The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What's this? A blue sky and Sun? Still cold though.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

HxIyN1P.jpg

ll0364q.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I took these just after xmas. What's interesting is that they're actually plain white backlit led panels that slowly change colour evenly. But I found that if I shot any faster than 1/50 shutter speed, it created these crazy colour patterns which I think look cool and bit trippy. :)

Walkway 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Walkway 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Walkway 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I took these just after xmas. What's interesting is that they're actually plain white backlit led panels that slowly change colour evenly. But I found that if I shot any faster than 1/50 shutter speed, it created these crazy colour patterns which I think look cool and bit trippy. :)

Yup. I like that :D

At this rate it'll be out before the 35GM..... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

If the Sony 50mm f1.2 is the size and weight of the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 with the same build quality and maybe just a teeny bit more expensive I'll buy one. I think my money's safe though :D

Last edited:
The red coat (£10 at Maxit, Redcar) is often a bit of an issue and often needs some - compensation painting on.

I've just been looking what DXO report as the dynamic range of some Sony's...

A7, 14.2.
A7III, 14.7.
A9, 13.3.

Does that look right? Has there been no increase in DR since the A7 and does the A9 really have less DR than my 1st generation A7? That can't be right? Can it?

I've just been looking what DXO report as the dynamic range of some Sony's...

A7, 14.2.
A7III, 14.7.
A9, 13.3.

Does that look right? Has there been no increase in DR since the A7 and does the A9 really have less DR than my 1st generation A7? That can't be right? Can it?
A7 does have slightly more base ISO dynamic range than A9 but A9 retains it better at higher ISO and gives better high ISO performance.

A7III is a fair bit better than what dxo would have you believe though

A7 does have slightly more base ISO dynamic range than A9 but A9 retains it better at higher ISO and gives better high ISO performance.

I expect there to be some sample or test variation but I am surprised that there hasn't been any significant move forward at low ISO's in what? 7 years?

I'm off to read what other people are reporting A7III DR to be.

I expect there to be some sample or test variation but I am surprised that there hasn't been any significant move forward at low ISO's in what? 7 years?

I'm off to read what other people are reporting A7III DR to be.
As above, the A9 retains higher DR at higher ISO’s which makes sense if you think about how sports cams are used. Base ISO DR is less important. The A9ii is better though at 14, and the A1 allegedly has 15, although I’ll wait for official test scores.

I think we’ve pretty much peaked with current sensors, it’s been hovering around 14.5-14.8 for quite some time. I’m sure they’ll be able to squeeze out an odd 0.1 here or there with fancy processing but doubt there’ll be a significant change without a significant change in tech.

I never knew that about the A9 dynamic range at higher ISO's. Good to know as I rarely shoot as base ISO.

I'm guessing by that strange jump, the A9 II has that dual ISO thingy?

Not sure what that is? I don’t know why it had the strange jump.

Not sure what that is? I don’t know why it had the strange jump.

Actually A9II is the only one that's somewhat accurate.
Most recent Sony sensors, basically since the A7Rii uses dual gain technology that gives dynamic range a second boost almost like a "second base" ISO.
Shows you inconsistent and unreliable dxo is.

I suggest using https://photonstophotos.net/ instead which is a lot more reliable and consistent for dynamic range measurements.

Actually A9II is the only one that's somewhat accurate.
Most recent Sony sensors, basically since the A7Rii uses dual gain technology that gives dynamic range a second boost almost like a "second base" ISO.
Shows you inconsistent and unreliable dxo is.

I suggest using https://photonstophotos.net/ instead which is a lot more reliable and consistent for dynamic range measurements.
Why is that more accurate than DXO?

Why is that more accurate than DXO?
pretty sure we've been through this on this thread before.... let's go through it again :D
DXO is inconsistent and wrong. its no secret that that Sony has been using dual gain since A7RII but as you can see in your own the comparison you posted above, dxo doesn't even show it for A9 and A7RIV. but magically shows up on A9II which uses the same sensor and processor as A9.

Here's another example A7RII vs A99ii - sony themselves said its the same sensor and processor but somehow A99ii has lower dynamic range
Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 07.57.20.png

have look on photonstophotos and you'll see its exactly the same and even shows the dual gain in operation at around ISO 640. A7RIV has a dual gain at around ISO400 which you can also see on photontophotos. What's more if you or anyone can be bothered you can follow the transparent methodology that photonstophotos uses and draw up your own graphs and end up at the same results. Bill's results has also been used and verified by many other tester like Jim Kasson, dpreview etc who spends a lot of time testing these things.

Is photonstophotos always correct? probably not... the results on there are based on RAWs contributed by the community and as such human error will play a part. Bill is completely honest about it. but its sure as hell more consistent and more reliable than anything dxo puts out at this point.

Last edited:
pretty sure we've been through this on this thread before.... let's go through it again :D
DXO is inconsistent and wrong. its no secret that that Sony has been using dual gain since A7RII but as you can see in your own the comparison you posted above, dxo doesn't even show it for A9 and A7RIV. but magically shows up on A9II which uses the same sensor and processor as A9.

Here's another example A7RII vs A99ii - sony themselves said its the same sensor and processor but somehow A99ii has lower dynamic range
View attachment 310283

have look on photonstophotos and you'll see its exactly the same and even shows the dual gain in operation at around ISO 640. A7RIV has a dual gain at around ISO400 which you can also see on photontophotos. What's more if you or anyone can be bothered you can follow the transparent methodology that photonstophotos uses and draw up your own graphs and end up at the same results. Bill's results has also been used and verified by many other tester like Jim Kasson, dpreview etc who spends a lot of time testing these things.

Is photonstophotos always correct? probably not... the results on there are based on RAWs contributed by the community and as such human error will play a part. Bill is completely honest about it. but its sure as hell more consistent and more reliable than anything dxo puts out at this point.
Interesting (y)

I was just thinking about buying a present for myself for my big birthday this year, the justification being that for the first time since leaving full time employment 11 years ago I'll have a regular income and I've had my A7 since they first came out. As the camera will primarily be a day out and holiday camera with some social photography thrown in it doesn't really need to be a low light monster but the silent shutter of the A9 would be nice but not if it comes at the cost of DR at daylight ISO levels as there are times when the A7 doesn't have quite enough. I suppose the A7III would be a better buy for me but you don't get the silent shutter with that so I might as well not bother and wait for something with A7 DR at low ISO and a silent shutter.

Oh well. Sometimes it's difficult to spend money :D

I was just thinking about buying a present for myself for my big birthday this year, the justification being that for the first time since leaving full time employment 11 years ago I'll have a regular income and I've had my A7 since they first came out. As the camera will primarily be a day out and holiday camera with some social photography thrown in it doesn't really need to be a low light monster but the silent shutter of the A9 would be nice but not if it comes at the cost of DR at daylight ISO levels as there are times when the A7 doesn't have quite enough. I suppose the A7III would be a better buy for me but you don't get the silent shutter with that so I might as well not bother and wait for something with A7 DR at low ISO and a silent shutter.

Oh well. Sometimes it's difficult to spend money :D

I have my A7 III on silent.

I have my A7 III on silent.

The A7 has silent shutter? I didn't know that.

I might buy one then. I'll see how I feel on my birthday :D

Last edited:
Wrong font... :LOL:

When I was working I used to produce long technical reports running into hundreds of pages. Once a company MD sat looking at one and said "I don't like the font." I thought "If that's all you've got to say it's job done." :D

I don't like the font is therefore my go to now if there's nothing wrong with something.

When I was working I used to produce long technical reports running into hundreds of pages. Once a company MD sat looking at one and said "I don't like the font." I thought "If that's all you've got to say it's job done." :D

I don't like the font is therefore my go to now if there's nothing wrong with something.
Been there, done that. Except in my case it was one of the councillors. Prat.

Back