The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone here got the Samyang 45mm f1.8 ? I have been offered one for £200 but not sure how much I'd use it !

Anyone here got the Samyang 45mm f1.8 ? I have been offered one for £200 but not sure how much I'd use it !
I have it. It's a nice lens, renders nicely and good AF. Feels a bit cheap but does the job.

I'm really pleased with mine - sounds as if there's variation between copies!

Maximum ISO -

Out and about on this very grey very damp morning- I saw this digger and thought I wonder how that would look at max ISO on my a7Riii+ my 200-600mm G lens so why not have a go?

Its at ISO 102,400 and owing the the light behind it was f16 @1/8000th sec :)

IOQGaVU.jpg

Les :)

Last edited:
How does that compare, do you think to the Sony 85mm G lens??? ( I have one and I'm just curious)

Les :)

Seen one video where its faster, more accurate to focus and sharper. Nicer colour tone to my taste too.

I think it's a fabulous lens- I love it for Portraits etc - never been a fan of 3rd party lenses to he honest :)

It is okay for the money, its better than the Sony 50 f/1.8. Nothing to write home about though.

Probably Samyang's best effort in terms of a.f lenses so far.

Don't think I would risk a used one though given the usual Samyang's issues.

Think I only paid about £230 for mine using one of the eBay coupon offers.

The heatwave may continue elsewhere.

1BXoNNO.jpg

I didn't capture the almost biblical nature of it. I opened the backdoor for just as long as it took to take a few snaps and then had to mop the kitchen floor. Shame about next doors washing.

Oh, er, A7 and Nippon Kogarku 50mm f2.

Last edited:
It is okay for the money, its better than the Sony 50 f/1.8. Nothing to write home about though.

Probably Samyang's best effort in terms of a.f lenses so far.

Don't think I would risk a used one though given the usual Samyang's issues.

Think I only paid about £230 for mine using one of the eBay coupon offers.
That's a good price. Got mine on offer from LCE or £269.

Just had an awesome week in Pembrokeshire (annual thing for us), a weird combination of spectacular stormy weather and perfectly flat seas. Tamron 2.8 combo for me on the a7RII, 28-75 (top) and 70-180mm (bottom).

Saundersfoot by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Saundersfoot by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

As I`m nearly jumped to Sony I`ve been looking at the RIV or another A7 Mkiii as I will be getting two more lenses, as want the 90mm macro and the 24-105mm. But these are with the A7 + 35mm f1.8 today.

Flower Power by Dave, on Flickr

Had a Mooch by Dave, on Flickr

Camaflage by Dave, on Flickr

Another couple of shots from my couple of hours spent with the local model flying club.
With the second image I thought it would be interesting to replace a plain blue sky with something more dramatic.
Both shot with the A7RIV and GM 100-400mm - just makes a change from my usual bird images!

7R400530 - 2020-08-08 at 11-18-25 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

7R400515 - 2020-08-08 at 11-15-18 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

I thought it was a real plane before reading your post! Great models and pics.

Anyone have a decent guide to make photos in to paintings in photoshop or a cheating no effort Lightroom preset?

Anyone have a decent guide to make photos in to paintings in photoshop or a cheating no effort Lightroom preset?
There certainly used to be a plethora of pre-sets for this purpose - search for “painterly effects”. Not come across any recently, but then again I’ve not been looking.

If you go to the Adobe create site there are a couple of photoshop actions you can download for free one which will turn your picture into a watercolour and one which will make a pencil sketch out of them.

Took the kids and the Tamron 70-180mm to a local country park today to give the lens a proper test. I knew the lens was good but didn’t know it was that good!

Having the extra reach in such an open space is brilliant, especially when you have kids who don’t like to be photographed. I love the compression it gives at 180mm and carrying it around is no more bulky than my Sigma 24mm or 50mm Art.

Last edited:
Took the kids and the Tamron 70-180mm to a local country park today to give the lens a proper test. I knew the lens was good but didn’t know it was that good!

Having the extra reach in such an open space is brilliant, especially when you have kids who don’t like to be photographed. I love the compression it gives at 180mm and carrying it around is no more bulky than my Sigma 24mm or 50mm Art.

I just took mine on holiday for a week with the 5 year old and it was brilliant, in my little Domke bag and never had to debate taking it out or not, I've not had that much flexibility since the days of the wonderful APS-C Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 on my D90.

DSC02713 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
If you go to the Adobe create site there are a couple of photoshop actions you can download for free one which will turn your picture into a watercolour and one which will make a pencil sketch out of them.

thank you!

A few from Sheffield Park last weekend, all with the 24-105 and SOOC. Im liking the social distancing needed to visit National Trust properties, If you can be bothered to try for tickets every Fri Morning, it is a much more pleasant experience with the reduced numbers.

50232732468_d9d04dccf5_h.jpg

50233600482_da34e0c271_h.jpg

50233383561_104e211e08_h.jpg

A couple taken out on my friends boat on Saturday. Interesting taking photos from the boat as it rocks back and forth and not allowing for someones driving/steering:eek: One with the Samyang 35mm 2/8 that was on Amazon for £140 new recently and the other with the 85mm Viltrox, both on A7ii.

Jenny by Anthony Kenny, on Flickr

boat by Anthony Kenny, on Flickr
£140 for a new Sammy 35mm? Wow :eek:

Back