with me? I haven't done a sicientific test on this or compared what bodies have been used, it's just my perception.

IQ-wise, my observation is that there certainly isn't the difference to justify the extra cost of the Sigma Sport.
Allegedly the only difference in the Contemporary is the build so I don't expect it's IQ to be any better - the Tamron certainly has the edge for me but whether it comes down to body I really can't say :)

IQ-wise, my observation is that there certainly isn't the difference to justify the extra cost of the Sigma Sport.
Allegedly the only difference in the Contemporary is the build so I don't expect it's IQ to be any better - the Tamron certainly has the edge for me but whether it comes down to body I really can't say :)

Its not my eyes playing tricks then!

I also haven't seen anything better IQ wise from the Sigma Sport over the Tamron. I need to look further into what bodies being used before making a fairer comparison. I will be using it on a D750 so it wouldn't be to fair if I have been looking at shots from something like a 1000d (my first DSLR). Also the Tamron has been out longer so probably seeing more photos from that lens over the Sigma.

I'm edging towards the Tamron at the moment after seeing your's and others photos on here, but will wait until I have the chance to try both.

the glass layout & coatings are different in the sports version...mark.

I had the Tamron and both sigma lenses on Canon and the Tamron and sport on Nikon. From my tests and usage I would recommend, overall, the Sigma contemporary. That is the only one I will be keeping for my Nikon as I found the image quality to be great (a hair better than the Tamron) and the ability to use the dock and teleconverter is good to have. Also the build quality is better than the Tamron and 50g lighter to seal the deal :)

I doubt there's too much difference in overall image quality. Price can play an important factor too. mine for £650 sealed the deal.

I doubt there's too much difference in overall image quality. Price can play an important factor too. mine for £650 sealed the deal.

Where from for that price? Thanks.

Cracking shot Adrian, obviously a good combination :)

Thanks Gramps was very pleased today with this,I think the lens may be a keeper :)

Well, bit the bullet and bought one off the forum. While getting my kit together for old warden yesterday, had serious doubts as I was handling my 300mm f4... It will never be as good!

Well, have put a couple of posts in the transport section, and pleased to say it looks like the 300mm will be heading to the classifieds soon. Used it on the d700 and felt good. Ability to zoom was great and the many poor shots were down to poor panning rather than the kit! Even peeping I am not seeing much difference between this and the nikon, and any loss of iq is probably compensated for in less cropping. Looking forward to really testing this at duxford soon on a dx body to give me 900mm!

I have still yet to push this on the D7200, I wonder what the image quality is going to be when it go from 900mm to 1200mm by turning on the 1.3 crop mode :exit:

That's what I'm worried about. Mine is the same. AF is outstanding but struggling to get the fine details. Especially if the bird is a bit further. Tamron is slower but sharper. I'm crazy enough to have both lenses...

What lens would you recommend more then on a 70d for for day to day use, weather it at a safari park or marshes for birds or even at Track for moto gp..

Tamron 150-600
Sigma Contempary 150-600

Both are around the same price..

To be honest about it i wouldn't think there is much to choose between them,availability may be your deciding factor.

What lens would you recommend more then on a 70d for for day to day use, weather it at a safari park or marshes for birds or even at Track for moto gp..

Tamron 150-600
Sigma Contempary 150-600

Both are around the same price..

Never had Sigma Contemporary but Tamron is great for day to day use. Also will have Tamron and Sigma Sport in classified section soon. Nothing wrong with either, but need money badly...

Never had Sigma Contemporary but Tamron is great for day to day use. Also will have Tamron and Sigma Sport in classified section soon. Nothing wrong with either, but need money badly...

when do you think you will list the tamron as i am currently looking at buying one

That sounds good. Do you know when this maybe that you will be listing them ?

I have owned both the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-600 C and IMHO the Sigma is the better lens. IQ wise at the shorter focal lengths (say up to 300mm) the Sigma is certainly better IMO. At the 600mm end there is not much in it but I think the Sigma shades it in the centre of the frame. Where I am most impressed with the Sigma is the AF, it seem snappier than the Tammy to me, especially in low contrast situation. I am amazed how well if AF's with a 1.4x tc to give 840mm, considering it is at f9 it locks on most subjects fairly quickly. I should say that I am using a Canon 1.4x tc MkII (with the 7D2 and 5D3). For some reason it appears that the canon converter works a lot better than a Sigma one which is very strange!. The dock for the Sigma is also a nice option for fine tuning. For anyone that already has the Tamron I am not sure it is worth changing unless you are often reach limited and would like to use a 1.4x tc or think that the Tamron's AF is a bit lacking for you. Both lenses are very good value for money in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have owned both the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-600 C and IMHO the Sigma is the better lens. IQ wise at the shorter focal lengths (say up to 300mm) the Sigma is certainly better IMO. At the 600mm end there is not much in it but I think the Sigma shades it in the centre of the frame. Where I am most impressed with the Sigma is the AF, it seem snappier than the Tammy to me, especially in low contrast situation. I am amazed how well if AF's with a 1.4x tc to give 840mm, considering it is at f9 it locks on most subjects fairly quickly. I should say that I am using a Canon 1.4x tc MkII (with the 7D2 and 5D3). For some reason it appears that the canon converter works a lot better than a Sigma one which is very strange!. The dock for the Sigma is also a nice option for fine tuning. For anyone that already has the Tamron I am not sure it is worth changing unless you are often reach limited and would like to use a 1.4x tc or think that the Tamron's AF is a bit lacking for you. Both lenses are very good value for money in my opinion.

Thanks, im using a 70d, so wont be able to use the TC on there has i gather it wont AF past f8?..

i was looking more towards the sigma, only cause i have just got a 17-70 C lens with dock, so could be helpful.. all i need to work out is if i really need the 600 that much to spend the money and then have nothing in the 70-150 range. main reason for looking at something like this is going to some GP race this year in uk and valencia at end of season, so having something long enough for that, and if i start trying to do more wildlife and bird images

Last edited:
Had this lens a few week now. Mainly use it for birding. Starting to get the hang of it and I must say it's a cracking lens for the money. Thought I'd leave some shots here I took yesterday. They are high-ish res images so you can see the detail this lens can produce.

Jay

17541354186_be422e7da2_h.jpg

16947390533_3ae5afa58c_h.jpg

Grey Wagtail

17567713995_10e6b8af46_h.jpg

Greylag Goose Gosling

16945116434_3a8b864728_h.jpg

17567683685_ad513a7d33_h.jpg

Sedge Warbler

16947459513_5d6ea639f0_h.jpg

Chaffinch

17381421789_50669bcd45_h.jpg

Female Reed Bunting

17379940048_3e74aaae08_h.jpg

Lee

Had this lens a few week now. Mainly use it for birding. Starting to get the hang of it and I must say it's a cracking lens for the money. Thought I'd leave some shots here I took yesterday. They are high-ish res images so you can see the detail this lens can produce.

Jay

17541354186_be422e7da2_h.jpg

16947390533_3ae5afa58c_h.jpg

Grey Wagtail

17567713995_10e6b8af46_h.jpg

Greylag Goose Gosling

16945116434_3a8b864728_h.jpg

17567683685_ad513a7d33_h.jpg

Sedge Warbler

16947459513_5d6ea639f0_h.jpg

Chaffinch

17381421789_50669bcd45_h.jpg

Female Reed Bunting

17379940048_3e74aaae08_h.jpg

Lee

These shots are a great advert for the lens. Love it

knowing how picky you are Roy, it must be a good one.....:D..
Don't get me wrong Mark, its not up to a Canon big white prime that's for sure but for me it is the lightest option for a reasonable 600mm. If I were younger and stronger I would be going for something like a Canon 500/4.

Dont know what happened there

Last edited:
Back