The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I take it the 35mm GM is just as good as predicted? It was my most used focal length on my D5200, though that was cropped. After recently getting an A7iii - 85mm is definitely a keeper for me. I am liking the Tamron 28-75 but I am wondering if I would prefer a prime 35mm instead. And then complete the collection with a wide prime and a 135mm or above later down the line.

Off to Wales next week and hopefully a dark park. Bet you it will be cloudy lol.

I've got the next two days off. Its going to be cloudy :ROFLMAO: Ah well, woodland it is. Good thing about Wales in a way, there's always somewhere depending on the weather.

Ceredigion's a county and as such a big place.

Need to know where you'll be in Ceredigion and how far you're willing to travel for the dark skies
Not entirely sure yet as it will depend on how far my stepfather is willing to drive. Reckon maybe 1-1.5 hours drive from Lampeter.

Thanks for the later suggestion but that might be too far. I have noted down the following which are all an hour away.....

Elan Valley
Usk Reservoir
Cray Reservoir
National Botanic Garden of Wales

I bought instore yesterday morning, this morning I phoned ahead about the lens, emailed samples, and drove in to show them.

They did offer me a refund regardless of what they thought, not that they tested the lens.

I took the refund this morning :) sorry you may have missed that post.

Ah yes I saw the post about the refund, but then saw you later post this "London Camera Exchange won't entertain it" and thought they had reneged once you had arrived. Good to hear that they did in fact refund!

Forget it. Something wrong with the file sizes...

Last edited:
Not entirely sure yet as it will depend on how far my stepfather is willing to drive. Reckon maybe 1-1.5 hours drive from Lampeter.

Thanks for the later suggestion but that might be too far. I have noted down the following which are all an hour away.....

Elan Valley
Usk Reservoir
Cray Reservoir
National Botanic Garden of Wales

I can recommend the Elan Valley.

Ah yes I saw the post about the refund, but then saw you later post this "London Camera Exchange won't entertain it" and thought they had reneged once you had arrived. Good to hear that they did in fact refund!

I didn't think they would entertain trying lenses out to get a sharp one, however they have emailed me to say if i'd like to know when they get more in so I can try it to let them know.

So it seems like they are happy to do so!

I didn't think they would entertain trying lenses out to get a sharp one, however they have emailed me to say if i'd like to know when they get more in so I can try it to let them know.

So it seems like they are happy to do so!

most places are happy to do that
I think they will just send the lens back to sony as defective.

Perhaps try with a new lens on a sunny day with tripod and see how you feel about it. if you are still not getting the result, there's always the 400mm f2.8 + 1.4X :D

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

Times are hard so socks have to last.

rGwefO9.jpg

Imagine living with the sea at the end of the road. I don't remember making a conscious decision to take his at f1.2 so it must have been user error :D It's surprising how much is sharp though.

RQv2vxi.jpg

Perhaps try with a new lens on a sunny day with tripod and see how you feel about it. if you are still not getting the result, there's always the 400mm f2.8 + 1.4X :D

I keep thinking about it - though I have a feeling when I'm photographing 8 games of rugby/football and 6 games of hockey, the 400mm 2.8 will be a hindrance rather than a help.

I keep thinking about it - though I have a feeling when I'm photographing 8 games of rugby/football and 6 games of hockey, the 400mm 2.8 will be a hindrance rather than a help.
I don't understand why they haven't released a 400mm f4 for the more budget minded and those that don't have biceps like Popeye ;)

I don't understand why they haven't released a 400mm f4 for the more budget minded and those that don't have biceps like Popeye ;)

yes that would have been nice. would work great with 1.4x too.
but i am guessing a new one will still be around £6K

I thought that £659 I paid 6 weeks ago for the Tamron 28-200 was good but I’ve noticed it’s currently £628 at Amazon. Just wish they would drop the 17-28 to a similar price ;)

very nice price indeed. Paid around that much for a used one last year.

Still thinking of selling my tamron 17-28mm.... not yet made up my mind, let me know if you are interested ;)

very nice price indeed. Paid around that much for a used one last year.

Still thinking of selling my tamron 17-28mm.... not yet made up my mind, let me know if you are interested ;)
I’m hoping to pick one up new to get the 5 year guarantee. Just need to wait for one to come up at a good price. They were £719 in April last year so hoping they drop again.

I’m hoping to pick one up new to get the 5 year guarantee. Just need to wait for one to come up at a good price. They were £719 in April last year so hoping they drop again.
No worries. I'd sell for the same/similar price last couple sold for on this forum.
Totally understand wanting the warranty.
For a lens I feel I'm going to keep for a while I normally go for a new one with full warranty myself. I got the 200-600G and 35GM new.
14GM on preorder too. Think I'll keep these for a fair while and I appreciate having that warranty (2 years in case of Sony).

No worries. I'd sell for the same/similar price last couple sold for on this forum.
Totally understand wanting the warranty.
For a lens I feel I'm going to keep for a while I normally go for a new one with full warranty myself. I got the 200-600G and 35GM new.
14GM on preorder too. Think I'll keep these for a fair while and I appreciate having that warranty (2 years in case of Sony).
If i change my mind and become impatient I will let you know!

All I am testing is if the 200-600 lens is worth using instead of my 100-400, and it is not. Since I can crop the 400mm to match the 600mm with superior results.

I have both lenses Dan and prefer the 200-600mm for Wildlife I don't like the 100-400mm when the lens extends I prefer the internal zoom - not photographed Cricket but maybe I will give that a go

200-600mm @600mm

DSC00646 Stonecaht by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

I have both lenses Dan and prefer the 200-600mm for Wildlife I don't like the 100-400mm when the lens extends I prefer the internal zoom - not photographed Cricket but maybe I will give that a go

200-600mm @600mm

DSC00646 Stonecaht by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Lovely shot! (y)

Any cricket fans here?
@dancook - do you follow?
Was thinking of going to some matches this summer :D

Back