The end of Photoshop CS

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Looks like there won't be any more Creative Suite editions... CS6 is the last. Adobe have announced at Adobe MAX that they're accelerating the move to the Creative Cloud... CLICK

So it's going to be Photoshop CC from now on, all subscription based.

Certainly up to date but will it really be cheaper, and what happens if you decide you don't wish to pay any more subscriptions ... do you get to keep what you've got?

'Tis a good thing for Adobe! It stops all those customers sitting on old copies of CS and not paying Adobe a penny more. :)

I presume they've done it to try and prevent copying of their software.

Personally I cant see the issue if you're a professional and can claim the cost back, but I suspect it'll make a few folk unhappy.

yep i can see gimp getting more of a mention of a lot of the photography forums soon

I hope they don't go the same way with Lightroom. I just know they will though.
:thumbsdown:

Certainly up to date but will it really be cheaper, and what happens if you decide you don't wish to pay any more subscriptions ... do you get to keep what you've got?

It's worked out cheaper than buying the suite per desktop outright for us.

You do lose access if you stop paying. Technically you never own software anyway, you only licence it :)

But it's a fantastic opportunity for adobe to reign in the extremely high level of piracy of their product.

But it's a fantastic opportunity for adobe to reign in the extremely high level of piracy of their product.

Will it though Neil? The software is still local on the user's machine, won't the pirates be able to circumvent the activation system just as easily as before? It's a genuine question by the way (not rhetorical)... I hope you're right, It makes me mad that I pay for software that some people just help themselves to!

Will it though Neil? The software is still local on the user's machine, won't the pirates be able to circumvent the activation system just as easily as before? It's a genuine question by the way (not rhetorical)... I hope you're right, It makes me mad that I pay for software that some people just help themselves to!

When you open the software it contacts adobe to make sure you have a valid licence, much the way CS does now except the way of circumventing this presently is to block the connection. However if the cloud package cannot make contact within 30 days it shuts the software off.

When you open the software it contacts adobe to make sure you have a valid licence, much the way CS does now except the way of circumventing this presently is to block the connection. However if the cloud package cannot make contact within 30 days it shuts the software off.

Ah OK... well if that stops the piracy then I guess it makes more sense for them to go that route.

One of my initial concerns is that it takes some of the pressure off Adobe to innovate and develop their products. With the previous system they had to sell the next version upgrades to maintain their revenue stream. So at every upgrade they came up with 'killer features' (like Content Aware etc.) to persuade people to move to the new version. With this new system all they have to do to maintain their revenue stream is to stop users from unsubscribing. So as long as their products stay ahead of any competition they're not going to feel the same pressure to innovate and development budgets could suffer... Time will tell I guess.

And if you want to use it standalone with no Internet connection then what ?

I'm sure there are thousands of people who use none networked pc's and Macs that use photoshop.

How many people will be prepared to pay every month for ever? The changes to the last few 'new' versions of PS have been minuscule. What is an upgrade likely to offer? The main problem is likely to be new cameras that can't utilise current versions of Adobe products - but that would cause an outcry from the camera buyers, so either new cameras will be compatible with current PS/LR/Elements, or someone will fill the editing gap. Possibly you will have to buy some sort of one-off licence if you want to use PS or LR with a new camera, but that would meant the camera manufacturers agreeing to cooperate with Adobe.

Maybe someone will buy out the PS/LR part (it's moving towards a single package anyway - possibly something like Elements and LR will come combined) and Adobe will become a tool almost entirely for designers and publishers?

I'm sure there are thousands of people who use none networked pc's and Macs that use photoshop.
I think it only needs to connect once a month to check the subscription has been renewed... I guess they're prepared to lose the ones who can't connect at all.

how many people does the 30 day limit apply to though? who REALLY doesnt connect to the internet once every 30 days?

How many people will be prepared to pay every month for ever? The changes to the last few 'new' versions of PS have been minuscule. What is an upgrade likely to offer? The main problem is likely to be new cameras that can't utilise current versions of Adobe products - but that would cause an outcry from the camera buyers, so either new cameras will be compatible with current PS/LR/Elements, or someone will fill the editing gap. Possibly you will have to buy some sort of one-off licence if you want to use PS or LR with a new camera, but that would meant the camera manufacturers agreeing to cooperate with Adobe.

who were adobes core cs suite users? mostly businesses id say who actually find it more convenient.

Maybe someone will buy out the PS/LR part (it's moving towards a single package anyway - possibly something like Elements and LR will come combined) and Adobe will become a tool almost entirely for designers and publishers?

doubtful. too much money for adobe to lose.

Last edited:
...The main problem is likely to be new cameras that can't utilise current versions of Adobe products - but that would cause an outcry from the camera buyers, so either new cameras will be compatible with current PS/LR/Elements, or someone will fill the editing gap...

They'll still release periodic updates for new camera compatibility just as they always have done... otherwise users would unsubscribe in droves.

'Tis a good thing for Adobe! It stops all those customers sitting on old copies of CS and not paying Adobe a penny more. :)

And what's wrong with that? I still use cs3. It does what I want it to so why should I feel obliged to buy every update that comes along?

A huge number of keen amateurs and students, as well as most professionals, use one Adobe product or another. Thing is, there are now quite a few alternatives. Unless these all go to subscription, newcomers will start with a non-Adobe product and there will be little incentive to move, particularly as buyers of non-Adobe will make it worthwhile for other manufactures to develop their product rather than ape Adobe.

No chance will that work.

For people that actually pay for it I don't think they will be too concerned, for the pirates out there I'm sure they will kick up a stink lol

I've just read that some processor hungry features, like the new 'Camera Shake Reduction Tool', are going to be processed in the cloud rather than on the host machine... that should help stop the piracy if nothing else does. May really screw users with no internet connection though... or a really slow one like our steam driven rural connection.

I strongly doubt that the camera shake tool will turn out to be any more impressive that content aware fill was. Hype over substance.

I've just read that some processor hungry features, like the new 'Camera Shake Reduction Tool', are going to be processed in the cloud rather than on the host machine... that should help stop the piracy if nothing else does. May really screw users with no internet connection though... or a really slow one like our steam driven rural connection.

really? source?

Is it cheaper though? If you get Photoshop, it costs $19.95 a month, so its $239.00 per annum - and remember, its normally more expensive here in the UK. An upgrade normally comes around every 18 months and costs around the £220.00 mark, so its going to cost you about £100.00 more over the same period to 'rent it.

Is it cheaper though? If you get Photoshop, it costs $19.95 a month, so its $239.00 per annum - and remember, its normally more expensive here in the UK. An upgrade normally comes around every 18 months and costs around the £220.00 mark, so its going to cost you about £100.00 more over the same period to 'rent it.

im on holiday this week so dont have access to the number but im pretty sure over 3 years the cloud worked out cheaper per seat than buying CS suite and upgrades.

but even for home users, £17.50/month for a single CS app is easier to stomach/budget for than photoshop cs6 at £600 outright for example.

CLICK - Third paragraph down... unless I've misunderstood it :shrug:

interesting..

Last edited:
I've been using the Cloud exclusively for 19 months now, using a few of their premium apps, and quite like it. In the long run it may work out more expensive but it's one of those expenses I can live with, monthly, rather than in bigger chunks when I do upgrade.

I moved from CS4 on a promo deal for 12 months and it's still going strong.

It will be interesting to see what else they come up with to combat piracy on the cloud system. It will be even more interesting to see what the pirates come up with.

Last edited:

Hi David, you haven't included the initial cost of photoshop in your calculations.

Bag of the fag packet calculations, :-

5 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1400 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£1054.80 total cost

3 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1000 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£632.88 total cost

Hi David, you haven't included the initial cost of photoshop in your calculations.

Bag of the fag packet calculations, :-

5 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1400 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£1054.80 total cost

3 years, assuming 1 upgrade per year
£600 initial cost
£200 upgrade per year
£1000 total cost

Creative cloud
£17.58 per month
£632.88 total cost
They don't upgrade every year - they may well update things like camera raw to help read new camera profiles.

They don't upgrade every year - they may well update things like camera raw to help read new camera profiles.

Well CS5.5 was the start of what was supposed to be the transition to an annual release cycle. CS6 followed 12 months later. CC and the changes there in are 12 month later again.

It is what has been happening recently, new versions appearing approx every may

*version CS5 to CS5.1 was not a need for everyone and very few needed to upgrade.

Morning Tom - that maybe the case that not many needed the upgrade, but it is besides the point, it was a paid upgrade if my memory serves me ....

CS5 april 2010
CS5.1 may 2011
CS6 May 2012.

Those dates would suggest an annual upgrade cycle in recent years.

Can somebody confirm that the cs5.1 was a paid upgrade?

Morning Tom - that maybe the case that not many needed the upgrade, but it is besides the point, it was a paid upgrade if my memory serves me ....

CS5 april 2010
CS5.1 may 2011
CS6 May 2012.

Those dates would suggest an annual upgrade cycle in recent years.

Can somebody confirm that the cs5.1 was a paid upgrade?

But you stated 5 years ....which goes back to may 2008...just looking at your fag packet calculations!

But you stated 5 years ....which goes back to may 2008...just looking at your fag packet calculations!

Those are going forwards, not backwards!

ie a 'what-if' using recent history to estimate possible future costs.

I've been using Creative Cloud for the past year, it's worth it (especially if you use more than one app like me), but the only hassle is making sure you're online around the time you're being charged for the month otherwise you get locked out. I'd rather pay for a yearly subscription in one go.

They'll soon stop the minor updates for new file types and such, so old copies will gradually become harder to use.

Back