The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Tbh if you own decent canon glass and a Metabones it is perfect for how I use it I'm sure it isn't for everyone but it's a gr8 system with a7ii and a7rii .... Mrs a7sii should be here tomorrow so shall no doubt borrow that as well lol

Tbh if you own decent canon glass and a Metabones it is perfect for how I use it I'm sure it isn't for everyone but it's a gr8 system with a7ii and a7rii .... Mrs a7sii should be here tomorrow so shall no doubt borrow that as well lol
Omg you'll have the full trio of A7 series 2 bodies..... [emoji7]

Anyone used anything wider than the 16-35 I'm looking for a wide angle or a fisheye ..... Samyang 14mm a reasonable choice?

Anyone used anything wider than the 16-35 I'm looking for a wide angle or a fisheye ..... Samyang 14mm a reasonable choice?

You might be better off adapting a Canon mount Samyang 14mm with the Metabones, I'd read that the native 14mm Samyang wasn't great, something to do with the way Samyang have adapted them to Sony FE

After using the 24-70 f4 I may get the 16-35 F4 canon too but it's a toss up between that and sonys

Just a heads up folks, Amazon UK have the Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SD cards down to £29.99 plus you can get £10 off your order using "BIGTHANKS" code.
I've ordered a fair few at this price [emoji106][emoji41]

All gone, back up to £38.95 [emoji39]

I need a few 128s for when I hot the Morgan racing in April, going to fill the cards fast when I shoot sport.... really need that 70-400 now LOL

I need a few 128s for when I hot the Morgan racing in April, going to fill the cards fast when I shoot sport.... really need that 70-400 now LOL

Not sure Id trust that much data on one card, especially with no backup slot.

Ive not had any fail EVER so its either 128s or 64s. My dad has issues with Compact Flash and the crappy Pin system, but them cards are like Betamax and are being deprecated, for XQD. Id only want dual card slots if I was a Wedding guy and have a potential law suit LOL. otherwise im cool.

you guys ever had any fail ?

OK Long Reach Lens where do I go for Motorsport.

70-200 like this one but would like a bit more
70-400 Laea3 adaptor
100-400 Canon metabones

Is the sony combo faster or is using the LAEA3 the same as using a metabones same benefits and lack of special features ?
where would you stick your cash ?

does the Sony combo focus all the way to 400mm, I did read metabones struggle's after 320 ish... ?

Ive not had any fail EVER so its either 128s or 64s. My dad has issues with Compact Flash and the crappy Pin system, but them cards are like Betamax and are being deprecated, for XQD. Id only want dual card slots if I was a Wedding guy and have a potential law suit LOL. otherwise im cool.

you guys ever had any fail ?

Its not just failure by design, its also memory failure. Ive had failures from the top manufacturers over the years. I wouldnt like to take 128gb worth of photos only to lose them all, you may not get sued but dont you value your time, energy and photos more than that?

I tend to use a couple 32GB and hardly ever fill a whole card in a day, but I have an overflow or backup (d750). I dump them on the PC after a shoot. With my A7 I use a 16GB card.

Last edited:
yeah metabnone is slow but works but too slow for motorsports mate would consider the 70-400 a or the 70-200 f4 sony

does using the LAEA3 Owen work faster then ? any issues with it. I see the LAEA4 also but unsure if that's worth a punt over the 3..

I haven't used a longer lens with a mount adapter I'm sure someone in here has the meta bones is use able but not for motorsport

For weddings I just plan to swap out the cards every 1-2 hours, that way if a failure occurred I wouldn't lose the entire collection.
Send off or run a SD recovery tool on the failed cards.
Having insurance and contracts in place to cover against getting totally taken to the cleaners, worst case refund the client a % off the fee based on how many images were supplied.

Sound good?

Riz :)

For weddings I just plan to swap out the cards every 1-2 hours, that way if a failure occurred I wouldn't lose the entire collection.
Send off or run a SD recovery tool on the failed cards.
Having insurance and contracts in place to cover against getting totally taken to the cleaners, worst case refund the client a % off the fee based on how many images were supplied.

Sound good?

Riz :)

If thats acceptable to you then thats fine, but you wont be getting many more bookings thinking like that. ;)

quite a while I think about 10-15 mins just leave it near a power socket covered with a sheet or something can do it in the car via 12v socket also so v secure just do it and leave it go and get the card at next opportunity

quite a while I think about 10-15 mins just leave it near a power socket covered with a sheet or something can do it in the car via 12v socket also so v secure just do it and leave it go and get the card at next opportunity

That sounds like a plan..... I will get one of these and also stick to using 1 SD card per hour and swap out..... :) cheers for the tip.

That sounds like a plan..... I will get one of these and also stick to using 1 SD card per hour and swap out..... :) cheers for the tip.

Pleasure ;-) always worked ok for me the other option is to set a wifi drive up as an access point and transfer to it that way although it drains cam battery

nice units them Drives, have thought about one myself, infact I may just get 1 and have a few 64gb Fast cards. I kinda only ever buy Sandisk and Kingston, and as of yet have had none go mad...have a few Lexar though too

@littleted I have done quite a few weddings and always been ok for me unsure how long it takes to backup but I just leave it and carry on anyways :)

Hi guys.just got a7ii & bought a Sony to Minolta adapter with a Minolta rokker 135mm prime.lens seems to work fine but keep getting message on lcd lens not attached to camera properly,any ideas.thanks

Try to ensure the camera is turned off whenever you replace lens. I found that when the body was turned on when replacing the lens sometimes it would cause this error or not communicate apertures.

OK Long Reach Lens where do I go for Motorsport.

70-200 like this one but would like a bit more
70-400 Laea3 adaptor
100-400 Canon metabones

Is the sony combo faster or is using the LAEA3 the same as using a metabones same benefits and lack of special features ?
where would you stick your cash ?

does the Sony combo focus all the way to 400mm, I did read metabones struggle's after 320 ish... ?

Which Body are you using?

I have used the A7R2 for motorsport with the Mk4 metabones and it is workable. The constant AF doesn't work on the adapter properly. So will only track for the first frame. But it was fairly proficient for that frame - obviously this has the phase detection over some of the other bodies though...
I wrote an article for Amateur photographer magazine on it in January, but they've not put it online yet.

Yes Nick the R2 if I don't have enough money when the season starts I,ll just position myself so I can use the Canon 24-70

Which Body are you using?

I have used the A7R2 for motorsport with the Mk4 metabones and it is workable. The constant AF doesn't work on the adapter properly. So will only track for the first frame. But it was fairly proficient for that frame - obviously this has the phase detection over some of the other bodies though...
I wrote an article for Amateur photographer magazine on it in January, but they've not put it online yet.

Have u tried the 100-400? I know the 70-200 2.8 is 2 works fantastic but the sigma 150-600 is really slow

Have u tried the 100-400? I know the 70-200 2.8 is 2 works fantastic but the sigma 150-600 is really slow

I tried a range of lenses and a metabones mk3 and mk4.

The mk4 adapter is a must have. The Mk3 was close to useless. Equally upgrading the firmware on the mk4 made a noticeable difference.

I tried:

All Canon
28mm F1.8
50mm F1.4
85mm F1.8
17-40 F4L
70-200 2.8 non IS (also with 1.4xtc mk2)
500mm F4 L mk1 (also with 1.4xtc mk2)

All of them worked, the 500mm was a bit iffy. For static the AF was on parr with my 5dmk3. The second the subject moved the AF was not great but useable for the first frame. Success on frame 2,3,4,5, etc.. nearly 0.

I would imagine the 100-400 mk1 would be a push.
With the resolution available I would perhaps consider a teleconverter on the 70-200 (if you own it)

Back