The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The GT40 is such a wonderful shape and decades ahead of it's time, was a privilege to get a clear shot so close up.
Yep, probably the best looking car of all time.

Yep, probably the best looking car of all time.

For me...

33 stradale

Simply_Stunning_vehicle.jpg

250gto

Screenshot-2016-05-16-15.39.33.png

Some shots from the last 72 hours.......
Left home at 2am on Friday and headed to Glencoe for sunrise, Then off to Glenfinnan to catch the Jacobite steam train.
I then headed to Mallaig and caught the ferry to Skye where the weather was pretty crap. Got some shots at Elgol and headed for Neist Point. Got to within 1/4 of a mile of Neist Point and the fog rolled in and I couldn't see 3ft in front of me....worst fog I've ever seen.
So I headed home to Prestwick and got there at Midnight.
Got up today and saw the Anatov 225 at Prestwick.

Back to work tomorrow for a rest....

Here's some of the shots......

_DSC3887 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3913a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3963 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3996 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4013a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4021a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4134a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4302a by robert shearer, on Flickr

Last edited:
With all this talk about the A7SIII I've been wondering about getting rid of my A7SII and just go back to my phone since I'm not good with video so I don't feel I'm getting the benefit of the camera for all the hassle. However I was wanting to film something tonight at 1am which I'd tried before and ended up with a hilariously black video from my phone, this time with the A7SII aI was amazed how well lit the footage was given the area was mostly pitch black to my eyes. Frustratingly though after making sure I checked over the gimbal making sure it was balanced and good to go, when I powered it up to take the video it refused to power on for some reason so gave up on it since I didn't want to miss my subject and was then not only limited by being handheld but also trying to hold the camera in the gimbal which meant the footage wasn't as smooth or as level as I wanted.

I am around chap..... ;)lurking in the darkness awaiting the next epic camera GAS attack.... just kidding! :D
I have been pretty focused on work + family these past few months and have drifted further away from photography (iPhone still gets used a lot). The stock market has also taken more of my time and the rest has been put towards another passion of mine........ movies etc.

I recently upgraded my home cinema from high-end Atmos 7.1.4 sound bars to a dedicated 5.1.2 AVR + Speaker setup :D (this was after sending back the new LG sound bar for a refund)
Sound bars have their place but I was having too many niggles with them and thought I would be function over the appearance of the room.

50156758702_7ebdc3856e_c.jpg

50155967658_1a35bfbbdc_c.jpg

50155967103_1111de5c02_c.jpg

50156525721_961c9d7df9_c.jpg

50156525781_0fb0db259a_c.jpg

50156758232_555e3cc716_c.jpg

50155967323_f4f9e98ff5_c.jpg

50156758687_c357393242_c.jpg

Last edited:
Some shots from the last 72 hours.......
Left home at 2am on Friday and headed to Glencoe for sunrise, Then off to Glenfinnan to catch the Jacobite steam train.
I then headed to Mallaig and caught the ferry to Skye where the weather was pretty crap. Got some shots at Elgol and headed for Neist Point. Got to within 1/4 of a mile of Neist Point and the fog rolled in and I couldn't see 3ft in front of me....worst fog I've ever seen.
So I headed home to Prestwick and got there at Midnight.
Got up today and saw the Anatov 225 at Prestwick.

Back to work tomorrow for a rest....

Here's some of the shots......

_DSC3887 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3913a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3963 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC3996 by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4013a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4021a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4134a by robert shearer, on Flickr

_DSC4302a by robert shearer, on Flickr
Cracking set (not sure about the colours on the first?), such a photogenic part of the world.

Tamron 70-300mm incoming! You know a system has made it when a third party consumer 70-300 arrives. Actually looking forward to this, will likely be more than enough for my motorsport needs along with my 70-180mm.

Tamron 70-300mm incoming! You know a system has made it when a third party consumer 70-300 arrives. Actually looking forward to this, will likely be more than enough for my motorsport needs along with my 70-180mm.

Three AF lenses would duplicate what I had for my Canon DSLR's, a 70-300mm, a 12-24mm and a 150mm macro.

The whole overheating thing imo is overblown, look at other cameras, they all overheat. Fujis XTs, Panasonic (excluding the GH due to clever design), Nikons latest, Sonys APSC/FF and now the Canon R5/R6. Its nothing new. Small body, fast memory, lots of processing of very large files creates heat and it has nowhere to go. Sony was smart in lifting the upper limit of the warning at the users own risk during tricky shoots.

Last edited:
Wow that is small for a f1.4 !!

Be nice if Sigma started bringing out other small lenses for FE

Looking at it there is a fair chance it will still be quite heavy. Launched on the 6th of August so there should be lots of info soon.

Apparently there is more on the way too in the new design i.e smaller with an aperture ring.

Probably won’t be long before we see the 20,24,35,50,105,135 arts all in this new smaller design.

Last edited:
I'm just about to embark on shooting video on my A6500 never having done so before. I can find lots of YouTube stuff about general settings for video but I still have a few grey areas to clear up.
I'm unclear as to what are the best settings when just about to film in terms of exposure.
I understand that I should set shutter speed to twice the frame rate so should I set aperture to get the DOF I want and set the ISO to auto or am I still thinking too much in terms of shooting stills?
Be grateful for views.

I'm just about to embark on shooting video on my A6500 never having done so before. I can find lots of YouTube stuff about general settings for video but I still have a few grey areas to clear up.
I'm unclear as to what are the best settings when just about to film in terms of exposure.
I understand that I should set shutter speed to twice the frame rate so should I set aperture to get the DOF I want and set the ISO to auto or am I still thinking too much in terms of shooting stills?
Be grateful for views.

Thats correct, Auto ISO can be really useful but manual would be more consistent.

I really hope the price is reasonable.

I am gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess it will be around £1300

Just noticed it has a lock button for the aperture ring, why can't Sony do that!

Last edited:
I am gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess it will be around £1300

Just noticed it has a lock button for the aperture ring, why can't Sony do that!
Hmmm, sadly I think you might me right. As it's never been listed as an Art lens I thought it might be a cheaper sibling but I've just seen the "A" on the side so I'm assuming that it's a new Art lens, guess I'll be sticking with the Sony f1.8 for quite some time then.

Hmmm, sadly I think you might me right. As it's never been listed as an Art lens I thought it might be a cheaper sibling but I've just seen the "A" on the side so I'm assuming that it's a new Art lens, guess I'll be sticking with the Sony f1.8 for quite some time then.

I think it's likely to launch at around £1300 or so to hoover up the early adopters but Sigma art lenses usually drop in price quite quickly, it will likely be around £900 or so after a few months.

I wasn't that interested in the new Sigma 85mm art but after seeing the comparison photo with the Tamron 28-75 and comparing my own Tamron 28-75 to my 85 f/1.8 it looks like the new Sigma is about the same psychical size as the Sony 85 f/1.8.

If that is the case that changes things some what and it is a lens I would be interested in. I would never get rid of my 85GM, but I could see myself upgrading my 85 f/1.8 to the new Sigma, if it has a reasonable a.f speed. If the a.f speed isn't good I won't bother. Interesting that it doesn't seem to have the HSM motor, wonder if the new Sigma has the new dual motor systems which would make it very fast.

Last edited:
I wasn't that interested in the new Sigma 85mm art but after seeing the comparison photo with the Tamron 28-75 and comparing my own Tamron 28-75 to my 85 f/1.8 it looks like the new Sigma is about the same psychical size as the Sony 85 f/1.8.

If that is the case that changes things some what and it is a lens I would be interested in. I would never get rid of my 85GM, but I could see myself upgrading my 85 f/1.8 to the new Sigma, if it has a reasonable a.f speed.

For me with my creaking old A7 the focus performance would be crucial as if there's any hint of hesitation or hunting that would just kill it stone dead for me.

The whole overheating thing imo is overblown, look at other cameras, they all overheat. Fujis XTs, Panasonic (excluding the GH due to clever design), Nikons latest, Sonys APSC/FF and now the Canon R5/R6. Its nothing new. Small body, fast memory, lots of processing of very large files creates heat and it has nowhere to go. Sony was smart in lifting the upper limit of the warning at the users own risk during tricky shoots.

That's true, the only issue with the A7Siii overheating with video though is a) Sony says it doesn't overheat b) it appears to be random or at least inconsistent c) it's purely a video camera and if it can't reliably do that then it's pretty useless.

For me with my creaking old A7 the focus performance would be crucial as if there's any hint of hesitation or hunting that would just kill it stone dead for me.

Even if it is super fast, you won't see the advantage on such an old body and it will likely perform much worse than it should.

At some point your gonna have to upgrade that thing, That body is so old I heard Judas shot the last supper with one.

At some point your gonna have to upgrade that thing, That body is so old I heard Judas shot the last supper with one.

You really crack me up sometimes :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::sony:

On serious note- I have a Sony 85mm GM - I doubt any 3rd party 85mm would tempt me to change that - I love the f1.4 add that to Eye AF its a dream lens for portraits :)

Les :)

Even if it is super fast, you won't see the advantage on such an old body and it will likely perform much worse than it should.

My worry is based on my experience with the Sony 50mm f2.8 macro I had which was unusable as an AF lens on my A7 but all the other Sony AF lenses I have work ok. If any other lens uses similar cheapo or otherwise crappy AF it could be just as useless. IQ and AF wise with decent lenses my A7 does everything I want it to.

Actually, I had a very bad day yesterday and as I lay in bed I did think about (trying) to sell just about everything I have and just keeping the A7 and a couple of lenses as I'm just not getting the time or opportunity to pursue this hobby now.

I am around chap..... ;)lurking in the darkness awaiting the next epic camera GAS attack.... just kidding! :D
I have been pretty focused on work + family these past few months and have drifted further away from photography (iPhone still gets used a lot). The stock market has also taken more of my time and the rest has been put towards another passion of mine........ movies etc.

I recently upgraded my home cinema from high-end Atmos 7.1.4 sound bars to a dedicated 5.1.2 AVR + Speaker setup :D (this was after sending back the new LG sound bar for a refund)
Sound bars have their place but I was having too many niggles with them and thought I would be function over the appearance of the room.

50156758702_7ebdc3856e_c.jpg

50155967658_1a35bfbbdc_c.jpg

50155967103_1111de5c02_c.jpg

50156525721_961c9d7df9_c.jpg

50156525781_0fb0db259a_c.jpg

50156758232_555e3cc716_c.jpg

50155967323_f4f9e98ff5_c.jpg

50156758687_c357393242_c.jpg
Well now that cinema's wnt be opening anytime soon, i will just pop round yours to see TENANT!!!

dont worry i will bring some popcorn hehe

You really crack me up sometimes :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::sony:

On serious note- I have a Sony 85mm GM - I doubt any 3rd party 85mm would tempt me to change that - I love the f1.4 add that to Eye AF its a dream lens for portraits :)

Les :)

Yeah the GM is excellent and there is no chance that the new Sigma will have nicer rendering. I wouldn't be giving up my GM for the new Sigma either, might be happy to give up my FE85 f/1.8 though.

My worry is based on my experience with the Sony 50mm f2.8 macro I had which was unusable as an AF lens on my A7 but all the other Sony AF lenses I have work ok. If any other lens uses similar cheapo or otherwise crappy AF it could be just as useless. IQ and AF wise with decent lenses my A7 does everything I want it to.

Actually, I had a very bad day yesterday and as I lay in bed I did think about (trying) to sell just about everything I have and just keeping the A7 and a couple of lenses as I'm just not getting the time or opportunity to pursue this hobby now.

Maybe a new body with all the latest tech is just what you need to reinvigorate your interest.

Back