The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks that’s interesting so just checking you mean the Sigma 14-24 DG DN? I know the Samyang can suffer with that so it’s the reason my wife bought from Amazon for the easy return but didn’t know the Sigma could be the same....

Yes I mean the sigma 14-24mm f2.8 DN lens (DN stands for mirrorless lenses :) )

Any lens from any manufacturer can be decentered. Just that some manufacturers have more of an issue due to poor QC than others.

Thanks and yep I know the meaning of the DN designation and it’s why I’m looking at that specific lens, I just wasn’t aware Sigma were having the same issues so needed to be sure before I start more research....

Do you happen to have any links by the way?

Edit - found one on FredMiranda.......

Last edited:
Yes I mean the sigma 14-24mm f2.8 DN lens (DN stands for mirrorless lenses :) )

Any lens from any manufacturer can be decentered. Just that some manufacturers have more of an issue due to poor QC than others.
I don't think Sigma can be regarded as having poor QC, quite the opposite imo. You must have been very unlucky.

Thanks and yep I know the meaning of the DN designation and it’s why I’m looking at that specific lens, I just wasn’t aware Sigma were having the same issues so needed to be sure before I start more research....

Do you happen to have any links by the way?

Edit - found one on FredMiranda.......

Link for testing your lenses?
Try this one:

Link for testing your lenses?
Try this one:

Nope sorry I meant links to the issues.

I can see what you're up to, if he says 12mm you'll tell him there's an 8mm then wait for the "just ordered" post :LOL: :LOL:
Not at all :LOL:
It was actually a genuine question....
My widest is 24mm on my 24-105, but need wider.
Not sure if 18mm would be wide enough.
Would like a 16-35mm f4 but skint just now....

I actually wrote out a list of the AF 35mm's the other day with the main comparative specs. I have the paper right next to me now :)

I'm still pondering though.

I actually wrote out a list of the AF 35mm's the other day with the main comparative specs. I have the paper right next to me now :)

I'm still pondering though.

I also have a 35 f2.8 - it's been a great little lens, soft edges wide open, nice & sharp stopped down, tiny and super-light. I'd like the stop of extra light, shallower DoF and slightly higher sharpness of the 35 f1.8 but I'm really not sure I *need* to change. Having the 12-24 means that I simply don't use the 18mm very much, and I'm more likely to let that go & keep 2 35s.

I’m debating whether I need a 35mm, already owning a 28 and a 45. To help me decide I’m going to try a manual legacy lens - I have a Flektagon 35mm f2.8 (which I found in a drawer, not a bag :p ) and I’m just waiting for the adapter to arrive.

I really like my 24-105mm

It's fantastic for travel - absolutely love it for that - but when I'm home I usually reach for a prime as first choice because there's just something about the rendering I like better. I've been carrying a bag of kit about, but usually just have the 85 f1.4 on all the time, followed by the 35 f2.8 as second choice.

I also have a 35 f2.8 - it's been a great little lens, soft edges wide open, nice & sharp stopped down, tiny and super-light. I'd like the stop of extra light, shallower DoF and slightly higher sharpness of the 35 f1.8 but I'm really not sure I *need* to change. Having the 12-24 means that I simply don't use the 18mm very much, and I'm more likely to let that go & keep 2 35s.

I have that one too - the Samyang - Well, my boy still has it :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: I did think about picking up another but for the price the f/1.8 is looking just as good.

It's more a case of do I need/will I use an AF 35mm enough rather than which one to decide on.

I’m debating whether I need a 35mm, already owning a 28 and a 45. To help me decide I’m going to try a manual legacy lens - I have a Flektagon 35mm f2.8 (which I found in a drawer, not a bag :p ) and I’m just waiting for the adapter to arrive.

Same here, I have 24mm and 45mm.
What I really want is a small 40mm f1.8 or F2 instead of 35mm or 45mm.

For me 35mm is good: in primes I go 135 (Nikon AI-S) 85, 55, 45 (to be repaired) 35, 28 (Nikon AI-S) 18. The Sony 28 f2 might be a more useful prime to add, but I'm really drawn to the 35.

I like 35mm for general stuff. I think it's a nice for a walk about and nice for people shots with some context. 50mm used to be my favourite but I've gravitated to 35mm now. I've also got to like 35mm plus a close up filter as you keep the ability to go to f1.x if your lens can whereas a 35mm macro if you can get one would probably be f2.8. The Sony f1.8 is nice though as it focuses closely but I still take the close up filter too. Another thing with close up shots is that some lenses aren't so good at or about minimum focus distance but with a close up filter you can take a close up photo with the lens backed way off from minimum focus distance and thus get a better end picture. With longer lenses the range of focus for close up shots with a filter may not be as good, for example with an 85mm it's minimal.

35 and 85mm would be my choice if I could only have two but tbh the 85mm would be a bit too long :D Maybe the new Sigma 35 and 65mm f2's would be a good set :D

Sony might release a camera with 102mp chip...

Is this getting silly?

I'd definitely need a new PC :D

Would you buy a 100mp camera?

I'd be tempted but probably not.
I'd be more interested in something like an R5 which has great AF and good resolution. Think canon has just made 45-50mp the "new 24mp". I would have got one myself if it weren't for the price and lack of good and/or cheap lenses.

Careful. They're addictive :D

It is a lovely lens and the files do look lovely... wait and see! :D

Back