The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Post note: I'm getting convinced this is not possible - however I can set AF to continuous and then let the camera always focus on the single centre AF point. Then just press the shutter button to take the shot.

I found a post on DP Review which says it is possible. Unfortunately the writer
didn't say how to do it!

I would send am email to Canon Support - they should be able to tell you.

I also read that post, that was what caught my eye originally. The poster there mentions AFL not AF on. I might ask Canon but I'm getting very doubtful about it.

Have you looked through the different menu options in Assigning Functions to Controls?

I'm not familiar with the G3X Duncan

... but the G7X has focus options in two different places

Menu ... Servo AF on/off ... Continuous AF on/off

Control Dial ... Continuous or Continuous AF

Have you the same or similar and have you tried different combination?

I have tried most combinations of settings, I'm going to have another play tonight. It doesn't seem to have a way to assign AF-ON to the 'S' button though unfortunately

I took some local parkrun photos today with the g3x. I set it up in manual mode pretty much like I would do with my 70D: f5.6 1/1600, Auto ISO, IS off. Here's a link to my Flickr album for them:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmp7wNdf

They've been through LR using my standard preset for these events which purposely over saturates to pop on mobile phones. They could have been brighter mind.

It did a pretty good job, I'm still on a steep learning curve with it. It will never be on a par with my 70D for sports but as an all rounder it was great. The zoom was brilliant. High ISO wasn't the best, but even at 2000ish it was ok.

I used the EVF and it was a massive boon, I couldn't have taken them without it.

I'll try some other scenarios next time out.

Last edited:
Good work, liking the colour saturation plus I'm a sucker for the OOF BG which this lens seems to do well with half body shots.

......reason for having IS off?

I turned IS off because it seemed to cause a delay before the shot and meant I could miss the focus due the runner moving towards me in the time it took to stabalise. I kept the shutter speed up above 1/1000 also which meant it wasn't needed.

I turned IS off because it seemed to cause a delay before the shot and meant I could miss the focus due the runner moving towards me in the time it took to stabalise. I kept the shutter speed up above 1/1000 also which meant it wasn't needed.
I've never noticed that!
Do you have (like the G7X): IS Setting ... Shoot Only or Continuous?

Last edited:
It has the same settings. I'm still on a steep learning curve with what works best for my shots but both seemed to have a (very short) delay but long enough to miss focus on a moving object. I'll do more refined checks next time out.

It has the same settings. I'm still on a steep learning curve with what works best for my shots but both seemed to have a (very short) delay but long enough to miss focus on a moving object. I'll do more refined checks next time out.
We're all on the learning curve. I'd never before considered the difference between Shoot Only or Continuous ... and I'm still confused.o_O

G7X @ Sainsbury's today...

oRMza7YoYdjwDeLwpjGtV12T_-uA39igUHZwf_HJJFJX0wRqcS58_Zi4D2bZk1psNudXhp8fC1ixtWj1eNlgX4erU_BsUH59kh9XrY_cZnfx3DhKMhDPFvQfXXxdgLsZSK1B1JOwCJXcduRJTs9nMeXRRC9cc-QX7I35d5xjbVMw8rnkPP3SHdI8HQTazm1GQWzNYqoeXPPCWDJ9pMwXs6AXZSLrBEll0Bk1dWf9y0tp9zfe372mgAvmKK-3ez19GC6BooP0AoO4THlC8rDfFHIEBACRIjoykazaO8r0wnyqDs7eiDtUBaNmrKUdZy_qtyDeNU4mw2lcIVLmYjwsS9-Z1HR8ggq_06SlP1JAG5dvur2AFRhs8mic3SdtszP893DmBYGTwEao0kDNul6oOD3jGb9yCnWPHDRDlYZopFJ55NRTPNYcJYmwr9My8jPLheh7DwokipEUawJpBP1GaBVAoMeYgX9M9yWNnpVqf9G0voQdVXw7R6ogEJDA-6WdbSUB8dT0dKsfKVrRJkucBcrzBNz-v9BeuNCVx6t8IgkBVv21cj8aR1L7Wc6YO_KmYWTfpfv0XlB9C5DoiAvU0yLpZptd7IX_RLhnIZ0iijXQxBiq2GOnxI7RSny6IMLa4oAtANopfn8f1G5bewMfj-qP3RB7bNcD=w1283-h882-no

M9jzmIKEeGTJ_Omtp_L8UV7hAUpzUcUVrdhvz_Mwwj_g1h9bS5RhX_eLX-dZeyGKQ4CkFHIz3LPuTQyqH8G43Wp4za2bRjHtfhdTjAKvHihOxrH25ku-u6yBrejKUgGDQCg17fnRFhT5hk6emwew489wFzcqvBmgjnkMv-GpwZ95Zy5v9G3VfqNfl6i1x4weiY374jRgqghdSmXkJZ4VmGVku40gfh5zPUfB3Yd59lUPR0N0g5X-xMQImzQOROrpiiJI-aj2JcDD0-F67QosYA--YxH-_lJTCNz4CEE4wa18VUt1ENyQPKpR67oFTDB9902evjaappPoYiJKl54Rfjp87TGIZlSIYEix0OEjcGWoigr1ADuGj4ZkCJMkh0gwrn9J-HXpPr3NwvxK8Y-x4VESZWIwBF6K6mbO3P6Rghhfov-v6Er4psQFx3IogPIGlCodrEElfeHQe4L2AjwUstk885LqSlLnQIxRqH77rCnIfxsocSiXkv_jBAmP1pLcgraAGIIST-S1vXdnpPEdRKQhQBPGUgvzSFOhIbNK1wgV_HZQjzIHr3MRrp-LhS154QSdHm66RdvJsfLN5JJuNkUzJ8bpmRbB1dBYi4_zGiuvPg8pnki3ECID7dbXmNZ4fWZh21lpw2g13YiQqXoytLc6u8YnINnZ=w1619-h882-no

Am I the only one who's a tad grossed-out by the "hairy wheel"? ;)

Love the composition on the trolley-wheels - great spot. Weirdly, it reminds me of the Riverdance folk lining up to dance..... (don't worry, I'm off now )

Am I the only one who's a tad grossed-out by the "hairy wheel"? ;)

Love the composition on the trolley-wheels - great spot. Weirdly, it reminds me of the Riverdance folk lining up to dance..... (don't worry, I'm off now )

Warts 'n all. ;)

Here's couple more I've just "Metalized" ....

aXghnYd6nNlxzxdHnIM1Eh8OdZBWyOb7ocA0lQcgYIOojzkFVvYzMUQStVgjJRDfGdZONf6L3NhTcad9qbepLrFZU6rHL6pd7rVjU4hkvQQ1Uy4bHP_nWIHvribTRQIeo9Y59s9XcHCUJle6nvCDVKswPrkubdtUK-3z0pSUybCrva522tpRGksj2GwQubFFrzr_3d6fyDpcKZjTDU37vsfOP0flBEgUne3u9RarSinWDdZDgU-iai-ewGb7K660LJ2yXGvYQN_Z4h5Xs7VblJ_jBD0Pli_uALeTdTnp73xYL-qjtDYhagYDG9PKS6xEsvGkt5JKoAI0CHNVnZEjv-cMy8UIuw7aCeiiBYNv9znRyDpeQLiDTqRHUBdRFQN4mAJ8u3PknuiQqZYkyH1eSQvL4s42IQL5o5gIHxOmcRJ2VKTZHHFiXq3NJLq8XECAqkJmQHr1BWxmbWHMZBJNXU2iHDPcyzXMTQ4lnDjJeLmdbAkcHhUuc5d0OqCA43TzLWehmI5W_cMquai0yAnvzfYgtXKUpYecqT6GF5CTaqZEfRpOQDkSilJtDwYQY-WGJB_afW2bxJ38Z1oL877B0dlRz7myxrcTl5nf2HzNdROk6GqqLNXbBTOG9HXtKt5fJ21CsQMvvMw6iMKbDJs-HxjkhbkJcRXu=w1920-h827-no

uNBJSuM55fNiB04G_6bPT0J6BO_OF7CD1p_mZxFjrasdrrjqa89f6Jmmx3GXPn3ITLeOkqH4JkygI0BKSmD5QCxP8a2VZa2q3FNn_lKdd01SOZS01HdGGTv0JihB1655744NHqwRkryR8hYjzRaht60fmzhGngRfs2MJp2z0bTSLlJNr2sEwsBrk7rdH3FyJMwhuZwuOE9XGy-jOQ2O_H28w1TaN-JLGpu7xag6x0oliX9_9SovVBun2u5pE1gD5jojP-NLBRxCT7A217pnhuoFekU6_0qX0F1Qem9JfAq6hMOFkFZAevf_OiYF0xyt8Iezb2l5-TmedB-aFMoWUXGFK5i-0rblu9wBqeHJ8nD6Wvt6rHYBu1c85ta_2vybbVSHLXuw1nZR2jEq1eFubNur73z3ripjLorQiDkfwQuJgLVvFtrJocub6RW4DaVh-jwcgeBXN1I80vmG4ATHa6lKmP7xxNgUIbXJqJkmNF2lSjT1SyiG1hWuyZowpy1r9pSaJnKmRoj8D3NAGPbHKo4XlOrnDwLTAqf-XxaUl_A5e0qrgDEOy64naQo2_6VDlXR7RlEzYHSft6cr-Rl0hcVc8zHcz3YeUXUliXfWgdW_jQTYlAhOCo_D8sI4ik3fr4sqsEuLk-EEfWvjGVCYsGDQKTkAjB9Ph=w1331-h882-no

Last edited:
I had a (very) quick couple of shots of the moon just before going to work this morning to see the performance of my G3X.

All hand-held with IS on using the EVF. First one is in fully auto at 18mm, second is in manual at 220mm and the third is also in manual but at full digital zoom (440mm). SOOC, no pp at all.

Pretty pleased with them. I need to try some better staged shots on a tripod.

2018-08-01 - 1 - Moon SOOC - Auto - 18mm by Duncan Rounding, on Flickr

2018-08-01 - 2 - Moon SOOC - Manual - 220mm by Duncan Rounding, on Flickr

2018-08-01 - 3 - Moon SOOC - Manual - 440mm by Duncan Rounding, on Flickr

And one final one that has had a quick run through LR:
Powershot G3X Moon - 2018-08-01-3 by Duncan Rounding, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone here got the G1X Mark III,i am torn between this & the sonyRX100 MkV as i am selling my DSLR gear for this.:)

Anyone here got the G1X Mark III,i am torn between this & the sonyRX100 MkV as i am selling my DSLR gear for this.:)

I thought people were torn between the G7X and the RX100. It's hard to find a webpage about the G7X without a mention of the Sony rivel. ;)

... can't help with the G1X I'm afraid.

Okay cheers for that.:)

On my g3x I've just noticed that the modes shown on the dial are a little different to those shown on the display.

When you select sports as the mode on the dial it shows sports on the display as you'd expect, but when you select SCN as the mode on the dial the display shows portrait, similarly when you select the two circles (not sure what that means) as the mode on the dial it shows HDR on the display.

All the other modes are the same on both the dial and the display.

Is this just my camera, or are all the g3xs like this?

20180818_170321.jpeg20180818_170301.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Duncan

This is pretty much the same as my G7X, but I've got no Sport Mode.

So you select, say, SCN and at the top of the liveview you see Portrait highlighted (or whichever Scene you used last), touch the shutter button and that top bar goes, touch the FUNC SET button and you see icons along the bottom of the screen, go left/right to find the one you want.

Hi Duncan

This is pretty much the same as my G7X, but I've got no Sport Mode.

So you select, say, SCN and at the top of the liveview you see Portrait highlighted (or whichever Scene you used last), touch the shutter button and that top bar goes, touch the FUNC SET button and you see icons along the bottom of the screen, go left/right to find the one you want.
Ahh! I never realised that. Thank you.

Furthermore ....

The two circles mode is "creative". The different options available there are adjustable on the control ring; for example, select HDR and you can select from five different levels.

The three squares mode appears to take three shots consecutively and produce six images (or six versions of the same image) with different crops & processing. But there's nothing else available in that mode.

The only thing I bother with in all three of these modes is HDR Art Standard ... good colour & texture, not OTT. Everything else is either OTT or something I'd prefer to do in post.

The g7x is not necessarily the same as the g3x.

Furthermore ....

The two circles mode is "creative". The different options available there are adjustable on the control ring; for example, select HDR and you can select from five different levels.

The three squares mode appears to take three shots consecutively and produce six images (or six versions of the same image) with different crops & processing. But there's nothing else available in that mode.

The only thing I bother with in all three of these modes is HDR Art Standard ... good colour & texture, not OTT. Everything else is either OTT or something I'd prefer to do in post.

The g7x is not necessarily the same as the g3x.
Thanks, I'll have a play around tomorrow.

The photo's app on my windows 10 pc will open Raw files taken on my 7D but won't open Raw files taken on my G7X ii ! Anyone have a fix for this?

Out and about this morning to The Vyne National Trust Gardens with the new G3X. I'm amazed at the zoom and the quality of the photos even at the tele end. Lots to learn on this camera and quite different from my DSLR, I need to mess about a lot more in P and Manual. There's an album on Flickr if anyone's interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanrounding/sets/72157697181924732/with/29193535667/

Nice photos - it does make you wonder if carrying a 'big' camera is worth it. The difference must be minimal - certainly on a screen. It's just a shame that there's no viewfinder.

Nice photos - it does make you wonder if carrying a 'big' camera is worth it. The difference must be minimal - certainly on a screen. It's just a shame that there's no viewfinder.
Agreed. I have the evf and I couldn't do without it.

The photo's app on my windows 10 pc will open Raw files taken on my 7D but won't open Raw files taken on my G7X ii ! Anyone have a fix for this?
I suspect the photos app will need updating with the raw info to be able to open the file. This will probably be up to Microsoft.

I've also discovered that I have the same problem with PSE 13 - apparently the only way round is to upgrade to PSE 18 or use the free DNG converter !
I don't get it ? I thought a CR2 is a CR2 but...........

I've also discovered that I have the same problem with PSE 13 - apparently the only way round is to upgrade to PSE 18 or use the free DNG converter !
I don't get it ? I thought a CR2 is a CR2 but...........
Unfortunately only a DNG is a DNG. CR2s can and are camera dependant.

Shooting raw with my g9x mark II I notice I need to increase exposure on every shot. Is this normal? Not much, usually just a touch. Even brightest light clothing stays quite dim.

Unfortunately over the weekend out of the blue, my G7X mkII decided to stop opening the lens cover properly. The bottom half is stuck shut and the top half rattles around as if the mechanism inside has broken. I've phoned Canon and it's got to go back for inspection. The assistant grilled me about how I had dropped it (which I haven't) so I felt a bit like they don't intend to cover it under warranty... We shall see...

Back