The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What exactly is it about the A7C viewfinder that makes it so bad for some and is using the rear LCD so bad instead?
It's not so bad, but a bit small. It's very clear, though. I hate using the rear LCD on any camera. Cannot see the detail, whereas you can with an EVF.

What exactly is it about the A7C viewfinder that makes it so bad for some and is using the rear LCD so bad instead?
I can't comment on that but I've found all the Sony EVF's I've used disappointing compared to others due to the rainbow artefacts and graininess when using half press of the shutter. Not a deal breaker for me though obviously.

As we’ve said before, it’s important to you. It doesn’t bother me. Each to their own. ;):D

Complaints about the A6xxx have gone on for years. You could say it doesn't matter as they still sell but how many more would they sell if they listened more to customers?

No, I don't matter to Sony which is why I feel zero allegiance to them. I'll never buy an A6xxx or the current A7c and if they do the same to the A7 I'll buy a Nikon.

It's not so bad, but a bit small. It's very clear, though. I hate using the rear LCD on any camera. Cannot see the detail, whereas you can with an EVF.

I think the A7C EVF is the same as on my a6600. It's probably because I've not tried anything better and you get used to what you have, but I find the EVF on my a6600 is great and I've only got it on standard setting which I believe is 60fps. When I first got it I noticed it seemed a bit small but doesn't even occur to me anymore. Certainly haven't felt restricted in any way.

Last edited:
All 6 x 24-105mm sold, didn't even get the chance to put them on eBay 2 x sold to other photographers I know and the rest sold via Facebook marketplace. :banana:

Waiting for Prime day to spend my winnings, :cool:

Last edited:
Linked from the rumor site... A Sony 14mm f1.8 review...

From the conclusion...

"The Sony 14mm F1.8 GM (1600 euros) is a new masterpiece from Sony and a new demonstration you can achieve outstanding results in a very small from factors. All the recent GM are a demonstration of this level of excellence (Sony 35mm F1.4 GM, Sony 50mm F1.2 GM, Sony 24mm F1.4 GM...)

Image quality is excellent : excellent to outstanding sharpness wide open , corners are also very good to excellent, color rendition and contrast are excellent, distorsion is minimal, coma is minimal. background blur is quite soft for a wide angle lens. AF is fast , silent and efficient, Ergonomics are excellent (small, light, click or click-less aperture ring) and the price stay reasonable for a GM lens compared to the Sony 12-24 F2.8 GM (3300 Euros!)"

Last edited:
Linked from the rumor site... A Sony 14mm f1.8 review...

From the conclusion...

"The Sony 14mm F1.8 GM (1600 euros) is a new masterpiece from Sony and a new demonstration you can achieve outstanding results in a very small from factors. All the recent GM are a demonstration of this level of excellence (Sony 35mm F1.4 GM, Sony 50mm F1.2 GM, Sony 24mm F1.4 GM...)

Image quality is excellent : excellent to outstanding sharpness wide open , corners are also very good to excellent, color rendition and contrast are excellent, distorsion is minimal, coma is minimal. background blur is quite soft for a wide angle lens. AF is fast , silent and efficient, Ergonomics are excellent (small, light, click or click-less aperture ring) and the price stay reasonable for a GM lens compared to the Sony 12-24 F2.8 GM (3300 Euros!)"

Only if they could make one without dust :p

A local signwriter and artist sought and received permission to make this wall good and decorate it, at his expenses. He asked the young folk of Settle what words they think would describe Settle and its surrounding countryside. This is the result. Photobombed by Mistletoe, as usual.

Settle Graffiti by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Some old bits of rock at Stonehenge.......

A7 with the 20G

by Lee, on Flickr

Wish I took something tighter (well, I did plan to!) but by that stage of the night Keiran had my 35GM on his A6000 so...... :rolleyes: I let him carry on with it.

that's a beauty and I'm certainly a little jealous :D
My trip in July is still on the cards if you are interested in joining (of course assuming the UK weather doesn't supply us with clouds)

Last edited:
that's a beauty and I'm certainly a little jealous :D
My trip in July is still on the cards if you are interested in joining (of course assuming the UK weather doesn't supply us with clouds)

That's an awesome shot....love it.

Thank you both. Certainly a great experience!

I think we are going to be grabbing every opportunity that comes along so yes, July is on. I've even got the week off leading up to the new moon!!

Thank you both. Certainly a great experience!

I think we are going to be grabbing every opportunity that comes along so yes, July is on. I've even got the week off leading up to the new moon!!
July new moon in on a Saturday which is helpful. Even if new moon day itself doesn't work out taking days off on either side of the weekend is nicer to have a nice long weekend.

A7 with the 20G

by Lee, on Flickr

Wish I took something tighter (well, I did plan to!) but by that stage of the night Keiran had my 35GM on his A6000 so...... :rolleyes: I let him carry on with it.
Superb

Not really had this issue before but the A9 was set on real and I tracked the horse as he came around the school but as he went over the jump the focus looks to have suddenly switched to the pole.

Is this the camera just being too good to focus fast? I had the tracking on 3. Would going up to 2 help stop this or should I be looking at some other settings?

First time I have had this issue so must have done something different!!

73553-B20-F991-427-D-89-CB-F052-F9876225.jpg

A7 with the 20G

by Lee, on Flickr

Incredible photo Lee. (y) Shame those old rocks were blocking the view :LOL:

Lovely tight crops. I hope to visit soon so any tips of best time of day and where is best to head would be welcome. Also are these big crops as I really like the tight shots

theres plenty of viewing platforms all along the cliffs,as you head to the cliffs turn right , i think its the second platform gives really close up opportunities of the gannets. puffins were harder to come by when i was there , the sun is on the cliffs up untill bout 1pm then it starts going behind them . theres thousands of Gannets so plenty of opportunities

Back