The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Attachments

• 312533032_5962873267076218_1753785134853419380_n.jpg
    312533032_5962873267076218_1753785134853419380_n.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 12
A first for me yesterday with a paid gig at top flight football in Scotland. I've done a few matches but never had a fee agreed for a top league game. This image was a red card via a VAR call and they were actually talking about the shot on the radio, BBC Sportsound, as it was on the BBC news page. Definitely a case of an image lying as it looks a terrible challenge but imo it was never a sending off

Over the years I have seen some leg breakers like that, glad the player was not really hurt.

As it's quiet.

On a better day than today.

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8.

jM1LBNI.jpg

I've just tried a demo of Topaz Sharpen AI and there's some crazy wizardry going on there, fixes motion blur much better than Photoshop's shake reduction tool.

I've just tried a demo of Topaz Sharpen AI and there's some crazy wizardry going on there, fixes motion blur much better than Photoshop's shake reduction tool.
its been doing that for a long time ;)
the AI models have goten better over time but its quite good. I wouldn't use it to sharpen soft images though, kinda adds sharpening artefacts and it doesn't look good.
Its great of fixing motion blur (within reasonable limitation)

its been doing that for a long time ;)
the AI models have goten better over time but its quite good. I wouldn't use it to sharpen soft images though, kinda adds sharpening artefacts and it doesn't look good.
Its great of fixing motion blur (within reasonable limitation)
I'm not sure how will this will come across but it's done a pretty good job imo. I've not found anything that fixes OOF images, they always look terrible to my eyes.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.09.30 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I'm not sure how will this will come across but it's done a pretty good job imo. I've not found anything that fixes OOF images, they always look terrible to my eyes.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.09.30 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
seems to have done a good job (y)
It very very rarely works for OoF images. if its something really obvious like a flower it works but otherwise it isn't great imo.

In the market for a light 50mm or similar lens preferably f/1.8. I know there is the Sony version but are there any others that are worth considering? It's primarily going to be used for low light photography - ie wedding dance flour / shooting at night and needs to be light as a relief to my 24-70mm

In the market for a light 50mm or similar lens preferably f/1.8. I know there is the Sony version but are there any others that are worth considering? It's primarily going to be used for low light photography - ie wedding dance flour / shooting at night and needs to be light as a relief to my 24-70mm
The Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II is an excellent lens, it's just a question of whether you'd trust it for professional work. The obvious choice in terms of small light lenses is the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8. If you want the best of the best it's the Sony 50mm GM but that' not light, and it's expensive.

The Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II is an excellent lens, it's just a question of whether you'd trust it for professional work. The obvious choice in terms of small light lenses is the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8. If you want the best of the best it's the Sony 50mm GM but that' not light, and it's expensive.

Basically what he said.

If I have a 'job' where I need reliability but not artistry then I use my 55 f1.8. If I need artistry then I use the Samyang MK1 50 f1.4. Sadly I can't justify the GM. :p

Basically what he said.

If I have a 'job' where I need reliability but not artistry then I use my 55 f1.8. If I need artistry then I use the Samyang MK1 50 f1.4. Sadly I can't justify the GM. :p

I totally loved my Sammy 50mm II and it was quick as hell to focus even with people moving about.

DAVE by Rohan, on Flickr

I’m not so keen on the flaring with the 55mm although it’s got great sharpness and performance otherwise. The newish 40mm or 50mm f/2.5 does seem interesting albeit not as fast. The Samyang is definitely a contender too, thanks for the suggestions @snerkler and input from everybody else

I’m not so keen on the flaring with the 55mm although it’s got great sharpness and performance otherwise. The newish 40mm or 50mm f/2.5 does seem interesting albeit not as fast. The Samyang is definitely a contender too, thanks for the suggestions @snerkler and input from everybody else

I think the flaring is limited to specific situations and to be fare this also applies to some degree to much bigger and more expensive lenses. I don't know if f2.5 will be wide enough for you but a look at your existing pictures and their exif could help there. I assume you've been using f2.8 zooms so if the ISO / noise performance is acceptable a small f2.5 prime could be an option for you.

Good luck choosing.

I know you said the 50mm, but don't rule out the Sammy 45mm as that lens is a cracker and renders beautifully.

I have got accreditation for the Scotland Rugby Match on Saturday so have bought what I think will be my last lens that I need. Disclaimer I may buy more I want. It is a Laowa 12mm Zero-D and I will use it for stadium shots primarily. I bought the Nikon mount as I want to get the shift adapter at a later stage. So the question is does anyone have a recommendation for a dumb adapter or better still one for sale. I called FFordes about a metabones one but by the time they got back to me it had sold.

Last edited:
I have got accreditation for teh Scotland Rugby Match on Saturday so have bought what I think will be my last lens that I need. Disclaimer I may buy more I want. It is a Laowa 12mm Zero-D and I will use it for stadium shots primarily. I bought the Nikon mount as I want to get the shift adapter at a later stage. So the question is does anyone have a recommendation for a dumb adapter or better still one for sale. I called FFordes about a metabones one but by the time they got back to me it had sold.
I have got one.... if you are inetrested I will advertise it

in fact I have used it with the A1 I sold to you with the nikkor 60D macro

Last edited:
I have got one.... if you are inetrested I will advertise it

in fact I have used it with the A1 I sold to you with the nikkor 60D macro
Damn, I'm on the look out for one of these too - do you have a spare 2nd one up your sleeve? lol

Think Toby has one and rates it too.
Looks great - and nice and light. Very tempted to get one 2nd hand. Any idea how you check the firmware version when you get it - or do you need a docking station to check it - I know you need one to update it.

I have got accreditation for the Scotland Rugby Match on Saturday so have bought what I think will be my last lens that I need. Disclaimer I may buy more I want. It is a Laowa 12mm Zero-D and I will use it for stadium shots primarily. I bought the Nikon mount as I want to get the shift adapter at a later stage. So the question is does anyone have a recommendation for a dumb adapter or better still one for sale. I called FFordes about a metabones one but by the time they got back to me it had sold.
I've my eye on that adapter too you know :p

Looks great - and nice and light. Very tempted to get one 2nd hand. Any idea how you check the firmware version when you get it - or do you need a docking station to check it - I know you need one to update it.

The sammy 45mm was my favourite lens used it all the time for my jazz, can't go wrong with them.

The sammy 45mm was my favourite lens used it all the time for my jazz, can't go wrong with them.
Feeling the pinch after my change over, and after viewing this video on it - I think I'm pretty much made up my mind :)

seems to have done a good job (y)
It very very rarely works for OoF images. if its something really obvious like a flower it works but otherwise it isn't great imo.
In My experience it works great if defocus is slight. Just be sure to try very low numbers in either model. It won't work at all if you have both defocus and motion blur. It still can't deal with both.
A good hack for example is to use it on portrait where one eye is a bit softer, and you can mask the results to make them equally sharp.
I only wish it worked with soft corners which is in a way a form of defocus, but with certain additional distortion that throws the spanner into the works.

Whatever you do don't trust auto suggested numbers and keep them low

Think Toby has one and rates it too.
I sold it when I got the 50mm F1.4 FE II but I did like it a lot. The FE II is better on all fronts optically and AF, but the 45mm is so small and light. I keep thinking about buying another for when I want small and light.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 18.52.01.jpg
I've got the dock so can just use that, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can check lenses via the camera, but maybe that's just Sony lenses?
Early morning at Dunster.

T70-180mm panorama.

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Lovely lighting, and great processing as always.

Last edited:
Back