The 22/23 Football Thread

Your boys are looking good - early days I admit! Top of L2!
Very early days, top three will do me, but better than laat season
Few years ago we won the first 12 games in L1 and lost in the play off final

Var been a joke this week. They need ex players and var officials.
Not so sure on ex players, they have a bias depending on the position they played.
For example Shearer would happily see a keeper trampled underfoot and say it was a fair challenge.

Good to hear, as it really needs sorting out as some serious screw ups over the weekend.

It's been reported that all hell has been let loose over the wrong decisions. Something for us to keep an eye on in the media.

Good to see Marcus Rashford coming back into form with two goals today for Man-United's 3-1 win over Arsenal. He was taken off and the commentator thought he might have tweaked his hamstring.

Not used to running so much lately. ;) He took his goals well. :clap:

I wonder if he'll go to Qatar ? If he keeps up the improvement then maybe. That goes for Jadon Sancho,too. England play Milan at the San Siro in the Nations League on September 23 and then Germany (at Wembley)on the 26th.. Southgate will be required to have his final squad ready for Qatar by October 21st . It's usually a squad of 23 but a recent FIFA ruling has boosted that to 26 so that might help those two.

With the Premiere League, the Nations League and the World Cup they're earning their money this year..lol.

Btw. I wonder if FIFA will reqire the team to 'take the knee'. Last time I read about it it was a 'maybe' which to my mind means 'no'. Qatar is a country known for its misogyny, homophobia and mistreatment of migrant workers. Thousands have died in construction related to the World Cup and not to forget that the UK does a lot of business with Qatar, so we don’t want to naff them off too much do we.... :)

I wonder if he'll go to Qatar ? If he keeps up the improvement then maybe. That goes for Jadon Sancho,too. England play Milan at the San Siro in the Nations League on September 23 and then Germany (at Wembley)on the 26th.. Southgate will be required to have his final squad ready for Qatar by October 21st . It's usually a squad of 23 but a recent FIFA ruling has boosted that to 26 so that might help those two.

With the Premiere League, the Nations League and the World Cup they're earning their money this year..lol.

Btw. I wonder if FIFA will reqire the team to 'take the knee'. Last time I read about it it was a 'maybe' which to my mind means 'no'. Qatar is a country known for its misogyny, homophobia and mistreatment of migrant workers. Thousands have died in construction related to the World Cup and not to forget that the UK does a lot of business with Qatar, so we don’t want to naff them off too much do we.... :)
You can almost guess the England team now, same old lot with a couple of subs on at the 70 minute mark.
I don't think that group will be the walkover that many people are expecting.
USA have come on a lot at soccer, Wales will give everything to beat England in what is a local derby so form goes out the window
No idea about Iran, did reasonably well against S Korea who usually have a decent enough team.

You can almost guess the England team now, same old lot with a couple of subs on at the 70 minute mark.
I don't think that group will be the walkover that many people are expecting.
USA have come on a lot at soccer, Wales will give everything to beat England in what is a local derby so form goes out the window
No idea about Iran, did reasonably well against S Korea who usually have a decent enough team.

South Korea will have our Son Heung-min. I had to Google that to get the spelling right :D I think the team call him Sonny.

Wales are doing well since Giggsy left to face the court case,which I see might go to re-trial. Gareth Bale kept fit for the World Cup,too. They have some excellent players and I agree they have every incentive to beat England. I've have no idea, either about Iran. Out of interest I Googled them. Maybe not such a walk-over after all but I don';t think they'll get far.

Gareth will keep his favourites - Phillips and Rice in mid despite Bellingham (who would get into pretty much any other team) who should be there (with RIce). Maguire will start too. Same old Kane & Sterling up top, I doubt Toney will get a look in. Rashford will go regardless of form.

If Rashford or Sancho have couple of good games before the squad needs to be announced they will probably go. You can see the attitude changing after a couple of good games. What has Sancho done for a year! What had Rashford of note before the Liverpool game!

Even if they are not playing well they have a chance of going. They are favourites of Southgate, and he tends to stick with players he has used before, and playing for a big club, rather than some players from smaller clubs who may be on top form.

Because of all that I would put money on Maguire going too, and jeez! :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :headbang:

If Rashford or Sancho have couple of good games before the squad needs to be announced they will probably go. You can see the attitude changing after a couple of good games. What has Sancho done for a year! What had Rashford of note before the Liverpool game!

Even if they are not playing well they have a chance of going. They are favourites of Southgate, and he tends to stick with players he has used before, and playing for a big club, rather than some players from smaller clubs who may be on top form.

Because of all that I would put money on Maguire going too, and jeez! :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :headbang:
I'm sure Maquire will be there forming a brain dead defensive partnership with John Stones.
Neither have any awareness, the gormless look on their faces when a forward gets in behind them annoys me every time.
Will James of Chelsea get a look in with those old favourites Shaw and Walker?

Last edited:
  • Decision taken over the course of the last 100 days since ownership took charge, and would have been taken regardless of the result against Dinamo Zagreb last night. So not about results but wider issues
  • It is understood that Tuchel lost the confidence of the players and the board in recent times and had become less communicative with both groups
  • Chelsea need a manager who is for the long-term who buys into the collaborative culture and has focus and determination to take the club to the next level
  • Part of that is developing not only young, but all players in the squad, which it was felt was not happening
  • New signings were down to collaboration of board and Tuchel, so not right to say that they were all Tuchel targets, and he became less involved as time went on
  • An interim coaching staff will be appointed from within the club, but Chelsea hope to make a swift appointment as Tuchel's replacement

Chelsea, take Brendon Rodger’s. . . . . please.

• Decision taken over the course of the last 100 days since ownership took charge, and would have been taken regardless of the result against Dinamo Zagreb last night. So not about results but wider issues
  • It is understood that Tuchel lost the confidence of the players and the board in recent times and had become less communicative with both groups
  • Chelsea need a manager who is for the long-term who buys into the collaborative culture and has focus and determination to take the club to the next level
  • Part of that is developing not only young, but all players in the squad, which it was felt was not happening
  • New signings were down to collaboration of board and Tuchel, so not right to say that they were all Tuchel targets, and he became less involved as time went on
  • An interim coaching staff will be appointed from within the club, but Chelsea hope to make a swift appointment as Tuchel's replacement
Is this you saying this, or a source somewhere else?

"Chelsea need a manager who is for the long-term..." 'They' can say a lot of things, but their history demonstrates something else. And because of this with new owners, you can't put this type of behaviour at the old owner, and we do something different!

I have read they are to hold talks with Potter. If he goes anywhere near them, and he is there less than a year, I will have no sympathy for him. I like him, and I like what he has done, but he needs to go to a more stable club if he moves from Brighton. If there are more stable clubs out there. ;) :LOL:

He could go there and be a huge success for many years of course, but I wouldn't be putting any of my money on that. ;)

Is this you saying this, or a source somewhere else?

"Chelsea need a manager who is for the long-term..." 'They' can say a lot of things, but their history demonstrates something else. And because of this with new owners, you can't put this type of behaviour at the old owner, and we do something different!

I have read they are to hold talks with Potter. If he goes anywhere near them, and he is there less than a year, I will have no sympathy for him. I like him, and I like what he has done, but he needs to go to a more stable club if he moves from Brighton. If there are more stable clubs out there. ;) :LOL:

He could go there and be a huge success for many years of course, but I wouldn't be putting any of my money on that. ;)

I took it off the BBC sport this morning. They will let Chelsea have him sadly as he has proved to be a fantastic manager, then as they always do Chelsea will sack him.

Big gamble on Potter, managing Brighton is a lot different to Chelsea.
Dealing with all the highest paid players and their egos isn't for the faint hearted.
He has had limited success at Brighton, Chelsea owners will want instant success for their money.
Only European experience is probably from a holiday, very strange appointment if it happens.
Don't see him doing that well there, they need someone more experienced like Zidane.

Last edited:
I hope Potter does stay at Brighton as to me he has proved just how great he is at being a manager, sadly Chelsea will sack anyone who does not win as they have shown.
They will sack them even if they do win! :rolleyes: At least this Champions League winner lasted longer than their first one. ;)

Can hardly believe this..Liverpool go in at half-time 0-3 down and a few minutes into the second half go down again.Napoli 4 Liverpool 0 with 40 minutes left to play.

I'm watching Spurs V Marseille. Back on after half-time 0-0 .Spurs need to tighten up and improve the passing. Conte usually puts a rocket up their backside at half-time in situations like this.

Napoli are ripping Liverpool apart, could have easily been six or seven.
Salah anonymous again, mind you they are all pretty dreadful tonight.

The commentators keep saying linesman in the Liverpool game.
Its quite clear to see that its a lineswoman on the far side.

Back