The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, I've just ordered my final lens for 2020 (and 2021/2/3 if MrsL finds out). Buoyed by my liking of the Voigtlander 21mm, and coming to the conclusion that the A7C is best suited to primes (I'm a slow learner), I am ditching the Tamron 28-75 and replacing it with a Voigtlander 15mm. It's not a lens I will use daily, but I loved that focal length when I had the Sony 10-18 on the A6500.

Well, I've just ordered my final lens for 2020 (and 2021/2/3 if MrsL finds out). Buoyed by my liking of the Voigtlander 21mm, and coming to the conclusion that the A7C is best suited to primes (I'm a slow learner), I am ditching the Tamron 28-75 and replacing it with a Voigtlander 15mm. It's not a lens I will use daily, but I loved that focal length when I had the Sony 10-18 on the A6500.

Unless you need/want EXIF I'd have personally gone for the new laowa 14mm f4
It's wider, sharper, smaller, lighter, faster, cheaper. It's better in every way apart from lack of EXIF.

Last edited:

You should take a look at the Sony mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. The extreme corners are never great and the bokeh can be funky at f1.x with a messy subject but it's small, sharp enough in the central area from f1.4, sharp enough everywhere except the extreme corners when stopped down and the bokeh gets tamed when stopped down a bit too. It is IMO a really nice and much underrated lens and definitely much better than the M mount version.

Unless you need/want EXIF I'd have personally gone for the new laowa 14mm f4
It's wider, sharper, smaller, lighter, faster, cheaper. It's better in every way apart from lack of EXIF.
Well, the electrical connections don't just pass EXIF information. They allow you to focus wide-open without having to remember to stop down. And they enable the appropriate amount of IBIS to be applied. I don't subscribe to the mantra that all lenses should be super-sharp. Or necessarily fast. Their charisma is just as important. And for me, having a set of manual lenses which operate in the same way is also important. :)

You should take a look at the Sony mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. The extreme corners are never great and the bokeh can be funky at f1.x with a messy subject but it's small, sharp enough in the central area from f1.4, sharp enough everywhere except the extreme corners when stopped down and the bokeh gets tamed when stopped down a bit too. It is IMO a really nice and much underrated lens and definitely much better than the M mount version.
It's on the radar. Unfortunately the radar has lost its ping for now. :(

It's mostly all I use. I only go into the menu to alter the clock, format the card or to turn auto magnification on and off as I prefer it to be off and to call it up manually when using my Voigtlanders. I don't even bother with buttons now for metering and the like and just use the menu.

I noticed the other day my clock is an hour out. Forgot to change it. You've just reminded me. I'll probably forget again by later on :)

It's lovely here. We haven't had any snow but there was and still is a heavy frost and sunshine. It'd be lovely to go for a walk and take some pictures but impossible today. maybe tomorrow if the weather holds :D

Some one has reported your post and suggested a months ban for that terrible joke,
I must admit I did think about it :p

I don't blame you. My jokes are a bit of a marmite thing. Or in this case, gravy. :D

Yeah I like it on my A7C, not got much on mine, as I fitted what I need on custom buttons then the FN menu then the my menu. Has format, grid lines, AF illuminator so far.

Yeah, Fn is my most used button, very useful.

Well folks I got myself the A9 and 200-600mm lens which I had out proper yesterday in the hide ( see my post " Its a start " for more info in the Talk Nature thread ) of which I got some nice images of a couple of jays, had to change my camera settings out a bit sort out a bit of an issue I had with battery drain.

Last edited:
I shot a pigeon outside Tesco today. That's what I call everyday value. :)

I guess it's ok, I was at 1/640th shutter. Could have frozen the wings more at around twice that speed.

Pigeon
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

IMO you did a great shot, nice wing blur and it's sharp in all the right places.

IMO you did a great shot, nice wing blur and it's sharp in all the right places.

As Dave said, sharp where it needs to be and the blur improves it imo

Thanks Dave and Lee. Wasn't expecting much positive feedback as I kind of thought I blew the photo, but I'll take that! :)

So that's also my last photo of 2020 and marks six months from being a complete beginner to what I've learnt now. Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome and for making this such an enjoyable place to hang out, and for all those who taught me things and gave me awesome help and tips along the way.

Happy new year to everyone here. and bottoms up to a more fruitful, healthy and of course more photo laden 2021! :beer:

Thanks Dave and Lee. Wasn't expecting much positive feedback as I kind of thought I blew the photo, but I'll take that! :)

So that's also my last photo of 2020 and marks six months from being a complete beginner to what I've learnt now. Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome and for making this such an enjoyable place to hang out, and for all those who taught me things and gave me awesome help and tips along the way.

Happy new year to everyone here. and bottoms up to a more fruitful, healthy and of course more photo laden 2021! :beer:
The boy done well. And for what it’s worth, I think the movement in the wings makes the picture, plus it suits the mono treatment.

I have some nice fruit flavoured wine waiting for me plus some home made ice cream, coconut and vanilla flavours. I'm having both!

Happy New Year everyone!

:D

The boy done well. And for what it’s worth, I think the movement in the wings makes the picture, plus it suits the mono treatment.

Thank you Stephen. (y)

I have some nice fruit flavoured wine waiting for me plus some home made ice cream, coconut and vanilla flavours. I'm having both!

Happy New Year everyone!

The ice cream sounds superb, love coconut! I've just bought another bag of butterkist toffee popcorn, I'm addicted to it, lol.

Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New to you Mrs Woof Woff and everyone else. I'm having a few bottles of ice cold Nastro Azzurro while playing Star Wars game :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:
Back