The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just watched it again lol and now i know.. And need to get FW 6 on for the doggy eyes ha ha.. But i got to say this AF is insane hell a lot better than the Z6 but from the A7iii just a bit not that much but am still toying with it as weather is crap to do anything...

The A7iii AF should be fairly similar in less than very demanding scenarios (the camera performs ridiculously well ime), after all the A7iii AF is based on the A9 AF BUT my understanding is that the significant difference is the AF calculations it can do and the speed at which it processes the info (3x faster), so for example a fast subject coming towards, the A9 will process and adjust the AF 3x faster which will mean less out of focus shots each time it adjusts and accounts for the target moving toward you. Trackign will also be better because of this, Im guessing its also better at recognising patterns/colours/subjects etc all which helps again. Clever stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not planning on buying one, just something that popped into my thought bank ;)
Thanks. I wouldn't have expected it on single shot tbh.

I was just guessing on the single shot thing. Not even used it yet Lol

Do you think Nikon will bring out a better sports version with better tracking? Where the hell is the 70-200 too. That released the pics of it what seemed like ages ago.

Do you think Nikon will bring out a better sports version with better tracking? Where the hell is the 70-200 too. That released the pics of it what seemed like ages ago.

Don’t give a crap now by Nikon. There lost from what I seen with this A9 wishes I upgrade to it from start

Last edited:
Thought about the A9ii. Then looked at how often I actually take photos these days and the scenarios. Decided not too.

Not even sure on the A9 yet. Might buy a new bike instead, if I had enough room I would have many many bikes!*

*wife says 1 bike is enough - meh

Thought about the A9ii. Then looked at how often I actually take photos these days and the scenarios. Decided not too.

Not even sure on the A9 yet. Might buy a new bike instead, if I had enough room I would have many many bikes!*

Don't believe her, thems lies.

I’m sure Nikon will improve, great first effort which gives me hope they’ll be up to speed soon enough. Tried different settings in low light today and it’s a lot better than I first thought tbh.

70-200mm is Q1 2020.

love your Tokyo shots, I remember your HK in 35mm thread a few years back , which made me go out and buy a 35mm due to the stunning images in that also.

thanks, I felt natural with the lens, but even at time I prefer a 50.

Of the 101 final photos, 98 of them were taken with the 35mm.

1 bike is not enough haha, I have about 6 in my garage.

Don’t start me on bikes suppose be getting a mondraker

Did I miss something, has @rookies gone and splashed out on an A9........Z6 resigned to the bin

Zeiss Batis 40mm and Tamron 17-28mm

Side Bar Guys......

Looking for a grip for the a7iii, care to share what you have...

I’ve got the Sony grip thrown in with mine for free

I’d heard a rumour that you’d acquired a new toy @rookies ...... with a free grip to boot no less.

Well you know where to send it when your done with it and I may be interested in the z6?

Question.

Zeiss Batis 25mm f2 + Tamron 20mm 2.8

Zeiss Batis 25mm f2 + Samyang 18mm 2.8

Tamron 17-28 2.8

Which would you pick and why?
Depends on what you are trying to shoot.

But over all of them I'd happily pick my 24GM. It's simply awesome at everything :p

I'm looking forward to the tamron 20mm f2.8 mostly for its interesting macro capability.

Landscape and for use at weddings.

A 24mm only won't cut it for me, not wide enough.

Stitching is your friend ;)

I know! I know! perspective and all that but then if you what that for some dramatic landscape fun you should get something wider than 17-18mm.

I'd be more tempted by something like the new sigma 14-24mm f2.8 over everything you have suggested. It's insanely sharp too!

Wasn't there some focusing problem with a Batis? Was that the 40mm? Whatever it was did they ever fix it?

It seems like tamron and sigma are throwing out affordable excellent performers

The Online photographer has a piece that sums how I feel up...

"Out of GAS"

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...tographer/2019/11/too-beautiful-too-cool.html

"It's the combination of feeling the urge—the want—the desire—to buy something and not finding anything that's appealing enough to buy that's remarkable about Moose's comment. You know, you just want a toy and the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you're locked and loaded for self-indulgence and...nothing calls your name. Nada."

Oh well.
:D

Wasn't there some focusing problem with a Batis? Was that the 40mm? Whatever it was did they ever fix it?

Yeah it was the 40mm they updated the firmware for eye a.f but at certain distances it back focuses really badly to the point of being unusable.

Stitching is your friend ;)

I know! I know! perspective and all that but then if you what that for some dramatic landscape fun you should get something wider than 17-18mm.

I'd be more tempted by something like the new sigma 14-24mm f2.8 over everything you have suggested. It's insanely sharp too!

nah, I don’t mind stitching but for some landscapes I just wouldn’t want to do it. Rather buy the wider lens. Quite tempted with the 17-28 2.8, however at my last wedding almost half the shots were taken on the 25mm f2

Back