The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My "talent" used to be art, mostly drawing with various things but haven't bothered for years.

I once did some flowers using highlighter pens as I'd sat and looked at them and thought they were very vivid and would be good to do something with. I made one for someone I worked with over the phone and after that got phone call after phone call from others wanting to know why "x" got one and they didn't so ended up doing quite a few.

Home printing is expensive and can be a right PITA but at least you're in control of quality. Apart from the wedding album the only other picture I've had printed professionally was a disaster as it was way too dark and this wasn't a calibration issue at my end as I printed the picture at home and it was fine. I didn't bother going back, just wrote it off. That experience did put me off but the wedding album has maybe restored some confidence as it's fine. I've had most of my pictures professionally framed but for the last on I just bought the frame and did it myself and no one commented on how it stuck out as a DIY, so I'd deffo think about home printing and DIY framing again.

Home or professional printing you have a calibrating issue to overcome so that's not a reason to go one way or the other. As for quality control, it's why I go to Loxley. I have done enough wedding albums through them to know what they look like so that's not a problem.

Loxley can do framing but I prefer to go to a framer, pick out the wood in person, see the grain, the shade of brown. You can lay it all out on a table with your print and mock up what it looks like. How thick a mount you want, the shade of the card, single or double mount. All that stuff.

Home or professional printing you have a calibrating issue to overcome so that's not a reason to go one way or the other.

One of the reasons I went for home printing was to be in control of quality. Paying others to do it has been a 50/50 experience for me as I've only done it twice, once it was a write off and the other time it was ok. The problem for me and I suppose anyone else looking to get something professionally done is who to go to if you have no experience. The company who cocked it up for me was RGB in Middlesbrough but they're long gone. They had a good reputation so I don't know why they cocked mine up. Maybe they'd have sorted it if I went back but I just wrote it off and did it myself.

Loxley can do framing but I prefer to go to a framer, pick out the wood in person, see the grain, the shade of brown. You can lay it all out on a table with your print and mock up what it looks like. How thick a mount you want, the shade of the card, single or double mount. All that stuff.

I went through all that years ago but as I said for the last one I did it myself and no one ever commented. It's possibly not something I'd bother with again as time it tight now but the framers I used decades ago will have no doubt gone now so I'd be starting from scratch.

My "talent" used to be art, mostly drawing with various things but haven't bothered for years.

I once did some flowers using highlighter pens as I'd sat and looked at them and thought they were very vivid and would be good to do something with. I made one for someone I worked with over the phone and after that got phone call after phone call from others wanting to know why "x" got one and they didn't so ended up doing quite a few.

When at school with me my real talent was woodwork and metalwork, loved both.

When at school with me my real talent was woodwork and metalwork, loved both.

Same for me. When I left school I wanted to be a joiner but ended up as an electrician before getting into computers. I still have a chess board I made at school.

Hmmm. Question about printing.

Who prints?
I used to but I seem to have stopped. I used to print for myself and if anyone asked me for a picture as some in the family still frame pictures and put them on the wall. I used to do a calendar every year but that's drifted away too.

Who frames and puts them on a wall and if so what size?
I think if I put any up they'll be less than A3.

I've thought about some books, I got a wedding album made up and have thought about doing some more, family stuff, Saltburn, things like that. Anyone do books?
I print loads of stuff. Most of the camera club use me and my house has many framed prints of images I have taken, printed and framed. I have an old z3100 24" printer and make my own ICC profiles. Prints are very close to my profiled screen and I love using a huge variety of papers, Printing is expensive but it is also hugely satisfying and I like knowing that I have been in control of the whole photographic process. Even if you don't print your work on your own printer I would encourage all photographers to shell out for the odd big print. It is a completely different viewing experience from looking on a screen.

Looking at getting a used A9, are there any issues or problems I should be aware of? Many thanks, Andy.

A few things:
  • Dynamic range isn't the best, but certainly not a problem. Seems to do a good job with dynamic range higher up the ISO which is more relevant to me.
  • Only one of the two card slots are UHS-II, but there is a lot of flexibility on how to set up the two cards. For me UHS-II is set for photos and the UHS-I is set for videos.
  • If you use the AF-ON button as 'Back Button Focus' it is easy to press the Video Record button by accident instead, although you soon overcome this.
  • The rear screen doesn't fully articulate, so not ideal as a vlogging camera.
  • Menu takes a little while to get used to where things are if not familiar with Sony menus

Some of the features which stand out the most to me:
  • It has awesome auto-focus and eye-af tracking
  • Very customisable with lots of custom buttons
  • Excellent low light performance
  • Menu has a custom section for quick access to user-defined settings
  • High FPS plus the electronic shutter (and type of sensor used) allows insanely high shutter speeds (very handy for f1.4 lens in bright light if no ND filter)
  • Solid feeling build quality
  • Low rolling shutter effect

It's excellent value for money in my opinion, although I wouldn't say no to an A7Riv either as that big MP sensor is appealing to me.

Last edited:
A few things:

• If you use the AF-ON button as 'Back Button Focus' it is easy to press the Video Record button by accident instead, although you soon overcome this.

When I first got the A9 I was ready to sell it on as I constantly hit the rec button instead of AF on. No issues now and it fits very well in the hand when you get used to it.

Looking at getting a used A9, are there any issues or problems I should be aware of? Many thanks, Andy.

Common issues to look for if buying used are a faulty hotshoe there was a recall when they first launched for this. Hotshoe can easily be damaged as people use heavy on camera flashes then lift and carry camera via holding the flash. Another common issue is a sticky shutter button.

Last edited:
Quite an interesting phone with 1" sensor camera and a 19mm/1.9 equiv lens.

Its by no means the first of its kind, panasonic tried it with DMC-CM1 a while back. I used own the this phone and it was bit of a brick tbh. I think panasonic died because of thier poor marketing (you could only buy in camera shops, not in any mobile phone shops for example!)
Sharp seems much slicker and refined. perhaps may be even better supported.

Quite an interesting phone with 1" sensor camera and a 19mm/1.9 equiv lens.

Its by no means the first of its kind, panasonic tried it with DMC-CM1 a while back. I used own the this phone and it was bit of a brick tbh. I think panasonic died because of thier poor marketing (you could only buy in camera shops, not in any mobile phone shops for example!)
Sharp seems much slicker and refined. perhaps may be even better supported.

I wonder if it would have been better to take advantage of the larger 1" sensor and make it 10MP for better low light capability as this seems to be where phones generally struggle. Although, would a 1" sensor compared to a normal phone senor be big enough to make a noticeable difference?

I wonder if it would have been better to take advantage of the larger 1" sensor and make it 10MP for better low light capability as this seems to be where phones generally struggle. Although, would a 1" sensor compared to a normal phone senor be big enough to make a noticeable difference?

yep 1" sensor is a fair bit better than current phone cameras.
I am guessing its the 20mp sony sensor that basically resides in pretty much every 1" camera out there. The Nikon 1 had a non-Sony sensor but they were the only one and they are discontinues now, so its all same 20mp sony sensor whether you like it or not :p

having said it's generally a misconception that lower MP automatically results in better low light capability.

Last edited:
Out for a walk with the dog tonight. The 100-400 showing its versatility. Missed a shot of a lifetime as a Roe Deer bounced through the rape field but by the time I changed shutter speed it was gone. If there is light tomorrow I might go for another look
A7R00770 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R00790 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R00811 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’ll wait for the A2 so they can sort the LCD screen out ;)

LCD touchscreen actually kinda works now lol

still the user interface is really bad and appalling for £6.5K camera. even my £650 LX100ii had better touch interface :(

Doesn’t do anything I need that my A7C or A7R2 doesn't do (except maybe battery life in the case of the 7R). :p

Last edited:
LCD touchscreen actually kinda works now lol

still the user interface is really bad and appalling for £6.5K camera. even my £650 LX100ii had better touch interface :(
It has 10 year old resolution though :oops: :$

All this talk of A1's and A9's and 35mm f1.4/50mm f1.2 lenses!

I'm ashamed to say that although I don't need anything new I want. So, I gave into gas.

I've ordered 2 x lens hoods (49 and 58mm,) 1 x 52mm pinch lens cap and one 62-67mm stepping ring.
Total = £14.11.

My gas is now abated. For a while :D

PS.
I can't believe I don't have a 49mm lens hood as this must be the most common lens size I have. I was sure I had one but I can't find one so I've ordered one. I expect I'll find one later today :D

Last edited:
All this talk of A1's and A9's and 35mm f1.4/50mm f1.2 lenses!

I'm ashamed to say that although I don't need anything new I want. So, I gave into gas.

I've ordered 2 x lens hoods (49 and 58mm,) 1 x 52mm pinch lens cap and one 62-67mm stepping ring.
Total = £14.11.

My gas is now abated. For a while :D

PS.
I can't believe I don't have a 49mm lens hood as this must be the most common lens size I have. I was sure I had one but I can't find one so I've ordered one. I expect I'll find one later today :D

Try harder please :p

Try harder please :p

I have looked at a lot of stuff and as you'll remember I was thinking about buying me something for my birthday but the truth is that I have more than I need for the pictures I want to take. I'll be off out soon and I'll be taking my A7 and two lenses, a 35mm f2.8 Rokkor MC and my Vivitar 19mm. An A1/A9 wont help :D

Back when I worked in computers I worked like a dog and the money just piled up and one day I decided to buy myself a present a month but how long can you carry on like that before running out of cameras, lenses, hifi, watches, suits and even cars to buy? Same now, I have just about everything I need. Mrs WW doesn't want anything either. And before someone mentions charities and distribution of wealth, I do that too.

I have looked at a lot of stuff and as you'll remember I was thinking about buying me something for my birthday but the truth is that I have more than I need for the pictures I want to take. I'll be off out soon and I'll be taking my A7 and two lenses, a 35mm f2.8 Rokkor MC and my Vivitar 19mm. An A1/A9 wont help :D

Back when I worked in computers I worked like a dog and the money just piled up and one day I decided to buy myself a present a month but how long can you carry on like that before running out of cameras, lenses, hifi, watches, suits and even cars to buy? Same now, I have just about everything I need. Mrs WW doesn't want anything either. And before someone mentions charities and distribution of wealth, I do that too.
If you are finding it that hard to spend your cash, I'll happy take the excess of your hands :D
Should I PM you my bank details? ;)

Yeah looks to be a really nice price for a mint copy.
Not really of much use to be but it's a nice little lens.

As I've said before... the Sony 28mm f2 is a nice lens and I'm happy enough with mine but it might not be a top of the line lens like we've seen at other focal lengths. For some reason Sony and Voigtlander (and possibly others) have released some astounding top end lenses from 16 to 135mm and beyond but they seem to have bypassed 28mm, unless I've missed one... and there do seem to be a few people on line shouting that they'd like a top end 28mm.

Fred Miranda has a review of the Voigtlander 35mm f2 APO. This is a Sony mount lens so you don't need an adapter and there's coms you get exif.

He's the "Final Thoughts."

This lens would have interested me but I have the 50mm f2 APO which I do think is a very good lens, plus I have the 35mm f1.4 which is wild at f1.4 or so but IMO good when stopped down except in the extreme corners and the 40mm f1.2 which IMO is a good lens except for the extreme corners and ca at f1.x. I can't really see adding this 35mm f2 as something I want to do...

If anyone can live with MF and fancies a very very good lens that'll very possibly last many decades these Voigtlander APO lenses are worth a look.

Anyway. Wot e sez...

"The highly anticipated Voigtlander 35mm f/2 APO-Lanthar borrows the goods from its successful 50mm APO sibling and scores another win for Sony E-mount and Leica shooters.

After putting this 35mm apochromatic lens under great scrutiny, I can only say that it delivers outstanding resolution, contrast, flare resistance and coma control. At infinity and wide open, it is already excellent across the entire image field and basically achieves perfection one stop down at f/2.8. It matches and in some cases even exceeds the resolution from our best lenses like the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar and Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM, making it a perfect wide companion to Sony's A7R IV 61MP sensor.

From the many samples posted by FM members and myself, you may noticed that the Voigtlander 35mm f/2 APO's draw is more structured (some would say harsher) compared to the CV 50 APO's but in exchange it offers completely round specular highlights at f/2, f/2.8, f/5.6 and f/16. At minimal focus distance, it's impeccable from wide open, thanks to the floating element (FLE) system

The lack of color aberration, high resolution/contrast and wide angle of view, makes it a solid option as a walk-around lens. If you are a Sony shooter and enjoy shooting with MF lenses, I highly recommend this lens, especially for those shooting landscapes, architecture and street photography."

Last edited:
Back