The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

GM does retain slightly more contrast in backlit situations but sigma is pretty close and can be easily fixed in PP.

As for the link I don't really trust him fully, but according to that table sigma is "outstanding" while 85GM is two steps behind at only "very good" (I think GM is better than just "very good"). even samyang is better at "excellent" rating according to him.

I have shot a few weddings with the Sigma, borrowed it from a videographer friend while my missus used the G.M. I was interested in it just for the lighter weight. For me I preferred the G.M so we now have 2 of the G.M’s.

GM does retain slightly more contrast in backlit situations but sigma is pretty close and can be easily fixed in PP.

As for the link I don't really trust him fully, but according to that table sigma is "outstanding" while 85GM is two steps behind at only "very good" (I think GM is better than just "very good"). even samyang is better at "excellent" rating according to him.

I suspect that if the lens you already have performs in a way that's satisfactory for you then you probably won't see a benefit from upgrading.

TcgHiLu.jpg

already upgraded :p
I consider the sigma an upgrade over GM (had the GM before it).
GM's a no go for me anyway, looks too little space between lens and grip. Sigma DG DN is more than enough for me anyway (y)

Been up in the loft getting down lens boxes!

Can't go out taking photos. Weather is terrible!
This weekend looks pretty bad.
I am kinda hoping all the bad weather comes and goes now before next bank holiday weekend :ROFLMAO:

This weekend looks pretty bad.
I am kinda hoping all the bad weather comes and goes now before next bank holiday weekend :ROFLMAO:
I just need to pull my finger out and take some proper shots. All I've done for the last 6 months is take a few grab shots whilst walking Betty :rolleyes:

I just need to pull my finger out and take some proper shots. All I've done for the last 6 months is take a few grab shots whilst walking Betty :rolleyes:
This year has been pretty terrible so far for photography.
I changed roles at my job in Feb and that's kept me really busy. I am having learn lot and upskill in new areas which I'm enjoying a lot but that doesn't my help photography.
I have few trips planned, so hopefully rest of the year will be much better.

Last edited:
I have started getting up for a few sunrises and doing more local stuff but I am wary of travelling too far as it simply doesn't feel right to do it. I pondered Bow Fiddle Rock through the week as the sun and tides were perfect but Moray had a Covid outbreak so that put me off.

I have started getting up for a few sunrises and doing more local stuff but I am wary of travelling too far as it simply doesn't feel right to do it. I pondered Bow Fiddle Rock through the week as the sun and tides were perfect but Moray had a Covid outbreak so that put me off.
I’ve never seen crowds at Bow Fiddle - in fact I’ve never seen more than a couple of others. Distance to travel doesn’t bother me now.

I’ve never seen crowds at Bow Fiddle - in fact I’ve never seen more than a couple of others. Distance to travel doesn’t bother me now.
I think I have been conditioned by society to be cautious. The weather isn't great for the next few days as I had taken Monday and Tuesday off but can't see anywhere that looks good

Great win for my team in today's semi final and after getting up for a sunrise today to photograph the Easer Road from Calton Hill I will, as a typically superstitious fan, have to do it all over again in a fortnight's time

Very nice Lee. Not something I've really tried but certainly much nicer with some colour in the sky.

Thanks Lee. (y) My original version had a bluer sky which I really liked as it gave a slightly different mood, but I've now desaturated the blue a bit and it's helped improve the clouds.

Thanks Lee. (y) My original version had a bluer sky which I really liked as it gave a slightly different mood, but I've now desaturated the blue a bit and it's helped improve the clouds.

Good decision (y)

I love blue hour (just after golden hour) is great for this stuff. It's my preferred time to take an exterior venue shot.

JtVSwpA.jpg

Si2Gr8q.jpg

Nice :) It is surprising how 'blue' blue hour actually is. I know from shooting milky way early mornings it's surprising how quick that colour starts to come through!

Just thinking.

It's my 60th soon so I was thinking of buying myself a present, but I have alternatives for just about everything I've looked at so I might not bother.

Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 SE (but I have the 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.)
Sony 35mm f1.4 GM (but I have the Sony 35mm f1.8.)
Sony 50mm f1.2 (but I have the 55mm f1.8.)
Tamron 17-28mm (but I have the Sony 20mm f1.8.)
Outside and unlikely bet... Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 (but I have the 35mm f1.4.)

I should give my Voigtander 40mm f1.2 and Sony 35 and 55mm f1.8's a good go as really they should be enough for what I need but I can hardly remember the last time I used any of these lenses. Maybe that's a clue and I should not bother buying anything. Another issue is that stuff seems to struggle to sell in the sales section here.

I asked Mrs WW if she wanted a present as I start receiving a company pension soon so thought we could all have a prezzie and I expected her to say yes to a new tablet and keyboard type thingy but surprisingly she doesn't want anything. oh well.

PS to the above.

A7 v Canon 5D. I had the Sigma 50mm f1.4 but that one doesn't seem to be on the comparison site so I picked the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the A7's have the 50mm f1.2 and 55mm f1.8.

1-Untitled-1.jpg

The A7 is smaller than the 5D but I didn't get into mirrorless for honking lenses.

I know these lenses are in a completely different class to that old Sigma 50mm f1.4 I had but I do wish there were more compact and good enough lenses, like that Sigma 50mm f1.4, for the Sony system. I'm not interested in the Sony 50mm f1.8 due to reports of iffy focus.

Just thinking.

It's my 60th soon so I was thinking of buying myself a present, but I have alternatives for just about everything I've looked at so I might not bother.

I should give my Voigtander 40mm f1.2 and Sony 35 and 55mm f1.8's a good go as really they should be enough for what I need but I can hardly remember the last time I used any of these lenses. Maybe that's a clue and I should not bother buying anything. Another issue is that stuff seems to struggle to sell in the sales section here.

I asked Mrs WW if she wanted a present as I start receiving a company pension soon so thought we could all have a prezzie and I expected her to say yes to a new tablet and keyboard type thingy but surprisingly she doesn't want anything. oh well.
The Tamron 17-28 is an excellent lens. If you are considering a manual 50mm, I found the Zeiss Loxia to be rather delicious to use, even better than the Voigtlanders.

Just thinking.

Alan in all seriousness (and given some of the other threads you've posted), why don't you put the money towards some respite care, so you can stop being a carer for a couple of weeks, and have a decent (and well deserved) holiday with your wife. You probably need that more than (another) lens!!! :)

I have the Sony 50mm f1.8.

No problems with the focus for me.

I'm guessing you're not using an A7 and that lens has been linked with hunting and misfocusing and does as far as I'm aware have a less than great focus system. I had the 50mm f2.8 macro for a day and the focus was utterly unreliable and only maybe hit one in three so if any lens suffers any degree of hunting in reviews I think I'd rather steer clear.

Alan in all seriousness (and given some of the other threads you've posted), why don't you put the money towards some respite care, so you can stop being a carer for a couple of weeks, and have a decent (and well deserved) holiday with your wife. You probably need that more than (another) lens!!! :)

Thanks for the thought. I'm getting some help from a family member but having said that she didn't turn up on Friday, no show, no phone call, nothing. Respite care is difficult as our relative is aware much of the time and even when not would greatly resist that and has resisted other things that would help both me and her. We had a terrible time lately with delirium (delirium makes Alzheimer's seem like a walk in the park) and appalling behaviour by the NHS (and try complaining.... total and utter denial, stalling and brick wall...) but she's over that now and things are sort of ok except can't get out of the house much.

As I've said before although I can't get out much researching and buying is a sort of escape... but I may side step the expensive stuff as I don't suppose there's any real need and just buy the odd cheap film era prime as I do now.

Just thinking.

The 50mm f1.2 GM is the most interesting of the bunch you list. that's one I'd spend your money on :D
My offer for the 17-28mm still stands ;)

It's not that easy, for one you have to find somewhere/someone you can trust to do the caring and if you do then you spend the 2 weeks worrying that maybe they weren't the right person to begin with and you should be there making sure it's done properly so the "holiday" actually becomes even worse than being there. Our son was born with special needs and we haven't had a night without him in all that time, probably made a rod for our own backs but that's just how it is.

Interestingly, during covid most of the day centres have been closed down so carers have had it a lot harder than usual yet (unlike most other benefits which have gone up by £20 a week and the unemployed don't have to job search)) carers allowance has stayed the same because the government know full well they aren't going to just walk away.

Aplogies for the party political broadcast at the end.

PS to the above.

A7 v Canon 5D. I had the Sigma 50mm f1.4 but that one doesn't seem to be on the comparison site so I picked the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the A7's have the 50mm f1.2 and 55mm f1.8.

View attachment 317988

The A7 is smaller than the 5D but I didn't get into mirrorless for honking lenses.

I know these lenses are in a completely different class to that old Sigma 50mm f1.4 I had but I do wish there were more compact and good enough lenses, like that Sigma 50mm f1.4, for the Sony system. I'm not interested in the Sony 50mm f1.8 due to reports of iffy focus.

The Sony A mount 50 f1.4 is about the same size as the Canon, and will stick out about as far when adapted.

The FE mount Sony 50 f1.8 focussing on my A7III is about as reliable as the A mount 50 f1.4 on my Minolta 7000 - sort of works, but you'll get better results manually if you need critical focus wide open. Stop down to f11 and it doesn't matter so much.

PS to the above.

View attachment 317988

Pick the Canon 50/1.2 ?

I wish people would stop mentioning the 50mm GM...just saying..

I love the 3D effect you get, presumably quite shallow DoF.
Thanks. Yeah it’s the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN, it renders really nicely IMO.

Back