The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes I saw that.

I like my flower and detail shots but I don't know how common and necessary this sort of shooting is? It could well matter for wedding shooters for ring and flower shots and other professionals needing similar closer focusing? But is it a deal breaker?

I like close up filters as not only do they allow close up shooting they also allow the lens to be used for close ups without being at minimum focus distance where some lenses aren't so good but screwing these things on and off may not be very popular with people doing this for money and under time pressures, but that's not me and maybe not most of us here.

Is close focus performance worth the extra £xxx?

Yes I saw that.

I like my flower and detail shots but I don't know how common and necessary this sort of shooting is? It could well matter for wedding shooters for ring and flower shots and other professionals needing similar closer focusing? But is it a deal breaker?

I like close up filters as not only do they allow close up shooting they also allow the lens to be used for close ups without being at minimum focus distance where some lenses aren't so good but screwing these things on and off may not be very popular with people doing this for money and under time pressures, but that's not me and maybe not most of us here.

Depends, but it will always be on the back of my mind and it won't be something the client will notice. One of those 1% thing between Very Good to Amazing.

If I/you/we can afford the best then why not? But I do wonder how much of an issue each of these pixel peeing nit picking differences really are or if they add up to an issue. As you say, maybe this is a 1% thing.

I don't know how many close up non macro lens close up pictures we've had in this thread, I know I've posted quite a few, but I just don't know if this or any of the nit picking difference finding things are really significant to people looking at any of these higher end lenses. Which brings me to my previous point. If I/you/we can afford the best that may well be the Sony 35mm f1.4 GM for stills photography anyway.

I am tempted but I don't think I'll bother with one (35mm f1.4) as I like the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 as a walkabout when I'm by myself, I like the Sony 35mm f2.8 as a day out and holiday lens when I'm likely to want the speed AF brings and I suppose I'll use the Sony 35mm f1.8 one day... plus although I like the odd shallow DoF shot I think it gets done to death and stop any of these lenses down a bit and the differences could be negligible.

Last edited:
Yes I saw that.

its not just close focus performance though (watch the Dustin Abbott review and dpreviewtv one as well)
GM has a better flatter field, better sharpness at f1.4, better rendering and bokeh, contrast and micro-contrast or what people "pop".
All this coupled with better AF system, smaller and lighter lens.
in this case I really do feel you get what you pay for.
Considering the canon Lii version came at nearly £2K few years back, this lens is priced particularly well too.

Talking about me personally Sigma certainly doesn't make me want to swap from Sony to Sigma like the 85DN did for me when I swapped from 85GM to 85DN.

Last edited:
I have spent a lot of money on 35mm in the last few years. I also had the Zeiss in between. Strangely, the L cost more today than 4 years ago.

OOD9jPO.png

Last edited:
its not just close focus performance though (watch the Dustin Abbott review and dpreviewtv one as well)
GM has a better flatter field, better sharpness at f1.4, better rendering and bokeh, contrast and micro-contrast or what people "pop".
All this coupled with better AF system, smaller and lighter lens.
in this case I really do feel you get what you pay for.
Considering the canon Lii version came at nearly £2K few years back, this lens is priced particularly well too.

I've watched them more than once.

The size and bulk of these lenses probably means they're not for me as the 20mm f1.8 is already pushing it for me as I like compact kit. The bokeh and look is important but I'm not sure based on what I've seen so far as in one of those vids I preferred the Sigma shot but I'd expect the look to vary between subjects and scenes and the spatial distances and relationships and then there's the question of the look when stopped down and the effect of processing on the look. Another thing for me is how many pictures I'd want to take at f1.4. Field curvature and micro contrast and some of the other stuff, I don't think it matters to me.

While I'm here...

you can't have everything ;)
I am still waiting for the the brigade to arrive "we need new version for 100-400GM that's constant f2.8, goes to 500mm like canon RF but smaller".
its started for the 70-200GM and recently for 85GM lol

you can't have everything ;)
I am still waiting for the the brigade to arrive "we need new version for 100-400GM that's constant f2.8, goes to 500mm like canon RF but smaller".
its started for the 70-200GM and recently for 85GM lol
Don't sell it short, I want a 24-600mm f1.8 the size and weight of the Tamron 70-180mm :LOL:

As I do have so many cameras and sadly don't use one of them anymore I'm thinking about getting rid of one plus a lens. A9 all boxed and FE 55mm f1.8, and I'm keeping the rest. Will have a look around for prices second hand then stick them up for sale once I find everything that came with them.

Last edited:
As I do have so many cameras and sadly don't use one of them anymore I'm thinking about getting rid of one plus a lens. A9 all boxed and FE 55mm f1.8, and I'm keeping the rest. Will have a look around for prices second hand then stick them up for sale once I find everything that came with them.

Scrap this idea, I'm damned if I'm getting rid of anymore kit so I will use it.

The rumor site reports that a high end APS-C camera may be on the way, and may be A7c like.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony do and how it's received.

Is anyone looking forward this a new high end Sony APS-C?

If Sony made a APS-C body with the Af and size of a A9 that had a 28+ MP sensor and an add on grip I would buy one along with a 200-600mm.

This is nuts. I've been in Westminster testing my nd filter and I'm now in Whitehall outside Downing street in the middle of a massive free palestine peaceful demonstration. Thousands of people cheering , sounds like being at a football stadium, and chanting "free free palestine!" Scores of police, msmoke canisters, and a red bus stopped in the middle of the road as well as climbers on the roof waving flags. And they climbed traffic lights too Taken loads of photos. I feel like paparazzi. :D

Last edited:
This is nuts. I've been in Westminster testing my nd filter and I'm now in Whitehall outside Downing street in the middle of a massive free palestine peaceful demonstration. Thousands of people cheering , sounds like being at a football stadium, and chanting "free free palestine!" Scores of police, msmoke canisters, and a red bus stopped in the middle of the road as well as climbers on the roof waving flags. And they climbed traffic lights too Taken loads of photos. I feel like paparazzi. :D

Right up your street! But I'd rather be in a quiet misty woodland :ROFLMAO:

Make the most of the opportunity, but stay safe.

I've left there now. Was at college green earlier photographing media people, talk radio presenters and cameramen as it was state opening of parliament. That was pretty interesting. :)

Right up your street! But I'd rather be in a quiet misty woodland :ROFLMAO:

I know what you mean. I kind of had my cake and ate it today. Got some long exposure daytime shots and also some street. What's not to like. :D

Samyang 18mm 2.8 - I've already boxed it up for MPB. If I'm honest I don't think I have a great copy either.

Mine is box too. Bought it new and the seller repaired it but send it back with a new "fault".
First it wasn't able to autofocus past 1m
Now anything past 10m is soft manual or autofocus. :-(.

I'd love a good one. Don't think there is any lens in this price range with similar aperture/focal lenght.

Mine is box too. Bought it new and the seller repaired it but send it back with a new "fault".

I'd love a good one. Don't think there is any lens in this price range with similar aperture/focal lenght.
I've just bought one from Amazon, so far I've only tested it by shooting a brick wall, perhaps I should do some further testing like decentering.

I've just bought one from Amazon, so far I've only tested it by shooting a brick wall, perhaps I should do some further testing like decentering.

Mine is 90% for astro so need to be able to focus at infinity with decent sharpness and no decentering.
I like the idea of the 18mm because thanks to AF and small size, I can use it for other stuff from time to time.
I was pretty gutted when it came back from repair but didn't behave today :-(.

Mine is 90% for astro so need to be able to focus at infinity with decent sharpness and no decentering.
I like the idea of the 18mm because thanks to AF and small size, I can use it for other stuff from time to time.
I was pretty gutted when it came back from repair but didn't behave today :-(.

I don't think I've ever seen that lens used for Astro stuff!,

I just bought one as a ex-demo lens. Seems fine so far.

I just bought one as a ex-demo lens. Seems fine so far.
I have just re-tested my copy with a bit more rigour than taking shots of the brick wall :D and it really is quite soft at a greater distance so I've arranged with Amazon for a return and refund. Wide angle photography is not really my thing but I was hoping to use it for some astrophotography as well and also felt that having a cheap but usable 18mm in my bag would be an asset. Now my widest lens is my Tamron 28-75 which is really excellent but I think that 28mm is not wide enough for astrophotography.

I have just re-tested my copy with a bit more rigour than taking shots of the brick wall :D and it really is quite soft at a greater distance so I've arranged with Amazon for a return and refund. Wide angle photography is not really my thing but I was hoping to use it for some astrophotography as well and also felt that having a cheap but usable 18mm in my bag would be an asset. Now my widest lens is my Tamron 28-75 which is really excellent but I think that 28mm is not wide enough for astrophotography.
This is a real-world photo from mine taken yesterday at the bottom of the garden. OK, it's not the best subject or composition, but I think it shows as a reasonably good lens. It was taken at f5.6 on the A7Rii, focussed on the holly bush just left of centre.

Samyang 18mm test by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I bought a 200-600 yesterday morning to photograph a competitive cricket match, I was not happy with the sharpness when I checked at 100% - but perhaps it was atmospheric disturbance, so this morning I did some 'proper' tests. Shot from the same position, cropped to match (600mm has advantage in cropping)

I discovered the 200-600 @ 600mm f6.3 is not as sharp as the 100-400 f5.6 even after it's been cropped in to match - which I assume means I could have shot the cricket on my 100-400 and go sharper images even if I needed to crop.

near = about 10 feet
far = about 20 feet

A1108456 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108454 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108458 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108459 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

with these kind of results i'd be better off shooting 100-400 and cropping.

Hi guys i have the sony A1 , the 24mm 1.4 GM AND 50MM GM 1.2 would it be worth getting the 35mm GM 1.4 and keeping 24

I bought a 200-600 yesterday morning to photograph a competitive cricket match, I was not happy with the sharpness when I checked at 100% - but perhaps it was atmospheric disturbance, so this morning I did some 'proper' tests. Shot from the same position, cropped to match (600mm has advantage in cropping)

I discovered the 200-600 @ 600mm f6.3 is not as sharp as the 100-400 f5.6 even after it's been cropped in to match - which I assume means I could have shot the cricket on my 100-400 and go sharper images even if I needed to crop.

near = about 10 feet
far = about 20 feet

A1108456 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108454 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108458 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1108459 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

with these kind of results i'd be better off shooting 100-400 and cropping.
That was my opinion too, plus I didn't want the extra 1kg weight of the 200-600mm. Also, from my experience using the 1.4x TC on the 100-400mm is sharper than using the 100-400mm and cropping to match, so unless you want the extra light then the 100-400mm with 1.4TC makes more sense than the 200-600mm to me, except for the massive cost difference of course.

Back