The book and zine making thread

I really need to pull my finger out and get a zine ready for the upcoming zine swap. Does anyone have an idiots guide as to how best to create the pages I need to send to the printer (I'm planning on using Mixam)?

I have the following software to hand:

Lightroom CC
Photoshop CC
MS Publisher

I set something up using MS publisher, but can only seem to get it to output a PDF of the full booklet, not the individual pages, which is what I believe I need for Mixam.

I'm not looking for some sort of graphic design masterpiece for this first attempt, just a basic one-image-per-page layout will be fine for now (with a cover and maybe a bit of text for each photo).

Addinity Publisher looks pretty good, but I don't want to splash out on that (it's arounf £50 at present) until I know I'm likely to make continued use of it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.:)

I set something up using MS publisher, but can only seem to get it to output a PDF of the full booklet, not the individual pages, which is what I believe I need for Mixam.
I output my PDFs for Mixam as the complete zine.

So long as the PDF is displaying single pages (or can do according to how you set it) then the complete file should work at Mixam. Once uploaded to Mixam there is a flip-thropugh preview available which should show you how it will look once printed. If not you can delete it from Mixam and start again. (y)

I must get something sorted for the October swap too...

In other news I have just had an email as I type this reply to say my poultry book sample is on its way. :)

guide as to how best to create the pages I need to send to the printer

I do it differently to Dave and make the pages individually. Allows me to swap things around.

In Lightroom:
- Export all your candidates as full size jpegs with PP complete to a desktop folder. Let's assume 25 images.

In Photoshop:
- Create a new blank document the same size as your page (A5)
- Import all the images into PS. I think dragging them into the document will add them all as layers, but if you end up with 25 tabs, just copy/paste them into one document.

You want to end up with your background layer as well as 25 layers that are all your images.

- Create a folder in the layer stack and drag all the images into it. By doing this, if you decide to apply drop shadows, bevelling, or borders to your images, you can attach the layer style to the folder which will auto-apply to all the images and save lots of repetition.
- Mask all the images apart from the one(s) you want on the first page. (click the eye icon thingy on the layer)
- Arrange/crop the images, add text, whatever.

- Save the page as "page-1.pdf"

- Hide those images, and then un-hide the image(s) for the next page. Save as page-2.pdf. Repeat. The good thing here is that if you're using text boxes as image descriptions, you can just change the text and keep the formatting, positioning, layer styles etc.

If you want to get really fancy, Mixam will auto layout your book by taking any file named....

front cover.pdf (as the front cover)
inner front cover.pdf (as the inner front cover)
page-3.pdf ( as the 1st facing page when you open the zine)
page-4.pdf (as the next page etc etc...)
back cover.pdf (as the back cover)

It's also worth creating "blank.pdf" as a page you can drop in to fill any blanks or add as spacers as Mixam zines have to be in multiples of 4 pages (just make multiple copies of it renamed to "page-23" and "page 24" for example. If you create a folder with all your pdfs in it and all the pdfs are named correctly and precisely divisibly by 4, then your life will be much much easier when you come to use Mixam.

Edit to add : I need to get my finger out too.

Last edited:
In other news I have just had an email as I type this reply to say my poultry book sample is on its way.

When you get that published ping me a link to your store page :)

We picked up 2 Marsbars at the weekend. My wife has decided to call them Twix & Snickers. The rest of the girls are very uppity about it.

When you get that published ping me a link to your store page :)

We picked up 2 Marsbars at the weekend. My wife has decided to call them Twix & Snickers. The rest of the girls are very uppity about it.
Still got a lot of work to do on it after I see how the test book looks, so it'll be a week or two. Maybe more. I might have prolems with the pictures which bleed off the page as I spotted that Mixam had automatically added a 'mirrored bleed' to the PDF as I'd forgotten to add it to the PDF on export. For my Phragmites zine they just increase the page size to cover the bleed.

I've heard of Legbars and Welbars but not Marsbars!

ETA - Poultry test should be here tomorrow. :D

Last edited:
I do it differently to Dave and make the pages individually. Allows me to swap things around.

In Lightroom:
- Export all your candidates as full size jpegs with PP complete to a desktop folder. Let's assume 25 images.

In Photoshop:
- Create a new blank document the same size as your page (A5)
- Import all the images into PS. I think dragging them into the document will add them all as layers, but if you end up with 25 tabs, just copy/paste them into one document.

You want to end up with your background layer as well as 25 layers that are all your images.

- Create a folder in the layer stack and drag all the images into it. By doing this, if you decide to apply drop shadows, bevelling, or borders to your images, you can attach the layer style to the folder which will auto-apply to all the images and save lots of repetition.
- Mask all the images apart from the one(s) you want on the first page. (click the eye icon thingy on the layer)
- Arrange/crop the images, add text, whatever.

- Save the page as "page-1.pdf"

- Hide those images, and then un-hide the image(s) for the next page. Save as page-2.pdf. Repeat. The good thing here is that if you're using text boxes as image descriptions, you can just change the text and keep the formatting, positioning, layer styles etc.

If you want to get really fancy, Mixam will auto layout your book by taking any file named....

front cover.pdf (as the front cover)
inner front cover.pdf (as the inner front cover)
page-3.pdf ( as the 1st facing page when you open the zine)
page-4.pdf (as the next page etc etc...)
back cover.pdf (as the back cover)

It's also worth creating "blank.pdf" as a page you can drop in to fill any blanks or add as spacers as Mixam zines have to be in multiples of 4 pages (just make multiple copies of it renamed to "page-23" and "page 24" for example. If you create a folder with all your pdfs in it and all the pdfs are named correctly and precisely divisibly by 4, then your life will be much much easier when you come to use Mixam.

Edit to add : I need to get my finger out too.
In Lightroom's Print module you can layout standard paper sizes and export as jpegs. I've done this a couple of times to make simple layouts when I've wanted to add date captions to the pics from the EXIF data of the files. Then you can slot the jpegs straight into a document to fill the page.
spread04d.jpg

It's arrived. The bleeds worked out all right. Running pics across two pages works better for some pictures than others so I'll have to consider those carefully or ditch them. The wording on the spine looks good too. So it's all systems go to lay it out, write an intro and tidy up the acknowledgements.

DSC_2555.jpgDSC_2554.jpgDSC_2556.jpg

It's arrived. The bleeds worked out all right. Running pics across two pages works better for some pictures than others so I'll have to consider those carefully or ditch them. The wording on the spine looks good too. So it's all systems go to lay it out, write an intro and tidy up the acknowledgements.

View attachment 288681View attachment 288682View attachment 288683

Dave, thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this (not to mention the cost!) Have a virtual socially distanced :beer:

Dave, thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this (not to mention the cost!) Have a virtual socially distanced :beer:
No problem. I've done it to save me wasting even more money when I have the book complete. This means that I have a better chance of the finished article being just the way I want it. Theres something I've already spotted which needs addressing. :)

The preview of this shortened version is here - https://mixam.co.uk/share/5f1fd1c3149a0d4525cc2615

No problem. I've done it to save me wasting even more money when I have the book complete. This means that I have a better chance of the finished article being just the way I want it. Theres something I've already spotted which needs addressing. :)

The preview of this shortened version is here - https://mixam.co.uk/share/5f1fd1c3149a0d4525cc2615

How did the double spread with central tables come out?

Better than I expected. But on a bigger page count it might not open out so well.View attachment 288685

Thanks for posting, the reality is that across two pages it will always have far more impact than a smaller image on a single page - Quite a few of the Collated Observations Zines from ADM Publishing have spread images, and they are perfect bound and despite the across binder distortion/slight loss of image data, they work really well.

Without going to an (expensive) custom solution , ie fold out pages or large format, there will always be limitations, its just working with/around them thats the key.

Thanks for posting, the reality is that across two pages it will always have far more impact than a smaller image on a single page - Quite a few of the Collated Observations Zines from ADM Publishing have spread images, and they are perfect bound and despite the across binder distortion/slight loss of image data, they work really well.

Without going to an (expensive) custom solution , ie fold out pages or large format, there will always be limitations, its just working with/around them thats the key.

I think the trick is use it only with pictures which benefit from being seen larger. The tables one does because there's a fair bit of detail. The egg inspection picture less so, but it balances the three small pictures better that way as on a page to themselves they might look a bit lost. That's one spread I'll have to play around with I reckon. Good job I enjoy that kind of problem solving.

I really need to pull my finger out and get a zine ready for the upcoming zine swap. Does anyone have an idiots guide as to how best to create the pages I need to send to the printer (I'm planning on using Mixam)?

I have the following software to hand:

Lightroom CC
Photoshop CC
MS Publisher

I'm not looking for some sort of graphic design masterpiece for this first attempt, just a basic one-image-per-page layout will be fine for now (with a cover and maybe a bit of text for each photo).

Addinity Publisher looks pretty good, but I don't want to splash out on that (it's arounf £50 at present) until I know I'm likely to make continued use of it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.:)
Black and White or Colour? It really matters. MS publisher is fine for B&W but useless for colour because it outputs RGB PDFs not CMYK

oh and :eek: upcoming zine swap :jawdrop: OMG I had sort-of forgotten about that

This is hard work! I keep finding 'gaps' that need filling - pictures which will help the flow that's developing. My head's spinning after two hours solid. Time for a break and come back to it later when I and the day have cooled down a bit, I reckon.

layout.jpg

Blimey this has been hard work! I'm nearly there at 92 pages plus cover! The text still needs writing and I'm going to run that by a poultry friend to make sure I get the club names and any other technical details right.

I'm thinking of getting an A4 black and white copy made at Doxdirect for about a tenner. Thoughts on this?

Having a hard copy would give me a better idea how things look and the flow of pictures. And help spot if I've put any pics in twice. It might also make it obvious if any can be left out.

It was definitely worth getting the black and white 'rough' copy done with Doxdirect. Having the colour PDF converted by them to greyscale has reduced the quality of some pictures, but there's a spine on the stapled copy which makes it feel more like perfect bound. On the home straight now.

_DL35604.jpg

Final editing and sequencing done. A few changes made, glitches tidied up (I Hope I've got most of them). Total of 88 pages plus cover, 102 photos. Which is four pages less than the rough copy, and I still wonder if I've been ruthless enough.

Now the really hard part - writing the few paragraphs of text without going over the top.

Just got to rewrite one sentence for the intro and it'll be time to order a copy or two to make sure everything works out OK. I know what I'm trying to say but don't like the way I'm saying it. A bit like some of my photos!

In the meantime here's an annoying little gif for social media. :LOL:

spreads.gif

That one sentence is proving a bugger!

Does this read OK?

"I hope the selection of pictures which fill the pages of this book provide an insight into the poultry showing scene for those who are strangers to it while striking a chord with poultry enthusiasts."

It's quite a long sentence. I've made a small edit below which I think makes it read a little easier. Personal preference though (and I'm not a grammar expert :) ).

"I hope the selection of pictures within this book provide an insight into the poultry showing scene for those who are strangers to it while also striking a chord with poultry enthusiasts."

You could maybe lose the second instance of the word poultry too.

It's quite a long sentence. I've made a small edit below which I think makes it read a little easier. Personal preference though (and I'm not a grammar expert :) ).

"I hope the selection of pictures within this book provide an insight into the poultry showing scene for those who are strangers to it while also striking a chord with poultry enthusiasts."

You could maybe lose the second instance of the word poultry too.

Cheers. I'd missed the repetition of poultry.

How about:

"I hope this book provides an insight into the poultry showing scene for those who are strangers to it while striking a chord with members of the fancy."

"I hope this book provides an insight into the poultry showing scene for those who are strangers to it while striking a chord with members of the fancy."

Late to the party, but my version would add a comma and remove 2 more words. I don't know much though :)

"I hope this book provides an insight into poultry showing for those who are strangers to it, while striking a chord with members of the fancy."

Late to the party, but my version would add a comma and remove 2 more words. I don't know much though :)

"I hope this book provides an insight into poultry showing for those who are strangers to it, while striking a chord with members of the fancy."
Ta.

I had that apostrophe in an earlier version but not being to hot on grammar I took it out. :)

I'll leave the 'scene' in because there are pictures of egg shows too.

Last edited:
Uploaded yesterday. Sat on it overnight, rechecked the preview this morning and spotted and corrected a glitch. Any I've missed are there for good now. Bullet bitten.

If I don't post about this again it'll be because it's all gone Pete Tong. :coat:

Doing a small zine is far less nerve-racking. Until you start trying to do a wraparound cover.* :LOL:

* I think I've worked that one out, but it took me weeks.

The big day arrives!

I put off opening the package until I could face the disappointment of a major cock up...

But joy. It looks like a real book. :D

_DL35678-2.jpg

Lessons learned:
  • Getting dummies made is worthwhile as they give you a better idea of how the book will feel as an object.
  • The more pages there are the less good running a picture across a spread works - I'm glad I cut those down to two full ones and a partial one.
  • You can get away with noisy or slightly out of focus pics if you print them small.
The Mixam flick through preview is here - https://mixam.co.uk/share/5f4e821ad8afc97627bbe00d

Good stuff Dave.
Mind you I could never get my head round that shot of the person measuring the size of the eggs. I kept identifying it as a portrait that had been turned Into a landscape and then when turned, it looks the opposite. My brain just finds it difficult.
Well ordered and shows a lot of the detail that one sees at such shows.
How much is that one per copy?

Good stuff Dave.
Mind you I could never get my head round that shot of the person measuring the size of the eggs. I kept identifying it as a portrait that had been turned Into a landscape and then when turned, it looks the opposite. My brain just finds it difficult.
Well ordered and shows a lot of the detail that one sees at such shows.
Thanks. I tried to sequence it loosely as if from the start of the day through to the end, but split the birds and the eggs. It could probably have ended up at least as half as many pages again!

I've not settled on a price yet as I'm working out packaging and postage prices, and stuff. There'll be a 'mates rate' available when I've got that sorted. ;)

Great stuff - that's really impressive, and genuinely inspiring.

Must get back on to the computer and check over the zine that's been marinading on there for great to long now...

I think that's a great piece of work Dave. The images hang really well together as a set and certainly tell a story.

Some really good stand-alone pics in there too.

I think that's a great piece of work Dave. The images hang really well together as a set and certainly tell a story.

Some really good stand-alone pics in there too.
Thanks Pete. Six years of chicken madness to get there! :LOL:

A box has arrived from Mixam. All that remains is to settle on a fair price :thinking: and do the blatant self-promotion job. :exit:

Mixam suggested adding lamination to the cover and I think it was worth it. I also got some Thank You cards done. They'll come in handy for something even if I end up stuck with the books I've got. :LOL:

A sneak preview of a few pages - https://issuu.com/dlst/docs/poultrydigital

_DL35689.jpg

_DL35691.jpg

I've settled on a price including postage of £14.40, with a discount available for members of local poultry clubs. Maybe a bit steep? TP 'mates rate' £9.00 posted 1st class giving me a huge 9p profit!

Back