The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Anyone tried i-Contrast ... a thing I've just sussed out on my G7X?

In picture viewing mode, click Menu, scroll down to i-Contrast, Func Set, then using touch screen you can lift the shadows.

I tried it ages ago with no luck because I thought it was a Raw Processing tool, but it works on Jpegs only. :)
Can't seem to see it. I am looking at image, but when I press menu, it just brings up the menu. Picture viewing mode, what, display image?

I usually use Aperture Priority and love the fact that you can change aperture using the clicky control wheel
around he lens.

I've never tried video so would be grateful for advice regarding the best settings to use.

Thanks,
AL

I usually use Aperture Priority and love the fact that you can change aperture using the clicky control wheel
around he lens.

I've never tried video so would be grateful for advice regarding the best settings to use.

Thanks,
AL
It is pretty good for video, the touch screen functions during recording. You can adjust exposure by dial, or tapping screen and touching - or +, to change brightness. Can also touch focus, while doing video. I usually use 50fps and fine detail picture setting. I leave it in aperture priority when doing video, I don't bother using full manual.

I don't think I'll be using the touch function - at least not for a while ;)

around he lens.

I have mine set to stepped zoom, and the little wheel on the rear set to aperture control.

I don't think I'll be using the touch function - at least not for a while ;)
It can be handy for quickly choosing the focus point, something I use often. It can be a pain, when accidently touched.

Can't seem to see it. I am looking at image, but when I press menu, it just brings up the menu. Picture viewing mode, what, display image?
i-Contrast .... it's about tenth down on the playback menu. .... or ... try searching i-Contrast in the manual.

i-Contrast .... it's about tenth down on the playback menu. .... or ... try searching i-Contrast in the manual.
I have looked in the manual, I can't see any mention of I-Contrast. Just looked in the camera play menu, it goes from 1 to 6 , but I can't see it there. But I will keep looking. :)

I have looked in the manual, I can't see any mention of I-Contrast. Just looked in the camera play menu, it goes from 1 to 6 , but I can't see it there. But I will keep looking. :)
Ah ... I've got a g7x mk one ... must be different in that respect. And I was googling stuff earlier and think I saw something about Raw processing on camera. Now my new Panasonic GX80 does this but not sure my G7X does.

Ah ... I've got a g7x mk one ... must be different in that respect. And I was googling stuff earlier and think I saw something about Raw processing on camera. Now my new Panasonic GX80 does this but not sure my G7X does.
I was starting to think the mk 1 maybe slightly different to the mk11. ;)

I've got something similar to that but looking for an 'ever ready' style.

Apparently not - it just slips over the lens. Must remember to remove it before powering up though.

I have noticed with the G7X, sometimes when I take a photo, when image is displayed briefly, the colour changes slightly. It is though WB correction is being applied. Sometimes image looks better for a second, but when it changes, it can sometimes have a slight yellow cast. This happens in both Jpeg and RAW settings, and I use auto WB.

EDIT:

I have not noticed this, when custom WB is set.

Just another thought.
This does not always happen, only sometimes. So maybe it is under certain light conditions, such as indoor lighting.

Last edited:
Found it now!
I've just been looking but couldn't find the answer. How's it done?

I was going to suggest focusing before framing ... which I do a lot, but it effects the metering.

Last edited:
Shooting Menu - Assign Ring Funct Button - AF Frame Adjustment

The manual is crappy ;)

After assigning the Ring Func button when you need to move the frame press the Ring Func button!

Like it says on the tin really ;)

You use the front dial to resize the frame. Press MENU to re-centre the frame.

Last edited:
After assigning the Ring Func button when you need to move the frame press the Ring Func button!

Like it says on the tin really ;)

You use the front dial to resize the frame. Press MENU to re-centre the frame.

OK thanks, but I think I'll stick with touchscreen.;)

I have noticed with the G7X, sometimes when I take a photo, when image is displayed briefly, the colour changes slightly. It is though WB correction is being applied. Sometimes image looks better for a second, but when it changes, it can sometimes have a slight yellow cast. This happens in both Jpeg and RAW settings, and I use auto WB.

EDIT:

I have not noticed this, when custom WB is set.

Just another thought.
This does not always happen, only sometimes. So maybe it is under certain light conditions, such as indoor lighting.
.... hadn't noticed that. But I have noticed that AWB doesn't work so well on my G7X as it does on my D5300 in certain places like under the glass roof of the British Museum.

I rarely alter the ISO but will find the ability to move the focus frame extremely useful.

If the Function button is set for ISO, and the touch screen is disabled, I am not sure how you would alter the AF frame. I looked in the manual, but could find nothing relevant. There should really be an AF button for this.

Back