The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not really had this issue before but the A9 was set on real and I tracked the horse as he came around the school but as he went over the jump the focus looks to have suddenly switched to the pole.

Is this the camera just being too good to focus fast? I had the tracking on 3. Would going up to 2 help stop this or should I be looking at some other settings?

First time I have had this issue so must have done something different!!

73553-B20-F991-427-D-89-CB-F052-F9876225.jpg

Level 2 would most likely help.

I use 1 (Locked On) on almost exclusively because of what I shoot and I know what I want to track and I don't want it to lose it. I also use BBF so it's quick and easy to reassign a new tracking subject. If I were shooting sports where the desired subject may change quickly then I would probably use 5.

Not really had this issue before but the A9 was set on real and I tracked the horse as he came around the school but as he went over the jump the focus looks to have suddenly switched to the pole.

Is this the camera just being too good to focus fast? I had the tracking on 3. Would going up to 2 help stop this or should I be looking at some other settings?

First time I have had this issue so must have done something different!!

73553-B20-F991-427-D-89-CB-F052-F9876225.jpg
In situations like this you need the tracking as "sticky" as possible to stop it from picking up something that crosses the subject's path. I believe this is 1 on the sensitivity.

Some old bits of rock at Stonehenge.......

A7 with the 20G

by Lee, on Flickr

Wish I took something tighter (well, I did plan to!) but by that stage of the night Keiran had my 35GM on his A6000 so...... :rolleyes: I let him carry on with it.
Magnificat!

Level 2 would most likely help.

I use 1 (Locked On) on almost exclusively because of what I shoot and I know what I want to track and I don't want it to lose it. I also use BBF so it's quick and easy to reassign a new tracking subject. If I were shooting sports where the desired subject may change quickly then I would probably use 5.

In situations like this you need the tracking as "sticky" as possible to stop it from picking up something that crosses the subject's path. I believe this is 1 on the sensitivity.

will give 1 and 2 a try next time! Thanks.

Godox AD100 unfortunately not in it, tempted by the Mavic Mini though for £330 or even the DJI Ronin-S for £200...that is very good value?!

But both would be wasted on me i think.

Some old bits of rock at Stonehenge.......

A7 with the 20G

by Lee, on Flickr

Wish I took something tighter (well, I did plan to!) but by that stage of the night Keiran had my 35GM on his A6000 so...... :rolleyes: I let him carry on with it.

Nothing wrong with a wide shot Lee- I love this one

Les :)

The Sandisk Extreme Pro cards all seem to be around half price on Amazon UK

Some Manfrotto deals as well - I might look at these as I need a travel tripod, my existing 190 Pro is a great tripod, but it isn't exactly light and doesn't come out as much as it should because of that..

Last edited:
Godox AD100 unfortunately not in it, tempted by the Mavic Mini though for £330 or even the DJI Ronin-S for £200...that is very good value?!

But both would be wasted on me i think.

I looked at the Mavic Mini as well but same as you would be wasted on me.

Bought a ton of ink, some Godox stuff, a fire cube and and some car cleaning stuff nothing too exciting. Was going to get another Adobe annual sub but after checking I am already good for a couple of years so didn’t bother.

I looked at the Mavic Mini as well but same as you would be wasted on me.

Bought a ton of ink, some Godox stuff, a fire cube and and some car cleaning stuff nothing too exciting.

I want to go up to Scotland this year so perhaps it would be useful using it for some aerial shots but if i were doing that, it's probably best getting a used one with better camera for stills. Then again, £330 for something i will probably use once. Money better spent on another trip.

I want to go up to Scotland this year so perhaps it would be useful using it for some aerial shots but if i were doing that, it's probably best getting a used one with better camera for stills. Then again, £330 for something i will probably use once. Money better spent on another trip.

I have a cheap Chinese drone someone bought me as a present one time it actually works quite well for video but I have only used it twice.

I was hoping there would be a few more offers on higher end hard drives but maybe more will be added later on.

Had my first wedding shoot with the A7iii at the weekend, as a favour to one of my wife's best friends. Also had the delight of renting the Sony 70-200 2.8 GM - what a lush lens, really enjoyed using it. The day shots seem good but really struggling with low light indoor and off camera flash, so going to push myself more on these aspects at home. Got a feel for the camera is a slightly more high pressure situation and loved the experience, definitely still some tinkering to be done with my custom button layout.

That's a very nice line up Tommy and if I can get over my BIGer kit phobia I may join you with the 35mm f1.4 and even the 50mm f1.2. One Day :D

The 35GM is superb, the 50GM I won’t know until I have had time to get it out in the field properly, I have a wedding on Saturday so will see how it fairs. Am very impressed with the few shots I just grabbed around the house a.f is very fast considering all that glass it is moving around.

As well as these I still have:

Sony 35 f/1.8
Sony 55 f/1.8
Sony 90 f/2.8

Tamron 17-28 f/2.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Sony 200-600

Can’t think of anything else I would ever need although there has been some talk the 85GM might get a refresh at some point and I would probably have a nosey at that when it happens.
Should probably sell the spare 35 and 55 really but for all they are worth used and they might come in handy for times when I want some lighter weight stuff when I am just shooting some stuff for myself I will probably keep them.

Just away in Wales at the mo and wanted to use my big stopper but couldn’t get the camera shutter to go into bulb. Now back at the cottage and after having a play about I’ve found it won’t go into bulb when using electronic shutter, only when using mechanical shutter. Why is this?

Just away in Wales at the mo and wanted to use my big stopper but couldn’t get the camera shutter to go into bulb. Now back at the cottage and after having a play about I’ve found it won’t go into bulb when using electronic shutter, only when using mechanical shutter. Why is this?
that's the same on A1 too. might be same on other bodies also.

not sure why tbh, I keep meaning to ask a sony rep. I will get back to you if I have a proper answer.

Same on Fuji's 1sec limitation on expsoure time.

Thought that was the same on all mirrorless bodies.

The 35GM is superb, the 50GM I won’t know until I have had time to get it out in the field properly, I have a wedding on Saturday so will see how it fairs. Am very impressed with the few shots I just grabbed around the house a.f is very fast considering all that glass it is moving around.

As well as these I still have:

Sony 35 f/1.8
Sony 55 f/1.8
Sony 90 f/2.8

Tamron 17-28 f/2.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Sony 200-600

Can’t think of anything else I would ever need although there has been some talk the 85GM might get a refresh at some point and I would probably have a nosey at that when it happens.
Should probably sell the spare 35 and 55 really but for all they are worth used and they might come in handy for times when I want some lighter weight stuff when I am just shooting some stuff for myself I will probably keep them.

I don't really need anything, it's just that I think that the 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's could all be better with just off the top of my head better bokeh and less CA. They're certainly sharp enough though.

I'm still thinking what to do. I get very little free time so why spend thousands on kit I hardly use? But then again when I do get the time to use it why not have good kit? Plus who are me and Mrs WW going to leave our money too? Might as well spend it :D The thing that really stops me buying the new 35/50mm lenses is the added bulk as I prefer compact kit and the Sony f1.8's are about as big a lens as I'm happy with, so I'd have to get over that.

I don't think I posted this picture, but I've decided I like it.

Sony A7 and the questionable if you're a pixel peeping nit picker Sony 35mm f1.8.

x9b33k0.jpg

I like these 2 2.

mKspgmJ.jpg

15F5bFz.jpg

It was a nice day out but just as we were walking back to the car my sister rang in a rage and spoilt the day. Mam had had a fall and sis had thrown a fit and gone home because she was "hungry." Dunno when we'll get another day out. The last time we went anywhere further than 20 minutes drive was April 2020. And we got called back that day too by the same sister.

Last edited:
Possibly so, don’t think I’ve used bulb on mirrorless before. But I still can’t work out why?
Yeah I did Google this a while back.
I saw people from most brands were complaining about this. So may be it is standard but I can't figure out the technical limitation behind this.

You need to be in single shot too from what I remember

Back