The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just thinking.

It's my 60th soon so I was thinking of buying myself a present, but I have alternatives for just about everything I've looked at so I might not bother.

Don't you have an A7, why don't you go for a later model with a better EVF? I have an A7r2 and I turned 50 3 months ago and we decided to delay the celebration until my 51st next year. That suited me as hopefully the A7IV might be out then or the R version will have dropped further in price. I want the better EVF as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so that alone is a good enough reason to upgrade as I love my vintage glass.

A better EVF would make using your vintage glass much more pleasurable.

As you can see I have convinced myself into my next upgrade;)

Last edited:
y6jh7nx.jpg

sKg1cMR.jpg

Don't you have an A7, why don't you go for a later model with a better EVF? I have an A7r2 and I turned 50 3 months ago and we decided to delay the celebration until my 51st next year. That suited me as hopefully the A7IV might be out then or the R version will have dropped further in price. I want the better EVF as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so that alone is a good enough reason to upgrade as I love my vintage glass.

A better EVF would make using your vintage glass much more pleasurable.

As you can see I have convinced myself into my next upgrade;)

Thanks but for whatever reason a new camera doesn't really interest me as my A7 does just about everything apart from fast tracking which I don't need and silent shooting which would be nice but it's not essential as I have other cameras that'll do that. A better evf could be a revelation but the A7's is good enough for me in my ignorance of how much better one can be :D The A7c could have interested me but for me there are just too many niggles that add up to make it unsuitable for me. Good luck to those who love that camera though.

A nice read on DPR about lens designs and why modern 50mm f1.x's are so much bigger and more complex than older lenses...

What I did the other day, compared all my 50mm f1.4's to my Voigtlander lenses at f1.4 and f2.

Untitled-1.jpg

I missed Sony quietly release another 50mm lens.

https://panamoz.com/gb/sony-fe-50mm-f25-marco.html
wasn't quiet it was part of their small lens trinity - 24/2.8G, 40/2.5G and 50/2.5G. Looks like lenses mostly released with A7C in mind but seem fairly good and decent if you don't mind the smaller aperture.

pictures on panamoz seems to be wrong and for the 50mm f1.2 GM

Last edited:
wasn't quiet it was part of their small lens trinity - 24/2.8G, 40/2.5G and 50/2.5G. Looks like lenses mostly released with A7C in mind but seem fairly good and decent if you don't mind the smaller aperture.

pictures on panamoz seems to be wrong and for the 50mm f1.2 GM

maybe its the photo that thrown me then

The 24mm looks maybe the most interesting but I don't know if my camera or software will apply the corrections or not and the Sigma focuses closer. I have the 35mm f2.8 so the others don't really appeal, but I suppose those who like the build and aperture ring might be tempted.

I liked the three men and an elephant review.

A nice read on DPR about lens designs and why modern 50mm f1.x's are so much bigger and more complex than older lenses...

This is all fine, as long as they don’t focus entirely on sharpness and forget rendering. Sometimes a less technically perfect lens actually produces nicer aesthetics (subjective of course (y))

This is all fine, as long as they don’t focus entirely on sharpness and forget rendering. Sometimes a less technically perfect lens actually produces nicer aesthetics (subjective of course (y))

As I've said many times I'd love lenses like the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's I had for Canon DSLR's.

Looking at the lenses I have the old film era lenses are fine stopped down and even fine with the right scene at wide apertures but can give harsh bokeh at wide apertures with a complex scene. My Voigtlander 40 and 50mm lenses give a much smoother look than the old film era primes with a messy scene and that's besides any other "issues" which could be classed as character.

The Takumar 50mm f1.4 at f1.4.

This picture looks very similar to my Voigtlander 35mm at f1.4, not too bad for either.

ouKx6a9.jpg

This one shows a lot of glow around the white lettering.

uh0qxMO.jpg

Same scene stopped down.

ROuKBhZ.jpg

In this one the messy background looks rough, a modern wide aperture lens will doubtless give a much smoother background.

w3zJHBY.jpg

The most extreme lens I have is probably the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 (but the Rokkor 35mm f1.8 could be...) which can look rough at wide apertures with an unfriendly scene. Of the more modern lenses I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 can give a wild look at f1.4. With all these lenses stopping down improves things.

Last edited:
I don't normally take my dog when I am taking photos but she was due a walk today so I decided I would see how she behaved. Very glad I did as she just sat by my side and was lovely company not to mention being a fabulous model when the bluebell shots weren't going as well as hoped.
Brooke in the Bluebells by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Online Photographer has an A6600 for review and this is the latest piece he's posted about it...

The rumor site reports that a high end APS-C camera may be on the way, and may be A7c like.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony do and how it's received.

Is anyone looking forward this a new high end Sony APS-C?

TBH with smaller mirrorless FF cameras now relatively inexpensive I see APS-C as a dead format except for those that need to squeeze max reach out of their lenses. If I want a smaller ILC then I'd choose M43.

I've been thinking about selling (or try to sell) my MFT kit as I hardly use it these days but the 45-150mm and 100-400mm have so far stopped me as they're nice just to take pictures of visitors to the garden. The lack of DR v my A7 is really noticeable to me though.

I've been thinking about selling (or try to sell) my MFT kit as I hardly use it these days but the 45-150mm and 100-400mm have so far stopped me as they're nice just to take pictures of visitors to the garden. The lack of DR v my A7 is really noticeable to me though.

Would a newer M43 body be better?

I don't know. I have a GX9 and GX80 so that's the 20mp and 16mp sensors.

To be honest I've no idea what the latest body is but I'd be a bit surprised if the image quality has taken a big step forward.

PS.
AFAIK they're still using the 20mp sensor, don't know about the 16mp one.

Last edited:
I sold all my Oly Kit. The Sony Full Frame wasn't wildly bigger and is much more powerful. If Olympus had made a better sensor I might have considered keeping it but I shoot at high iso quite often and love shallow depth of field. Sony just about matched the size and was much better for what I need. The Olympus kit was so to use, fitted in the hand well and the live preview and pro capture are things I can't understand why other manufacturers don't try and emulate.

I had MFT mini SLR cameras, the G1 which I thought handled great and the G7 which I hated. Shutter shock was an issue but also I found the grip so uncomfortable it annoyed and irritated me every time I used it. The two MFT cameras I have now are both RF style and they do have advantages over my A7 as they can shoot silently, have a built in flash which can be tilted and they are significantly smaller with the Oly 9-18mm or the 45-150 and 100-400mm but for me the A7's files are just so much nicer plus I can use all those lovely film era lenses at their intended FoV. I also have a 1" sensor TZ100 which squeezes MFT out too.

I do think about selling but for what I'd get is it worth it? Possibly not.

I went to Holland Park in west london yesterday. The intention was to try out my ND filter as there's a good waterfall in a japanese area called Kyoto Garden. But it was a fail because of a queue of people walking in a line to look at it and blocking the view, and I found out you're not allowed to set up a tripod. Ah well, I got some other pics, amongst them a lovely Peacock. I snapped him squawking, he was REALLY loud. :D

Holland Park
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Peacock 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Peacock 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Peacock 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Guys, what would you pick for a general walk around lens out of these? I've already got an 18mm Samyang but its to wide for a lot of stuff.

1. Samyang 24mm 2.8
  2. Samyang 35mm 2.8
  3. Sony 28mm 2

If you can afford the FE28/2 you can probably afford the samyang 35mm f1.8 or Samyang 45mm f1.8. I'd pick one of these two depending on your focal length preference.

Guys, what would you pick for a general walk around lens out of these? I've already got an 18mm Samyang but its to wide for a lot of stuff.

1. Samyang 24mm 2.8
  2. Samyang 35mm 2.8
  3. Sony 28mm 2

If you are restricted to just those 3, I would go with the 35mm which makes more sense fir a general purpose lens, plus the Samayang 24 is truly awful, I dislike the Sony 28 as well. A better option would be the newer Samyang 35 f/1.8 and a better again option would be the Sony 35mm f/1.8 which is great for general purpose as it focuses so close.

As said already, of the 3, the 35 f2.8 (I have one, it works well) but the 35 f1.8 would be more versatile and possibly offer better performance.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I think I'll trade the 18mm in and use the extra cash to get the 35 1.8 Samyang

Which 18mm? I think i'm still looking for a samyang 18mm f2.8, has I was unlucky with the previous one I bought.

I sold all my Oly Kit. The Sony Full Frame wasn't wildly bigger and is much more powerful. If Olympus had made a better sensor I might have considered keeping it but I shoot at high iso quite often and love shallow depth of field. Sony just about matched the size and was much better for what I need. The Olympus kit was so to use, fitted in the hand well and the live preview and pro capture are things I can't understand why other manufacturers don't try and emulate.
I sometimes regret selling my Olly gear, the Sony 100-400mm is that bit too heavy for me to comfortably/easily do slow speed pans, the Panny 100-400mm was much easier in this regard. I was always happy with the IQ from the Olly for what I used it for, but there's not doubt FF has better 'pop' and less noisy.

1. Samyang 24mm 2.8
  2. Samyang 35mm 2.8
  3. Sony 28mm 2
As above, the 35mm f1.8 is a more versatile lens but if you want a compact package then the 35mm f2.8 is hard to beat.

I sometimes regret selling my Olly gear, the Sony 100-400mm is that bit too heavy for me to comfortably/easily do slow speed pans, the Panny 100-400mm was much easier in this regard. I was always happy with the IQ from the Olly for what I used it for, but there's not doubt FF has better 'pop' and less noisy.

As above, the 35mm f1.8 is a more versatile lens but if you want a compact package then the 35mm f2.8 is hard to beat.

your motorsport shots with Olympus were top drawer.

Last edited:

perhaps sigma 100-400mm is the answer for you ;)

Back