The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The rumor guy says a curved sensor RX camera may be on the way...

We live in interesting times.

Will the curved sensor be worth the bother? Who know? Maybe we all will soon :D

I suppose if they did this for an A7/9 we'd need new lenses? Or maybe it could sort of work with an adapter? Who knows?
RX cameras aren't under the Alpha mark though are they which is what it says in the screen shot.
I think it's the A9, or maybe it is the replacement for the RX1 but with a name change.

RX cameras aren't under the Alpha mark though are they which is what it says in the screen shot.
I think it's the A9, or maybe it is the replacement for the RX1 but with a name change.

Good point but would they do this on an A7/9? Who knows? We will on Tuesday :D

I just watched La La Land. Fantastic movie if you haven't seen it. They were doing a band photo shoot and I spotted a camera. Anyone know what model this is? The movie was made 2016. Thumbnail is clickable.

Last edited:
No idea. Not mirrorless? SLT? A99? Someone will know :D

I've tried to watch that a couple of times, once on a plane, but was interrupted each time. I'll see it one day.

I can recommend a French picture called "The big picture." It has cameras in it.

Can't sleep, had a bad day, so sat watching movies. Have just watched "Yesterday" and now watching "Arrival" about aliens, oh er.

Last edited:
I just watched La La Land. Fantastic movie if you haven't seen it. They were doing a band photo shoot and I spotted a camera. Anyone know what model this is? The movie was made 2016. Thumbnail is clickable.

Pretty sure it's the original A99, they shifted the front custom button slightly on the A99-II

ah, bless. You're too young :D

Back in t'olden daze slt's were a new thing. I never tried one but they certainly had their fans.

Ah thanks guys, A99 is a Sony model I'd not heard of.

They were the real "alphas" per say. if you were ever wondering why e-mount bodies have AX or AXXXX but not AXX or AXXX its because AXXX is Sony DSLRs (started with A100 when they took over a-mount from minolta) and AXX are SLTs (which were interesting but kinda lost Sony their DSLR chops). At the time e-mount were branded using nex to designate their bodies.

then they decided to merge the branding for all their still camera to A/alpha series.

Last edited:
What's interesting/annoying is their difference in branding between a-mount bodies and e-mount bodies

A1XX-A7XX = APC-C DSLRs, no "mk2" style branding used here (eg: A100, A200, A550, A580, A700)
A8XX-A9XX = FF DSLRs, no "mk2" style branding used here (only two were made A850 and A900)
A3X-A7X = APS-C DSLTs but then instead of just incrementing numbers they decided to make A77m2 (eg: A33, A37, A55, A58, A65, A68, A77 but then A77M2!! why not A79?)
A9X = FF DSLTs and once again after the A99 they decided to make A99m2 whereas previously they didn't have the "M2" designation but I guess you can really go one up A99 lol

A3XXX-A6XXX = APS-C mirrorless - no "MK2" branded bodies but its still confusing.... for example is A6100 better or worst than A6300??
A7/A9 = FF mirrorless, for these they have letter i.e. R/S/C plus "MK2/3/4"....

how confusing can one make it :p

Last edited:
You're a walking sony encylopedia, nandbytes! Thank you for that detailed explanation, very interesting. :)

ah, bless. You're too young :D

Back in t'olden daze slt's were a new thing. I never tried one but they certainly had their fans.

Hah, not so young, but young to photography. :D

No great masterpieces here. Just slices of an ordinary life. Stuff we sometimes zap off to Mrs WW's family overseas.
A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

The light just looked nice to me.

xDmLks2.jpg

A bit messy. I'll tidy up before "She" sees.

i4vplev.jpg

Off to do some essential shopping.

TzTZnQA.jpg

I haven't been in here for years. Note the deserted high street.

rshjmDb.jpg

Well a few more rumours on Sonyalpharumors about the possible A9iii to be announced tomorrow.

of the bunch they've listed, the following is closest to what I was expecting.

Imx 435 will makes its way into the new A9 iii camera to be released tomorrow. A true hybrid powerhouse. 36mp, 8k60p, 4K 120, 30fps photos with fast AF. Hexaconversion gain allows for amazing low light ability and extremely clean imagery at most ISO’s. All conversion gain readout at base iso allows for 17+ stops of Dynamic range. The pinnacle of imaging on an exmore sensor… More soon…

36mp would be be spot on coupled with 30fps.

He says it's a wild rumour... And I think so too.

It will be funny if this all ends in an anti-climatic fashion with a new kit lens for APS-C e-mount bodies :ROFLMAO:

Ohh I know it's a wild rumor but the 36mp and 30fps is what I'm expecting on the next A9 camera.

And no doubt tomorrow will be disappointing, I should just avoid looking on sonyalpharumors as they are useless.

Well a few more rumours on Sonyalpharumors about the possible A9iii to be announced tomorrow.

of the bunch they've listed, the following is closest to what I was expecting.

Imx 435 will makes its way into the new A9 iii camera to be released tomorrow. A true hybrid powerhouse. 36mp, 8k60p, 4K 120, 30fps photos with fast AF. Hexaconversion gain allows for amazing low light ability and extremely clean imagery at most ISO’s. All conversion gain readout at base iso allows for 17+ stops of Dynamic range. The pinnacle of imaging on an exmore sensor… More soon…

36mp would be be spot on coupled with 30fps.
Ahh, they drew me in with the rumour of a 50mp speed demon but alas it appears it was all pie in the sky :rolleyes:

You're a walking sony encylopedia, nandbytes! Thank you for that detailed explanation, very interesting. :)

Thanks, I know fair bit about Nikon too :D

Though I think all in all canon won the DSLR race.

I still have my A58, though it's on loan to a friend.

It's a nice body. Didn't like having a single control wheel. I keep nearly buying an old A-mount body again but I have kept my Minolta GAS at bay!

Thanks, I know fair bit about Nikon too :D

Though I think all in all canon won the DSLR race.

It's a nice body. Didn't like having a single control wheel. I keep nearly buying an old A-mount body again but I have kept my Minolta GAS at bay!
If the A99II had been £1500 used instead of >£2k for a good one then I'd not own an A7III now. Still using Minolta glass happily.

10% off on Sony gear at Wilkinson camera with code "SONY10". This includes the items than have cashback.
so for example you can get FE90 macro for £665 or FE20/1.8 for £755.

i think the offer ends on 31st Jan... as per my email anyway. I have bought a few things from them in the past and the customer service i.e. after sales support was great!

Last edited:
What ever it is I won't be buying it, it's always interesting though, anything on the A9 especially over time should filter down to the A7 I would imagine.

Well it has sparked my interest if high ISO is better then so should the lower 800/ 1600 iso not long now :)

Rob.

. Brilliant. captures. did you use af of manual focus
Normally i would manual focus but as i setup i found that a setting on my a9mkII made it zoom as i turned the focus ring so i switched to AF and was amazed that the focus found it and put a tiny green square on it.

Rob.

Reactions: mav
Back