Tattoos.....who's got them

Fear of needles put me off, and I’m not going to change now, why are so many tattoos now single colour or various shades of black/grey, what happened to colour pictures.?

I'm not a tattoo aficionado, by my wife (who has a couple of discrete small ones - tattoos) tells me its because of awareness that coloured inks fade at varying degrees over time, and of course then there is the copycat thing - Beckham and all the Z-list celebrities tend to have the mono colour ones so the lemmings all follow (those are my words, not my wife's)

Fear of needles put me off, and I’m not going to change now, why are so many tattoos now single colour or various shades of black/grey, what happened to colour pictures.?
The forearm was far more sensitive than my upper arm so I'm glad it was only 5 1/2 hours. I think the colour v b&w debate for me is no different than photography, it's purely down to personal taste and less to do with trends and fashion.

Got mine done back in the 70’s just on arms, normal thing, tiger, eagle etc. One thing that sticks in my memory is they were all done by a guy who use to operate at the end of Brighton pier. Not exactly hygienic. Years before we heard of aids, he use to test the colours on his own knee before using same needle on customers. My arms not fallen off yet, but I shudder when I think back.‍♀️

I've never had the slightest inclination to get a tattoo. I don't find them attractive at all, on either sex, but whatever. It's a personal choice, and I don't criticise other people for making their own decisions if these don't impact/concern anyone else.

Biggest regret I've ever had is getting them below the elbow.

When you're in corporate sales trying to pull off a big deal with a stuffy old fashioned IT director, they don't help at all..... But I had a life before I was "corporate"....
I have a full sleeve that stops at the wrist, purposely so a long sleeved shirt would cover it up for meetings with customers/suppliers. It didn't take long for me to not worry about it and now wear short sleeved more often than not. I don't feel I've ever been judged badly at work for them and have absolutely no regrets. I'm 50 now and would happily have more done.

I have a full sleeve that stops at the wrist, purposely so a long sleeved shirt would cover it up for meetings with customers/suppliers. It didn't take long for me to not worry about it and now wear short sleeved more often than not. I don't feel I've ever been judged badly at work for them and have absolutely no regrets. I'm 50 now and would happily have more done.

Im 58, had my first one at 16 (that's what happens when you grow up in a navy town I guess). However, as I moved into sales, dealing with IT & Financial directors who were 55-65 and I was just 30'ish, I just realised that they had a completely different view of people than I did. Even now, when I'm self employed and out of the IT industry I still don't like my arms being visible in front of clients.

Like I said, in hindsight, I'd wish I didn't have them, they're up both arms, and they've been there a long time, last one I had when I was around 20.

Im 58, had my first one at 16 (that's what happens when you grow up in a navy town I guess). However, as I moved into sales, dealing with IT & Financial directors who were 55-65 and I was just 30'ish, I just realised that they had a completely different view of people than I did. Even now, when I'm self employed and out of the IT industry I still don't like my arms being visible in front of clients.

Like I said, in hindsight, I'd wish I didn't have them, they're up both arms, and they've been there a long time, last one I had when I was around 20.
Admittedly my terms of reference aren't as long as yours, I had my sleeve done in my 40's. I don't think there's as much discrimination, if any, these days as there probably was back then.
I think modern inks and a good tattooer mean that modern tattoos don't fade like they used to either. Mine are as fresh today as they were 5 years ago.

Always fancied getting a tat but never could find an image that meant enough for me to have it permanently erm tattooed onto my body.

Well since 2015 I went and got one. At 59 I got my first (possibly only.. but who knows) tattoo on my lower arm and I love it. I don't care who sees it or what they think of it or me although the dilligaf attitude is probably a factor of my age.

Well, Mr Bob...:) Quite a few reasons not least those cited by Trevor (Sky)..three posts back.

It’s usually permanent so having ones heart desire’s name tattooed would be regretted if the relationship broke down. ‘Mum’...‘Dad’ ...? Could never get my head round that one. The insertion of granules of ink under the skin. The risk of infection no matter the measures taken to minimise it by the tattooist.They would include hepatitis B and C..MSRI . Allergic reaction to the ink. I’ve seen people with very recent tattoos wearing bandages. Tattooed skin releases 50% less perspiration and concentrates salt than that for non- tattooed skin and salt is re-absorbed but a tattoo inhibits this. It can hide the likes of moles which could be cancerous. Putting on weight distorts them .

I think the most important aspect is the permanency of it. They can be removed ..by laser treatment....:rolleyes: but as mentioned above,it’s expensive and from what I’ve heard, painful too and leaves scarring..Steve (Jelster) has highlighted the downside ( in later life) of having them on view..but isn’t that the point ? making a statement to the world ?

I don’t abuse my body with nicatine or any other drug. I don’t drink alcohol..spirits/wine give me heartburn and having lived in Germany I don’t like english beer..so by default,really. If you have a good,healthy body keep it that way..You wouldn’t put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari...lol.

Reactions: Sky
Well, Mr Bob...:) Quite a few reasons not least those cited by Trevor (Sky)..three posts back.

It’s usually permanent so having ones heart desire’s name tattooed would be regretted if the relationship broke down. ‘Mum’...‘Dad’ ...? Could never get my head round that one. The insertion of granules of ink under the skin. The risk of infection no matter the measures taken to minimise it by the tattooist.They would include hepatitis B and C..MSRI . Allergic reaction to the ink. I’ve seen people with very recent tattoos wearing bandages. Tattooed skin releases 50% less perspiration and concentrates salt than that for non- tattooed skin and salt is re-absorbed but a tattoo inhibits this. It can hide the likes of moles which could be cancerous. Putting on weight distorts them .

I think the most important aspect is the permanency of it. They can be removed ..by laser treatment....:rolleyes: but as mentioned above,it’s expensive and from what I’ve heard, painful too and leaves scarring..Steve (Jelster) has highlighted the downside ( in later life) of having them on view..but isn’t that the point ? making a statement to the world ?

I don’t abuse my body with nicatine or any other drug. I don’t drink alcohol..spirits/wine give me heartburn and having lived in Germany I don’t like english beer..so by default,really. If you have a good,healthy body keep it that way..You wouldn’t put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari...lol.
That's your choice for your body....:)

Reactions: Nod

You're not the Pope in disguise are you? :LOL: I have never smoked, but do look forward to a glass of wine or a G&T at weekends...

I had two grandsons born in one week, and both died in one week after being born this year 2020. I will be getting a Tattoo on my arm soon. RESPECT and ALWAYS with me.
That is so sad, I'm sorry for your families loss.

Very sad, but whats even worse is the hospital have said one of them would of lived IF the staff had not made so many mistakes :mad::mad:
When you're at rock bottom you think it couldn't get any worse.

That's your choice for your body....:)

Well, yes it is but you asked why not (have tattoos). I gave reasons why not to have them and assuming those who have them and those who are considering having them were and are aware of those risks/ reasons and no doubt some I’ve overlooked then that is, of course, their choice. The matter of personal choice wasn’t what my response was about.

You're not the Pope in disguise are you? :LOL: I have never smoked, but do look forward to a glass of wine or a G&T at weekends...

Just had a thought. The Pope will drink wine, at least at Communion :D

I chicken out of getting one when in training was only 16, it was wait to get one, like the rest of the lads, or go to the pub :) the pub won

I love tattoos of all different styles. I have a few myself and have had my share of bad ones (subjective of course) and have thankfully had two of them covered up last year. Just one other I really don't like to get rid of in time.

I also decided I was going to get them every time I travel and last February I got the first of these in Bulgaria. A black and grey wave in a Fibbonaci Spiral. Then in Vietnam last year I got a compass overlaying a map, again in black and grey. These along with two more on my wrists, are the first I have ever had on show (lower arms, inside) and I honestly love them. I am booked in again in September for a full colour, traditional American style on my upper arm where it crosses the elbow. I will continue to populate my upper body with them when I travel or something takes my fancy.

My Dad also started getting them (again) in the last few years he was with us. Had some lovely stuff, too.

Just booked myself in for a full sleeve all ready have a few smaller ones , wanted something that reminded me of my old man who past away suddenly two years ago, each to there own I say.

Thread revival time again. My daughter at around 16 with a day of the dead twist. Photo about an hour after finished.IMG_20220212_204902_852.jpg

Thats cool. Dont have any myself but do like this type and the sort where it looks like the skin has been removed and terminator style mechanics are underneath.
I think it suits some people, others not. I dont get the crap that people get tattoed with and random Tatts that dont flow together

I went for War and Peace instead - fewer letters!!!

i chicken out when i was 16 in training went to the pub, might be getting one next year when I'm 60 ;)

Currently adding to my collection, 4 more appointments booked this year.

Had these all done in the last 12 months, the first two are cover ups of tattoos I had done 20+ years ago. They are being extended to sleeves, the haida ones on my legs are going to be merged together to form bands so flow into each other.

Attachments

• F06A05A5-8534-420A-887F-8CABF58BD8ED.jpeg
    F06A05A5-8534-420A-887F-8CABF58BD8ED.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C97E7EF3-02C5-45F9-A78B-F8AD3187E4A6.jpeg
    C97E7EF3-02C5-45F9-A78B-F8AD3187E4A6.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 5
  • 097BE868-D7FC-40C7-A322-40A400316111.jpeg
    097BE868-D7FC-40C7-A322-40A400316111.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B126C1AA-8979-462C-9EF8-B372562B237E.jpeg
    B126C1AA-8979-462C-9EF8-B372562B237E.jpeg