The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I wish Sony and Olympus would get together as Olympus have some great features. It would also be nice to have separate raw files that have the in camera adjustments on them too.

Would seem unlikely.

Have 2 camera manufacturers ever collaborated like that? Panasonic and Leica I guess a little I guess but that was more to do with Leica needing help moving to digital, you wouldn't expect Nikon and Canon to get together.

I had the E-M1 between Canon and moving completely to Sony.
Loved watching the long exposure image appear gradually on the LCD.
Also, being able to shoot for 1 minute before moving to BULB rather than 30 seconds was a BIG plus!!
I gave my son my backup E-M10 and kit lens as he wanted a decent camera for when his first child was born.
Logan will be 5 in October and I don't think the camera has seen daylight in all that time.
Haven't the heart to ask it back even though I doubt if I'd use it now

Would seem unlikely.

Have 2 camera manufacturers ever collaborated like that? Panasonic and Leica I guess a little I guess but that was more to do with Leica needing help moving to digital, you wouldn't expect Nikon and Canon to get together.

Could Nikon using Sony sensors be seen as a remote form of collaboration?

Could Nikon using Sony sensors be seen as a remote form of collaboration?

I think it's more a reflection of commercial realities, and pretty sure if it was financially and technically viable then Nikon would make their own.

Japanese companies don't play by the same "rules" as we see in the west.
While they are all competitors they also closely work with each other.
they also to best of their capability don't let each other die. For example when sony bought part of olympus or minolta etc.

And everyone (at least in Japan) buys sensors from Sony :p
Even canon for their 1" sensor cameras

I'm playing with Nik filters, just for fun.

This was taken with my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 at f1.2 and has had Glamor Glow applied to everything except Mrs WW, Pro Contrast and some Grad applied.

lgiE85l.jpg

This was taken with my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 on a dead light day and has had Glamor Glow applied to everything except Mrs WW, Pro Contrast and a Grad applied to the top right hand corner as there was no colour in the sky at all.

c6fqMNE.jpg

I don't know if I'll keep either of these versions, I'll have to think about it.

Last edited:

This was taken with my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 at f1.2 and has had Glamor Glow applied to everything except Mrs WW and Pro Contrast.

pE4q4Ip.jpg

This was taken with my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 on a dead light day and has had Glamor Glow applied to everything except Mrs WW, Pro Contrast and a Grad applied to the top right hand corner as there was no colour in the sky at all.

c6fqMNE.jpg

I don't know if I'll keep either of these versions, I'll have to think about it.

I really like the colours, composition and DOF on the first one. F1.2 really is nice.

This was taken with my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 at f1.2 and has had Glamor Glow applied to everything except Mrs WW, Pro Contrast and some Grad applied.

lgiE85l.jpg

c6fqMNE.jpg

I like the top one best, but I'd be moving your subject out of that harsh light hitting her face.

Hi guys sorry to hijack discussion but I’m in the final throws of loading up my basket at Einfinty I was a long time Sony shooter R2 R3 with a sprinkling of Olympus and Panasonic still have the m4/3 as above the OLY has some features I just can’t live without for star trails etc. Anyway back on track after selling all my gear as Covid hit I splashed out a new high end PC to go with my Mac Pro but now covids gone and ive now got the funds to Sony myself again
I shoot mainly portrait and landscape with a sprinkling of vehicle sports. Current idea is A7R4a with 3 lens
My past lens were

24-70 GM big heavy and I snapped the barrel costing me 900 to fix, I fell over dohhhh
28mm F2
70-200 F4
15mm Voightlander

I don’t want to splash out really in GM glass as I feel it’s good but overpriced for now maybe later so I’ve been looking at tamron samyang etc. Thoughts this far are
28-200 Tamron will do me for sports and all stuff in the middle
Sony 35mm F1.8 prime for walkabout
Some 85mm possibly samyang but skeptical of quality control. I did read on that cheap as chips F1.8 85mm that can be upgraded to F1.6 can’t rem name at moment

question is would you get Tamron kit or settle for maybe Sony’s 24-105 or sigmas 24-70 I’m just thinking long end I’m limited for some sports I do where 200 works well, help me decide

my dads 90 and took photos for all his life he keeps saying sack off 35mm get 50mm views please times changed since he took them.
Thanks
Rob

@littleted sounds like a longer general purpose zoom would be more use to you than wider. @nandbytes loves his Tamrom 28-200, and it does get a very good review from a range of different users. The Sony 35/85 f1.8 should be a good combo. I have a Samyang 85 f1.4 and like the rendering, but it's heavy to carry & slower to focus than the Sony. The Samyang 35 f1.8 is reported to be excellent, though I've never tried it myself, but may offer you a useful saving over the Sony version.

Been out with the 200-600. I really really like the handling of the lens, the non-extending design is great. The AF seems very responsive too. The battery life of the a7iii was very good too.

Sharpness wise, I was not totally wowed. Pictures looked much sharper at the back of the camera that once downloaded into lightroom and it seems that I had to push a lot on the slider to make them sharp. I feel like my sigma 150-600 contemporary and my tamron 150-600 g1 were at least as sharp or more. But then I'm not used to the sony RAW files yet. So it's probably just me having to learn how to use them the best. I've not had much chance either to play around and find my ways with the steadyshot options on the lens.

On another note, my a7iii has already gathered a couple of dust spot after very little use. I'll try the rocket blower it might be not much at all.

So happy but I feel like I have a lot to learn!

Here's a few:

Pied wagtails

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00776 by Thomas, sur Flickr

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00794 by Thomas, sur Flickr

This guy I am not sure what it is, maybe a linnet?

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00807 by Thomas, sur Flickr

And these I believe are meadow pipit but I could be wrong:

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00840 by Thomas, sur Flickr

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00869 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Last edited:
Hi guys sorry to hijack discussion but I’m in the final throws of loading up my basket at Einfinty I was a long time Sony shooter R2 R3 with a sprinkling of Olympus and Panasonic still have the m4/3 as above the OLY has some features I just can’t live without for star trails etc. Anyway back on track after selling all my gear as Covid hit I splashed out a new high end PC to go with my Mac Pro but now covids gone and ive now got the funds to Sony myself again
I shoot mainly portrait and landscape with a sprinkling of vehicle sports. Current idea is A7R4a with 3 lens
My past lens were

24-70 GM big heavy and I snapped the barrel costing me 900 to fix, I fell over dohhhh
28mm F2
70-200 F4
15mm Voightlander

I don’t want to splash out really in GM glass as I feel it’s good but overpriced for now maybe later so I’ve been looking at tamron samyang etc. Thoughts this far are
Some 85mm possibly samyang but skeptical of quality control. I did read on that cheap as chips F1.8 85mm that can be upgraded to F1.6 can’t rem name at moment

question is would you get Tamron kit or settle for maybe Sony’s 24-105 or sigmas 24-70 I’m just thinking long end I’m limited for some sports I do where 200 works well, help me decide

my dads 90 and took photos for all his life he keeps saying sack off 35mm get 50mm views please times changed since he took them.
Thanks
Rob

I've just move to sony from pansonic MFT.
I've got myself a samyang 18mm f2.8, a samyang 35mm f2.8 and a samyang 75mm f1.8. Trying to stay cheap and small. They all seem to perform pretty well.
Only thing I would have change would be to go to the new sigma contemporary the 35mm f2 and 65mm f2, they look great but a bit more expensive and because they are very recent there is not really any good deal on them.

Went out to shoot Dragonflies while my daughter was trampolining. No joy as I only saw a couple and it was way too windy. As I had the 100-400 I took a shot from the trampoline centre of the Lady Victoria Pit with some nice light. Might be able to get a really tight crop when my 200-600mm arrives in the next few days.
The Lady Victoria Colliery by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

My past lens were

28mm F2
70-200 F4
15mm Voightlander

Thanks
Rob

28-200mm is an excellent lens but it starts to show its weakness on the 61mp sensor. if you are shooting landscapes at f8 and above you won't notice any real difference compared to the 24-105mm. On the other hand if you are shooting at f4, the 24-105mm will be sharper in corners than 28-200mm. But the 28-200mm is still plenty sharp (and comparable to 24-105mm) in centre and mid-frame, so you can safely crop a bit with the A7RIV from the centre region.

I think you are referring to the viltron 85mm f1.8. I'd personally rather go for a used FE85mm/1.8

If I were to advice on a setup with a 35/85 combo I'd suggest

UWA: laowa 15mm f2 or tamron 17-28mm f2.8
standard zoom: Sony 24-105mm f4 or Tamron 28-200mm
35mm prime (in order I'd pick): Sony 35mm f1.4 GM, Sony 24mm f1.4 and cropping (which gives 35mm f2 equivalent), Sigma 35mm f2 DN, Sony/Samyang 35mm f1.8, Sony/Samyang 35mm f2.8
85mm prime (in order I'd pick): Sigma 85mm f1.4 DN, Sony 85mm f1.4 GM, Samyang 85mm f1.4 AF (rending) or Sony 85mm f1.8 (if you want good AF over rendering)

Last edited:
I've just move to sony from pansonic MFT.
I've got myself a samyang 18mm f2.8, a samyang 35mm f2.8 and a samyang 75mm f1.8. Trying to stay cheap and small. They all seem to perform pretty well.
Only thing I would have change would be to go to the new sigma contemporary the 35mm f2 and 65mm f2, they look great but a bit more expensive and because they are very recent there is not really any good deal on them.
I’ve got that Sigma 35mm f2 and think it’s the bees bo##ocks. Light, compact, great IQ and of course an aperture ring. Got it used from MPB for a good price.

Been out with the 200-600. I really really like the handling of the lens, the non-extending design is great. The AF seems very responsive too. The battery life of the a7iii was very good too.

Sharpness wise, I was not totally wowed. Pictures looked much sharper at the back of the camera that once downloaded into lightroom and it seems that I had to push a lot on the slider to make them sharp. I feel like my sigma 150-600 contemporary and my tamron 150-600 g1 were at least as sharp or more. But then I'm not used to the sony RAW files yet. So it's probably just me having to learn how to use them the best. I've not had much chance either to play around and find my ways with the steadyshot options on the lens.

On another note, my a7iii has already gathered a couple of dust spot after very little use. I'll try the rocket blower it might be not much at all.

So happy but I feel like I have a lot to learn!

Here's a few:

Pied wagtails

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00776 by Thomas, sur Flickr

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00794 by Thomas, sur Flickr

This guy I am not sure what it is, maybe a linnet?

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00807 by Thomas, sur Flickr

And these I believe are meadow pipit but I could be wrong:

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00840 by Thomas, sur Flickr

20210606-Cottascarth-DSC00869 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Get yourself some Visible dust and Swabs, if there was a single most hated problem for me with the Sony FF is was dust on sensor, like a Dyson Vac. my normal process before a shoot was Rocket blower then a quick swab with visible dust Blue and I was good. the Red bottle is more for Smears, like me who tried to blow off the dust just after eating a BLT, it got the bacon grease off :)

Would seem unlikely.

It was a pipe dream wish, not one that I ever thought would happen (y)
Just when I'd made my mind up to buy the Tamron 70-180mm :rolleyes: :LOL:

I’ve got that Sigma 35mm f2 and think it’s the bees bo##ocks. Light, compact, great IQ and of course an aperture ring. Got it used from MPB for a good price.
£499 on Einfinity, so 50 quid cheaper than Wex,

Guys thanks for replies, most appreciated. I,ll suck up YouTube today but at present the thought is

28-200
Sigma/Samyang/sony 35
Samyang 85, but I may push and get the Sony 1.8

long term 100-400 later this year, then slowly but surely get Sigma art or GM glass.

When people say that lens weaknesses begin to show when using high mp count cameras I assume these weaknesses are only visible at high magnification? I know one of the advantages of high mp counts is cropability but I do think it's worthwhile keeping the output size and viewing in mind and trying to quantify how often any weaknesses will be visible and significant and weighing this against to any savings in bulk, weight and cost.

I like the top one best, but I'd be moving your subject out of that harsh light hitting her face.

I see your point but moving to an area with less harsh light on her face would mean less light on the rest of her and it wouldn't be the same picture. For example look at her legs with areas clearly in less light or shadow. I do know that areas of her face are effectively blown but when looking at scenes like this by eye highlights like this can occur and as these are such small areas I don't see it as too much of a problem especially as the point was to highlight her in light as well as DoF. Considering this isn't going on a wall in a gallery small blown areas are for me a price worth paying.

Guys thanks for replies, most appreciated. I,ll suck up YouTube today but at present the thought is

28-200
Sigma/Samyang/sony 35
Samyang 85, but I may push and get the Sony 1.8

long term 100-400 later this year, then slowly but surely get Sigma art or GM glass.

Sigma 35/2 or Sony 35/1.8
Sony 85/1.8

imo it's worth a little more cash stretch to get something that little bit better performing/quality control/etc

:)

Kiss

Not that I'm being nosey or anything. :D

Kiss
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I've just had a Sony a5000 astro-modded full spectrum for astrophotogaphy but I'd also like to do some IR stuff. I know that I'll need a filter to exclude red light but I can't work out what type to look for. I'd prefer a clip-in type filter. Be grateful for any advice.

I hope you took that with a long lens. It's the sort of thing that could lead to you getting chased down the street here and I don't mean for a kiss :D

Well, only my 56mm but from about 20 feet or so away I think.

Back