The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I feel left out of all this excitement.

My/our recent deliveries...

A teen tiny set of electronic scales, a set of plastic dough cutters and a tyre inflator.

I am getting a new lens to body converter though :D

I got a new kettle yesterday, same day delivery from Argos.

We need one as the light on ours has faded and the lid keeps popping up. It was only a cheap one from ASDA and it has lasted a long time.

So, there might yet be some excitement here :D

I feel left out of all this excitement.

My/our recent deliveries...

A teen tiny set of electronic scales, a set of plastic dough cutters and a tyre inflator.

I am getting a new lens to body converter though :D

My wife went nuts online (as usual) and ordered half of Ikea so that we (I love the use of the word "we") can redecorate her room now that she's getting older.

So this leaves me with about three very long days of Ikea furniture building, but not before I make use of the expanding foam, sandpaper and skimming plaster first. That is once I learn how to skim a wall.

Feeling better? lol

I got some knobs.

uQEPx6j.jpg

For anyone who's never used that expanding foam... it can take you by surprise so maybe be careful. Also the one I used for outside use hardened to something beyond chromed steel PDQ so wipe up any excess before it dries :D

For anyone who's never used that expanding foam... it can take you by surprise so maybe be careful. Also the one I used for outside use hardened to something beyond chromed steel PDQ so wipe up any excess before it dries :D

And use gloves, or you'll never get it off your hands.

I'm awaiting my first proper photo paper delivery to see if this printer can chuck out good enough stuff for the camera club's print league next year.

I don't really need / want anything so I just bought a Barbie aeroplane for my Niece as it's her birthday end of August i like to be in front of things .

Rob.

Yeah, I watched it expand and fill the holes nicely staying just under level of the surface for me to finish off with plaster (someone in the distant past used wallpaper, then skimmed over the wallpaper, then wallpapered again grrrrr) and I thought, yeah good job. This morning the wall like a some sort of horror movie.

I hope you don't live in a hard water area.

I bought an expensive kettle once, it lasts the shortest amount of time.

Nice and soft thankfully, much like most of Scotland. We are actually quite fortunate to have rather nice drinking water where we live which I don't take for granted after experiencing our friend's water in Sunderland, it's horrific, even when filtered to death.

And use gloves, or you'll never get it off your hands.

I'm awaiting my first proper photo paper delivery to see if this printer can chuck out good enough stuff for the camera club's print league next year.

Aye, the gloves came in the lid and bloody glad I used them as that stuff was sticky!

24-105mm is nice and sharp across the frame. Does add more bulk over the 24-70mm than I was expecting but the weight difference doesn't seem as bad as I thought. Now just a question whether I keep the 24-70mm for the times I want to travel light.

24-105mm is nice and sharp across the frame. Does add more bulk over the 24-70mm than I was expecting but the weight difference doesn't seem as bad as I thought. Now just a question whether I keep the 24-70mm for the times I want to travel light.
now sell both and buy tamron 28-200mm

I like my 24-105 - it is my wife lens, only comes out when i have the camera when she is around, so days out or holidays. If a photo takes longer than a couple of secs, then that is too long for her..

I sold my 24-70mm f4 after getting the 24-105mm. I figure it's money to put towards something else like 20mm f1.8 G or 100-400mm. Was a difficult decision as I don't think the 24-70 f4 is as bad as often made out, it's solidly built, and knew it wouldn't sell for what I thought it was worth. It's only pixel peeping that reveals its shortcomings.

A few older CZ80-200/4 images whilst I edit a day out from last week & finalise the Stonehenge Milky Way image :cool:

*** by Lee, on Flickr

*** by Lee, on Flickr

*** by Lee, on Flickr
lovely shots with a very nice warm ambiance.

Looking forward to your stonehenge milky way.
I am thinking of going in July around the next new moon. not sure if a tracker will be required for a decent shot....

lovely shots with a very nice warm ambiance.

Looking forward to your stonehenge milky way.
I am thinking of going in July around the next new moon. not sure if a tracker will be required for a decent shot....

Thanks - I wanted some cloud for that sunrise but..... It was still nice.

A tracker isn't essential at all. I've roughly worked it out from average settings & the tracker is only gaining me around half a stop of captured light. Obviously I am getting a cleaner image though with it than without. Not that my pre-tracker images were excessively noisy anyway ......

We're certainly going back though.

Thanks - I wanted some cloud for that sunrise but..... It was still nice.

A tracker isn't essential at all. I've roughly worked it out from average settings & the tracker is only gaining me around half a stop of captured light. Obviously I am getting a cleaner image though with it than without. Not that my pre-tracker images were excessively noisy anyway ......

We're certainly going back though.

I am not unhappy with the noise in my untracked images. But I am wanting to get more details in the Milky Way and I understand he best way to achieve that is through a longer exposure? (especially with a light polluted sky)

I am not unhappy with the noise in my untracked images. But I am wanting to get more details in the Milky Way and I understand he best way to achieve that is through a longer exposure? (especially with a light polluted sky)

In theory yes. In reality, a longer exposure can also increase the light pollution so you can lose some stars too. Bit of a balancing act really. A tracker will give you better images though, no doubt. More work to edit though.....

I have no doubt Canon will want to make a whole set of 1.2 primes, problem is that their prices are eye watering!

The old EF 24/1.4 was £1500 already when it came out and that was like a decade ago.

I have no doubt Canon will want to make a whole set of 1.2 primes, problem is that their prices are eye watering!

The old EF 24/1.4 was £1500 already when it came out and that was like a decade ago.
I've always fancied trying Canon but their prices have put me off.

An A7C ii already? Blimey, wasn't the original only released last September or something? At that rate it makes the A7C feel like a Beta version.

Please Please - just give me a better EVF and Im all in...

Please Please - just give me a better EVF and Im all in...

Maybe they're adding a front control dial for woof woof (y)

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've never tried one but I think I could probably live with just about any EVF it has. What stops me are the lack of a second top/front dial and having to use the back wheel, the 1/4,000 max mechanical shutter speed coming with no auto shift to electronic for shooting with wide apertures in good light. The constant EFCS may annoy some too.

Looking at the A6xxx I have no confidence that Sony will add another top/front dial as they just don't seem to think it's necessary. I do and I can't see myself ever buying a camera that makes me use my thumb on that back wheel to change aperture or shutter.

If Sony made a Panasonic GX9 like camera with a FF sensor, that'd suit me :D

Last edited:
An A7C ii already? Blimey, wasn't the original only released last September or something? At that rate it makes the A7C feel like a Beta version.
Acc to that rumour it will be 2 years from Mk.1 release. And isn’t every iteration a beta for the next?

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've never tried one but I think I could probably live with just about any EVF it has. What stops me are the lack of a second top/front dial and having to use the back wheel, the 1/4,000 max mechanical shutter speed coming with no auto shift to electronic for shooting with wide apertures in good light. The constant EFCS may annoy some too.

Looking at the A6xxx I have no confidence that Sony will add another top/front dial as they just don't seem to think it's necessary. I do and I can't see myself ever buying a camera that makes me use my thumb on that back wheel to change aperture or shutter.

If Sony made a Panasonic GX9 like camera with a FF sensor, that'd suit me :D
As we’ve said before, it’s important to you. It doesn’t bother me. Each to their own. ;):D

What exactly is it about the A7C viewfinder that makes it so bad for some and is using the rear LCD so bad instead?

Back