The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Here's me stressing at the thought of selling a couple of lenses to help afford the 200-600 :p

Actually got out with the camera this morning, though light conditions were really rubbish just bland.
Got the miles in though think just short of 15k, there were woods, 2 major rivers, 2 canals, disused railways and multiple country parks.
Some really historical places, think the canal over the river is one of only a few in the country.
Will get round to processing the few photos tomorrow at some point see if I can make any look okay.

Saw that, one already exists and given that this is slightly larger than it I wonder if its any better.
The protruding bit at the bottom puts me off a little, contax G lenses are very nice though :cool:

First thing I thought was "Ohhhhh!" quickly followed by "That looks awkward" and "How Much?"

Actually got out with the camera this morning, though light conditions were really rubbish just bland.
Got the miles in though think just short of 15k, there were woods, 2 major rivers, 2 canals, disused railways and multiple country parks.
Some really historical places, think the canal over the river is one of only a few in the country.
Will get round to processing the few photos tomorrow at some point see if I can make any look okay.

The weather here looked photogenic this morning with a heavy frost but I couldn't leave the house.

Never sell anything! Never! Never! NEVER!!!!

You'll only end up rebuying.

Well one of them would be my Sigma 150-600 to make way for the Sony 200-600.

Couple from yesterday, excuse the processing, feels strange being back in Lightroom after so long with Capture One.

More than anything I enjoyed being out with the camera again, just need to get my eye dialled in again.

Bridge over the River Irwell
DSC00108.jpg

Mount Sion Steam Crane
DSC00109.jpg

I was very tempted by that lens but went for the Sony 20mm f1.8 as one of my dreams is to see and photograph the northern lights one night. I don't know if that'll ever happen but I thought the Sony might be best for that.

I was very tempted by that lens but went for the Sony 20mm f1.8 as one of my dreams is to see and photograph the northern lights one night. I don't know if that'll ever happen but I thought the Sony might be best for that.
For nocturnal stuff, the Voigtlander f3.5 will be somewhat handicapped.

It's still a lovely lens though and if I didn't have that dream of seeing and photographing the light's I might have one now :D

Great now I'm looking at the Voigtlander 21 f1.4. Wouldn't replace my 35 then and be perfect for landscape.
Seems it works better at close distance compared to the 35.

Last edited:
Great now I'm looking at the Voigtlander 21 f1.4. Wouldn't replace my 35 then and be perfect for landscape.
Seems it works better at close distance compared to the 35.

Don't forget the Sony 20mm f1.8. It's AF and not as lovely to use and fondle as a metal manual lens but other than that it's said by some to be a just about perfect lens. I'd have been happy enough if it only matched the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon DSLR's but it's so much better.

Ive been trying to shoot the stars and have been using the 24-105 f4 and it has, at least, shown me that using f4 seems fine. I just need to wait for the right sky and maybe a decent location. Having said all that I fancied a different lens and ummed and ahhed over the Sony 20mm, samyang 14 and Sigma 14-24. My wife ordered me the Samyang for Christmas but it’s currently “lost” and she’s been refunded. I’ll give it until the 4th to turn up and if it doesn’t I’m having the Sigma from Panamoz

Ive been trying to shoot the stars and have been using the 24-105 f4 and it has, at least, shown me that using f4 seems fine. I just need to wait for the right sky and maybe a decent location. Having said all that I fancied a different lens and ummed and ahhed over the Sony 20mm, samyang 14 and Sigma 14-24. My wife ordered me the Samyang for Christmas but it’s currently “lost” and she’s been refunded. I’ll give it until the 4th to turn up and if it doesn’t I’m having the Sigma from Panamoz

I had two 14-24mm and both were decentered. I think I have just been very unlucky but do make sure you test it out.
if you get properly centered copy its sharper than 16-35GM, my current 12-24mm f4 and gives my Sony 24GM a run for its money too!! amazing piece of glass.

Last edited:

I suppose the aperture depends on time and ISO. I like to keep the ISO down as the ancient A7 whilst being the best camera I've ever had still needs some help and for night sky stuff it's a balance between keeping the ISO down and the shutter speed fast enough to prevent star trails.

Last edited:
Second shot inside is awesome. Would look great in black and white too. How low is that ceiling, can you stand fully upright under it or have to mind your head?
I deliberately kept this one in colour because of the brickwork. But I have other shots, some which will probably suit mono. Regarding ceiling height, if I say that I can get through the entrance portals with just stooping, and I'm 5'10", then that gives you an idea. The whole structure is oval and you can complete a full circuit. This gives an explanation of the place.

I suppose the aperture depends on time and ISO. I like to keep the ISO down as the ancient A7 whilst being the best camera I've ever had still needs some help and for night sky stuff it's a balance between keeping the ISO down and the shutter speed fast enough to prevent star trails.

Yes of course and it’s sort of what I meant in that I seem to have achieved shots at a reasonably “low” iso given the limitation of shutter speed to keep things static. 14mm will give me even more time or, most likely, even lower iso especially with its faster aperture too.

I had two 14-24mm and both were decentered. I think I have just been very unlucky but do make sure you test it out.
if you get properly centered copy its sharper than 16-35GM, my current 12-24mm f4 and gives my Sony 24GM a run for its money too!! amazing piece of glass.

Thanks that’s interesting so just checking you mean the Sigma 14-24 DG DN? I know the Samyang can suffer with that so it’s the reason my wife bought from Amazon for the easy return but didn’t know the Sigma could be the same....

Back