The end of Photoshop CS

I don't mind the downloadable bit but it would b nice if they would just let those of us who don't want to pay rent every month to download the updates a couple of times a year. Sure we'd pay more, it would cost them a bit to prepare and it's Adobe after all, but that's the price you pay for being hopelessly out of date/ freedom (choose your option).

I expect onOne are already looking at upping their game.

but even for home users, £17.50/month for a single CS app is easier to stomach/budget for than photoshop cs6 at £600 outright for example.
I have to say as a casual photographer I wouldn't even consider throwing down the full asking price for PS (I have bought Lightroom), but I'm more than happy to look at a subscription based model for the right price.

If Adobe came out with a brand new upgrade for PS in their effort to sell creative cloud I could see where some people would buy in. At the current offering you will only be buying 2 gigs of cloud space and nothing else. You will basically pay them to use the software you have already bought and paid for. They have a need to collect cost of the hugh storage space they had to construct for cloud and getting people to jump to the subscription plan with a low introductory offer is the way they can pay for it. Why would anyone who has PS or Lightroom pay Adobe a monthly rate to use the software they already own. The reason behind all of this is PS has leveled off and the new versions won't have enough upgrades to warrant the cost of an upgrade. http://johndoddato.blogspot.com/

Photoshop CC is a new upgraded version (available from June)... feature list HERE.

With the new features in Lightroom 5 I think the only time I'll need to opt into Photoshop is for a bit of cloning. and CS5 does that nicely for me now. Failing that Elements does just as good a job.

If I do need a CC feature, 1 Month sub then I'm off. Works for me

The reason for Adobe doing it this way to stop the crack versions surely?

I think that's the reason they want us to believe. In reality it's little to do with piracy and more that they want people tied into the subscription model since you will have to keep ponying up money each month to Adobe. This translate into a stable revenue stream which takes the pressure off them.

Right now they have to spend a lot of money on developing the next point release then market that to us in order to convince us that we want to buy it.

Unfortunately often that isn't the case. I still use CS5 and don't see the value for me to upgrade to 6. Ditto with LR. I see no compelling reason to move to 5 unless it's a bargain. There's a couple of neat features such as the cloning brush but by & large it's not brilliant enough to make me want to put my hand in my wallet.

Bear in mind that pirates will simply download the software and crack it to stop it from phoning home. Or fake the reply from Adobe. They'll carry on regardless. It will be the legit users who suffer when the software goes wrong.

Also, I agree that most people pirate PS and that is of course wrong but how many of those users given the money would actually spend it on PS? Not many. I'm not saying that makes it OK but I mean in terms of actual conversions to paying customers it's not going to be a great number.

Right now it's £50 a month to subscribe to Creative Cloud. That's £720 per year, every year we'd now have to add to our overheads.

Time will tell if the market will accept this change. But I know if I was a competitor to Adobe I'd be rubbing my hands about now and over the next few months doing a big campaign to woo customers over.

I think people who don't like this are going to have to get over it eventually. Sadly the cloud/online required model isn't just the future of Photoshop, it's looking like the future of pretty much all software and media distribution.

Of course there'll be a pirated version out sharpish, probably on release day, so the people who don't pay for it will carry on regardless. These internet connection DRM systems have been cracked very quickly in games before so something as popular as Photoshop will be done in no time at all even if it does have to drop some cloud processing features. Every software cracker in the world will be queuing up to have a go at it.
And I suspect the servers will get pounded with DDOS attacks in protest like Ubisoft's were.

Historically when things like this get announced most people have forgotten about being angry at it by the time it actually happens.

Last edited:
I would go out of biz with an extra online Cloudy thing. quotes just for a bespoke website/e commerce are in the £20k mark.... so the storage of 200.000 images a year will be astro..... And we need to keep them on for 3 years...

another cost to kill business.

Are you sure your 200k images will be on Adobes cloud servers?

If I own CS6 and then join CC what do you suppose happens if I stop? Do you suppose it embeds updates into my copy and reverts to the original if I cancel, will it cancel my by then updated software or will I have a second copy of CS6 on my computer?

no idea Tom, nor do I care.. I need work pcs to be off line from virus attack etc..... And need all soft ware on at least 7 computers.

So end of the line for me if this is the way it's all going.

P issed off the world knowing when you take a dump and everything you are doing.

I need software on all our laptops too...... so you bet your butt you will be charged for every machine as well

If it was made by man, man will either brake it or brake into it! On cloud or on local machine.

If I own CS6 and then join CC what do you suppose happens if I stop? Do you suppose it embeds updates into my copy and reverts to the original if I cancel, will it cancel my by then updated software or will I have a second copy of CS6 on my computer?

If you've bought CS6 outright and then join the cloud, you'll get all the updates included, then if you leave the cloud you'll still have your original version of CS6 to use for as long as you like but without the updates.

then if you leave the cloud you'll still have your original version of CS6 to use for as long as you like but without the updates.

Which you will have paid for month by month!

Which you will have paid for month by month!

Yes quite, but TBH you wouldn't join the cloud if you had a full copy of CS6. It would only be worth it with CS7 or 8 onwards and even then assuming you wanted whatever new features it had.

I'm looking on the bright side, maybe we'll start to see some photographic skills returning, instead of the dirge of over processed bilge I keep seeing :)

Making the move to Lightroom sooner rather than later.
So what happens when you buy a new camera and compatability with ACR??

Last edited:
I think people who don't like this are going to have to get over it eventually. Sadly the cloud/online required model isn't just the future of Photoshop, it's looking like the future of pretty much all software and media distribution......

I can't see GNU GPL software like Rawtherapee suddenly moving to this cloud/online model, but it could certainly affect mainstream products like PS/LR that are widely used by businesses.

Looks like there won't be any more Creative Suite editions... CS6 is the last. Adobe have announced at Adobe MAX that they're accelerating the move to the Creative Cloud... CLICK

So it's going to be Photoshop CC from now on, all subscription based.

Really? I've got Premiere CS7 at work (pre-release).

I've just read that some processor hungry features, like the new 'Camera Shake Reduction Tool', are going to be processed in the cloud rather than on the host machine... that should help stop the piracy if nothing else does. May really screw users with no internet connection though... or a really slow one like our steam driven rural connection.

So it for Professionnels is it? ummmm!

Another major change for business is the lack of per seat licensing.

Say you have 40 photographers, but only 10 using the software at any given time. Current you can have 10 supported licences, in future you need 40 user licences. Plus, we'd need cast iron assurance that none of the cloud stored data is in the US.

Last edited:
With the new features in Lightroom 5 I think the only time I'll need to opt into Photoshop is for a bit of cloning. and CS5 does that nicely for me now. Failing that Elements does just as good a job.

If I do need a CC feature, 1 Month sub then I'm off. Works for me

12 month minimum contract.

im on holiday this week so dont have access to the number but im pretty sure over 3 years the cloud worked out cheaper per seat than buying CS suite and upgrades.

but even for home users, £17.50/month for a single CS app is easier to stomach/budget for than photoshop cs6 at £600 outright for example.

interesting..

£600 is not the upgrade price.......is it :shrug:

Hi David, you haven't included the initial cost of photoshop in your calculations.

Bag of the fag packet calculations, :-

5 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1400 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£1054.80 total cost

3 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1000 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£632.88 total cost
You're forgetting we already have it, so your wrong on your costings it is only the upgrade prices per year so
3yrs is 2 upgrades at £200 is £400
CC cost £632 (see below)

and 5yrs is 4 upgrades £800.

CC cost £1054.80
Single app — Photoshop CC
Full new version of Photoshop CC
20GB of cloud storage
Limited access to services
Requires annual commitment; billed monthly

But somehow I can't see the price staying the same for 5yrs. they will have a licence to print money and charge whatever they want, as they will have you.

Last edited:
You're forgetting we already have it, so your wrong on your costings it is only the upgrade prices per year so
3yrs is 2 upgrades at £200 is £400
CC cost £632 (see below)

and 5yrs is 4 upgrades £800.

CC cost £1054.80
Single app — Photoshop CC
Full new version of Photoshop CC
20GB of cloud storage
Limited access to services
Requires annual commitment; billed monthly

But somehow I can't see the price staying the same for 5yrs. they will have a licence to print money and charge whatever they want, as they will have you.

Why are you writing off the initial cost though?

Why are you writing off the initial cost though?

I Guess because he's already paid the initial cost, this won't change wether you go for the Creative cloud or not.

The other calculations would be correct for someone who doesn't already have PS, but only assuming they go for every upgrade.

But it's a fantastic opportunity for adobe to reign in the extremely high level of piracy of their product.

No it won't. They can call it Creative Cloud as much as they want, but you download it, and fully install it locally on your own machine. How is that cloud computing?

I'm sorry... this will be pirated as much as the previous versions. More so probably, as who the hell is going to stump up a large monthly payment.. forever? Prepare Photoshop piracy to go through the roof. Serves them right too IMO.

When you open the software it contacts adobe to make sure you have a valid licence, much the way CS does now except the way of circumventing this presently is to block the connection. However if the cloud package cannot make contact within 30 days it shuts the software off.

Easily circumvented... exactly the same way certain games that insist on that are also pirated. What exactly will it cut off? The app is already installed and running on your machine? How can it cut you off? It's not cloud computing :) It's software.. it can, and will be hacked.

Last edited:
Hi David, you haven't included the initial cost of photoshop in your calculations.

Bag of the fag packet calculations, :-

5 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1400 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£1054.80 total cost

3 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1000 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£632.88 total cost

If I wanted to upgrade all the time to the latest version forever then the CC pricing does look attractive but the calculations forget that when buying the software you own it therefore there is a residual value of the software. The main point for me is not so much the residual value but if you decide you don't want the upgrades (I use CS2 !! and Lightroom) you still own the software forever if you purchased it.

The only reason I upgraded from CS3 to CS6 was that the FE college I run some courses for installed it and gave me a copy. The improvements are really little more than tweaks and gimmicks and certainly wouldn't make commercial sense in terms of return on investment for my work. It's hard to see a whole succession of useful upgrades in CS, all of which will make enough difference to justify a monthly payments that reached into infinity. I get upgrades ever week or two for java, chrome, firefox and all the rest, and usually the only noticeable difference is that some of the buttons have been moved to irritatingly new positions. They never ask if I want to change.

Do we need the upgrades?

I was using PS 3.something on a computer in the office I did a shoot in a few days ago, and I only missed the masking wand tool - and that added a few seconds to the edit

I contend if you have CS4 / 5 / 6 - as a photographer, you already have all you need

Same with Lightroom - if you have LR3 / LR4 there is very little else you could want for

I'm sorry... this will be pirated as much as the previous versions. More so probably, as who the hell is going to stump up a large monthly payment.. forever? Prepare Photoshop piracy to go through the roof. Serves them right too IMO.

I agree see my previous
If it was made by man, man will either brake it or brake into it! On cloud or on local machine.

There's a massive opportunity here for a software developer with good entrepreneurial skills. Someone will seize the opportunity to launch a rival product. There was little point before due to Adobe's monopoly. That will all change now. Adobe are banking on brand loyalty.. which will be their downfall. Professionals don't give a crap about brand loyalty. They want a means of doing their job as well as possible, as cheaply as possible.

Last edited:
There are rumours that they may release a "photographers" package for a cheaper price than the $49

Also, what do you think the chances of them updating present software (cs5) for d7100 compatibility?

Apparently CS6 will have ongoing and indefinite support for newer versions of ACR, so if you don't want the subscription, upgrade to CS6 now for ongoing RAW support.

Approximately zero unless you subscribe, I'd reckon. But as David says, plenty of entrepreneurs will be producing work-arounds.

Apparently CS6 will have ongoing and indefinite support for newer versions of ACR, so if you don't want the subscription, upgrade to CS6 now for ongoing RAW support.

I only saw that they would be supporting CS6 with an upgrade to to ACR 8 when it is released. And with that be the initial release and ongoing updates throughout the life of ACR 8 or not? :shrug: I doubt they'll make any commitment.

And quite frankly I wouldn't believe them if they said would be supporting CS6 RAW indefinitely. ;) :LOL:

According to DPReview
Adobe is not providing a timeline for how long new camera support will continue for the ACR version of Photoshop CS6.

And they will only be supporting any new cameras in the ACR update, but there will be non of the new features of ACR 8. :shake:

Last edited:
What a shame that Adobe are going to CC, what does that mean the people out there that use photoshop as an editing suite and are not making money from their photography or have a website that has been developed just for fun!

I have been lucky to sorce my Adobe products from a friend who has more than one licence but I only use as a raw processor as I do not like the software that the camera manufacturers provide.

I know the pirate software has been an issue but my view is that Adobe like Microsoft know that they have the monopoly and a licence to print money.
So therefore what happens now when a new camera model roles out and an updated camera raw profile is needed for you to continue to use your version of their software?
Always pros and cons to any great changes in life......

Back