The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Stone High Street- Sony a7Riii + Sony 28mm f2- in the rain too

CHSVxt3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Looks like you were up early.

Thank you Trevor, I was around 6am - took the dog out and went to buy the morning paper :)

I don't live in Stone ,I was there visiting my Brother - I then thought this was an opportunity to test this set up in not so ideal conditions, so it went in my backpack :) ;)

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an enlarging lens in one of those cases.

Sure it's not for an enlarger? 39mm thread?

It's deffo a photographic lens so I had a look at the case to see if there are any clues there but it is labelled as Nikkor and Nippon Kogaku so it looks genuine unless Nikon also made enlarger lenses that took the same lens end cap. All these ones I have have the same Nikon mount and the same 52mm filter thread.

Ah, I see George confirms they also made enlargers.

I really like the build of these lenses.

Last edited:
Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Fairfield Kent UK of the tiny St Thomas a Becket Church.

George.

A lovely picture and thanks also George for taking the time to do the lovely and interesting write up too.

A lovely picture and thanks also George for taking the time to do the lovely and interesting write up too.

Thank you kindly Alan, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

It's deffo a photographic lens so I had a look at the case to see if there are any clues there but it is labelled as Nikkor and Nippon Kogaku so it looks genuine unless Nikon also made enlarger lenses that took the same lens end cap. All these ones I have have the same Nikon mount and the same 52mm filter thread.

Ah, I see George confirms they also made enlargers.

I really like the build of these lenses.

Alan, I don't know if Nikon actually made "Enlargers" as such but they definitely made enlarging lenses of which I still have two that both came in those dome type cases. I still have a 50mm for 35mm neg's and a 75mm for 6x6 negs and very good they are too. I also have an adapter which I made myself to mount them on my Fuji cameras as they make an extremely good close focus/macro lens but of coarse without any focussing mechanism. The only focusing you can do with them is to move the camera closer or further away from the subject or mount them on to a bellows rack etc.

George.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about these George so please excuse the "enlargers" as I meant enlarging lenses or whatever the conversation turned to. I do know they exist but only because people have mentioned them on forums. I think I'll google them to see what they look like.

In the meantime I don't really have a use for the dome the 35mm f2.8 (which most definitely is an SLR lens) came in but I will keep it in good condition just in case I decide to sell the lens at some point in the future. At the moment these old Nikon Nippon Kogaku lenses have become a bit of a favourite of mine as the image quality is ok and the build quality is excellent. I think of them as the Voigtlander E mount lenses of their day :D

It's been a dark and horrible day today so I'll have to wait to give my latest buy, that 24mm f2.8, a day old.

PS.
Great work making your own adaptor.

Last edited:
"HEADS UP"

For anyone interested in seeing a little more and the inside of the little "Fairfield Church" that I posted yesterday I urge you to take a look at the short video that @4wd has posted on the RX100 thread. Its very interesting and well worth a look.

George.

I mentioned in a thread a week or two back that last year I bought a cottage at Whitstable purely for Vacational & RnR purposes and @Fuji Dave mentioned that he used to live there and loved the place and said I bet "The Harbour" has changed quite a bit since he lived there. Well Dave this is how it is now shot especially for you my friend :):)

Just a simple Landscape/Seascape type Snapograph taken at Whitstable Harbour Kent UK of the scene at a very lowish tide.

RX10M4, 1/640th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Whitstable Harbour At Lowish Tide-03452ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Thanks very much George, looks just how I remember it too. Lovely image.

Thanks very much George, looks just how I remember it too. Lovely image.

You're very welcome Dave, if you ever decide to visit those parts again buddy give me a tug and we'll have ourselves a time or two and visit the "The Old Neptune" for a session :beer::beer::)

George.

A question for the A7Riv users amongst us. I am just wondering whether noise is an issue at all at low ISO?

A question for the A7Riv users amongst us. I am just wondering whether noise is an issue at all at low ISO?

Good to see you around again Trev. Perhaps this will help? Id imagine Low ISO will be ridiculously clean but I know and trust @snerkler will give you an unbiased opinion...

Depends what you call low ISO? ;)

It's a bit of an 'odd' one with the A7R IV. What I mean by this is that ISO handling is very good, and not something I worry about. However, because of all those MP there is a tendency to crop heavily (one of the reasons I bought it) which of course shows noise. I shot some birds recently at ISO 1600-2000 and cropped to about 2x and slightly more and did have to apply a bit of NR to the background. At 'normal' resolution I don't even bother with NR in post until around 12800 in many situations.

Of course this is all subjective, and everyone's tolerance of noise is different. I would say it's no worse than the D850, probably a bit better. The noise is quite fine though and not an 'ugly' noise.

Last edited:
Zeiss Batis 85mm from the classifieds on it's way to me.

When my 55mm Zeiss sells i'll get the Sigma 135mm, if anyone here fancies a trade for a 135mm mine is in the classifieds.

Depends what you call low ISO? ;)

It's a bit of an 'odd' one with the A7R IV. What I mean by this is that ISO handling is very good, and not something I worry about. However, because of all those MP there is a tendency to crop heavily (one of the reasons I bought it) which of course shows noise. I shot some birds recently at ISO 1600-2000 and cropped to about 2x and slightly more and did have to apply a bit of NR to the background. At normal viewing sizes I don't even bother with NR in post until around 12800 in many situations.

Of course this is all subjective, and everyone's tolerance of noise is different. I would say it's no worse than the D850, probably a bit better. The noise is quite fine though and not an 'ugly' noise.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I should have said ISO up to about 1600 or so. I don’t tend to go much higher very often with the A7R iii that i currently use...

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I should have said ISO up to about 1600 or so. I don’t tend to go much higher very often with the A7R iii that i currently use...
Looking at this then the A7R IV is about on par with the A7R III when viewed at the same size image, the A7R IV maybe has a touch more chroma noise if being picky.

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.06.19 by TDG-77, on Flickr

For birding I did not like going above iso 800 but for a scene say a street or field with trees 1600 was ok in the end I sold it and bought the a9mkII a better camera for birding imho.

Rob.

For birding I did not like going above iso 800 but for a scene say a street or field with trees 1600 was ok in the end I sold it and bought the a9mkII a better camera for birding imho.

Rob.

Thanks for the feedback.. Yes i believe the 9 mk ii is a great option for BIF etc.. enjoy using it...

Cracking image this is, love it.

Cheers Dave, she's a beauty isn't she. She's an ex street dog that was recently rescued. Very sweet natured.

I seem to take quite a few shots from this level.
When as here, I use portrait orientation I'd like a flippy flappy lcd.
To save me searching has anyone got a Sony with fully articulating screen ?
Recommendations ?

Forest floor.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

As far as I know the new A7s is the only A7/A9 camera that has a fully articulated screen although the new FF A6xxx style camera is rumoured to have one too. Maybe they'll be on all new models as they come out?

I can't say that a fully articulated screen v a tilting one is that big an issue for me as both have their advantages. The only cameras I've had with fully articulated screens were my Panasonic G1 and G7 and with those cameras the screen spent the vast majority of its life turned to the body.

One feature I do like from my Panasonic MFT GX9 is the tilting evf and that's something I would like on an A7, I'd also like a Panasonic style tilting inbuilt flash on an A7 but I can't see that ever happening, which is a shame.

On orientation I mostly do landscape orientation with the occasional portrait orientation. I do prefer 4/3 ratio for portrait orientation so I sometimes crop to that.

I’ve been playing around with the Cascable camera app.
Works well enough. But it seems Sony have crippled apps for anything A7iii and later. Cannot set the focus point or focus the camera on the phones touchscreen. This apparently was available on previous models.
Not the end of the world..but could’ve made life a bit easier.

I figured as I’ve not got an articulating screen I could simply use a small tripod and the app for my low viewpoint pictures.
But I’d have to focus by pressing the AF-ON on the camera.
Use the app to fire the shutter.

Might be too much faff...

I’ve been playing around with the Cascable camera app.
Works well enough. But it seems Sony have crippled apps for anything A7iii and later. Cannot set the focus point or focus the camera on the phones touchscreen. This apparently was available on previous models.
Not the end of the world..but could’ve made life a bit easier.

I figured as I’ve not got an articulating screen I could simply use a small tripod and the app for my low viewpoint pictures.
But I’d have to focus by pressing the AF-ON on the camera.
Use the app to fire the shutter.

Might be too much faff...
Have you tried camrote ?

Back