The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

i'll probably stick with sony but just finding the system feeling little clunky and sluggish atm.

yes i know about the T-stops of the lens. there will be some light at the start, but lights on also so will be a chance to test out the bokeh. the stuff I've shot close up is buttery smooth.

There is only one solution to the feeling of it being a little clunky and sluggish.... Sony A9 dude :D lol

i'll probably stick with sony but just finding the system feeling little clunky and sluggish atm.

yes i know about the T-stops of the lens. there will be some light at the start, but lights on also so will be a chance to test out the bokeh. the stuff I've shot close up is buttery smooth.
Sluggish? Get any of the MK3 or A9. they are not sluggish at all

The Sony A9 is proper fast... however I have to concede that the Eye-AF can be improved further imo. :eek:
But saying that, I was using the Sony FE 85mm f1.4 which isn't the fasted focusing lens.

Last edited:
Should be fine.not seen any examples yet of people here shooting low light caf

Do like the thought of the higher res EVF on the A7R3 though. There are some interesting vids on it doing sports/action on YT too.

Do like the thought of the higher res EVF on the A7R3 though. There are some interesting vids on it doing sports/action on YT too.
The rear LCD screen is a higher resolution too ;) And it is better sealed / built due to the extra magnesium back, or save for the Sony A9 :D lol
It's £2950 on Panamoz at the moment with 3 years warranty.

there has to be a point where we stop throwing money at it all though.

perhaps sluggish was the wrong word. not complaining that I'm missing shots - i actually think the a7rii eye af is excellent and good enough for the portraits i do. which makes me smile when i read the nit-picking over which has the best eye af of the a73 and a9.

perhaps sluggish was the wrong word. not complaining that I'm missing shots - i actually think the a7rii eye af is excellent and good enough for the portraits i do. which makes me smile when i read the nit-picking over which has the best eye af of the a73 and a9.
I get that,im always smiling in this thread

Get the d850!
We've been over this already ;)

But for the record, the D850 does not show you the true DX view, just the FF view with the borders shaded (y)

I have to agree that the Eye-AF on the Sony A7R II is very much usable.... especially compared to the Fuji XT-2, I really missed the Sony's Eye-AF when I was running the Fooj system.
Your right though regarding money, there has to come a point where a line must be drawn when it comes to it.
When I take a step back and evaluate my setup, I don't really need any more lenses.... just a backup body...... Sony GAS is so hard to resist though.

I have to agree that the Eye-AF on the Sony A7R II is very much usable.... especially compared to the Fuji XT-2, I really missed the Sony's Eye-AF when I was running the Fooj system.
Your right though regarding money, there has to come a point where a line must be drawn when it comes to it.
When I take a step back and evaluate my setup, I don't really need any more lenses.... just a backup body...... Sony GAS is so hard to resist though.

Why do you need a backup body?

Just updated my 100-400 - maybe AF will be even more magic when shooting birds and yuffie :)

"This update (version 02) improves AF-C (continuous AF) performance for zooming when attached to an ILCE-9 camera"

Why do you need a backup body?

I don't need one yet.... hence why I managed to resist getting the Sony A7 III as that would have just been a GAS attacked associated with the £300 saving off RRP.
When I next do a paid wedding / event I will look at options but don't really need anything fancy .......

On what camera? The 5d3 and 4 diddnt really have faced detection.only in live view

True - ish, Canon bodies that feature iTR use face detection to improve the focus algorithm when used with AI servo / group AF trough the OVF. However I have never compared the hit rates to know how good it is from my own personal point of view, some say it works well, I do use face detect trough live view (as you say) on the 1DX2 and 5D4, with groups of people I find it works very well hopping from one face to another using the joystick, lets face it (no pun ;) ) the Sony eye AF looks awesome!

Just updated my 100-400 - maybe AF will be even more magic when shooting birds and yuffie :)

"This update (version 02) improves AF-C (continuous AF) performance for zooming when attached to an ILCE-9 camera"
That's what update (version 05) has done to the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM :)
As much as I wan't more lenses for the collections, I don't actually need them :D lol

Just missed out on a Amazon deal on the original Sony A7.... £469 :eek:

Last edited:
I don't need one yet.... hence why I managed to resist getting the Sony A7 III as that would have just been a GAS attacked associated with the £300 saving off RRP.
When I next do a paid wedding / event I will look at options but don't really need anything fancy .......

last wedding i shot i picked up a used a7 as a backup. chucked it in the bag and ended up using it for the group shots.

last wedding i shot i picked up a used a7 as a backup. chucked it in the bag and ended up using it for the group shots.
That's what I am leaning towards....I found for my style of shooting the FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM did most of the work with the odd lens changes for certain shots.
I will hold off for now unless some crazy deal crops up :D OR if I give in to Sony GAS.

But you're more likely to want a faster camera than a better EVF.

I don’t think there has been any comparisons between the speed of the A7iii or A7riii yet to make that call. There was an A9 comparison and the A7R looked to fair pretty well.But agree the A7iii will/should be faster!

But a decent EVF makes things better too.

Will wait and see anyway, no rush!

Last edited:
I don’t think there has been any comparisons between the speed of the A7iii or A7riii yet to make that call. There was an A9 comparison and the A7R looked to fair pretty well.

But a decent EVF makes things better too.

Will wait and see anyway, no rush!

Information off Sony's site...

Sony A7R III has 2x better AF compared to the Sony A7R II
Sony A7 III has 2x better AF compared to the Sony A7 II
Sony A9 has 20x better AF compared to the Sony A7 II

You also have to remember that the Sony A7R III has less AF points & coverage..... :(

399 phase-detection AF points covering approx. 68% of image area width and height plus 425 densely positioned contrast-detection AF points improve focus that might otherwise be un-achievable.

Does it let you touch and drag focus point whilst using VF like the olympus?
Dunno, I don't use touchscreen on cameras

But you're more likely to want a faster camera than a better EVF.
Possibly, but how much better do we need? Overall user experience counts a lot for me and things like screen res are quite important. Of course, it would all depend on how big the difference is in AF ;)

Information off Sony's site...

Sony A7R III has 2x better AF compared to the Sony A7R II
Sony A7 III has 2x better AF compared to the Sony A7 II
Sony A9 has 20x better AF compared to the Sony A7 II

You also have to remember that the Sony A7R III has less AF points & coverage..... :(

399 phase-detection AF points covering approx. 68% of image area width and height plus 425 densely positioned contrast-detection AF points improve focus that might otherwise be un-achievable.
TBH the A7Riii have more than enough AF coverage for me, I would never use the outer points of the A7iii and A9. As long as the focus point reaches just beyond the rules of thirds lines that's fine (y)

Possibly, but how much better do we need? Overall user experience counts a lot for me and things like screen res are quite important. Of course, it would all depend on how big the difference is in AF ;)

TBH the A7Riii have more than enough AF coverage for me, I would never use the outer points of the A7iii and A9. As long as the focus point reaches just beyond the rules of thirds lines that's fine (y)

The A7rii screen and AF are very good, its not as if they have turned poor overnight, Id rather have the AF speed, no point in a slightly better EVF if it means missing shots.

The A7iii AF IS better than the A7riii, no doubt in my mind, Ive been using Sony products long enough to know that when they add more phase points and coverage the AF speed gets better.

Last edited:
The A7rii screen and AF are very good, its not as if they have turned poor overnight, Id rather have the AF speed, no point in a slightly better EVF if it means missing shots.

The A7iii AF IS better than the A7riii, no doubt in my mind, Ive been using Sony products long enough to know that when they add more phase points and coverage the AF speed gets better.

I'm not sure if my post was clear tbh, I've no doubt that the A7iii AF is better (y). And no, I wouldn't sacrifice missing shots for an EVF. I'm happy with the AF of my D750, anything that's as good as that's fine by me. If it's better then great, but not essential (y)

Last edited:

I rarely ever venture out further! The coverage on the A7R3 is plenty enough! A9 have decided is out of budget but could stretch to A73 or A7R3, possibly!

Apparently Sony is favouring preorders paid in full upfront rather than the usual deposit method because of worldwide demand, that has secured my a7iii in the next batch from Sony. Sweet.
Woohoooo........ I am resisting.... I think a old / cheap A7 / A7 II might be my backup body of choice..... then see what the Sony A9 II brings to the table in a few years time. :eek:

Woohoooo........ I am resisting.... I think a old / cheap A7 / A7 II might be my backup body of choice..... then see what the Sony A9 II brings to the table in a few years time. :eek:
TBH if it wasn't for that pesky direct AF point control I'd be tempted to try one of the older bodies instead of my EM1 :facepalm:

TBH if it wasn't for that pesky direct AF point control I'd be tempted to try one of the older bodies instead of my EM1 :facepalm:

Its not that bad tbh. You can setup the directional pad left or right to activate, so you just move as normal, I recall once activated you just leave it activated and move around as normal without having to reactivate next shot.

Its not that bad tbh. You can setup the directional pad left or right to activate, so you just move as normal, I recall once activated you just leave it activated and move around as normal without having to reactivate next shot.
Or you could try your touch to focus point on your em1.faster than a joystick ;):D

The original A7 is still small compared to the newer Sony bodies, would make for a nice setup with my Zeiss 55mm f1.8. :D

That sounds better. When I had the Sony RX100 and Canon G7x you had to activate it every time, did my head in ;)

Or you could try your touch to focus point on your em1.faster than a joystick ;):D
But then you have to take your eye away from the EVF ;)

Back