Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Are any owners of the later version experiencing dust inside the lens?

I was going to buy a grey import (from DigitalRev) but if it needs to be periodically sent back under warranty to be cleaned then this might be an issue?

At long focal lengths it's unlikely that dust would be visible in any images but it's worth bearing it in mind. Would you be able to get the extended (5year) guarantee if you bought grey?

Had mine since July 2014 and use it regularly outside in reserves etc, I cannot see any dust inside the lens ... I can't swear that there isn't some dust but I am certainly not aware of any when looking down the lens.
FAIK there would need to be quite a bit of contamination in order to affect image quality and most lenses have some dust at some stage in their life anyway:)

That's good to hear. Dust isn't a big issue for me as you say, but it could be to someone else in the future if I ever decide to sell it on.

At long focal lengths it's unlikely that dust would be visible in any images but it's worth bearing it in mind. Would you be able to get the extended (5year) guarantee if you bought grey?

That's what I'm wondering. DigitalRev offer their own warranty but I don't think it would be 5 years, probably only one, and I'd have to ship it back to them to be fixed, which could be costly.

Anyone with a grey Tamron and official warranty?

Last edited:
Best UK price I can find is £889 inc 5-year warranty, I doubt you would get the warranty with a grey and would need to liaise with the supplier ... who may or may not arrange a UK inspection/repair.

Can anyone tell what if any arca swiss plate they are using?
Wimberley P-20 and P-30 and Kirk are recommended but wanted to see if anyone used any cheaper options?

Can anyone tell what if any arca swiss plate they are using?
Wimberley P-20 and P-30 and Kirk are recommended but wanted to see if anyone used any cheaper options?

I have a couple of dozen Arca-Swiss type plates, from 50mm to 200mm, and paid less than a tenner for most of them. I would only buy expensive branded plates if used with a lever-lock clamp where absolutely exact dimensions are essential for a reliable fit (unless you want to fiddle with the clamp adjustment every time). There are two main types of Arca-Swiss plate - the camera plates have a rubberised grippy surface and are hollowed out underneath to save weight. The lens plates generally have anti-rotation lugs on one end and are heavier/stronger.

These lens plates are good quality and value, though there are tons similar on Amazon/ebay http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-L...666423&sr=1-16&keywords=arca+swiss+lens+plate Decide on the length you need by checking the balance point - fit the camera and put a pencil or something under the lens foot. Move the position back and forth until it's balanced, remembering that the lens extends a lot at 600mm and the balance point will shift forward, and of course it will shift a lot in use when you point the lens up/down. You'll probably need a long plate and I think 169mm is the longest of that particular one in the link. Should be fine I think.

There are two main types of Arca-Swiss plate - the camera plates have a rubberised grippy surface and are hollowed out underneath to save weight. The lens plates generally have anti-rotation lugs on one end and are heavier/stronger.

There's a third type, possible restricted to Kirk, one that has a moulded top surface to match the base of the particular camera that the base was designed for. That makes it virtually impossible for the camera to twist on the plate (which even the best grippy surface can't claim). They may be more expensive, but the extra security and stability is worth it. LINK

I'm toying with one of these lenses to use with a 7D mkII, almost decided but still weighing up the benefits between this lens and a 100-400, I have the mkI version. A UK supplied one looks favourite with a 5 year warranty, and pricewise, £899 seems the going rate. However, I have noticed that if you buy from WEX through Quidco, you get a 5% cash back, worth considering.

The 100-400 with a 1.4 TC (I use the Kenko one even though I have a Canon TC, it seems to give better IQ than the Canon) gives 560mm and is nearly comparable focal length wise to the Tammy, so can I ask if anyone has tried that combination and compared it to the Tammy regarding IQ. Reading the reviews seem very positive on this lens and the posts in this thread are generally positive

Bear in mind the effective focal length of the combinations you're thinking of?

400 mm on a 7d2 = 640 mm; with a 1.4x converter = 896 mm. How often are you going to need this kind of magnification, and have you considered the technical limitations you would then have to deal with - camera shake, depth of field?

600mm on a 7d2 = 960 mm.

I used a 100-400 mk1 and a 1.4x converter before getting my 150-600 and the results with the new lens are much better, although I suppose there could have been a problem with my particular 100-400.

I suppose there could have been a problem with my particular 100-400.
Thanks Jeremy, that's always an unknown of course, or at least difficult to prove without an identical lens to compare with. Your right about the FL's, but for wildlife I still feel that 400 on the 7D2 isn't quite enough, but then, it never is. I had a 500 f/4 which was perfect and I loved it, but it was far too heavy to carry far, so I suppose I am looking for something with a similar reach, and the Tammy looks like a good compromise.
I know there will be some IQ loss using a 1.4TC on a 100-400, so it seems reasonable to think that the Tammy will give better results and the comments/reviews seem to agree with this, so I've ordered one and am looking forward to having a play.

Last edited:
It does look like this is going to be a serious contender in the 150-600 market, especially at the price, weight, and IQ. Mine arrived and I have only managed to use it properly once, I posted a few pictures here. I wont post them again in this thread. So far I have no regrets for buying it and am looking forward to getting used to it and using it more.

Very dull day yesterday but tried the Tamron 150-600 on my 'new to me' D7100

1. Juvenile Shoveler

PB%20Shoveler_zpsusx87d7k.jpg

2. Ringed Teal

PB%20Ringed%20Teal_zpsicswnzyi.jpg

3. Goldcrest (1st for me)
PB%20Goldcrest_zpshhuxkjv7.jpg

The gloom has seriously affected the Goldcrest image, (one of about 25 images I got), but I would have had no chance of getting any sort of image had I not had the reach of the Tamron with me.
A 600mm f4 would have been lovely to have had but I am not sure that I would have had the dexterity to follow this busy bird with the size/weight of that lens, whereas with the Tamron it was easy(ish)!

Last edited:
looks like you missed focus on the goldcrest..the leaves seem sharp..what type of metering are you using..mark

I did, I've never even seen one before ... if you are familiar with them you will know how quickly they move, I have a number of bramble-only shots :D

IIRC metering was centre-weighted.

Three impressive shots Gramps, the two taken at 600 especially are showing the ability of this lens.

Have to say they wipe the floor with what I was getting from the Sigma 150-600mm Sport ... much more like what I get with the 50-500mm OS on my Pentax kit.

I saw your post and how disappointed you were with the Sigma, Mike ... not good if it was due to poor delivery packaging :(

Great lens, has anyone tried a Canon 1.4 extender with one of these? If so does it work?

Cheers,

That's what I'm worried about. Mine is the same. AF is outstanding but struggling to get the fine details. Especially if the bird is a bit further. Tamron is slower but sharper. I'm crazy enough to have both lenses...

Is the Sigma compatible with the USB Dock?
If so would an adjustment make any difference?

Back