The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

On my A7 I will clear well over a 1,000 on one charge like I have with all my other cameras, as I switch on take the shot then off etc etc.

CIPA ratings mean nothing, I also got like 1500 shots and still had juice left with the A7iii, bit less with the A9. (A9 rated under 500, A7iii rated 700) My RP is rated 250! shots, I get 900 and have battery remaining.

I'm still finding my feet with the Sony setup.
Last Saturday morning I dropped in to my local model flying club and came away with some interesting shots.
The models are fantastically detailed, and look great when they are in the air.
Thought this one was worth posting.

A7Riv and GM100-400.

7R400632 - 2020-08-08 at 11-33-03-Edit.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Anyone see the stuff about the new Canons?

Worse battery life than the A7II, yes really the old A7II.

Also once the battery level drops below 60% they start to cripple the fps :oops: :$

Seen someone say that to get through a wedding day you will need about 14 batteries for 2 bodies and they are £114 a pop.

View attachment 289684
I can't see that, as twist says CIPA ratings mean nothing. Strange that for 12fps you need 1/1000 or faster, but then 8fps is all I need anyway (y)

Cos I”m a moron :LOL:

Very little photoshop done (none actually, it was LR ;)), just brushed in some NR for the background and must’ve been very sloppy, will correct it when I get home (y)

The tell tale often with bird images is between their legs ;) people using brush for NR oft forget in there. Peronally I prefer a little noise over heavy NR though

The tell tale often with bird images is between their legs ;) people using brush for NR oft forget in there. Peronally I prefer a little noise over heavy NR though
It's fixed now, should look OK?

It's fixed now, should look OK?

Much, much better aye. How I do it [the odd time I shoot birds] is to NR the whole image, then use the brush with 0 NR, using the mask to see where I'm at and [forget how to set it] thefeathering to auto, it'll detect the harder edges of the bird, works pretty well. Once you have your first brush applied you can switch off the red mask and then add any tweaks to the current brish section [clarity, sharpen, texture etc] it's probably the reverse of how you do it?

Those who have the FE 200-600mm, are you regularly using it after initial enthusiasm passes?
I don't particularly do wildlife shots but do seem to be always wanting more reach when I have the 70-200 on.
But must admit that's not as often as I expected.
While not exactly cheap it does seem good value really.

Anyone see the stuff about the new Canons?

Worse battery life than the A7II, yes really the old A7II.

Also once the battery level drops below 60% they start to cripple the fps :oops: :$

Seen someone say that to get through a wedding day you will need about 14 batteries for 2 bodies and they are £114 a pop.

View attachment 289684
What I find more interesting is that for a Sony Forum there is more talk of Canonikon then the upcoming new A5/A6 FF camera. Not critising you directly F2.8, just wish we would be more Sony based...
It is why we are all here after all, maybe it's just lockdown as there is sweet FA to do right now.....

CIPA ratings mean nothing, I also got like 1500 shots and still had juice left with the A7iii, bit less with the A9. (A9 rated under 500, A7iii rated 700) My RP is rated 250! shots, I get 900 and have battery remaining.

I have no idea how many shots per battery I get but I know on my A7r2 a spare battery in my pocket will get me through the day.

What I find more interesting is that for a Sony Forum there is more talk of Canonikon then the upcoming new A5/A6 FF camera. Not critising you directly F2.8, just wish we would be more Sony based...
It is why we are all here after all, maybe it's just lockdown as there is sweet FA to do right now.....

I think we done that. We moaned about the supposed lack of evf :D

Not had much of a photo taking holiday really.... Me and my boy managed Milky Way on the first night Saturday, a boring sunrise at Corfe Castle yesterday, aside from that it's been pretty plain and dull at sunset. Even daytimes we've had a fair bit of low sea mist not ruining the day, but spoiling the views. We've been on the beach and in the sea every day though!

Much, much better aye. How I do it [the odd time I shoot birds] is to NR the whole image, then use the brush with 0 NR, using the mask to see where I'm at and [forget how to set it] thefeathering to auto, it'll detect the harder edges of the bird, works pretty well. Once you have your first brush applied you can switch off the red mask and then add any tweaks to the current brish section [clarity, sharpen, texture etc] it's probably the reverse of how you do it?
I'm usually pretty good with this kind of thing but I was in a rush earlier :rolleyes:

Those who have the FE 200-600mm, are you regularly using it after initial enthusiasm passes?
I don't particularly do wildlife shots but do seem to be always wanting more reach when I have the 70-200 on.

I don't use mine that much but I knew that before getting it, having said that the lockdown didn't help as most of the wildlife I would have done in the spring was missed and there's been next to no Motorsport.

It's very good value though if you have a use for it.

Reactions: 4wd
I'm usually pretty good with this kind of thing but I was in a rush earlier :rolleyes:

I know, I've seen many of your images, always a pleasure. Just a suggestion, it was actually blackfox on here showed me the way I stated, we were both shooting M43 at the time and it's vital when you're on that system at any kind of mid to higher ISO level

I know, I've seen many of your images, always a pleasure. Just a suggestion, it was actually blackfox on here showed me the way I stated, we were both shooting M43 at the time and it's vital when you're on that system at any kind of mid to higher ISO level
Thanks, very kind. Yeah I know what you mean about needing it for m4/3. I was surprised I needed it for this at 2000 ISO, but then it's a 'fair' crop, long edge about 4800

Thanks, very kind. Yeah I know what you mean about needing it for m4/3. I was surprised I needed it for this at 2000 ISO, but then it's a 'fair' crop, long edge about 4800

If you bumped exp in post that'll add to it too. But like I said earlier, I don't mind a little noise, if it's not interfering with the image as a whole, losing detail etc - but, have to admit I'm same when processing, because we're checking our images 1:1 or greater at times. I didn't really notice the noise between the legs of the Bluetit until I viewed it on Flickr zoomed in

I use it more than any other lens.

Reactions: 4wd
Surprising as their are many reports of over 1000 shots and the A9 is rated 480 shots... but we both know thats not true ;)

Very true - I’m not sure where they get battery shots per charge from but I have done over 1000 on the A9 In one day inc a few vids. Today will probably the same as we have a yard cross country outing.

So for the h+ frame rate (12fps) you have to have....
- not a hot day (or a cold one)
- over 60% battery
- no shutter under 1/1000
- no anti flicker
- RF lens and wide open.

No shutter under 1/1000?! That’s not a great start for me TBH!!

No shutter under 1/1000?! That’s not a great start for me TBH!!
IT's not ideal, but I wonder if there's restrictions if you knock it down to say 10fps?

Hi guys, been a long time since i was on here. Just wondering if you think Capture One 20 is worth it over Express. I have a 60% off code so it makes it about £50.

Took this last night of quite a cool looking bike, unfortunately parked next to a trashcan!

SOC-118 by Anthony Kenny, on Flickr
That is a cool bike (y) I’m not even sure which version of the Bolt that is, looks like a c-spec of some kind?

That is a cool bike (y) I’m not even sure which version of the Bolt that is, looks like a c-spec of some kind?

No idea either. From Distance I thought it was a Harley at first. It was brushed matt black, looked quite cool in the flesh, something I could imagine Steve McQueen on!

OMG it’s absolutely sweltering today.

Tools down and time for dinner at today’s wedding.

For two days now we've had that fret that just hangs in the air, all day. The whole world outside is just a lifeless no sky grey half light wet nothingness.

I'd post a picture but it's all too depressing.

For two days now we've had that fret that just hangs in the air, all day. The whole world outside is just a lifeless no sky grey half light wet nothingness.

Haven’t seen heat like this in months we are absolutely knackered.

The venue has had to bring in industrial fans for the reception.

Not a cloud in the sky.

Haven’t seen heat like this in months we are absolutely knackered.

The venue has had to bring in industrial fans for the reception.

Not a cloud in the sky.

I went to the shops in the car today, had to have the headlights on and the wipers too as I drove through the fret. Mrs WW refused to go outside but at the same time is going stir crazy. We've had two days of this but even before this there's been no heatwave.

Thats usually the weather over here. It only rains twice a year in Northern Ireland, once for the first 6 months and then again for the last 6 months of the year.

We were very lucky we had 6 days of warm sunshine just enough time to put a new roof on my studio and make it water tight ,cloud the last 2 days but no rain :)
Rob.

One day this weather will end...

As I haven't taken a picture worth looking at for some time. From my last trip to Thailand. We had a big gathering and all Mrs WW's family and friends came for a big meal. This was the view outside.

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8.

qnEQiuO.jpg

Last edited:
Back