The end of Photoshop CS

If you get a new camera you can covert your files to a DNG with Adobe free downloadable DNG converter, if it is still available. It will be OK for awhile but in the long run we will either have to join up with Adobe or hope some other software comes on the market. http://johndoddato.blogspot.com/

So much for DNG becoming a universal format, I cannot see anyone but Adobe supporting it now and in the future you will have to go on the cloud to open them when your old adobe software no longer works on the latest operating system!

So much for a universal raw format, just another way for adobe to tie you into them. :)

Last edited:
Ok going to ask a stupid question here.
I do not use CS anything I use Elements so is it going to be the same for that or are we just talking CS?

I'm toying with signing up - from what I can tell we can sign up for an educational discount as my daughters in primary school.

£15.88/month for the first year then £22.46/month after that.

Last edited:
£190 pa the first year, then £270 pa after that? Sod that.

I hate the way that the educational offer is only for the ENTIRE suite! Why not an educational offer for one application? You can BUY one application as a student, but can't rent the CC equivalent?

Sorry... just Adobe being greedy.

Pay if you want, but I genuinely feel we should boycott Adobe. I've been a registered Photoshop user since version 2, but they can **** off now.

I'll be be playing with some alternatives over the next few months.....

They deserve to get pirated to death now as a result of this, and I'll laugh like a drain when it happens :).. I may even join in and break the habit of a lifetime: Supporting great products by actually buying them. I've done that for decades with Adobe, and they still want more? Do your best Adobe... I'm sure there's an army of Chinese and Eastern European coders out there waiting to rip your DRM a new one, and you brought it on yourselves.

Last edited:
If only Tim Cook would see the opportunity and spend a bit of Apple's billions on developing a PS rivalling pixel editor to release alongside Aperture 4 to fill the void...imagine how many Macs he'd sell on the back of it!

If only Steve Jobs were alive... <SIGH>

If only Tim Cook would see the opportunity and spend a bit of Apple's billions on developing a PS rivalling pixel editor to release alongside Aperture 4 to fill the void...imagine how many Macs he'd sell on the back of it!

If only Steve Jobs were alive... <SIGH>

Do you think it would be cheaper than PS?

Nothing from Apple would be cheaper - it would be pretty though

David, I see your point and to have the option would be nice as no doubt it would be much cheaper, say £9 a month, but isn't the point of an educational discount to get the student hooked on a complete package rather than just the bit they want so that when they leave education they get (or persuade the accounts manager to buy) the whole suite.

I could see someone into video playing with after effects even though they don't really need it as its just another right click option, then once they feel its the only way to do what they want they feel they need the whole package.

Of course end user has the option just to keep what they have now and not upgrade, after all it will no doubt do everything you can think of doing with it at the moment - its just when new ideas come along that are much easier with the new versions that the product will become attractive again.

Last edited:
... and they would probably let you buy it and not just rent it.

On second thoughts, they'd probably give it to you for free and then tell you to spend a couple of grand to make it work via 'In App Purchases'. <SIGH>

On second thoughts, they'd probably give it to you for free and then tell you to spend a couple of grand to make it work via 'In App Purchases'. <SIGH>

lol, too true

I haven't seen if this has been posted yet...

[YOUTUBE]67Iw9q2X9cU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I think it only needs to connect once a month to check the subscription has been renewed... I guess they're prepared to lose the ones who can't connect at all.

I've seen togs who travel the world and don't have connection for months. This is a crap idea and it will have a huge uproar with users. Just look at a famous pc game software called sim city. Its has been shown to pieces

From the FAQ (here)

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline

Well I for one won't be going into the cloud - CS6, (upgraded to the now obsolete product just a couple of months ago!), will have to last me unless someone else brings out a good alternative (which I am sure will happen).

haha, more vids

...and there was I thinking sarcasm is a dead art in the US :)

[YOUTUBE]HPTc79Qw2g4[/YOUTUBE]

Well, it was so cheap I went for it (sorry Dave!) and yes they are looking at those craggy circles in CS6 - they're almost triangles :LOL:

Well, I've been enjoying the benefits of educational pricing up until PS CS5. I'd resisted the full-price upgrade to CS6 and I guess I'll carry on resisting CC. But that's no great loss - with developments to LR I hardly ever touch PS and, if I ever do find it lacking then I'm sure PSE will be good enough.

PS. Please don't reply with paranoid 'what-if' situations. Both LR and PSE are cloud-free and Adobe have said they have no plans to make it cloud-only.

'Tis a good thing for Adobe! It stops all those customers sitting on old copies of CS and not paying Adobe a penny more. :)

I paid £650 for my CS5 programme - I don't see why I should have to pay Adobe any more, should I choose not to upgrade :shrug:

Les ;)

You won't have to pay Adobe any more, you can use CS5 forever :)

Unless he buys a new camera and the raw support is not upgraded unless you use CC - is that a possibility?

It is but buying lightroom would get round that - although I realise thats not the point.

Unless he buys a new camera and the raw support is not upgraded unless you use CC - is that a possibility?

Just convert your RAW files to DNGs with the Adobe DNG converter, and you can carry on using whatever RAW software you have. :shrug:

It does mean relying on Adobe to update their converter for new cameras, and also relying on Adobe not to fiddle about with the DNG format. :thinking:

And I think trust in Adobe is in short supply atm. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Per use would be very hard to implement, plus people would log in and never reboot again, or bitch like hell that their PC crashed and they had to pay again.

In the short term it seems better to me, I've currently got CS5 and was planning to upgrade to CS6 Extended (I wanted to have a play around with some 3D) when funds allowed which would have been somewhere in the region of £300. Now that CC is coming along they're no longer having Extended as a separate version so I can get everything I need for a little less than £9 a month.

I for one will continue to buy LR but i guess i will just have to put up with PS6 for the rest of days :shrug:

Is that PS6, or CS6? :shrug: :LOL:

Some interesting points raised here by someone who has gone through the user agreement for the Adobe Cloud.

There is no minimum service agreement. They are becoming a service provider after all. If their servers go down, tough.

You need to provide some personal info, and they reserve the right to ask for more.

They can terminate your service any time they want at their discretion.

If you want to take them to court to appeal a decision, or have dispute, hire a Lawyer in Santa Clara, California.

They can download updates at any time to your computer. Don't know whether you have to agree to the update or not, but you will become the Beta tester, and if an update happens when you have some important work, if you can't delay it, what do you do? Or the update goes wrong because it hasn't been tested enough?

I know in the past a few times, I've turned my PS3 on for the first time after few months for quick blast on Gran Turismo and I've been faced with an update for the PS3 before I could do anything, with no choice. And you have to make sure the PS3 stays connected btw, or the you could turn the PS3 into brick. What happens if the Cloud update is stopped or corrupted, does the program disregard it and carry on working?

And mentioning Sony, and about their online services, which were hacked a couple of years ago, and 80+ million users affected, what happens if something similar happens to Adobe? The Sony service was down for a number of weeks, what would happen if the Adobe servers were down for over month?

Lots of ifs, but there is suddenly a lot of doubts with the change to their new model. I hope for subscribers they have thought out all the potential problems, because it looks like you have little options for comeback if they haven't, and something goes wrong. :shrug:

Back