The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I thought so but Googling I couldn't see a cheaper one.

I suppose it depends... if you can find a cheaper one when you want an A6000.

I thought so but Googling I couldn't see a cheaper one.

I suppose it depends... if you can find a cheaper one when you want an A6000.
Like new boxed with 6 months warranty - £289

There a number of them on LCE from £240-280 in varying condition and some with the 16-50mm lens which alone will fetches £50-70 in sales.

Its a very nice lens, and if I didnt already have one id definitely buy it. Thats no comfort to Les, I know...

I've only used mine a few times. I bought it for a trip to London that had to be cancelled, I just fancied a reasonably fast prime wider than 35mm. It's maybe overlooked a little and maybe that's because it uses in camera corrections (I think) but it's the results that matter and I do think it's a nice lens at the price.

After a repair that made it worst I just got a refund for the sammy 18mm. Anyone want to sell me there good copy :rolleyes:.
On the paper it still is the best lens for me but I have to buy new from somewhere I can return in case of another dud one!

After a repair that made it worst I just got a refund for the sammy 18mm. Anyone want to sell me there good copy :rolleyes:.
On the paper it still is the best lens for me but I have to buy new from somewhere I can return in case of another dud one!

Samyang have just released a 24/1.8 which was pointed out to me for astro mainly. It was this issue you are having that put me off a little with their QC. Add in it's a new full price lens, buying UK for returns just incase, needing to buy a dock for firmware updates which seems to happen often, not much in the way of reviews/real usage..... I played it safe & went for the 20G for a couple of hundred quid.

My new sigma 35 F1. 4 DG DN arrived today, I had felt for a while my kit was quite on the long side and didn't have much in the way of a walk around/video lens, I had been worried by some of the review videos but so far so good :) just wish the weather would be a little better.

Samyang have just released a 24/1.8 which was pointed out to me for astro mainly. It was this issue you are having that put me off a little with their QC. Add in it's a new full price lens, buying UK for returns just incase, needing to buy a dock for firmware updates which seems to happen often, not much in the way of reviews/real usage..... I played it safe & went for the 20G for a couple of hundred quid.

24mm is too long for me. I get northern light were I live and 20mm is the longest I would go. I find 14mm becomes silly wide so 18mm might be just perfect.
just now there is no northern light as no real darkness anymore so I don't need one till sometime in august.

I want to use the refund money (and savings) to try find a sony 200-600 has that is a lens I would be using right away and a lot more.

Last edited:
24mm is too long for me. I get northern light were I live and 20mm is the longest I would go. I find 14mm becomes silly wide so 18mm might be just perfect.
just now there is no northern light as no real darkness anymore so I don't need one till sometime in august.

I want to use the refund money (and savings) to try find a sony 200-600 has that is a lens I would be using right away and a lot more.

I don't mind 24mm but as it's also replaced the Voigtländer 21mm I decided on the proven 20mm.

Samyang 18mm while a nice little lens I wouldn't buy it for astrophotography.

Walking on the beach this morning... not sure what happened but my tripod head bashed off my a7R IV screen. Smashed the screen protector. Was very nervous when removing the screen protector but the screen underneath was undamaged. Phew. I had a spare protector so have already replaced it, but just a reminder... either be careful or cover up!

Last edited:
Not the best corrected for coma (while it's not bad)
Also sharpness not great in corners at f2.8.

I thought that this was more an issue of quality control, some copies being excellent and others much less so.
My particular copy was awful across the frame and went back to Amazon so I'm looking for a replacement from a different manufacturer.
I think I'll be looking at the Tamron 17-28 for astrophotography and to complete my trilogy, the other two are excellent lenses.

Your best bet is to buy from Amazon as there returns process is top notch.

I returned 5 copies of the Samyang 24mm f/2.8 to Amazon in order to try and find a half decent one with no issues, the 6th one was fine for a while but started to have focusing issues later on down the line and I returned it to Amazon for a full refund 6 months later.

Realistically the best option would be to buy a better lens, Samyang lenses can be appealing due to the cheap price. As the old saying goes though "buy cheap, buy twice". Or with Samyang lenses it should be "buy cheap, buy at least a dozen times to find something half decent."

Your best bet is to buy from Amazon as there returns process is top notch.

I returned 5 copies of the Samyang 24mm f/2.8 to Amazon in order to try and find a half decent one with no issues, the 6th one was fine for a while but started to have focusing issues later on down the line and I returned it to Amazon for a full refund 6 months later.

Realistically the best option would be to buy a better lens, Samyang lenses can be appealing due to the cheap price. As the old saying goes though "buy cheap, buy twice". Or with Samyang lenses it should be "buy cheap, buy at least a dozen times to find something half decent."
I thoroughly endorse this, Amazon credited my account less than 48 hours after I posted my Samyang 18mm back to them with no questions asked.

I thought that this was more an issue of quality control, some copies being excellent and others much less so.
My particular copy was awful across the frame and went back to Amazon so I'm looking for a replacement from a different manufacturer.
I think I'll be looking at the Tamron 17-28 for astrophotography and to complete my trilogy, the other two are excellent lenses.

I have the 17-28mm is really good and I am very pleased with it. More so than the 16-35GM that I had (simply because its smaller, cheaper and not really any less sharp for most part).
I also have 14GM on pre-order (hence sold my 20G to Lee above).
So I am kinda debating if I should sell the 17-28mm or keep it....
But main downside of the tamron is its starbursts aren't as good as 16-35GM or even 16-35mm f4 or 12-24mm f4.

Last edited:
I have the 17-28mm is really good and I am very pleased with it. More so than the 16-35GM that I had (simply because its smaller, cheaper and not really any less sharp for most part).
I also have 14GM on pre-order (hence sold my 20G to Lee above).
So I am kinda debating if I should sell the 17-28mm or keep it....
But main downsize of the tamron is its starbursts aren't as good as 16-35GM or even 16-35mm f4 or 12-24mm f4.
Would the 16-35mm f4 work for astro?

Oh, I think I forgot the other day but on the 18th it was 5 years since Michael Reichmann died.

There's a short piece on The Online Photographer...

After his death...

Michael (and another guy who's name I forget, sorry) did some good articles and vids at Luminous Landscape and were fans of the Sony A7x system.

I don't know how they can win when the A1 has a known EVF sensor problem sure it's a great camera i love mine but had to buy a new eye cup add some tape with a small hole in it to make it work as it should.
Rob.

Its not just the A1 with this problem, A7C has this issue two.
They actually fixed this issue a while back on one of the earlier A7 bodies if i am not mistaken with a firmware update.

What's actually more worrying is the IBIS issues with A1 bodies
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfyXUcW0D0&ab_channel=JamiesonDean

This guy is quite active on dpreview where I met him. he's actually been very patient and helpful to anyone that talks to him.
So I don't think it's one of those internet FUD spreaders.

Having spoken to him, he seems to believe all the earlier bodies with serial numbers starting 337XXXX may have this issue and later batches starting 447XXXX haven't reported this issue yet.

@dancook - might be worth checking out your bodies too.

Last edited:
HELP!!! Knocked the left side knob with the H, M, BRK etc off the Sony A9 camera, have tried to push it back on but it is now very loose so anyone else had this problem and can advise a fix please? thank you, Russ.

I'm a little tempted to let my 18 go in order to pick up Les's 28 because I don't use it much. OTOH it's sharper and cleaner than the 12-24 that I would use instead, and it's super light to pack if I want wide angles and low weight.

HELP!!! Knocked the left side knob with the H, M, BRK etc off the Sony A9 camera, have tried to push it back on but it is now very loose so anyone else had this problem and can advise a fix please? thank you, Russ.

does it still work?
if it does may be its fine as it is?

does it still work?
if it does may be its fine as it is?
Hi, Can get it back on but will not stay on, looks like they use clue and don't want to go that road because with my luck:oops: :$, will leave it there. Contacted Panamoz and been advised to get it fixed through Sony UK and they (Panamoz) will refund the cost of repair as it is still under there 3 year G/tee, if all works out I think that is more than great customer service. Russ.

Hi, Can get it back on but will not stay on, looks like they use clue and don't want to go that road because with my luck:oops: :$, will leave it there. Contacted Panamoz and been advised to get it fixed through Sony UK and they (Panamoz) will refund the cost of repair as it is still under there 3 year G/tee, if all works out I think that is more than great customer service. Russ.
This is probably the best thing to do. Let us know how you get along with Sony+panamoz, would be interesting to hear a real world experience.

Back