The 22/23 Football Thread

So..Napoli 4 Liverpool 1. How can a team like that suddenly perform so poorly ? I mean over several games.

Spurs 2 Marseille 0

I knew Richarlison was a good buy. Headed goals in the 76th and 81st minute. Marseille down to 10 men after Mbema sent off for a foul on Son. Son has been off the boil for a while now.

Liverpool lucky to get away with 4-1. Terrible tonight, and sadly not surprising this season so far sadly. It could be a long season if goes on like this.

I've never seen Liverpool stuffed like that. It could have been 6-1. Liverpool just looked static and devoid of any passion. I hope they can improve but I think Salah is past his best.

Is this you saying this, or a source somewhere else?

"Chelsea need a manager who is for the long-term..." 'They' can say a lot of things, but their history demonstrates something else. And because of this with new owners, you can't put this type of behaviour at the old owner, and we do something different!

I have read they are to hold talks with Potter. If he goes anywhere near them, and he is there less than a year, I will have no sympathy for him. I like him, and I like what he has done, but he needs to go to a more stable club if he moves from Brighton. If there are more stable clubs out there. ;) :LOL:

He could go there and be a huge success for many years of course, but I wouldn't be putting any of my money on that. ;)

But at this level you need top grab the chance while you can.

If Brighton struggle later in season (Leicester 16 months ago almost got in CL, now bottom) then his stock will fall and will one of the big clubs be interested? Even if it all goes pear shaped, he will get a bug payout AND will be able to drop back to Brightons level (i.e. Southampton) or even a club in between like Villa, Hammers or Everton.

Well Graham I wish you the best of luck.

I second that. Seems a decent sort and has worked wonders at 'little' Brighton. However every manager has tough periods and at Chelsea (especially Chelsea) there appears to
be no 2nd chances. So he has to keep winning . . . simples !

Next manger to be sacked I think.

I don't think so,Dave. The love affair between Liverpool and Klopp is too strong. He'll get through this. Hours of watching match videos will probably highlight the problems but having said that I read that Klopp was at a loss as to the cause of Borussia Dortmund's slump, after years of success, during his last season there. Maybe it's just 'evolution'. These top teams will always suffer set backs. Is it a temporary set back..inevitable or a structural cause within the team ? Gegenpress seems to have faltered. It's part of his high-line strategy so maybe a re-think on that for a while. I think they faltered in the transfer window,too. They suddenly decided they needed a mid-fielder so on deadline day got Melo on a season's loan from Juventus. Sounded panicky to me. It's not helped by Salah's loss of form but Harry Kane, as other top players have, went through a sticky patch,too. Pity Sadio Mane felt so unloved that he left for Bayern Munich where he's scored five goals in six appearances and does so with a big smile on his face.

They'll bounce back soon, I'm sure..well, maybe not 'soon'... :)

I second that. Seems a decent sort and has worked wonders at 'little' Brighton. However every manager has tough periods and at Chelsea (especially Chelsea) there appears to
be no 2nd chances. So he has to keep winning . . . simples !

The FA seem to have him lined up to take over from Southgate but when I don't know. Depends on how Qatar goes,I assume.

Brendan Rogers to Brighton ? He won't want to be associated much longer with Leicester the way they're going. Played 6 won none drawn one. Goals for 8 ...against 16. GD -8 .Points one out of a possible 12.

He has his reputation to think of. He's not going to wait to be sacked. Anyway, the club recently said they "fully support him": That term and 'Full confidence in..." is usually the death knell...Lol. During Brighton's 5-2 home win over Leicester on September 4th. Brighton fans chanted “you’re getting sacked in the morning”

That won't matter. The Brighton management will make the decision not the fans.

...... I read that Klopp was at a loss as to the cause of Borussia Dortmund's slump, after years of success, during his last season there. Maybe it's just 'evolution'. These top teams will always suffer set backs. Is it a temporary set back..inevitable or a structural cause within the team ?

Wenger @ Arsenal, Pochettino @ Spurs, Mourinho (wherever he's been). It happens, managers seem to get stale at some point, and lose the dressing room.

I think Potter will have his hands full at Chelsea, most of those players earn more than the whole Brighton squad. They won't take kindly to somebody coming in who is not "in their perceived class".

Wenger @ Arsenal, Pochettino @ Spurs, Mourinho (wherever he's been). It happens, managers seem to get stale at some point, and lose the dressing room.

I think Potter will have his hands full at Chelsea, most of those players earn more than the whole Brighton squad. They won't take kindly to somebody coming in who is not "in their perceived class".
I think Aubameyang could be the biggest potential problem. Arteta thought he was so disruptive that he got rid, and Barca didn't seem to put up a big fight, even after 11 goals in 18 games. Yes, they need money, or to save money on his contract, but even so.

The FA seem to have him lined up to take over from Southgate but when I don't know. Depends on how Qatar goes,I assume.

Brendan Rogers to Brighton ? He won't want to be associated much longer with Leicester the way they're going. Played 6 won none drawn one. Goals for 8 ...against 16. GD -8 .Points one out of a possible 12.

He has his reputation to think of. He's not going to wait to be sacked. Anyway, the club recently said they "fully support him": That term and 'Full confidence in..." is usually the death knell...Lol. During Brighton's 5-2 home win over Leicester on September 4th. Brighton fans chanted “you’re getting sacked in the morning”

That won't matter. The Brighton management will make the decision not the fans.
At Leicester's Press conference today Rodgers said: " the club has "been very supportive" and he will not walk away following five losses in a row. "

Full story here:

P.S Rodgers will reportedly cost Leicester an '8 figure sum ' if they sack him. My dodgy arithmetic tells me that is £10 million +

Last edited:
I think Aubameyang could be the biggest potential problem. Arteta thought he was so disruptive that he got rid, and Barca didn't seem to put up a big fight, even after 11 goals in 18 games. Yes, they need money, or to save money on his contract, but even so.

I was aware of Aubameyang being disruptive at Arsenal as it made a splash in the papers so I was surprised to see Chelsea get him. Leopards don't change their spots do they.He is what he is.

At Leicester's Press conference today Rodgers said: " the club has "been very supportive" and he will not walk away following five losses in a row. "

Full story here:

P.S Rodgers will reportedly cost Leicester an '8 figure sum ' if they sack him. My dodgy arithmetic tells me that is £10 million +

I've heard that so often ..ie what Rogers is saying..and a week later they're gone. He didn't get what he wanted in the summer transfer window and blames management which wouldn't have gone down well. The club play Aston Villa next and they may get a win there but I doubt they'll beat Spurs in the game after that.

We'll just s have to see. Maybe Leicester will go for out of work Pochettino.I don't know what the financial cost would be to Rodgers if he went to Brighton of his own volition breaking his contract with Leicester .He's contracted to them until summer 2025.

Man Utd lost to Real Sociedad 1-0, but were very unlucky with the penalty that led the goal, as the ball that hit the hand hit the players leg first. Seems European VAR is as bad as Premier League VAR. :rolleyes:

Arsenal had a good 2-1 away win against Zurich.

Man Utd lost to Real Sociedad 1-0, but were very unlucky with the penalty that led the goal, as the ball that hit the hand hit the players leg first. Seems European VAR is as bad as Premier League VAR. :rolleyes:

Arsenal had a good 2-1 away win against Zurich.

Man Utd weren't "unlucky", they just didn't pay off the men in black before the game...... I mean, don't they own all the ref's in the EPL?

Looks like Trevor Sinclair may have potentially ended his media career. :oops: :$ Twitter should come with a career warning. :rolleyes: From that article it seems Sinclair has been a bit Jekyll and Hyde when it has come to the Queen. :thinking:

That said, it seems Sinclair has been in trouble with the Police for drink-driving and a racially aggravated public order offences a few years ago, and was still gainfully employed, so maybe a short time away from Talksport will be it! :thinking:

Looks like Trevor Sinclair may have potentially ended his media career. :oops: :$ Twitter should come with a career warning. :rolleyes: From that article it seems Sinclair has been a bit Jekyll and Hyde when it has come to the Queen. :thinking:

That said, it seems Sinclair has been in trouble with the Police for drink-driving and a racially aggravated public order offences a few years ago, and was still gainfully employed, so maybe a short time away from Talksport will be it! :thinking:

He is a t***, end of!

Talksh*t might be more apt for this fool

So..no Fulham v Chelsea no Liverpool v Wolves.. Manchester v City v Tottenham.....Arsenal v Everton.....Crystal Palace v Man United..

Now I know how drug addict feels when their drug is suddenly taken away from them. I live for the weekend football...:D

On a more serious noet. Polls are showing that there is little support for the FA's decision especially as just about all other activities,sporting and otherwise, are going ahead.

So..no Fulham v Chelsea no Liverpool v Wolves.. Manchester v City v Tottenham.....Arsenal v Everton.....Crystal Palace v Man United..

Now I know how drug addict feels when their drug is suddenly taken away from them. I live for the weekend football...:D

On a more serious noet. Polls are showing that there is little support for the FA's decision especially as just about all other activities,sporting and otherwise, are going ahead.
Polls! Polling who, and how many people! I am no royalist by any stretch of the imagination, but she was the Queen of the country for 70 years, and respect should be given. How long for is a matter of discussion between the royal family and the FA/Premier League and other sporting bodies. For football at least, with such a congested fixture list because of the mid season World Cup, a balance has to be made, but don't include fans opinions too much, because the majority will have wanted nothing changing.

Opinions can lead to polls, and polls can lead to votes, and this country has proved multiple times that people can't be trusted with a vote. :( :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

Even if next weekend's games go ahead, the games in London may not be able to, because all policing in London will be needed for the organisation of the funeral. There is talk of potentially switching the London team's home games to away fixtures. Not sure if I had planned on going to one of those games I would be too happy with that, but it would limit the need for extra games needing to be re-arranged for those few London clubs (should the rest of the games go ahead) and the teams they were to be playing. That also relies on whether the London teams opponents are able to put on an extra home game at such short notice.

Polls! Polling who, and how many people! I am no royalist by any stretch of the imagination, but she was the Queen of the country for 70 years, and respect should be given. How long for is a matter of discussion between the royal family and the FA/Premier League and other sporting bodies. For football at least, with such a congested fixture list because of the mid season World Cup, a balance has to be made, but don't include fans opinions too much, because the majority will have wanted nothing changing.

Opinions can lead to polls, and polls can lead to votes, and this country has proved multiple times that people can't be trusted with a vote. :( :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

Even if next weekend's games go ahead, the games in London may not be able to, because all policing in London will be needed for the organisation of the funeral. There is talk of potentially switching the London team's home games to away fixtures. Not sure if I had planned on going to one of those games I would be too happy with that, but it would limit the need for extra games needing to be re-arranged for those few London clubs (should the rest of the games go ahead) and the teams they were to be playing. That also relies on whether the London teams opponents are able to put on an extra home game at such short notice.

There are differing opinions then, not only by fans but leading figures in the game...let's put it that way rather than polls as such.I don't indulge in social media (unless you count TP as social media which I don't) and numbers have been taken from there in a sort of poll.

I subscribe to the notion that to go ahead with the games would have given an ideal opportunity to show respect with a minute's silence. It would have been a meaningful and impressive gesture. I don't actually see how the length of time the Queen's reign was has any bearing on it. You mentioned the reign was 70 years as if that was pertinent. No doubt the country will do the same for Charles who will probably reign for something like 20 years, if that. He's 73.

Someone of note said that the Queen loved sports and wouldn't have wanted cancellations. As far as I know there weren't any discussions with the royal family on the matter...it would be Palace officials,anyway. The decision was made by the The Premiere League and EFL in the light of Government guidance stating that there was no official obligation to cancel events .Cancellations also applied to Women's football and to Scottish and Welsh games. So..clearly they have all consulted with each other I'd have thought.

I've looked very carefully at what you've said. ..quote.. "She was the Queen of the country for 70 years, and respect should be given. How long for is a matter of discussion between the royal family and the FA/Premier League and other sporting bodies"

That tells me that you think that all sports fixtures should have been cancelled and the only issue was the length of time. So, in effect, you're saying that the governing bodies of rugby league and rugby union fixtures, that went ahead and will go ahead as planned and all other sports and events taking the same position, are being disrespectful. There is no other conclusion. The English RFU said.."All rugby union games would be played as planned to "help us all to unite at this time of national mourning".

The Lawn Tennis Association has also announced that the Davis Cup Finals group stage involving Great Britain, Kazakhstan, Netherlands and USA, scheduled to be played in Glasgow between 13-18 September, will go ahead as planned.

The organisers of London Fashion Week, which is due to begin on 16 September, have allowed shows which will not clash with the funeral to go ahead, but parties have been cancelled.

As you see,some governing bodies have gone ahead with their events and some not and I'm sure those who have would take umbrage at any suggestions of not showing repect. It's fair to assume that at every event that has taken place and will take place, a minute's silence will be observed and maybe even those taking part will wear a black armband. Where I agree with you is on the day of the funeral so that addresses the issues you've raised re policing in the last paragraph.

There are differing opinions then, not only by fans but leading figures in the game...let's put it that way rather than polls as such.I don't indulge in social media (unless you count TP as social media which I don't) and numbers have been taken from there in a sort of poll.

I subscribe to the notion that to go ahead with the games would have given an ideal opportunity to show respect with a minute's silence. It would have been a meaningful and impressive gesture. I don't actually see how the length of time the Queen's reign was has any bearing on it. You mentioned the reign was 70 years as if that was pertinent. No doubt the country will do the same for Charles who will probably reign for something like 20 years, if that. He's 73.
I think when the football games start again there will, and should be a minutes silence in those first games. Sadly, I am dreading the reaction of the Liverpool fans during a minutes silence, as anyone who saw their reaction for the national anthem during the FA Cup final can imagine things not going well. I think that was to do with authority in this country and its treatment of Liverpool, rather than the Queen herself.

I think the person, their length of doing the job, on top of the job itself will all affect how people react when the person dies. The soap opera goings on of the younger royals makes me feel a bit negative towards them, rather than the neutrality I 'felt' for the Queen.
Someone of note said that the Queen loved sports and wouldn't have wanted cancellations. As far as I know there weren't any discussions with the royal family on the matter...it would be Palace officials,anyway. The decision was made by the The Premiere League and EFL in the light of Government guidance stating that there was no official obligation to cancel events .Cancellations also applied to Women's football and to Scottish and Welsh games. So..clearly they have all consulted with each other I'd have thought.
You would have thought with the amount of time they have had to plan for the Queen dying, that everything would have been planned, what the media does, how public events (including sport) would be affected, how the public are affected.
I've looked very carefully at what you've said. ..quote.. "She was the Queen of the country for 70 years, and respect should be given. How long for is a matter of discussion between the royal family and the FA/Premier League and other sporting bodies"

That tells me that you think that all sports fixtures should have been cancelled and the only issue was the length of time. So, in effect, you're saying that the governing bodies of rugby league and rugby union fixtures, that went ahead and will go ahead as planned and all other sports and events taking the same position, are being disrespectful. There is no other conclusion. The English RFU said.."All rugby union games would be played as planned to "help us all to unite at this time of national mourning".

The Lawn Tennis Association has also announced that the Davis Cup Finals group stage involving Great Britain, Kazakhstan, Netherlands and USA, scheduled to be played in Glasgow between 13-18 September, will go ahead as planned.

The organisers of London Fashion Week, which is due to begin on 16 September, have allowed shows which will not clash with the funeral to go ahead, but parties have been cancelled.

As you see,some governing bodies have gone ahead with their events and some not and I'm sure those who have would take umbrage at any suggestions of not showing repect. It's fair to assume that at every event that has taken place and will take place, a minute's silence will be observed and maybe even those taking part will wear a black armband. Where I agree with you is on the day of the funeral so that addresses the issues you've raised re policing in the last paragraph.
Again, all this should have been planned so that everyone is doing the same thing, in this case, sporting bodies. One sport stopping games out of respect, and another letting games go ahead out of respect, leads me to think that there has been a lack of planning and communication despite the time they have all had to plan.

Whatever the changes, it will all be back to something towards normal after the funeral you would hope. I'm not sure the coronation, whenever that happens, will affect anything, sporting wise, unless in London on a weekend.

I think when the football games start again there will, and should be a minutes silence in those first games. Sadly, I am dreading the reaction of the Liverpool fans during a minutes silence, as anyone who saw their reaction for the national anthem during the FA Cup final can imagine things not going well. I think that was to do with authority in this country and its treatment of Liverpool, rather than the Queen herself.

I think the person, their length of doing the job, on top of the job itself will all affect how people react when the person dies. The soap opera goings on of the younger royals makes me feel a bit negative towards them, rather than the neutrality I 'felt' for the Queen.

You would have thought with the amount of time they have had to plan for the Queen dying, that everything would have been planned, what the media does, how public events (including sport) would be affected, how the public are affected.

Again, all this should have been planned so that everyone is doing the same thing, in this case, sporting bodies. One sport stopping games out of respect, and another letting games go ahead out of respect, leads me to think that there has been a lack of planning and communication despite the time they have all had to plan.

Whatever the changes, it will all be back to something towards normal after the funeral you would hope. I'm not sure the coronation, whenever that happens, will affect anything, sporting wise, unless in London on a weekend.

Well..:) I agree with everything you've said. We're now singing off the same hy......ahhhh !...:eek:.....song sheet :D

Surprise surprise, Harry Maguire is in the England squad, :rolleyes: as is Luke Shaw, despite having a total of four starts between them this season. :oops: :$ :thinking: :headbang:

Great to see Ivan Toney get a call up. He has had a good start to the season, and offers something different. Hopefully he get some minutes.

Not sure I can say that Grealish and Phillips have been outstanding so far, and they are also lucky to be in there imho.

I obviously have no idea about how Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, but you would hope they are in good form.

For once I think Pickford has been in good form, and would deservedley be #1, but he is injured. I think Pope is the man in form.

Goalkeepers: Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Dean Henderson (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Manchester United).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (on loan at Everton from Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Roma), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Ivan Toney (Brentford).

Surprise surprise, Harry Maguire is in the England squad, :rolleyes: as is Luke Shaw, despite having a total of four starts between them this season. :oops: :$ :thinking: :headbang:

Great to see Ivan Toney get a call up. He has had a good start to the season, and offers something different. Hopefully he get some minutes.

Not sure I can say that Grealish and Phillips have been outstanding so far, and they are also lucky to be in there imho.

I obviously have no idea about how Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, but you would hope they are in good form.

For once I think Pickford has been in good form, and would deservedley be #1, but he is injured. I think Pope is the man in form.

Goalkeepers: Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Dean Henderson (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Manchester United).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (on loan at Everton from Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Roma), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Ivan Toney (Brentford).
Thats why Southgate is not going to win in Qatar. Should be picking in form players like he said he would. He has to make Bellingham the main midfielder. Playing so well.

Just to add, Mason Mount has been like the invisible man at Chelsea, and does Ben Chillwell ever play for Chelsea?

Anyone know why the Man Utd & Chelsea games have been postponed?
Lack of police officers I believe, same as the Arsenal v PSV game last Thursday night.

Same old Southgate. Playing poorly yet no subs as it stands. Italy make 2 and score 5 mins later. No idea at all how to change the game. When plan A works fine but if it doesn’t then no idea.

Predictably boring. No goals in open play for 400 mins… so why pick the same old front 3???

Same old Southgate. Playing poorly yet no subs as it stands. Italy make 2 and score 5 mins later. No idea at all how to change the game. When plan A works fine but if it doesn’t then no idea.

Predictably boring. No goals in open play for 400 mins… so why pick the same old front 3???
Plan B has been enacted, two subs with about twenty minutes left.
No idea, got lucky twice with the draw, its run out now and this is the result.

He's having a laugh.

England midfielder Declan Rice speaking to Channel 4: "It's obviously disappointing. Every tournament we go into, we set out to win. In the Nations League we have slipped below our standards but I didn't think it was all bad tonight.

"It's coming. It was a much better performance tonight than we saw in the summer.

"It's not that we're not creating the chances. I see it in training. There are goals for fun.

"Trust me, we are going to be good."

LONDON IS RED

Top of the league (still)

Jeff Shreeves on Sky Sport reckons Spurs have only won at Arsenal once in 30 years in the league..... That's an amazing statistic.

I was expecting Harland to make an impression, but bloody heck, his statistics are beyond belief!

From BBC Sport

Manchester City's Erling Haaland became the first player to score three successive Premier League home hat-tricks as Manchester United were humiliated in the derby at Etihad Stadium. Haaland's rampant start to the season continued as he made it 17 goals in 10 games since his move from Borussia Dortmund

So Liverpool are complaining about dis-respectful chants by Man C today... is this the same Liverpool who showed disrespect to the Queen a few weeks ago? Can't strand their sense of entitlement!

Back