The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I know it will be stupid, but if Jessops give me enough then I will do a straight swap I know I could get more on here selling the 16-55mm but I like to help my local shop.

Surprised nobody has made you an offer already! Someone could buy you 3 XF27's and swap for your 16-55 and still have themselves a bargain. :D

Surprised nobody has made you an offer already! Someone could buy you 3 XF27's and swap for your 16-55 and still have themselves a bargain. :D

The only thing I think Jessops would be funny with is, the numbers on the hood are wearing away but the lens is in mint condition so I will see what they say.

I'm tempted by the 50 f2 as an additional lens for whichever camera I have in my car, I'm considering selling the 100-400 as a think I have only taken about 20 shots with it in the last 6 months.

The XF50mm f2 is my all time favourite for my jazz shots, and in low light I rate it very highly as IMO it is a fantastic little lens so along with that lens and my 35mm f2 and 90mm f2 I`d never get rid, plus I know I need to use the 16mm f1.4 more on my X-H1 as that would be a killer combination IMO. On my 23mm f2 I have not used it a lot but will start soon with that.

I have some thinking to do now as have just thought, I`d love to have another X100F again since my last one went swimming. Just have to think now on what to trade, but will keep the following X-T3, X-H1, XF90mm,XF50mm,XF16mm,XF35mm. So my mad way of thinking is trade in the XF16-55mm XF23mm and maybe the X-E3, and if they do a straight swap for a brand new X100F then I will do that and end up with a great jazz set up.

Hi Donna;

I use 'Footprint' handmade leather straps, simply brilliant, I've two of them and used them for years, I believe there's a choice of around 14 different colours, handmade by Clive in the UK, excellent quality and price.

Highly recommended..!! Hope this helps.

Link here;
https://en-gb.facebook.com/footprintcustomstraps/

Regards;
Peter

Had 2 - still got one, great and smell really nice too!

I have some thinking to do now as have just thought, I`d love to have another X100F again since my last one went swimming. Just have to think now on what to trade, but will keep the following X-T3, X-H1, XF90mm,XF50mm,XF16mm,XF35mm. So my mad way of thinking is trade in the XF16-55mm XF23mm and maybe the X-E3, and if they do a straight swap for a brand new X100F then I will do that and end up with a great jazz set up.

Now I`m having a laugh, might change it to the X-H1 instead. As in two H1s and one T3 :D

Last edited:
Now I`m having a laugh, might change it to the X-H1 instead. As in two H1s and one T3 :D

First world problems huh? :D I'd like a back up camera, an XT3 would be sweet but I'd rather a few more lenses first. That 80mm macro is the most desirable for me, but also the 100-400 as I'd like to do more wildlife.

When people say budget shouldn't matter when it comes to photography, well that's BS, it very much matters. I know for fact I'd get out to the countryside and down by the river here a lot more if I had a decent tele lens. There's always wildlife in action down there but I think I'd need at least 300-400mm to get the most from it. I simply just cannot afford a lens like that

Well the Sony is all packed up and being collected by MPB on Tuesday. Just need to decide between an XH1 or XT3 now

It's down to whether you prefer faster AF or having IBIS really innit? The ergonomic differences too, and price difference. If buying new then you can save a couple hundred going H1

It's down to whether you prefer faster AF or having IBIS really innit? The ergonomic differences too, and price difference. If buying new then you can save a couple hundred going H1

This is my dilemma. I have large hands (2XL in gloves) and the ergonomics of the H1 are superb. In fact, it was the H1 that got me to fall back in love with Fuji the last time my eye strayed. Also, having large hands, I'm prone to shutter shake army grip isn't always spot on. BUT. Faster AF and better eye AF can only be a good thing, right? Especially for events and weddings

This is my dilemma. I have large hands (2XL in gloves) and the ergonomics of the H1 are superb. In fact, it was the H1 that got me to fall back in love with Fuji the last time my eye strayed. Also, having large hands, I'm prone to shutter shake army grip isn't always spot on. BUT. Faster AF and better eye AF can only be a good thing, right? Especially for events and weddings

Sounds like you need one of each :D

Sounds like you need one of each :D

That was my last set up! I just don’t want two bodies this time round. Until the weddings/events warrant it, I’ll hire a second as needed then buy once it’s economical to do so

Last edited:
I’ve only just got an x pro 1, to satisfy my film camera hunger as I’m moving away from 35mm. I’m really surprised by the sharpness and the detail it can get. I’m yet to get a lens for it so I’m using a 50mm 1.8 fd lens. At 100% it looks as good, if not better sometimes, than my a6000 with the 35mm 1.8. Guessing that’s the lack anti aliasing filter

The xpro1 produces a lovely image, I found I preferred the images from it to the X-T1 but ergonomics won out for me that time. I preferred the handling and feel of the XT body, not a big fan of RF style bodies. I did enjoy having the 2 bodies at the time though, and I also adapted some old vintage lenses back then Something I keep meaning to return to as the H1 is perfect for this

I really like rangefinder style cameras. I had an Leica m2 but I sold that a few months ago. I really missed the on camera controls but I also wanted the optical viewfinder. Its been filling the hole left the Leica so far :).

I’ve only just got an x pro 1, to satisfy my film camera hunger as I’m moving away from 35mm. I’m really surprised by the sharpness and the detail it can get. I’m yet to get a lens for it so I’m using a 50mm 1.8 fd lens. At 100% it looks as good, if not better sometimes, than my a6000 with the 35mm 1.8. Guessing that’s the lack anti aliasing filter
Hi Ben,

The X-Pro1 is an extremely capable camera alright, I understand it's getting on a bit and probably slow now but it's MY favourite X body and I utterly love the quality output from it. Painterly and exquisite.

Simple as that..!!

Peter

Hi Ben,

The X-Pro1 is an extremely capable camera alright, I understand it's getting on a bit and probably slow now but it's MY favourite X body and I utterly love the quality output from it. Painterly and exquisite.

Simple as that..!!

Peter
The only slowness I’ve seen so far is the buffer, does take a little while to write to the card. I haven’t been able to test the auto focus yet but it would have to be pretty slow to cause an issue. I’m definitely converted. I’m keeping the a6000 as I like landscapes and the extra 8 megapixels can be useful but for everything else I’ll be using the x pro 1

Although I have to say I don’t really like the film simulations. I can’t try acros as the 1 doesn’t have it but I was excited to try the colour profiles. To my eye all they basically do is alter the contrast and saturation and as I’m not the biggest fan of the way digital cameras do colour I don’t use them. I much prefer the everyday Kodak pack from Mastin labs but I’ve always liked cheap c41 film

Although I have to say I don’t really like the film simulations. I can’t try acros as the 1 doesn’t have it but I was excited to try the colour profiles. To my eye all they basically do is alter the contrast and saturation and as I’m not the biggest fan of the way digital cameras do colour I don’t use them. I much prefer the everyday Kodak pack from Mastin labs but I’ve always liked cheap c41 film

Fuji profiles are a bit overrated in my (unprofessional and talent-limited) opinion. I think the reason is they kicked the industry a bit - less oversharpened, nicer colours and tones etc but they take tweaking. My old nikon d200 had horrible jpegs. The D7200 had great jpegs, about as good as fuji. Just different.

I use something no one does it seems - astia, with flatter highlights, flatter shadows, reduced noise reduction (minimised... No need for it) and it's really nice, but I often still tweak jpegs before posting, usually just contrast.

No one likes astia it seems. I must admit, though, the acros black and white profiles are the bees knees. I still tweak the jpegs but if processing raw black and white I start with acros. The jpegs are great anyway tbh.

Fuji profiles are a bit overrated in my (unprofessional and talent-limited) opinion. I think the reason is they kicked the industry a bit - less oversharpened, nicer colours and tones etc but they take tweaking. My old nikon d200 had horrible jpegs. The D7200 had great jpegs, about as good as fuji. Just different.

I use something no one does it seems - astia, with flatter highlights, flatter shadows, reduced noise reduction (minimised... No need for it) and it's really nice, but I often still tweak jpegs before posting, usually just contrast.

No one likes astia it seems. I must admit, though, the acros black and white profiles are the bees knees. I still tweak the jpegs but if processing raw black and white I start with acros. The jpegs are great anyway tbh.
Funny as I set it to astia too. I only use raw but it looks the nicest through the evf. Slightly saturated but not as harsh a contrast.
I’d like to try the acros pre set but i use silver fx for my black and whites, love that programme. Though I’m surprised how nice the Fuji files look converted to black and white. Usually only needs a bit of contrast and it’s good, better than Sony without a doubt. Silver fx has an edge though

After reading the AF section of the X-T2 manual again, I learned a few things - you can have back button focus AND half shutter press focus set up at the same time (and they seem to play nicely together) - why did I not realise this before? I also learned that eye detect does not work on AF-C, which is why I could not get it to work.

I headed up the woods, with my usual subject and some settings changed on the camera - a smaller focus point and half shutter AF switched back on. I was pretty pleased with this shot:
LRCX2410 by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I also tried slowing down the shutter speed and panning next to this puddle, although I'm not sure about the wisdom of closing your eyes whilst riding a bike...
LRCX2426 by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Couple of nice Fujigraphs, particularly liking #1.

George.

Cheers George. There's something about a misty morning makes you want to grab the camera and just shoot .... something! These webs stood out enough I spotted them from inside right away when I got up and opened the blinds - I should have done a wider shot too, as there was a bunch of them and it looked really cool - well, literally it was, there was ice droplets on them :D

MattHiRes-0046sml.jpg

XT3 | 35mm 1.4 | F9 | 1/125 | ISO 80

MattHiRes-0046sml.jpg

XT3 | 35mm 1.4 | F9 | 1/125 | ISO 80
Beautiful portrait Kris - lovely subtle light..! How many lights did you use..? Did you select 'Classic Chrome' Fuji pre-set colour for this edit..? Superb Sir!!

Great skills/talent/photography.

Regards;
Peter

Back