The 2019 Disposable Camera Challenge - Chat

Here is a cheating multi use single use camera (by lomography) if that makes any sense ! I found this whilst looking for ways to reload a single use camera, it is by far the easiest. Would this make it illegal and there for punishable by death for this challenge ?
Reusable single use

Here is a cheating multi use single use camera (by lomography) if that makes any sense ! I found this whilst looking for ways to reload a single use camera, it is by far the easiest. Would this make it illegal and there for punishable by death for this challenge ?
Reusable single use

It's fixed aperture and fixed shutter speed. It's a plastic lensed piece of crap, so it's ok in my book.

Edit to add - and fixed focus.

Last edited:
We haven't got round to ordering ours yet :rolleyes:. I'm sure we'll sort it out eventually!

Although, maybe a challenge for the back half of the year could be to build a camera and submit photos from it.

I tried to build one once but trashed it.

I think focusing rules it out.

These are only my opinions so if anyone thinks different, please shout up.

To me, disposable equates to single use*, so any camera that allows you to run more than a single roll of film through it doesn't count.

* I appreciate that some people "hack" disposable cameras so that they can be re-used.

To me, disposable equates to single use*, so any camera that allows you to run more than a single roll of film through it doesn't count.

* I appreciate that some people "hack" disposable cameras so that they can be re-used.

Yeah, I guess that keeps it simple and unambiguous.

And it is the Disposable Camera Challenge after all.

So are we ruling out @BADGER.BRAD Lomography "Simple Use" camera?

Although, maybe a challenge for the back half of the year could be to build a camera and submit photos from it.

I tried to build one once but trashed it.

As long as Steve isn't allowed to enter any Chroma shots!!!

As long as Steve isn't allowed to enter any Chroma shots!!!

Ah yes. Good point.

So, a camera you built yourself but not if you researched, designed, manufactured the components, tested, quality controlled, marketed and proved it yourself.

No, obviously. Ridiculous. Who would do that?

:)

It’s always been single use cameras in the past, it keeps the rather muddy playing field at least level.

When the films finished, what's the safest way to get the film out without getting zapped?

As far as accidental exposure is concerned, I think I'm right in saying that when you wind on you're actually winding back into the canister. Is that right?

EDIT - just had a look on youtube. It seems I'm right about the film and being zapped isn't a concern.

I think it IS a concern but one that's easily avoided by being careful...

I emailed Filmdev just now as it wasn't clear from their website if they take the whole disposable camera, or if they need the film removed and sent as normal. They replied very promptly as follows:
Hi Peter
Yes we can take disposable camera’s. If you can remove the 35mm cartridge it will save you money in postage.

Any other queries just let me know.

Regards
David
Filmdev

It should be single use camera only,so if anyone wants to buy a new camera ( very expensive shall we say 1000 pound plus) use it once and then send it on to me I'd be happy with that and I'm sure it would be within the rules please please !

ps I've been out playing with my Kodak fun saver today already

Last edited:
Can we use more than one camera as long as it's disposable ?

I've been out two days running now in both the Black Country and Shropshire trying to find some interesting photos ( what they are are is top secret ) I have really enjoyed using such a simple camera and found myself in a strange situation where my back up camera was actually more sophisticated than my main camera even though it was the Cosmic 35 !

For anyone who is a bit nervous about breaking into the camera to get the film out, here's a video showing how you don't have to open the Kodak Funsaver to get the film out. You only need to watch the first minute, as the rest is pretty much all warnings about the possible dangers if you try to open the camera up. :eek:

That's much easier than the video I saw Peter, the one I saw involved near destroying it !

I was sure I had one somewhere - just found it in the depths of the freezer! No Idea on its age, just that it's marked "Single Use 400 ISO". I shall learn more once it's defrosted and opened.

I'm ordering some film from Analogue Wonderland, so I'll add a JCH Kassha and join in the disposable fun too.

I'll need to plant a couple of trees for some carbon offsetting to assuage the (disposable) guilt.

My old Kodak one says they re-cycle them, that will be clever if I develop myself. Perhaps I can shred it, extrude it and 3D print something.
I'm ordering some film from Analogue Wonderland, so I'll add a JCH Kassha and join in the disposable fun too.

I'll need to plant a couple of trees for some carbon offsetting to assuage the (disposable) guilt.

My old Kodak one says they re-cycle them, that will be clever if I develop myself. Perhaps I can shred it, extrude it and 3D print something.

Sounds good. Can we sent all of ours to you? :)

Last time I used one, I stripped it down to its component parts and stuck the recyclable parts in the green bin. The flashy bits went in the small electricals skip at the tip next time we went. (Original stripping was to make it a smaller package to post!)

Last time I used one, I stripped it down to its component parts and stuck the recyclable parts in the green bin. The flashy bits went in the small electricals skip at the tip next time we went. (Original stripping was to make it a smaller package to post!)

That sounds very sensible. Is the film within a standard cassette inside the disposable? Should the dismantling be done inside a darkbag?

Most of the things wind on by rewinding into the cassette which is pretty much standard so a darkbag isn't usually necessary. Take care not to recharge the flash capacitor while dismantling... :wideyed:

For anyone who is a bit nervous about breaking into the camera to get the film out, here's a video showing how you don't have to open the Kodak Funsaver to get the film out. You only need to watch the first minute, as the rest is pretty much all warnings about the possible dangers if you try to open the camera up. :eek:

For anyone getting this 39 shot Kodak Funsaver, be aware that it counts down the frame numbers and then there are an extra 3 shots after frame 1, which now seems obvious to me. :facepalm:

@simon ess The rules seem pretty clear, except for whether it's a single camera challenge or if we're allowed photos from more than 1 camera? Not a big deal, but just wanted to clarify before I order another one. :)

Last edited:
Back