The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Something that's on my list for early this year is sorting out a small day rucksack something 26lt or so, and an insert for it for the camera.
At the minute the smallest rucksack I have is 46lt and no waterproof camera bag.

But yes I'm getting ready to go out around 07:30 to catch first light, I'll set off out as soon as I can see where I'm going.

I use an Osprey Kamber 42. Yeah it's a bit big at times but I'd rather have more room than not enough.

Forgot to add, I started walking at 7:00 on Christmas Eve, pitch black up the side of a hill :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
See the problem I have is they make it a camera case first rucksack last.
Ie rubbish straps, rubbish back, poor hiking specific features.
I'm looking at the Osprey Stratos 26, fully suspended back, ventilated wide straps, place for axe and just well thought out.
Then fit a camera insert into it.
I've got an osprey rucksack but it's too big for a day bag.
The trekker is a camera bag first, but for a day in the hills it's great for me. The straps are comfortable for a 10-12 mile walk....I appreciate it wouldn't suit a hard-core hiker.
My friend does a lot of hiking over long distances etc and he thought the straps etc on the trekker were surprisingly good for a camera bag.
He did recommend a smaller osprey to use as a day bag but I can't remember which one...

See the problem I have is they make it a camera case first rucksack last.
Ie rubbish straps, rubbish back, poor hiking specific features.
I'm looking at the Osprey Stratos 26, fully suspended back, ventilated wide straps, place for axe and just well thought out.
Then fit a camera insert into it.
I sometimes use my Osprey stratos 24 bag for photography kit. Useful if going light with one camera and lens with travel tripod and other other hiking kit. I find the Osprey stratos ato be a very comfortable bag. I wore it up Scafell Pike in September (not photography trip- more walking) and didn’t find it uncomfortable at all. TBH it didn’t feel like it was there most of the time. The difference between proper hiking bags and photography backpack is huge. No comparison where comfort is concerned.

I went with the 24L as I didn’t like the rucksack style lid. Much prefer the top zip access even if it means 2 litres less capacity.

Yes does seem a bit odd on a lens this expensive not to have it. I was going to increase the tension collar when storing
Doesn’t stop it creeping when walking, but it’s such a good lens otherwise I can forgive it ;)

Last edited:
It looks to be quite a good deal. It’s a shame it’s only for Sony lenses as I’m thinking of the tamron 28-200 as an all in one lens for hiking. It’s a shame the Sony version (24-240) is a bit rubbish. If there was a good Sony 24-200 version of similar quality to the Nikon I’d be all over it.

That Tamron does sound like a good all in one option. I did have the Sony 24-240 a few years ago, it was ok, not as bad as some reviews

It looks to be quite a good deal. It’s a shame it’s only for Sony lenses as I’m thinking of the tamron 28-200 as an all in one lens for hiking. It’s a shame the Sony version (24-240) is a bit rubbish. If there was a good Sony 24-200 version of similar quality to the Nikon I’d be all over it.

the Nikon is't actually all that good either tbh. I prefer the Tamron over the Nikon from what I have seen. Nikon is basically a stop slower at a lot of the focal lengths where as Tamron is only 1/3rd stop slower from ~80-105mm compared to 24-105mm f4.

the Nikon is't actually all that good either tbh. I prefer the Tamron over the Nikon from what I have seen. Nikon is basically a stop slower at a lot of the focal lengths where as Tamron is only 1/3rd stop slower from ~80-105mm compared to 24-105mm f4.
For my intended landscape use I doubt I’d use it much below f8 anyway so aperture speed is as much of a concern. The only downside I’ve seen so far is the tamron isn’t great on higher MP cameras which isn’t such an issue as I have an A9. I gather that’s not the case the Nikon as it’s good on the Z7. It’s a shame the tamron starts at 28mm rather 24mm as it feels like I can’t fully replace the 24-105 with it. When hiking in mountains it should work quite well as I don’t usually shoot at 24mm as I use the 40-150mm range the most, but on the edges in the Peaks I quite like a wide shot with foreground interest. 25mm covers that ok but wide could be useful at times. Potentially I could pair it with an ultra wide tamron lens to cover the below 28mm range but the only option seems to be a f2.8 lens which seems pointless paying for as I‘d be unlikely to make use of the f2.8 aperture.

Ooft - I'm finally in a position to place an order for an a7iii - Been saving my pennies for a while, the best deal I can find is cameraworld offering it at 1699 (then 300 back) anyone else doing the same by chance? I really want to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible.

I've had the a7 for quite a while and I have been happy with it but the iii just seems to tick every box I could ever need.

Last edited:
Ooft - I'm finally in a position to place an order for an a7iii - Been saving my pennies for a while, the best deal I can find is cameraworld offering it at 1699 (then 300 back) anyone else doing the same by chance? I really want to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible.

I've had the a7 for quite a while and I have been happy with it but the iii just seems to tick every box I could ever need.

Just bought today. Went to Currys, but non in stock what so ever - shame as I get 10% off anything.

I'd suggest asking Panamoz to match E-infinity price so you get their warranty and faster shipping.

Looks like I will have two FE28mm f2, as just found one in one of my many camera bags. So will keep both, as one can have the fisheye converter on and the other without.

You forgot you had one?

Did someone have a little senior moment? :D

Actually, that's a good excuse... "Yes, I know I've bought another 50mm lens and that makes 82. But I forgot I had the others" :D

Just looking for a nice manual lens now :D

There are a lot of nice film era primes. I think the early Nikons like the Nippon Kogaku's I have are very nicely made but of all the ones I have I think the Minolta Rokkors are about the best plus the earlier MC's with the scalloped focus rings are gorgeous.

The new ones I like best are the Voigtlanders for their build and handling. I think they look much nicer than the modern e mount Zeiss Loxia lenses and much more like an old lens. The Voigtlander 50mm f2 pro lanthar is very good as is the 65mm which I don't have but I do like the 35mm f1.4 despite the funky bokeh at f1.x because it's so small and it does give a nice look stopped down. If you want a smoother less funky look the 35, 40 and 50mm f1.2's could be worth a look. I do keep thinking about buying the 35 and 50mm f1.2 :D

The Voigtlander 50mm f2 pro lanthar is the best lens I've ever used, which may not say much :D but lots of reviewers seem to think it's rather good. I do think it's impressive that it's good whilst being relatively small.

"The highly anticipated Voigtlander 50/2 APO-Lanthar hits the market and scores a huge win for the Sony E-mount.

After putting the apochromatic 50mm lens under great scrutiny, it delivered exceptional performance while maintaining IQ at all distances. At infinity and wide open, it is already excellent across the entire image field and basically achieves perfection one stop down at f/2.8. It matches and in some cases exceeds the outstanding resolution from lenses like the Voigtlander 65/2 APO-Lanthar and Sony 50/1.4 ZA, making it a perfect companion to the Sony A7R IV 60MP sensor!

At minimal focus distance, it's impeccable from wide open, thanks to the floating element (FLE) system. All of this while delivering smooth and neutral rendering.

The lack of color aberration, high resolution/contrast and normal focal length, makes it a solid option as a walk-around lens for street, portraits and landscapes. The Voigtlander 50/2 APO-Lanthar is compact, light and has superb image quality. If you are a Sony shooter you need to do everything in your power to get ahold of this lens as soon as possible. I don't know how I can be more clear: This is the absolute soul-mate to the Sony 60MP sensor."

"So the Voigtlander 2/50 APO is an outstanding lens but should you buy it? In my experience buying a lens just because it is a great performer is usually bad advice.

If you are in the lucky position that spending a little over $1k on a 2/50 won’t cause you any financial stress go for it: You will enjoy handling it. You will also enjoy the images you take with it and you can be certain that there is no better for some applications applications. For example for landscape photography where speed isn’t important but sharpness, contrast, flare resistance and sunstars clearly make the AL 2/50 best in class and the images you take with it on a high resolution camera will hold up to gigantic enlargement.

But if you are in the more typical situation that this amount of money is a big investment to you I can only advise to not be blinded by the Voigtlander’s technical perfection. Other lenses give in my eyes nicer images for a wider range of uses. Take for example Voigtlander’s own 1.2/50 which is close in price and size but offers 1.5 stops more and also nicer bokeh. Sure the 2/50 AL is a lot better corrected but at the typical enlargements I find aberrations to be hardly ever an issue while speed and bokeh are easily visible in most images."

Last edited:
And in other news...... I found snow this morning. Yes, SNOW. All the way down here in Somerset!

Was certainly a nice surprise I can tell you that much :) Sooooo glad I decided to get up & out early this morning :)

Still none here. It's been easily cold enough and the sky looked like it was going to snow but so far... nada.

That was a quick decision. It normally takes me weeks :D

I'm sure you'll be happy with it. When I look at pictures taken with this lens I just love the look... maybe it'll make sense when you see your own pictures but they just look nice :D

Amazon are £1745 less £240 voucher but they've been removed from the cash back list for being naughty, guess the upside is you don't have to wait 30 days to claim and then another 28 for your cash. They bring them in from other EU countries so not grey but clearly upset Sony UK.

Back