The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The state of the industry...

"The entire camera market in 2020 saw 97% drop compared to 2010."

Some of this will be down to good old c19 but all in all the trend is possibly inexorably downward to some base level at which it may stabilise, hopefully. Makes me wonder what companies will have to do to hang on in there and that's the problem, some possibly will not hang on in there.

One more link.

Last edited:
The state of the industry...

"The entire camera market in 2020 saw 97% drop compared to 2010."

Some of this will be down to good old c19 but all in all the trend is possibly inexorably downward to some base level at which it may stabilise, hopefully. Makes me wonder what companies will have to do to hang on in there and that's the problem, some possibly will not hang on in there.

One more link.

Wasn’t 2010 around the time the first iPhone came out? It’s no surprise the camera market has shrunk massively since the introduction of smart phones. I’ve not read the report but does it say by what percentage ILC’s have dropped?

Wasn’t 2010 around the time the first iPhone came out? It’s no surprise the camera market has shrunk massively since the introduction of smart phones. I’ve not read the report but does it say by what percentage ILC’s have dropped?

ILC sales in 2010=12.9m, 2020=5.2m.
Lenses, 2010=21.8m, 2020=8.8m.

iPhone cameout 2007 but 2010 was around the time when phone cameras started being usable in good light. Till then they were mostly a gimmick feature.

I have done my bit for this year by ordering the 35GM, now your turn :D

So just over half, not quite as bad as I thought but still not great.
I have done my bit for this year by ordering the 35GM, now your turn :D
Nice. I’d love to get into shooting with a 35mm, kind of documentary style, but I don’t have the time or live in a particularly interesting area for that kind of thing. Obviously it’s a great area for landscapes though (y)

Last edited:
Rip of Britain we never get offers like this here.

View attachment 310129

When A7S was new, sony were giving them away for free/complimentary with the more expensive FX models.

but the above deal is excellent for the price of the FE85/1.8 you can almost get a ticket to Dubai plus the bodies are tax-free :D

Last edited:
Looks absolutely fine on my iPad Pro & MacBook Pro.
Looking at it on my PC, the Flickr version is slightly larger, and does appear a touch sharper, but it's not by a big margin (both look great!).
Thanks both. Flickr looks quite a bit sharper on mine :thinking:

Last edited:
The reviews, the feedback, I like wide lenses.
It’s looks good in the reviews. I’m currently considering the 20mm f1.8 and the 12-24 f4. The 20mm f1.8 is edging it as it’s able to use filters. That’s probably the biggest advantage over the 12-24. 20mm is probably a sweet spot as it’s wide but not as insanely wide as 12mm.

That’s probably the biggest advantage over the 12-24. 20mm is probably a sweet spot as it’s wide but not as insanely wide as 12mm.

Yup.

20mm is not so wide that you have to think so very carefully about every shot but it is still wide enough with just normal care, but having said that you can set the 12-24mm to 20mm and the wider end is there when you want it :D

I went for the 20mm f1.8 because I prefer primes but also because the wider aperture can come in handy for keep the ISO down during longer exposure low light pictures... for that cruise to see the northern lights if I ever do get to go.

It’s looks good in the reviews. I’m currently considering the 20mm f1.8 and the 12-24 f4. The 20mm f1.8 is edging it as it’s able to use filters. That’s probably the biggest advantage over the 12-24. 20mm is probably a sweet spot as it’s wide but not as insanely wide as 12mm.

IMO 20mm is not wide enough to be the only UWA in the bag and 12mm is far too wide for it to be regularly useful.
Think 14-18mm is kinda the "good" UWA range.
Ofcourse entirely depends on how you shoot though.

IMO 20mm is not wide enough to be the only UWA in the bag and 12mm is far too wide for it to be regularly useful.
Think 14-18mm is kinda the "good" UWA range.
Ofcourse entirely depends on how you shoot though.
I'd probably go for the 16-35 f2.8 if I could afford it.
Can't afford it so will likely go for the 20mm at some point.
Would consider the samyang 18mm f2.8 if I wasn't so concerned about de-centering issues.

I'd probably go for the 16-35 f2.8 if I could afford it.
Can't afford it so will likely go for the 20mm at some point.
Would consider the samyang 18mm f2.8 if I wasn't so concerned about de-centering issues.

You can get 20mm/1.8 for £750 till tomorrow from LCE.
really awesome lens but it couldn't replace my 12-24mm.

I had the 16-35mm f2.8 too for a while. Its slightly bigger than I'd like it to be for travels.
but I'd like something slightly wider than 17-28mm....

What I really want is a 15-30mm or 14-30mm that can take filters and is compact.

I don't see where you can get the 20mm for £750.

Sony week?
Call them for a discount code....
I've got the email from LCE that offers 10% off (although it doesn't appear to be working) but that only takes it down from £949 to £854.10 if it worked. However, I see there's £100 cashback, can you apply this on top of the 10% discount?

I've got the email from LCE that offers 10% off (although it doesn't appear to be working) but that only takes it down from £949 to £854.10 if it worked. However, I see there's £100 cashback, can you apply this on top of the 10% discount?

Yes you can get the cashback on top of the discount.
The 10% off week has been slowly running across most UK shops in the just two months.

There have been some really nice deals.
Sony 90mm macro can be had for £650 which is a great price too.

Yes you can get the cashback on top of the discount.
The 10% off week has been slowly running across most UK shops in the just two months.

There have been some really nice deals.
Sony 90mm macro can be had for £650 which is a great price too.

Doesn’t the cashback need you to buy a camera too? My A9 is registered on ‘my Sony’ but it was purchased used at the start of last year. I doubt that will be acceptable for the cashback offer.

Doesn’t the cashback need you to buy a camera too? My A9 is registered on ‘my Sony’ but it was purchased used at the start of last year. I doubt that will be acceptable for the cashback offer.
nope just the lens as far as I can see.

Yep you need to have purchased a new camera recently.

It looks like you need to have bought/registered a camera within 12 months to be able to get the cashback codes.

View attachment 310232

Sounds like an offer for people new to Sony (or at least bought a new camera recenyly). rather than those who may be been with them a while.
Yep you need to have purchased a new camera recently.

Ah teaches me for not reading the small print on my phone.
Well I guess you only get 10% off then unless you bought a camera recently :-/

Back