The 2021 Disposable Camera Challenge - CHAT

Just put a few frames through the scanner, it was hard to find any frame edges to know where to cut and needless to say there was nothing salvageable. Time to look for another disposable ...
Could always reload last one with some new film.

Could always reload last one with some new film.
Coincidentally after I typed that I checked that it goes back together OK and it looks like I can reload it. Most of the other disposables I have opened have broken in some way but this one seems like it will go back together.

Next year will suggest, a bit like @Cluster suggestion, the "Fixed Focus, Shutter, Aperture" FFSA challenge
So that would rule out sophisticated cameras like my Agfa Clack, Brownie Cresta and Ilford Sporti unfortunately and all of my box cameras I think. I'll have a look around for something more suitable for next year. I had a few reloadable simple cameras but gave them all away, shame.

@PeterSpencer @sirch - Back in the early 70s when I was doing A-levels mine was the first year we were allowed to use pocket calculators in Science subject exams. While others struggled with their new Sinclair Cambridge models that ate batteries like there was no tomorrow I found a CBM (Commodore Business Machines) one with rechargable batteries - so I could get a seat near a wall socket. One draw back, mine had a memory button, that was not allowed. An agreement was reached, I had to promise not to use that button and just in case I stuck a bit of insulating tape over it. So if you have a simple camera that has some adjustable feature then a promise to stick to one setting for the whole film and perhaps a bit of insulatiing tape to remind yourselves would be fine by me.

Just popped in to say that the entries so far are fab. Disposables aren't my cuppa, but there is some really good work there.

Any more for any more? Last few days to get those shots in.

Draft of introduction for next years challenge. Comments in this thread please.
Advance notice of the 2022 FFFSFA challenge.

What is FFFSFA,(FFS)? Fixed Focus, Fixed Speed, Fixed Aperture

In the past this was a 'Disposable Camera' challenge, however seeing how little chance there is nowadays to effectively recycle or refill all these cameras the FFFSFA challenge was created.

How it works

The challenge is to post up to three photographs taken by you with a Fixed Focus, Fixed Speed, Fixed Aperture camera¹ anytime between Santa Claus's visit in 2021 and the closing date in November 2022.

A thread on which to post those photos will be created on the last Sunday of October 2022 (30/10/22) . This is the entries and voting thread.

At the same time, another thread will be created on which to post any other photos you might wish to share, the reject/also ran thread.

The final date for entries is the last Sunday in November 2022 (27/11/22).

Voting will take place from the close of entries for one week (to 4/12/22). You will be able vote for your three favourite photos.

The subject matter is open, up to you, do your own thing.

Basic processing allowed, but nothing extreme. (I think we all know what is meant by this)

This thread is for discussion, chat and waffle.

Footnotes:
¹ Any camera that does not allow you to change, or itself change automatically, focus, shutter speed or aperture is acceptable. We are sure we can trust that if you have a camera that is almost suitable to put some tape over any controls that would break the rules. There are some commercially refilled/recycled cameras nominally 'disposable, single use' those are acceptable or any disposable ones you still have unused.

Draft of introduction for next years challenge. Comments in this thread please.
Looks good, just one thought: is it film only? I can see that someone might have some strange digital camera or an older model mobile phone that fits the criteria.

BTW do you want me to promote the voting for the current poll via a notice or are you happy with how it's going?

Looks good, just one thought: is it film only? I can see that someone might have some strange digital camera or an older model mobile phone that fits the criteria.
Will add 'film' in a few places to make it clear.:film:
A notice might help, did mention voting running in challenge forum, all the extra voters might help.

Results in.

Congratulations to @rpn for submitting the most popular individual picture (Gone fishing) and also the most votes for all 3 pictures.
@Peter B (Alison's overboard loss) came in second.
@Cluster (Barriers) came in third.

Thanks to all for your interest and hope to see you in the new FFFSFA Challenge.

Congratulations to @rpn and well done everyone for providing a good selection of photos.

Reactions: rpn
Congratulations to @rpn, @Peter B for their successful images and to all that had a go.
This little comp captured my imagination and has helped me by adding new possibilities to the style of image I try to make.

Reactions: rpn
1638888467117.png
Just a wrap up table for this year's challenge.
Thanks to all who took part and voted.

Head over to the FFFSFA Chat thread

to let us know if you are going to join
us next year and to start discussing
what camera/s and film/s you are thinking
of trying.

Hoping for more opportunities to get
out and about in good weather.

Last edited:
Holy thread revival, Fatman!!!

I've just seen the price of a 39 exposure Kodak colour disposable at 7dayshop. A penny shy of twenty quid! Add in about a tenner for DP&S and that makes it an expensive proposition!

Holy thread revival, Fatman!!!

I've just seen the price of a 39 exposure Kodak colour disposable at 7dayshop. A penny shy of twenty quid! Add in about a tenner for DP&S and that makes it an expensive proposition!
Which is another reason we changed to FFFSFA so can use reusable cameras that work out cheaper and more eco-friendly.

Back