The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

I like the simple things. I use center point and tap that where I want it to focus. For real close up macro I found auto mode works a treat.
I am struggling with macro at the moment, just can't seem to get as close as I would expect to be able to. A bit hit and miss really, although I am not very heavily into close up photos.

I am struggling with macro at the moment, just can't seem to get as close as I would expect to be able to. A bit hit and miss really, although I am not very heavily into close up photos.

It's not the best a macro tbh. I found a close up and a crop works well.

It's not the best a macro tbh. I found a close up and a crop works well.
Just been trying close ups, I seem to get better results indoors. Trying in both normal and macro mode. Seems OK somewhere about two to three inches distance. Still more testing to do. :)

Been doing some photos of the missus around the house, high ISO straight out of camera. Very pleased with the images, skin tones look good even at very high ISO. :)

Wanted to get plenty of people in the picture, ended up trying something new ....

Screen up, camera upside down above my head, back against a bus shelter, I'm looking up and no-one knows or cares.

2wCJBXFXVMNfcXuIykD7zgVl7VolnP3k2_5kUS-_qCwE0hX2f1lYsXKGFoNuHaHTu6trKBiPm4Uc0vWi32At3l-gGhmobOIqp4aln2rOr7o7MI0JjYmib8DHzrm-Ucu4IqskffMfWuRllOFAHciiuP5_tw73d5I0VTHUSfeveYMgqecvTN_ritow_698_1Mm-XqTA4X1zZHFFsTcEorh832mXdSvQJpYH3PtQYQpCUQNinW6M6sXlEG4PJeJsIiysktzGSd_DoNNyjdNg9UTdgcjJf-XNs7tlmR5wNhniYHu0eDqD1iZDVhRNn0ZTGkltq1ze78vcFeygpIuzCVhGp53eNlSzbHrqhLo42hxtAeDTrScUTFjm-qKVUGQ-KKcVuQxxXphsJpYdfSLjIrf0qcWqDwZqGFXU-JTkkaHzwB2asmrArigVSg6FVsU34kxznSl1wmeLF6LTxvZKLTvAJGYTTL4TZ-BUQs7pwmgOq9W9KCYCA8pRxB9saZ4vZud2-6a5UX-KSAzbWe77OjQTjpBwMcZx6orK750_-MH5tLEgvAd8S6UgqXaR-HLJQNB7n7L5LRWNE4gxN2uppDC1Ya9go2l_4uDmBmeuQQ=w1776-h885-no

Wanted to get plenty of people in the picture, ended up trying something new ....

Screen up, camera upside down above my head, back against a bus shelter, I'm looking up and no-one knows or cares.

2wCJBXFXVMNfcXuIykD7zgVl7VolnP3k2_5kUS-_qCwE0hX2f1lYsXKGFoNuHaHTu6trKBiPm4Uc0vWi32At3l-gGhmobOIqp4aln2rOr7o7MI0JjYmib8DHzrm-Ucu4IqskffMfWuRllOFAHciiuP5_tw73d5I0VTHUSfeveYMgqecvTN_ritow_698_1Mm-XqTA4X1zZHFFsTcEorh832mXdSvQJpYH3PtQYQpCUQNinW6M6sXlEG4PJeJsIiysktzGSd_DoNNyjdNg9UTdgcjJf-XNs7tlmR5wNhniYHu0eDqD1iZDVhRNn0ZTGkltq1ze78vcFeygpIuzCVhGp53eNlSzbHrqhLo42hxtAeDTrScUTFjm-qKVUGQ-KKcVuQxxXphsJpYdfSLjIrf0qcWqDwZqGFXU-JTkkaHzwB2asmrArigVSg6FVsU34kxznSl1wmeLF6LTxvZKLTvAJGYTTL4TZ-BUQs7pwmgOq9W9KCYCA8pRxB9saZ4vZud2-6a5UX-KSAzbWe77OjQTjpBwMcZx6orK750_-MH5tLEgvAd8S6UgqXaR-HLJQNB7n7L5LRWNE4gxN2uppDC1Ya9go2l_4uDmBmeuQQ=w1776-h885-no
Sounds awkward, but the results look interesting. :)

Thanks John .... not too awkward ... it makes me a foot taller and I can see over the heads of some of these people. :)

Aye, I knew you'd say that. ;) ... There's a busker playing to the right, the guy on the bench (boyfriend?) tapping his foot, is idly gazing over, pleased to see a crowd forming, I'm hidden in the middle of it all :)

G3X owners are not even heard of.. think I may be the only one here. I'd risk starting my own thread but fear it would be ever lonely......

Aye, I knew you'd say that. ;) ... There's a busker playing to the right, the guy on the bench (boyfriend?) tapping his foot, is idly gazing over, pleased to see a crowd forming, I'm hidden in the middle of it all :)
Great that you are getting out, and getting stuck in. I have yet to really get out in town with it, and hunt down those interesting shots. :)

You guys are making this thread your own,:D
I am sure everyone is welcome to contribute, even if they don't have a G7X ;) .
G3X owners are not even heard of.. think I may be the only one here. I'd risk starting my own thread but fear it would be ever lonely......
Is there not a thread already been made? If not, make a G3X thread, maybe others will join the chat. :)

You guys are making this thread your own,:D
Welcome SsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSnake

If you're thinking of investing in a new camera, please let us know. :snaphappy:

I used to always use my Fuji X10, and I would often visit the X10 thread. But the thread dried up, as people changed their cameras. I would have joined in the higher end Fuji / Nikon / Panasonic / Sony threads, but funds were limited. I was prepared to stretch to a Canon G7X, so that is the thread I am stuck with.

I do hope this thread does keep flowing nicely, and maybe get even more content. :)

I'm pleased you like "street" John, it's not to everyone's liking. If you're going to try it, a spot where the buskers go is a good place to start, then shoot others that are around. I find the four on the bench (above) makes a far better image than the busker. :)

And you've got the camera for it ... hold it down with the screen up. Sometimes I hold it at 90 deg. to my body so I'm standing side-on to the subject.

Last edited:
I'm pleased you like "street" John, it's not to everyone's liking. If you're going to try it, a spot where the buskers go is a good place to start, then shoot others that are around. I find the four on the bench (above) makes a far better image than the busker. :)

And you've got the camera for it ... hold it down with the screen up. Sometimes I hold it at 90 deg. to my body so I'm standing side-on to the subject.
I do like hustling and bustling street scenes, I don't seem to see any busy street scenes anymore.
Thanks for the tips. :)

Been using the little G7X for video, I am very pleased with the video quality from the little camera. Been wondering, is there any real benefit to the dial being in video mode, as opposed to any other mode?

Been using the little G7X for video, I am very pleased with the video quality from the little camera. Been wondering, is there any real benefit to the dial being in video mode, as opposed to any other mode?
Wasn't sure I understood the question at first, as I don't do video! But just had a look and yes you can shoot video with the mode dial on any setting, but I did notice that when set to movie mode before you hit the red button hit Func Set and you have a lot less option than you would in some other mode like Av for example. Now more confused. :D

Last edited:
Was testing the ND Filter yesterday, and it seems I've been underrating it, only using it for long exposures till now.

I shot a car with sun reflections with & without ND then checked the blinkies ... big difference, an area about five times bigger was blown without ND filter use.

I'm going to leave it on permanently now and turn off when not required, otherwise I forget to use it.o_O

Never tried the ND filter for reflections but used it a few times for slowing the shutter down to get some movement in water. Both of these are hand held on bright sunny afternoons.

Love that first image, great compo and the shutter speed looks just about right. (y)

Wasn't sure I understood the question at first, as I don't do video! But just had a look and yes you can shoot video with the mode dial on any setting, but I did notice that when set to movie mode before you hit the red button hit Func Set and you have a lot less option than you would in some other mode like Av for example. Now more confused. :D
In the user manual, there is not a great deal of info regarding video. But seeing the video is so good in any mode, probably not much need to faff about too much.

Was testing the ND Filter yesterday, and it seems I've been underrating it, only using it for long exposures till now.

I shot a car with sun reflections with & without ND then checked the blinkies ... big difference, an area about five times bigger was blown without ND filter use.

I'm going to leave it on permanently now and turn off when not required, otherwise I forget to use it.o_O
I find the ND filter a nifty little feature, pretty good on bright sunny days.

Been out this morning, trying some close up photos of insects and flowers. The G7X is a tricky little thing for close up photos, probably try again tomorrow. Not too fussed really as I intended it for family and pet photos, an area where it produces great images.

20023-1528567842-161c069c36b12cd2a2372a40e3553454.jpg

Really love this little camera, fits neatly in the hand. I am having a lot of fun with it. :)

Been out this morning, trying some close up photos of insects and flowers. The G7X is a tricky little thing for close up photos, probably try again tomorrow. Not too fussed really as I intended it for family and pet photos, an area where it produces great images.

I'm not really one for taking pics of flowers, but here's one from a while back, it's quite tiny and I picked it, put it in water and shot it at F/1.8 on full zoom with our OOF fireplace in the BG. Then I cropped a lot and sharpened a lot in post.

1lwNvt64HjclzQ4MECezrc_U9mtI4r688I-Xu10zJauoi3Yc_BpVIn2UzEUNkzhS6ywbnNy_zJwwR1q9BnK9Ryg5y-z8HgCNvQFi61TTHCAlwXu8Ue4YIcsCp5-YZK77sFSHYJopwYz_Kw7PB5y8zhQoO9E9kX3O_vn-DoWgaFIhhEZ0zy8uGb5TtI13z7t_Fn0ieqaYmvvBUPsHXKexH46x_uQgxcv0r_7v608UJJF2kdjW0f9i87v7p9BDpUP3QLE7-vMnfrZcAQxD718tjSEHXqmwFKHaA-P_PPIv0T-C-KeUIVOu9hyxh1L4CHv5f2vzVariC28cuQCPi8mVwlxqm_7pSiF-3p-UOTVccGtE49wwUpPdXc_4haauEdnfsn3-Z7MsCbVYTb9uZhTGZtscRse_AQ0Fr3Iij_wZUzS6PriMM3fTXmnorF9Qdp-MUXlg7S4xfVHE8gtxAN1ZI_PSieTFATCfay1qXdP_Dk4Sk34tgdEY6Ux1XMEDEKkZdxGnYK4GduIs9z-2wpDaa8MaFsZPwqtqYfnCxTSzJPkKiZ-wvyHbdDKH0jXrqUH83GYTl2QxUKbFNXfoiFS5LtHL9Oj4YCszRKAMQME=w1169-h885-no

Last edited:
I'm not really one for taking pics of flowers, but here's one from a while back, it's quite tiny and I picked it, put it in water and shot it at F/1.8 on full zoom with our OOF fireplace in the BG. Then I cropped a lot and sharpened a lot in post.

1lwNvt64HjclzQ4MECezrc_U9mtI4r688I-Xu10zJauoi3Yc_BpVIn2UzEUNkzhS6ywbnNy_zJwwR1q9BnK9Ryg5y-z8HgCNvQFi61TTHCAlwXu8Ue4YIcsCp5-YZK77sFSHYJopwYz_Kw7PB5y8zhQoO9E9kX3O_vn-DoWgaFIhhEZ0zy8uGb5TtI13z7t_Fn0ieqaYmvvBUPsHXKexH46x_uQgxcv0r_7v608UJJF2kdjW0f9i87v7p9BDpUP3QLE7-vMnfrZcAQxD718tjSEHXqmwFKHaA-P_PPIv0T-C-KeUIVOu9hyxh1L4CHv5f2vzVariC28cuQCPi8mVwlxqm_7pSiF-3p-UOTVccGtE49wwUpPdXc_4haauEdnfsn3-Z7MsCbVYTb9uZhTGZtscRse_AQ0Fr3Iij_wZUzS6PriMM3fTXmnorF9Qdp-MUXlg7S4xfVHE8gtxAN1ZI_PSieTFATCfay1qXdP_Dk4Sk34tgdEY6Ux1XMEDEKkZdxGnYK4GduIs9z-2wpDaa8MaFsZPwqtqYfnCxTSzJPkKiZ-wvyHbdDKH0jXrqUH83GYTl2QxUKbFNXfoiFS5LtHL9Oj4YCszRKAMQME=w1169-h885-no

Nice clear photo, I will get out and try more close up photos. :)

F/1.8 on full zoom, are you sure that is possible? :thinking:

Nice clear photo, I will get out and try more close up photos. :)

F/1.8 on full zoom, are you sure that is possible? :thinking:

Woops sorry .... it went up to 2.8 as I zoomed.

EDIT ... in other words, it stops down.

Last edited:
Just been trying out the flash on the G7X, had it tilted and had some shots with ND filter enabled. Used the ceiling of the bathroom as it is a nice brilliant white, images look pretty good.

Just found this thread having recently acquired one of these handy little things. Not really used it much yet, but some great ideas and inspiration here. Are my days of lugging the lump (my 5DIII ..... ) around getting numbered, I wonder.

Just found this thread having recently acquired one of these handy little things. Not really used it much yet, but some great ideas and inspiration here. Are my days of lugging the lump (my 5DIII ..... ) around getting numbered, I wonder.
Hiya @Withers , welcome to the thread. :)

There will be times when our DSLRS come in handy, and be the preferential choice. Such as when friends and family come over, I may use the DSLR. As I will not need to cart it about, just follow people around the garden. :)

Just found this thread having recently acquired one of these handy little things.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your results.

Welcome Withers. Yes please post interesting G7X results on here with relevant camera setting info if poss. (y)

Are my days of lugging the lump (my 5DIII ..... ) around getting numbered, I wonder.
I still lug around my D5300 + 18-200mm (300mm equiv) as the G7X doesn't have a great reach but reach isn't everything. :D

Back