Telling a story through photos

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys. Since I started photography in the summer, I've learnt a lot and got to grips with many of the technical aspects and am happy that I'm getting sharp photos.

However now I'm having doubts on what to photograph as I'm a bit unsure if every image has to tell a story. I see plenty of other people's shots that are really nice to look at, maybe a landscape, a colourful painted house, a bird in flight, a bird perched, a stationary car, etc. Are they all necessarily telling stories?

Is taking a photo of something aethetically pleasing meaningless if there's no 'story', and do you always think about the story before you press the shutter or sometimes just snap something for the sake of it just because it looks nice and maybe the lighting looks cool?

Last edited:
I don't think a story is necessary and if that's what you want to do maybe it'll be easier with a series of pictures including some which are essentially just nice pictures?

I take a lot of pictures just to capture a moment and that moment may well include a story to me, but not necessarily to others.

To me, it makes sense to take pictures for a wide range of reasons: sometimes to tell a story, sometimes for aesthetic reasons, sometimes just as a record. It can be helpful to have a theme to shoot for, and you can add images over time to build a portfolio while also taking other pictures.

Just take photos of what you like.

You don't need to tell a story in every photo, just snap away.

Eventually you'll find what really floats your boat or what you're good at.

And don't let others tell you a photo is not good. If you like it that's all that matters.

I enjoy landscape, especially seascapes but living in the Midlands it's not often I get to the coast.

Photography is a broad church. Some people want what they consider to be meaningful images every time, others are happy to just take nice pictures of things they like. Both approaches are absolutely fine. And besides, what one person considers meaningful could be considered meaningless by some one else without the same background, understanding or connection to the subject, and vice versa.

It's taken me about 4yrs to find my real photography genra. In that time I've taken photos of most things and all of them have helped me find out what does and does not float my boat. They don't all tell a story and that's fine. My macro stuff, mainly insects and flowers, are because they interest me. They don't really tell a story, but they nice to look at (well to me anyway).
My main photography genre is still life, it's the one I put the most effort into. They also don't always have a story as such, but I try to make/give them a feeling of nostalgia or interest, something you want to look at, something that makes you feel you're in that place with the photo. Now I don't know if that's a story or an emotion.

Thank you everyone. From what you've all said, there's no hard and fast rules. Nevertheless, I can really see the value in story telling through a single image and that's on my todo list. Kind of hard to find stories to tell living where I am, it's just regular streets with houses and high streets. I need to make an effort to travel further. I do remember last week seeing a guy sleeping on a bench in the middle of the day while it was raining, I wish I'd had my camera with me, would have made a good black and white.

Some sensible replies in this thread and the "there are no rules" mantra is the one to remember. I'm fascinated by macro and astro but would be bored witless trying to do it myself. Show me a landscape of an oversaturated scene with a setting sun, optional reflection, no dynamic range because it's been hdr'd to death, and a rock in the foreground - and that has no interest for me. However there is a whole subforum and countless very popular YouTube channels that would disagree.

If you're taking photographs for compeition, what the judge says matters.
If you're taking photographs for a client, what the client says matters.
If you're taking photographs for likes, whatever is popular is what matters.
If you're taking photographs for yourself, do what you like!

There are many ways to look at it, go to a museum or art gallery, you will see a print and then a little plaque next to it with its name and description. Sometimes by the artist of it’s intention.

For me*, the best pieces are ones that speaks to me without reading that plaque. This could simply makes me feel something or IMO tell a story and make me feel something. The best photos is more than just the moment, the best ones you can almost extrapolate an entire sequence, or a life of events, or ones that capture the struggle of that person or groups of people.

A photo of a Kingfisher catching a fish, perfectly timed. Impressive but I find it cold and dull.
That photo of the Vietnam girl is what I call storytelling.

I seldom takes landscapes because for me* it's just another day, I can appreciate it's beauty but I don't find the story in it. Going back to the analogy with the print on a wall in an art gallery. If I am walking past it in a room, I would look at it and then keep walking. "ah that's nice." would probably be my thought.

Put the same photo, place a person in it, a farmer or a girl with a hat walking. Now I can place myself in their shoes, "What's their day like?". The human character gives me a connection. Also, I think a photo with human interaction is more so a moment harder to recreate, especially one that isn't orchestrated. A photo of a sunset arguably there will be one just like it tomorrow discounting position of the stars in the sky or the length of the grass or the number of leaves on a tree.)

Yes there are no rules but personally, for me*, storytelling is No.1 aim I put, above all the technicality of taking a photo.

* I know someone will debate this so I am putting this disclaimer here...it's my opinion, it's just as valid as yours.

Last edited:
"It should tell a story"
"It's all about the light"
"The decisive moment"
"If your photos are boring you are not close enough"
"Helsinki bus station theory"
The list goes on ...

But someone once said "for every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong". Photography is a very wide ranging field and any or all of the above apply to some situations some of the time but mostly these phrases are created or used for marketing purposes, selling a book, selling a course, selling a Youtube channel. I've never really understood the story telling one. Most "story telling" photos in my mind are really asking a question, or encouraging the viewer to ask a question about what they are seeing. So in that sense they ask you to find the story.

To the point though, there are plenty of really good aesthetically pleasing photos that don't even engage with the concept of "story telling" and those are the ones that I am far more likely to hang on my walls than a photo of a snotty kid eating an ice cream on a run-down council estate however much story that tells.

Last edited:
I agree with what’s already been said here. But if you want to tell a story then one way is to try and strike up a conversation between the viewer and your image. By that I mean don’t always be too direct in your telling of a story - instead think of allegorical ways of communicating it. Many of the great photographers (and indeed the master painters of old) use symbolism to communicate an idea. This means the viewer has to really look at the picture to start to understand the consequences of things - in that way you a striking up a conversation with the viewer as opposed to producing image ‘click bait’.
You would be incorrect in thinking you need to get out of your local environment to take great pictures - you would also be wrong to think of landscapes as merely pretty pictures.
Just in your home, backyard or local street are thousands of potential images if only you can develop your creative eye and see the potential in them
In other words ( to partially quote Elliot Erwitt) photography has little to do with what you see and is everything to do with the way you see them. It’s often about finding something extraordinary in the most ordinary of things.

Hi guys. Since I started photography in the summer, I've learnt a lot and got to grips with many of the technical aspects and am happy that I'm getting sharp photos.

However now I'm having doubts on what to photograph as I'm a bit unsure if every image has to tell a story. I see plenty of other people's shots that are really nice to look at, maybe a landscape, a colourful painted house, a bird in flight, a bird perched, a stationary car, etc. Are they all necessarily telling stories?

Is taking a photo of something aethetically pleasing meaningless if there's no 'story', and do you always think about the story before you press the shutter or sometimes just snap something for the sake of it just because it looks nice and maybe the lighting looks cool?
Where'd you get the idea a picture has to tell a story? That's a lofty aspiration and I wish you luck on your journey. In the meantime, learn your craft. Learn how to make a camera capture what you see. Learn how to make a good photograph on purpose.

I used to work at newspapers. We were in the story-telling business. I was, at best, a competent illustrator. These days, a pleasant, well-considered image is plenty satisfying.

Here's how I shoot most stuff these days.
  1. Wander around and look for interesting light.
  2. Go stand in that light.
  3. Walk around in circles and look for stuff that looks good in that light.
  4. Craft the shots found.
  5. Repeat
(Shameless plug, take a look at the Unlimited Wild Art thread for a plethora of story-free images.)

What are your interests outside photography? Are there things you have a particular insight into (maybe a job or a hobby or a specific place or culture) that you might be able to express in a photo?

I found something on the web the other day (I think it might have been in a Steven Shore lecture on Youtube, but maybe not) which may be relevent to this thread. Whoever it was said that photographs are good at describing things, not so good at explaining things.

Thanks chaps, very interesting replies and many things you've said that I'm taking on-board.

Where'd you get the idea a picture has to tell a story? That's a lofty aspiration and I wish you luck on your journey. In the meantime, learn your craft. Learn how to make a camera capture what you see. Learn how to make a good photograph on purpose.

I used to work at newspapers. We were in the story-telling business. I was, at best, a competent illustrator. These days, a pleasant, well-considered image is plenty satisfying.

Here's how I shoot most stuff these days.
  1. Wander around and look for interesting light.
  2. Go stand in that light.
  3. Walk around in circles and look for stuff that looks good in that light.
  4. Craft the shots found.
  5. Repeat
(Shameless plug, take a look at the Unlimited Wild Art thread for a plethora of story-free images.)

Well I always read that a photo should tell a story. But yeah, I feel I'm now able to capture what I see. I had a look at your thread and your photos are very inspiring.

What are your interests outside photography? Are there things you have a particular insight into (maybe a job or a hobby or a specific place or culture) that you might be able to express in a photo?

Well I've been involved with music all my life as a hobby and then career but strangely I don't feel much interest to express through photography.

I've never really understood the story telling one. Most "story telling" photos in my mind are really asking a question, or encouraging the viewer to ask a question about what they are seeing. So in that sense they ask you to find the story.

Yes, good point, that's an interesting way to see it.

..there are plenty of really good aesthetically pleasing photos that don't even engage with the concept of "story telling" and those are the ones that I am far more likely to hang on my walls than a photo of a snotty kid eating an ice cream on a run-down council estate however much story that tells.

Same :LOL:

Some sensible replies in this thread and the "there are no rules" mantra is the one to remember. I'm fascinated by macro and astro but would be bored witless trying to do it myself. Show me a landscape of an oversaturated scene with a setting sun, optional reflection, no dynamic range because it's been hdr'd to death, and a rock in the foreground - and that has no interest for me. However there is a whole subforum and countless very popular YouTube channels that would disagree.

If you're taking photographs for compeition, what the judge says matters.
If you're taking photographs for a client, what the client says matters.
If you're taking photographs for likes, whatever is popular is what matters.
If you're taking photographs for yourself, do what you like!

Very good points. It's always nice to get likes though. :D

There are many ways to look at it, go to a museum or art gallery, you will see a print and then a little plaque next to it with its name and description. Sometimes by the artist of it’s intention.

For me*, the best pieces are ones that speaks to me without reading that plaque. This could simply makes me feel something or IMO tell a story and make me feel something. The best photos is more than just the moment, the best ones you can almost extrapolate an entire sequence, or a life of events, or ones that capture the struggle of that person or groups of people.

A photo of a Kingfisher catching a fish, perfectly timed. Impressive but I find it cold and dull.
That photo of the Vietnam girl is what I call storytelling.

I seldom takes landscapes because for me* it's just another day, I can appreciate it's beauty but I don't find the story in it. Going back to the analogy with the print on a wall in an art gallery. If I am walking past it in a room, I would look at it and then keep walking. "ah that's nice." would probably be my thought.

Put the same photo, place a person in it, a farmer or a girl with a hat walking. Now I can place myself in their shoes, "What's their day like?". The human character gives me a connection. Also, I think a photo with human interaction is more so a moment harder to recreate, especially one that isn't orchestrated. A photo of a sunset arguably there will be one just like it tomorrow discounting position of the stars in the sky or the length of the grass or the number of leaves on a tree.)

Yes there are no rules but personally, for me*, storytelling is No.1 aim I put, above all the technicality of taking a photo.

* I know someone will debate this so I am putting this disclaimer here...it's my opinion, it's just as valid as yours.

I agree with what you say, Raymond. And yeah, the Afghan Girl photo is very powerful. I only saw it for the first time recently even though it's years old.

Learn how to make a camera capture what you see.
Wander around and look for interesting light.
Walk around in circles and look for stuff that looks good in that light.

I don't know if this is what you mean. I took this photo a few nights ago and I believe I captured it exactly as looks at night. Really, just because I liked the lighting and colours of things in the shop. Not sure there's a story in it. Or maybe there is with the coronavirus signs relating to not staying too long and not changing tables?

Patisserie by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't know if this is what you mean. I took this photo a few nights ago and I believe I captured it exactly as looks at night. Really, just because I liked the lighting and colours of things in the shop. Not sure there's a story in it. Or maybe there is with the coronavirus signs relating to not staying too long and not changing tables?

I take a lot of pictures when out walking and sometimes they're of things like wild flowers, leaves, tree trunks or just anything that catches my attention. When I'm at home I have a slideshow running and seeing what I took the time to look at and photograph brings back the memory of the day and more than that puts me right there looking at the thing / scene again. Each picture is a capture of the moment and in sequence in a slide show they take me through the day.

Patisserie by Merlin 5, on Flickr

A photo like that, unless you have some emotional attachment to the place, it works as a series in a set, it doesn’t say much on its own. Much like most of my holiday photos, “oh that’s a cool retro shoo” /snap, “ooooh that’s a church.” /snap.

I have a million of these kind of photos, they never see the light of day. I treat them as practice and memories. But they won’t ever make it as a print.

Last edited:
it's a good photo, the exposure is well controlled with a crisp clean feel to the shop. For a story I suspect it needs a homeless person sat under the window, or maybe a snotty kid looking through the window :)

I'd be interested in seeing if anything could be done with the reflection of the "EVERYMAN" neon sign, e.g. by changing position could you get the reflection positioned somewhere where it contributes to a metaphor or provides some irony when justapoxed with the shop signage. It might not be possible but could be worth a try

To the point though, there are plenty of really good aesthetically pleasing photos that don't even engage with the concept of "story telling" and those are the ones that I am far more likely to hang on my walls than a photo of a snotty kid eating an ice cream on a run-down council estate however much story that tells.

This just about puts the brackets on photography, for me at least. On the one have you have the money shot. The one you hang on your wall, sell through POD sites, share on antisocial media and it stands on its own as a work of art. At the other end of the spectrum you have the story images, rarely single images, usually a number of images which together form a narrative. You might have these in an album on flickr (other file sharing sites are available), or self publish as a booklet if you like seeing your work in print.

Somewhere in the middle you have the image that fulfills both objectives, it stands as a work of art and sits in the middle of a collection or narrative. This is the elusive image

I take a lot of pictures when out walking and sometimes they're of things like wild flowers, leaves, tree trunks or just anything that catches my attention. When I'm at home I have a slideshow running and seeing what I took the time to look at and photograph brings back the memory of the day and more than that puts me right there looking at the thing / scene again. Each picture is a capture of the moment and in sequence in a slide show they take me through the day.

I'm with you on this. I like keeping a record of things I've seen or walked past on any given day.

A photo like that, unless you have some emotional attachment to the place, it works as a series in a set, it doesn’t say much on its own. Much like most of my holiday photos, “oh that’s a cool retro shoo” /snap, “ooooh that’s a church.” /snap.

I have a million of these kind of photos, they never see the light of day. I treat them as practice and memories. But they won’t ever make it as a print.

Agree with you, Raymond. Photography being new to me, I'm still wowed by the technical capabilities of the new camera and lens, the novelty of just the action of taking photos, and finally, just being able to see my own progress. When you say 'it works in a set', could you elaborate. Do you mean a series of a few photos of different things including the shop to tell a story?
it's a good photo, the exposure is well controlled with a crisp clean feel to the shop. For a story I suspect it needs a homeless person sat under the window, or maybe a snotty kid looking through the window :)

I'd be interested in seeing if anything could be done with the reflection of the "EVERYMAN" neon sign, e.g. by changing position could you get the reflection positioned somewhere where it contributes to a metaphor or provides some irony when justapoxed with the shop signage. It might not be possible but could be worth a try

Ah yes, well spotted on the reflection! :DI had also crossed the road and taken a photo of the Everyman. But I hadn't noticed the reflection in the window at the time of shooting the shop image. I totally agree with you, a homeless person or someone looking through the window would have given it more character and a story. I need to think more outside the box like that. I can definitely go back there, it's only a mile or two away, and shoot from a different angle. I'm not sure how I could connect the dots so to speak to get some connection between the Everyman reflection and the shop signage or perhaps something else, but I'll go and have a look. Reminds me of a joke. I once dated a girl called Simile. I don't know what I Metaphor. :exit:

Last edited:
This just about puts the brackets on photography, for me at least. On the one have you have the money shot. The one you hang on your wall, sell through POD sites, share on antisocial media and it stands on its own as a work of art. At the other end of the spectrum you have the story images, rarely single images, usually a number of images which together form a narrative. You might have these in an album on flickr (other file sharing sites are available), or self publish as a booklet if you like seeing your work in print.

Somewhere in the middle you have the image that fulfills both objectives, it stands as a work of art and sits in the middle of a collection or narrative. This is the elusive image

This must be what Raymond meant, a set of images to tell a story. I'd really like to see a set of images telling a story if anyone here can show some examples of theirs or anyone else's?

Photography is what you want to make it. There are so many reasons to take s photograph. If you want to tell a story you can. If you want to photograph a bird on a stick or take nice pictures for your wall that’s fine too.

If you look back at single photographs taken years ago whilst they were a snapshot at the time they now tell the story of that era. That photo of the shop front will also tell a story in years to come.

I combine photography with my love of nature and being outdoors. It isn’t always about the photo for me as I just enjoy being outdoors (photography helps to get me out). I find I get more from a project than randomly visiting many locations. Recently that’s been photographing the deer during the rut at a local deer park. One of the photos on there own is nice but several photos on the same theme tell the story of the rut.

What I’m trying to say is do what makes you happy. If it’s a hobby you’re doing it for yourself so do what you enjoy and don’t worry about what others think.

I was just starting secondary school in that era so I remember the haircuts and clothes style well! Yes, some interesting story telling images. Actually, I think there's several single images amongst the stories there that alone could tell a good story. The pig killing is a bit macabre. :eek:

Not keen on that Zine thing, so will probably pass. :) Love your Sentimental Mercenaries, they're excellent!

Photography is what you want to make it. There are so many reasons to take s photograph. If you want to tell a story you can. If you want to photograph a bird on a stick or take nice pictures for your wall that’s fine too.

If you look back at single photographs taken years ago whilst they were a snapshot at the time they now tell the story of that era. That photo of the shop front will also tell a story in years to come.

I combine photography with my love of nature and being outdoors. It isn’t always about the photo for me as I just enjoy being outdoors (photography helps to get me out). I find I get more from a project than randomly visiting many locations. Recently that’s been photographing the deer during the rut at a local deer park. One of the photos on there own is nice but several photos on the same theme tell the story of the rut.

What I’m trying to say is do what makes you happy. If it’s a hobby you’re doing it for yourself so do what you enjoy and don’t worry about what others think.

Thanks rob. Yes, just a hobby for me but I hate doing things half hearted. I want pictures to be sharp and interesting, and the story telling which I hadn't put much thought into before, has now become something I want to try and incorporate into most of my photos. I think it makes for a nice challenge as much as anything else.

I've seen your deer rutting photos. Beautiful, really well photographed.

Actually, I think there's several single images amongst the stories there that alone could tell a good story.
Indeed. A picture story/photo essay can contain such pictures along with pictures which can stand alone as 'art', and pictures which are 'nothing' on their own but added to the story make it come alive.

This must be what Raymond meant, a set of images to tell a story. I'd really like to see a set of images telling a story if anyone here can show some examples of theirs or anyone else's?

I guess something like this. I was in Lisbon, went to this little place and took some photos. On their own the images are okay but together they tell you more about the eclectic nature of the space. It tells you the story of the place, it reminds me the kind of place it is.

GNtdjul.jpg

1uoVvyO.jpg

tRiLoXL.jpg

ByVt6V7.jpg

UgExe8r.jpg

nyIL1hv.jpg

3WbIv5Z.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics as always Raymond and yeah, tells a nice story.

A day spent with Keith in his one man foundry, from arrival at 5:45 to going home just after 2. This is the condensed version!kcm2.jpgkcm1.jpgkcm3.jpgDSC_4459-Edit-2.jpgKCM8.jpgkcm4.jpgkcm5.jpgkcm7.jpg

A picture never tells a story.

At best, it recalls a story in the mind of the viewer. And this is different for everyone. Even a photo that contains nothing but a rubber glove or a blade of grass can call up stories or not, depending on what the viewer has already experienced in his life and what not.

But even a photo series as above does not tell the right story without an explanation in text form.

I realize that there is a man pouring metal into a mold and in between he likes to drink a cup of tea. But I still don't know what he produces.The photographer also likes to spoil his photos with a lavish logo, is that the real story? :D

If anyone is interested I did some street photography a few days ago while keeping the ideas of this thread in mind.

Back