The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They aren't giving away an awful lot about it are they....
I'm getting sick of this new trend of giving teaser about a pre-announcement for an announcement of the pre-release of the actual release of the camera
Is this your announcement about the pre-announcement of that announcement of the pre-release statement then :) ?

I like the look of those as well, mostly for the Aperture ring.

I received the 40mm F2.5 yesterday and I think it is a lovely little lens. Ideal for putting on my A7Riii and keeping in my work bag when I travel around the UK. I too like having an aperture ring. My only issue at the moment is the lens is so small that I am often turning the manual focus ring rather than or as well as the aperture ring. It is just a question of getting used to the size.

I like the look of those as well, mostly for the Aperture ring.

I keep looking at the 40, 50 and 24mm :D

I think the 24mm would make the most sense as I occasionally use film era 24's and even though I have the modern Sony 20mm f1.8 I could sort of justify a 24mm to fit between the 20 and 35mm f1.8's plus it is very compact and I do like going out with a two lens set consisting of a 24mm and a more standard 35, 40 or 50mm.

Nice - but £630 >? I'll stick to my 50mm f1.8 I think :)

I have the 55mm f1.8 which I've never really gelled with maybe because it's bigger than I'd like and I convince myself that see those extra 5mm. I'd be nervous of buying the 50mm f1.8 as afaik it used a cheaper focusing system and I'm worried it wont work well on my A7. I bought the 50mm macro, which afaik also has a cheaper focus system, and on my A7 the AF was completely unreliable so the lens went straight back.

I have the 55mm f1.8 which I've never really gelled with maybe because it's bigger than I'd like and I convince myself that see those extra 5mm. I'd be nervous of buying the 50mm f1.8 as afaik it used a cheaper focusing system and I'm worried it wont work well on my A7. I bought the 50mm macro, which afaik also has a cheaper focus system, and on my A7 the AF was completely unreliable so the lens went straight back.
It works well on my a7Riv and a7Riii :) Never owned a 55mm

It works well on my a7Riv and a7Riii :) Never owned a 55mm

I accept that the lenses with cheaper focus systems work better on the newer cameras otherwise these lenses would be slated in every review and they aren't but I'll probably be using my creaking old A7 until it dies and the few lenses that probably don't work well on it aren't attractive enough to me to get me to buy a new camera to use them on.

The 50mm macro was just awful. It would fail to lock on to a subject but do so after it was pointed at something else and then miss that something else when pointed back at it. It wouldn't hit the target consistently or even three times in a row and with peaking on I could see that the focus was way off and the camera would still lock on. It was just awful and all the problems went away when I took the lens off and mounted the 55mm f1.8. That experience has made ne very nervous of mounting lenses with the simpler and probably cheaper focus systems on my A7.

Last edited:
I accept that the lenses with cheaper focus systems work better on the newer cameras otherwise these lenses would be slated in every review and they aren't but I'll probably be using my creaking old A7 until it dies and the few lenses that probably don't work well on it aren't attractive enough to me to get me to buy a new camera to use them on.
Fair comment Alan, I bought my 50mm f1.8 to have in my bag as a walk about lens- looking for a 35mm now

Les :)

my kit today :)

Bodies
Sony a7Riv I have 2 of these
Sony a7Riii

Lenses
Sony 24mm f1.4 G Lens
Sony 24-70mm f4 lens
Sony 50mm f1.8 lens
Sony 85mm f1.4 G lens
Sony 90mm Macro f2.8 lens
Sony 70-200mm f.28 version
Sony 100-400mm G lens
Sony 200-600mm FE lens
Sony 1.4x Teleconverter

3 flashgun's Triggers
Carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod - Carbon fibre Benro monopod - Gimbal heads x 2

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice set.

I have the 35mm f1.8 and f2.8. The f2.8 is lovely and compact, I'd say that the f1.8 is fast to focus, sharp from wide open and the close focus ability is nice to have. I think its less good points are some ca with backlit scenes and par for the course and nothing better bokeh. I have taken some of my favourite pictures with it though, ditto the f2.8. The f1.4's probably give better bokeh but you pay for that in bulk and weight.

PS.
If I ever get a newer A7x a swapping my little used 55mm f1.8 for a 50mm f1.8 could be an option.

Last edited:
Thank you Aland- I may yet purchase the 20mm :) Maybe subject to wife approval of course

Les :)

I haven't used mine much but to me it (the 20mm f1.8) seems just about perfect. I bought mine to use now and again and to have if I ever get to go on my dream cruise to see the Northern Lights :D

The 50mm macro was just awful. It would fail to lock on to a subject but do so after it was pointed at something else and then miss that something else when pointed back at it. It wouldn't hit the target consistently or even three times in a row and with peaking on I could see that the focus was way off and the camera would still lock on. It was just awful and all the problems went away when I took the lens off and mounted the 55mm f1.8. That experience has made ne very nervous of mounting lenses with the simpler and probably cheaper focus systems on my A7.

I think that's what's pushing me towards a newer body is that I have some decent af lenses now and use mf a lot less.

It's okay, but I think I'd get more out of the lenses with a more advanced af system.

I think that's what's pushing me towards a newer body is that I have some decent af lenses now and use mf a lot less.

It's okay, but I think I'd get more out of the lenses with a more advanced af system.

All of my AF lenses are useable for what I do with my old A7 as it's all scenic or posed or slow moving even if more candid less posed stuff not faster stuff needing faster responses from the kit.

I keep dreading the day when my eyesight starts to go and MF isn't practical anymore but so far I'm still ok. I do keep looking at the biscuit tins full of lenses and thinking I should try and sell a few but then I think of the hassle and that I probably wouldn't get much for them anyway and end up just keeping them.

Last edited:
All of my AF lenses are useable for what I do with my old A7 as it's all scenic or posed or slow moving even if more candid less posed stuff not faster stuff needing faster responses from the kit.

I keep dreading the day when my eyesight starts to go and MF isn't practical anymore but so far I'm still ok. I do keep looking at the biscuit tins full of lenses and thinking I should try and sell a few but then I think of the hassle and that I probably wouldn't get much for them anyway and end up just keeping them.

Well, I'm saying that..... But I have some Yashica ML primes in my eBay watch list right now! But, I have been taking the film camera out a lot more lately so.....

I had the 50f1.8 and have the 55. TBH the AF of the 50 made the Samyang 50f1.4 that everyone complained about look pretty solid. By comparison the 55 is completely fine and excellent, but the extra 5mm is, as you say, a bit too much. I like mine and use it a lot, but wish it were a 50.

I haven't used human eye AF that much but I want to be better prepared for those times I might want to do a face portrait. I've had eye AF set up since getting my a6600 but didn't realise I could swap which eye to put the green box around at the touch of a button.

So I've just customised my C2 button on top of the camera and changed it from auto focus mode,

(which I usually change via the Fn menu but mostly keep it in AF-C these days ever since nandbytes says there's no real reason not to keep it in AF-C. He was right, it's been invaluable for me and I rarely use AF-S anymore ),

to 'switch right/left eye'. I had to also change left/right eye detect in the menu from auto to either left or right eye or the switching doesn't work. That C2 button feels like a good position as it puts my index finger almost directly over and in line with my AEL BBF button. I know you guys all know about this, I just think it's a really great feature. :)

Do many of you use the zebra stripes? I was thinking of enabling them but not sure if I'll find them too distracting for anything other than landscape. Do you recommend setting it to 100 or 100+? On a video I just watched, the person said he uses 100+ as it only shows stripes for areas really at risk of being clipped. I tried it and it does seem less distracting.

Anyone know how Sony A mount lenses perform on the newer bodies?

I know I would have to use some sort of adapter but I have seen an A mount Sigma 300mm DG EX f/2.8 at a decent price and was wondering how the af would be.

There's a new LA-EA5 adapter that uses the in-body AF system and should give good AF, but that depends on the lens being compatible, and a Sigma lens may not be able to work, or work so well, or indeed at all if it requires screw drive.

The other alternative is the LA-EA4. This is essentially the A mount SLT system in an adapter, and it will work like a typical A mount body from 4-5 years ago complete with screw drive i.e. focus is reasonably fast and accurate, but with limited AF points and no eye detection. I have one of these adapters, and it's fine for what it was designed to do. I use it with my older Minolta system lenses plus a couple of more recent ones (Sigma 12-24 and Tamron SP90 macro).

Focus with the LA-EA3 is generally reckoned to be slow and requires SSM lenses.

We ended up getting my oldest a A6000 for a gift and while in the shop they also done us a deal on a 2nd hand a6000 that i had. As much as I enjoyed using it (had a XE1, XE2 and GX7 so like the form factor) It did feel a bit small with nowhere for my pinky to go. When I had a XE1/2 I had a L grip on it but couldn't find one for the 6000. I did find a UUrig video cage on Amazon down to £12.95 for a 6300/6400 and thought I would give that a go. I didn't need all of the cage so cut it about a bit to get what I wanted. I like how it has came out and now just needs a coat of paint on the edges to clean it up a bit.
20211008_163644 by matt barton, on Flickr

20211008_163801 by matt barton, on Flickr

20211008_163602 by matt barton, on Flickr

The other alternative is the LA-EA4. This is essentially the A mount SLT system in an adapter, and it will work like a typical A mount body from 4-5 years ago complete with screw drive i.e. focus is reasonably fast and accurate, but with limited AF points and no eye detection. I have one of these adapters, and it's fine for what it was designed to do. I use it with my older Minolta system lenses plus a couple of more recent ones (Sigma 12-24 and Tamron SP90 macro).

Thanks it looks like the Sony A version is screw drive only unlike the Canon which is HSM. Limited AF points and no eye detection means it's not a worthwhile purchase for me which is a shame at less than £600.

We ended up getting my oldest a A6000 for a gift and while in the shop they also done us a deal on a 2nd hand a6000 that i had. As much as I enjoyed using it (had a XE1, XE2 and GX7 so like the form factor) It did feel a bit small with nowhere for my pinky to go. When I had a XE1/2 I had a L grip on it but couldn't find one for the 6000. I did find a UUrig video cage on Amazon down to £12.95 for a 6300/6400 and thought I would give that a go. I didn't need all of the cage so cut it about a bit to get what I wanted. I like how it has came out and now just needs a coat of paint on the edges to clean it up a bit.
20211008_163644 by matt barton, on Flickr

20211008_163801 by matt barton, on Flickr

20211008_163602 by matt barton, on Flickr

Nice work. Looks great!

The Knife Angel is currently paying a visit to Chesterfield at the moment. Impressive structure, scary to think all these knives and been seized :oops: :$

A9_06445-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

A9_06366-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

A9_06463 by TDG-77, on Flickr

A9_06397-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

A9_06470 by TDG-77, on Flickr

A9_06465-2 by TDG-77, on Flickr
Scary how some many are just standard kitchen knives although probably the easiest to get hold of. I guess it’s sitting on a high plinth out of the reach of people.

Bet it’s a H&S nightmare trying to transport and install it with all those sharp edges!

I had the 50f1.8 and have the 55. TBH the AF of the 50 made the Samyang 50f1.4 that everyone complained about look pretty solid. By comparison the 55 is completely fine and excellent, but the extra 5mm is, as you say, a bit too much. I like mine and use it a lot, but wish it were a 50.

I'm glad it's not just me and my imagination.

Do many of you use the zebra stripes? I was thinking of enabling them but not sure if I'll find them too distracting for anything other than landscape. Do you recommend setting it to 100 or 100+? On a video I just watched, the person said he uses 100+ as it only shows stripes for areas really at risk of being clipped. I tried it and it does seem less distracting.

I find them too distractive too. I've read that they were or maybe are more of a video related thing but I don't know if that's true or not as surely video shooters get distracted too.

If I'm talking of the right stuff the highlight zebra, I have them on 100+ too on my A7iii. I did check in lightroom and it does match the real over-exposed bits. If you set to anything lower it is really too conservative.

Thanks Alan and Thomas. I'll try 100+ and see how I get on.

I think I have mine day to something like 107+ read somewhere that's ideal for the latest Sony sensors as 100 isn't actually blown.

Scary how some many are just standard kitchen knives although probably the easiest to get hold of. I guess it’s sitting on a high plinth out of the reach of people.

Bet it’s a H&S nightmare trying to transport and install it with all those sharp edges!
No, there's a waist height barrier surrounding it at the bottom, that's it. I would assume the knives are well 'stuck'.

Thanks it looks like the Sony A version is screw drive only unlike the Canon which is HSM. Limited AF points and no eye detection means it's not a worthwhile purchase for me which is a shame at less than £600.

You can use the Sigma MC11 adapter with canon mount to get the in-body features.

No, there's a waist height barrier surrounding it at the bottom, that's it. I would assume the knives are well 'stuck'.
I was thinking more of idiots cutting themselves by touching it rather than trying to steal the knives. I’m sure theres someone who’d be surprised that knives are sharp. After all we have to put ‘warning contents hot’ labels on coffee cups!

The rumor guy says he's getting more A7IV info by the hour so I'd guess that an announcement could as rumoured come pretty soon.

I wonder how this will compare to the recent competition. Not that it matters for me :D
100% of the comments below that article are about the video performance. Personally, I really don't do any video.

I wonder how many people really do "video" and really need the whatever they are talking about 4k-10bit-.....
I find if I take a video I'm happy enough with a smartphone, I'm never looking at doing amazing stuff that look pro.
Even for wedding I found video super boring.

I don't know why but when I take a photo I can get lost in pixel peeping and scrutinising the whole thing under a microscope.

100% of the comments below that article are about the video performance. Personally, I really don't do any video.

I wonder how many people really do "video" and really need the whatever they are talking about 4k-10bit-.....
I find if I take a video I'm happy enough with a smartphone, I'm never looking at doing amazing stuff that look pro.
Even for wedding I found video super boring.

I don't know why but when I take a photo I can get lost in pixel peeping and scrutinising the whole thing under a microscope.
Same I find video super boring, I think there comes a point where videos look good and anything less just looks rubbish and you may as well do it on your phone or take photos.
First thing I did on my A7C is repurpose the video button.

I was thinking more of idiots cutting themselves by touching it rather than trying to steal the knives. I’m sure theres someone who’d be surprised that knives are sharp. After all we have to put ‘warning contents hot’ labels on coffee cups!
Ahh yes, don't get me started on that :ROFLMAO:

@nandbytes saw you're selling your A7C, didn't want to put this in that thread but are you aware you're trying to sell it higher than you can buy it new? Especially off putting to people that you even say you got it from such places. Just saying.

Back