The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

On the subject of trading in. Can anyone suggest a dealer who'd be willing to take my film era lenses. I have a lot. I was thinking of Ffordes as they're the only ones I could think of.
There's not many around that'll give you a fair value.
I've not had good experience with ffordes and would greatly avoid them.
I suggest trying to sell them slowly on this forum and/or eBay. Unless you need the money immediately with a bit of patience you might be able to move on a lot of them and then trade in the remaining.

On the subject of trading in. Can anyone suggest a dealer who'd be willing to take my film era lenses. I have a lot. I was thinking of Ffordes as they're the only ones I could think of.
Harrison’s take film era gear, I find their valuations hit and miss though.

Last edited:
There's not many around that'll give you a fair value.
I've not had good experience with ffordes and would greatly avoid them.
I suggest trying to sell them slowly on this forum and/or eBay. Unless you need the money immediately with a bit of patience you might be able to move on a lot of them and then trade in the remaining.

Unfortunately there seems to be very little interest here except at extreme knockdown prices and me paying the postage, I have pretty much zero confidence in selling them here at any worthwhile price but that could be because there is no demand generally. I'll give it a go... but even though someone posted a want for a film era lens I have I still couldn't get a bid. I've never sold anything on ebay but have heard so many horror stories that I don't think I want to. Unfortunately I'm not on facebook or similar.

I tend to make sun pure white when it is just a little higher because we perceive it this way. What else could it be?
When it is at the horizon level I want to at least to have the option, and particularly when there is some atmospheric haze rendering it deep orange and even red, as perceived by the naked eye. This becomes more important with longer lenses.
If you print on glossy papers you must have noticed issues with white areas coming out in different gloss, i.e. the original paper gloss. Having some colour mitigates that issue.
The sunbursts and area adjacent to the sun shouldn't go to pure yellow., i,e, red pixel signal saturation. This can be also true of sRGB files proofed for AdobeRGB, i.e. when you can't be bothered to produce more than 1 version and I'm too lazy for that. sRGB clips red and cyans much much sooner.

The specular highlights really become a problem when there are clouds or light reflections in the water and they tend to need a very good buffer with the brackets sometimes many stops down - I just play it safe. One of my custom modes on each of my cameras is 5 step bracket in 1 2/3EV or 2EV increments. So I don't have to even think: Set C2 and just press the shutter and deal with it at home.

There has been a big improvement in shadow handling over the decade, but highlights are still nearly as problematic no matter what camera you pick. When a pixel reaches well saturation it is game over for that pixel and it looks crap. They need to implement a reset counter or full well timer; we may just see Global Shutter get there one day. Until that we just need to deal with it.

This is potentially how: -3EV may be 1 or 2 stops out from the ideal 2nd exposure, and there is no -4EV should you need it. For majority of the area it will likely be suboptimal. Your data may just survive treatment at base ISO but you are leaving information and IQ on the table while going through the same exact effort. Maybe some denoise is not a big deal but if you raise the ISO (moving foliage, or shoot handheld - yes that's very possible in demanding situation), or shoot a moving object like a body of water and you will see noise or very different rendering, respectively.

If you really wanted to be super frugal with exposures and do it in 3 the ideal sequence may be more like BASE, -1 2/3, -5. These are the statistically most useful points. But you can't do that unless setting up each shot individually and risk minor tripod or head movement by doing so unless using the app.

Finally this is an insurance policy. First frame may have tripod shake or wind related movement. So next one is 1.6ev down, not 3ev down so that's still OK. Or you messed up with your base exposure. Also happens.

As I said before I like to have 20+ stops for high DR scenes, and I can (and do) throw out anything I don't need.
I rarely print, and I just go with what looks right and natural to me. I don’t make a habit of looking directly at the sun for obvious reasons but I do know the majority of time it’s too bright for our eyes to see and so it looks like a blown out circle. It’s only sometimes you get the very red/orange low luminance sun.

They knocked £23 off mine. That seems such an odd amount. Why not £25 or a percentage of the valuation that makes sense?

I have spent thousands with them over the years but I think I'll only do so in the future if they offer the best price or the only buying option. Otherwise someone else will get the sale as it looks like this downgrading may be a thing with them.
I think they are turning into Jessops tbh.
They used to be really good when it was just the one or two shops.

I was in one of them recently to trial the A7RV and the people there couldn't care less about the cameras they were selling and knew nothing about them.

Unfortunately there seems to be very little interest here except at extreme knockdown prices and me paying the postage, I have pretty much zero confidence in selling them here at any worthwhile price but that could be because there is no demand generally. I'll give it a go... but even though someone posted a want for a film era lens I have I still couldn't get a bid. I've never sold anything on ebay but have heard so many horror stories that I don't think I want to. Unfortunately I'm not on facebook or similar.

eBay is fine, sales can go bad anywhere including on here, doesn't mean the whole system/place is bad.
As far as I can see he ones you have listed here has only been listed recently. I am not sure how quickly you want them sold but I was thinking spending 6 months-ish minimum to get it all sold (of course you may not have that much patience behind it)

Last edited:
I think they are turning into Jessops tbh.
They used to be really good when it was just the one or two shops.

I was in one of them recently to trial the A7RV and the people there couldn't care less about the cameras they were selling and knew nothing about them.
eBay is fine, sales can go bad anywhere including on here, doesn't mean the whole system/place is bad.
As far as I can see he ones you have listed here has only been listed recently. I am not sure how quickly you want them sold but I was thinking spending 6 months-ish minimum to get it all sold (of course you may not have that much patience behind it)

Thank for all this.

Not sure if this helps anyone Used A1 at LCE £3599 (I know brand new grey import is under £4k now)

Not sure if this helps anyone Used A1 at LCE £3599 (I know brand new grey import is under £4k now)

They have been selling for £3.5k on mpb for a while, looks like they've sold all of them now. They had 5-6 copies at once point.
Was really tempted because I could get additional 5% discount too... But decided to go with A7RV

Last edited:
Have been thinking of getting a used 24 1.4 gm, LCE have 9 in stock. Just 1 x 35mm gm and no 50mm 1.2 or 1.4.

Is / was everyone selling their 24 mm gms for any particular reason

Have been thinking of getting a used 24 1.4 gm, LCE have 9 in stock. Just 1 x 35mm gm and no 50mm 1.2 or 1.4.

I seem to remember people swapping from the 24mm GM to the 20mm G

Reactions: nog

Not really it's just a lot older than others I think. Plus there's other lenses to consider - unless you really want that f1.4 I can also recommend samyang 24mm F1.8 or the sony 20G

Reactions: nog
Except me :ROFLMAO:

But also that Samyang 24/1.8 is supposed to be pretty good.
I had the Samyang 24mm f1.8, it was very good, and no decentering ;)

Except me :ROFLMAO:

But also that Samyang 24/1.8 is supposed to be pretty good.

I also think 24GM is a much better overall lens.

In order of my preference
24GM
Samyang 24mm f1.8
Sony 20G

Unless you really want that 20mm wider focal length in which case the list is reversed :D

I'm thinking of upgrading my A7m3 for the A7V or A1. Or a total move over to the Z8.

I'm thinking of upgrading my A7m3 for the A7V or A1. Or a total move over to the Z8.
I picked A7RV, better suits my needs overall - smaller body, more pixels, better IBIS, better EVF, better lens selection (apart from telephotos where Nikon is really ahead).

I am still undecided on the telephoto/wildlife front... but at the moment I am more shooting travel, landscapes and low light.

I picked A7RV, better suits my needs overall - smaller body, more pixels, better IBIS, better EVF, better lens selection (apart from telephotos where Nikon is really ahead).

I am still undecided on the telephoto/wildlife front... but at the moment I am more shooting travel, landscapes and low light.
I understand, however I find the ergonomics and workings better than the Sonys. Even a z6ii feels much improved. Shame Nikon botched the focusing on that as it's ideal IMO.

Depends what you want to shoot, I’d obviously choose the A1 but can see the appeal of the A7RV if you don’t mind blackout.

The Z8 looks great but Nikon’s lens lineup doesn’t have what I want.

I understand, however I find the ergonomics and workings better than the Sonys. Even a z6ii feels much improved. Shame Nikon botched the focusing on that as it's ideal IMO.
Z6/7 feels really nice indeed and better than Sony bodies. Doesn't quite apply to Z8 IMO.
Z8 just feels bloated and too big for me to use it as my main body.

Depends what you want to shoot, I’d obviously choose the A1 but can see the appeal of the A7RV if you don’t mind blackout.

I think when the A1ii comes out it will be the first "do-it-all" for me.
Of course won't be able to afford one.... but may be in 10 years time it will be cheap enough to buy it :D

I agree about the A1 with the better focusing and 30fps and that it can be an all rounder but 10fps is ample for me as I dabble in wildlife and landscapes hopefully now I can get back to it soon. However knowing that lenses maybe an issue, I do like the Nikon’s.

Z6/7 feels really nice indeed and better than Sony bodies. Doesn't quite apply to Z8 IMO.
My thoughts exactly which makes the fence the most comfortable place at the moment even though it's very frustrating.

I think when the A1ii comes out it will be the first "do-it-all" for me.
Of course won't be able to afford one.... but may be in 10 years time it will be cheap enough to buy it :D
What do you want that the A1 doesn’t do?

With Fuji and Nikon now having retro dial cameras I wonder if Sony will do one too? It'd be a doddle to do, surely.

What do you want that the A1 doesn’t do?
8stop IBIS, fully articulating LCD, focus bracketing and as silly as it sounds customisable dial instead of the exposure compensation dial.

Ideally I'd want these features also:
pre-capture buffer like on A9III (with RAWs)
long exposure live view like oly bodies

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly which makes the fence the most comfortable place at the moment even though it's very frustrating.
yeah I totally understand. I was on the fence for a long time...
but I have two trips coming up and two more in planning. most of this happens Fed-August this year.
So I thought I might as well make the jump now and make use of the new body.

The size of Z8 is definitely off-putting for me to take with me on travels. So that made the decision easy for now.

With Fuji and Nikon now having retro dial cameras I wonder if Sony will do one too? It'd be a doddle to do, surely.
I much prefer retro style cameras, but functionally the A1 is the best camera I’ve had. All features I want are at hand with a single button press.

If Sony could make their cameras look pretty whilst maintaining functionality it’d be a win win but I can’t see it happening, I don’t think any of their current lens lineup are in keeping with a retro style camera.

I wouldn’t say Fuji and Olympus lenses are retro in style but they don’t look out of place, I think Sony lenses would.
8stop IBIS, fully articulating LCD, focus bracketing and as silly as it sounds customisable dial instead of the exposure compensation dial.

Ideally I'd want these features also:
pre-capture buffer like on A9III (with RAWs)
long exposure live view like oly bodies
Those would be nice features but not something I require. My ‘fear’ is that all future bodies will have a customisable exp comp button but this means it will have no markings which for someone like me who uses it as exp comp means it’d be a step backwards.

I much prefer retro style cameras, but functionally the A1 is the best camera I’ve had. All features I want are at hand with a single button press.

If Sony could make their cameras look pretty whilst maintaining functionality it’d be a win win but I can’t see it happening, I don’t think any of their current lens lineup are in keeping with a retro style camera.

I wouldn’t say Fuji and Olympus lenses are retro in style but they don’t look out of place, I think Sony lenses would.

Those would be nice features but not something I require. My ‘fear’ is that all future bodies will have a customisable exp comp button but this means it will have no markings which for someone like me who uses it as exp comp means it’d be a step backwards.

I started out thinking that the A7 looked like it'd been made in a garden shed but I quickly came to like it and I don't have any handling issues with it. I'll be sorry to have to replace it with one of the bigger redesigned models.

You're right about the current Sony lens line up but at least some do have aperture rings now and of course a Voigtlander might look very nice on a retro styled A7.

I just wondered. It would surely be easy to do it.

Absolutely the reverse. If you have me z6 or z7 I would eBay it on day 1. Worst shapes ever.

Z8 would be actually very nice if it had less plastic. Z9 is really it

I started out thinking that the A7 looked like it'd been made in a garden shed but I quickly came to like it and I don't have any handling issues with it. I'll be sorry to have to replace it with one of the bigger redesigned models.

You're right about the current Sony lens line up but at least some do have aperture rings now and of course a Voigtlander might look very nice on a retro styled A7.

I just wondered. It would surely be easy to do it.
I’d imagine it’s very easy to do.

Absolutely the reverse. If you have me z6 or z7 I would eBay it on day 1. Worst shapes ever.

Z8 would be actually very nice if it had less plastic. Z9 is really it
For you may be, for others not.

Looks like Nikon is done with z6 shape. Good decision
From what I’ve seen the Z6III will be an evolution of the body rather than a complete rework, I guess a bit like the Sony bodies over the years.

For me the best handling body I’ve used is the Z7, I was also a huge fan of the EM1-II. I know a lot of people like bodies such as the D850 but I always preferred the handling of the D750. I don’t like bodies such as the D6 and Z9.

It’s surprising really as I have big hands but I don’t like the big bloated bodies.

Whilst cameras like the X-T5 and Nikon Zfc are lovely to look at they really don’t feel good in the hand imo.

From what I’ve seen the Z6III will be an evolution of the body rather than a complete rework, I guess a bit like the Sony bodies over the years.

For me the best handling body I’ve used is the Z7, I was also a huge fan of the EM1-II. I know a lot of people like bodies such as the D850 but I always preferred the handling of the D750. I don’t like bodies such as the D6 and Z9.

It’s surprising really as I have big hands but I don’t like the big bloated bodies.

Whilst cameras like the X-T5 and Nikon Zfc are lovely to look at they really don’t feel good in the hand imo.
I'm the same. It's not like I have small hands but I just don't enjoy simply carrying heavier larger things just for the sake of it.

Back