The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Shot with the 23mm 1.4 held in front of the sensor, reversed. No reversing ring, hence weird plane of focus - lens had tilt. Not terribly sharp, but very close, hand held and at 1.4 by default. 2019_0414_12133900.jpg

Howdy folks. I'm the proud new owner of an xt3 having recently chopped in my Olympus gear (before that I was a Canon man). The XT3 came as a bundle with the 18-55 mm lens and I've pretty much made my mind up as far as ordering a 55-200 zoom from e-infinity. I had planned on getting a 16-50 wr zoom to replace the "kit" lens but to be honest having had a play I'm not sure I'd gain a lot so I'm now thinking a prime instead. My initial thoughts are either the f2 23mm r wr or the xf 16mm f2.8 (or potentially even both). My photography is mainly landscapes, friends and family snaps and stock work with the odd bit of wildlife thrown in so a bit of a mix. I've got about £700 left from selling my Oly gear after taking into account the 55-200 and ideally would rather not blow the lot for marital reasons ;). Any suggestions chaps.
Thanks in advance James :)

I'd suggest the Fuji XF10-24mm f/4 OIS lens for your landscape needs Hadron.
I just ordered one today for similar requirements, I've owned one before and have so enjoyed it's quality and versatility....!!

Here's a XF10-24mm image from my digital X library;

River Orchy, Dalmally, Scotland by APM Photography, on Flickr

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
I'd suggest the Fuji XF10-24mm f/4 OIS lens for your landscape needs Hadron.
I just ordered one today for similar requirements, I've owned one before and have so enjoyed it's quality and versatility....!!

Here's a XF10-24mm image from my digital X library;

River Orchy, Dalmally, Scotland by APM Photography, on Flickr

Regards;
Peter

I must say I hadn't even considered that one (for some reason I'd assumed it would be way over budget) but having had a very quick look it could well be a serious contender.
Thanks for that, I really appreciate your input :)

Apologies, an afterthought, is there much barrel distortion at the wider end with the 10-24?

To me the greatest saxophone solo I have ever heard was Baker Street, so as I had some time to my self today I went to The Better Half for the Jazz gig and this is Al Nicholls and what a great player he was and is too. X-T3 + XF50mm f2.

Al Nicholls by Dave, on Flickr

Play the sax Al by Dave, on Flickr

Al by Dave, on Flickr

Thank you Keith, I have been helping my Mum who is very ill so when I get some me time is the only time I can pick up the camera.

Completely understand that, I'm similar here with my partner, she's been very ill for the past year, I've also started a new job and I have 2 girls to look out for, one of whom has a disability. It can get on top of you for sure. But we need to mke some time for our own enjoyment ;)

Last edited:
Completely understand that, I'm similar here with my partner, she's been very ill for the past year, I've also started a new job and I have 2 girls to look out for, one of whom has a disability. It can get on top of you for sure. But we need to mke some time for our own enjoyment ;)

My niece who is helping me told me to look after my self too, as did my doctor. So on some days I will make sure I make time for me.

To me the greatest saxophone solo I have ever heard was Baker Street, so as I had some time to my self today I went to The Better Half for the Jazz gig and this is Al Nicholls and what a great player he was and is too. X-T3 + XF50mm f2.

Al Nich

olls by Dave, on Flickr

Al by Dave, on Flickr

I agree on the Baker Street solo, this guy is local to me and does the quiz on a Tuesday evening, I've not heard him play, but by all accounts he is pretty good :)

Apologies, an afterthought, is there much barrel distortion at the wider end with the 10-24?

Some, but you expect it at 10mm. It's the landscape lens for me (I had the 16mm f1.4, which is outstanding, but it didn't get much use).

This was shot on the 10-24, attached to an X-T2.

Zara by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

There's quit a bit of stuff on my Flickr that may help, most of the landscapes are on the 10-24. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevejelly/

I love the differences in opinion/preference in here regarding certain lenses. I mean that in the best possible way. I wouldn't ever consider the 10-24 because I'm not into landscape seriously enough, nor architecture or anything that requires a really wide field of view really. Yet I adore the 16mm 1.4, it's become that lens, the one that is most at home on my X-H1, the one I reach for no matter the mood. I love that we all have different perspectives and aims, we all have a plan, and use the gear best suited to it.

Bit of a mind junk there, but I'm genuine, I do love that we all use similar gear yet in completely different ways, love it all :)

Al by Dave, on Flickr

”Excellent” set of candid street style Fujigraphs, nuff said.

George.

I love the differences in opinion/preference in here regarding certain lenses. I mean that in the best possible way. I wouldn't ever consider the 10-24 because I'm not into landscape seriously enough, nor architecture or anything that requires a really wide field of view really. Yet I adore the 16mm 1.4, it's become that lens, the one that is most at home on my X-H1, the one I reach for no matter the mood. I love that we all have different perspectives and aims, we all have a plan, and use the gear best suited to it.

Bit of a mind junk there, but I'm genuine, I do love that we all use similar gear yet in completely different ways, love it all :)

I love the 16 f1.8, and should I do a wedding again it will be back in my bag, but it just wasn’t getting the use it deserved, so I did a swap with Nick for the 90mm, which is another stunning lens and currently it’s getting a bit of use as I don’t have to take out the heavier 50-140.

Funny thing is, I use the 10-24 a lot at 24mm and I wonder whether a 23 f1.4 would be worth the investment. The GSD was shot at 24mm, wide open and is one of my favourite shots.

Al by Dave, on Flickr

Cracking, the first especially with the bass player in the background.

Sax solos? I'll take your Baker Street and raise you a Jungleland...

So, here's a thing. I love the T3, it's just about the best camera I've ever had.

Do I:

1) Out the 2 T2 bodies for another T3?
2) Out the 2 T2 bodies, get an H1 plus another lens?
3) Out one T2 body and fund a new piece of glass?

My lens collection currently sits as: 35 f1.4, 60 f2.4, 90 f2 plus 10-24, 50-140, 100-400 and the 1.4TC.

Many of my landscapes are shot between 12 & 24mm, so the 16 f1.4 (which I regret moving on) is on my list, as is the 23 f1.4. However with my wife taking more of an interest in taking pictures, should I consider the 16-80 ?

So, here's a thing. I love the T3, it's just about the best camera I've ever had.

Do I:

My lens collection currently sits as: 35 f1.4, 60 f2.4, 90 f2 plus 10-24, 50-140, 100-400 and the 1.4TC.

Many of my landscapes are shot between 12 & 24mm, so the 16 f1.4 (which I regret moving on) is on my list, as is the 23 f1.4. However with my wife taking more of an interest in taking pictures, should I consider the 16-80 ?

Give her a T2 with a 16-80, and she`ll be sorted for a long while I reckon. Plus you get brownie points ;)

Last edited:

Do I:

Hi Steve,

Do you really need a 16-80mm when your 10-24mm covers most things? You've got a fantastic range of Fuji glass there to be honest, I'd say add the pancake XF27mm (currently £129 from E-infinity) for a compact walk around/general lens etc, or maybe a XF56mm f/1.2, and maybe source an older X-Pro1 body and you'll be complete.

Peter

Hi Steve,

Do you really need a 16-80mm when your 10-24mm covers most things? You've got a fantastic range of Fuji glass there to be honest, I'd say add the pancake XF27mm (currently £129 from E-infinity) for a compact walk around/general lens etc, or maybe a XF56mm f/1.2, and maybe source an older X-Pro1 body and you'll be complete.

Peter

The 16-80 would give me a chance to "double up" so that she has a good walkabout lens, and then I can continue to use the 10-24, 35 & 90 (which is what is usually in my "general" bag.

Do I:

If you look at the review of the 16-80 I posted earlier, it's not very impressive. It's not the sharpest from 50-80mm, I would go for the 18-55 and use the savings on a nice prime for your wife. On the cameras, that's more a personal preference I think. Do you ever feel you need IBIS when shooting the primes? If you get the H1 would this be the camera your wife might use now and then? she might not like the size and weight

Hi Brian (psybear);

I've just been viewing your personal photo website there this morning, very impressive photographic body of work Sir..!!

I simply love the Fanad Lighthouse, Donegal image in particular -- WOOW!! Great skills...

Best regards;
Peter

If you look at the review of the 16-80 I posted earlier, it's not very impressive. It's not the sharpest from 50-80mm, I would go for the 18-55 and use the savings on a nice prime for your wife. On the cameras, that's more a personal preference I think. Do you ever feel you need IBIS when shooting the primes? If you get the H1 would this be the camera your wife might use now and then? she might not like the size and weight
The H1 is a great camera. I have that and the T3 and have to say I prefer the H1 for most things. I won’t be buying the 16-80 that’s for sure. Though it is obviously a personal choice.

The H1 is a great camera. I have that and the T3 and have to say I prefer the H1 for most things. I won’t be buying the 16-80 that’s for sure. Though it is obviously a personal choice.

I think earlier previews of the lens Were a little exaggerated, I would always wait on the more reliable ones like Christopher frost who have no affiliations. Looking at his results and comparing to when he tested the 18-55 the 16-80 looks poorer on the longer end. It looks decent at the wider end but the corners aren't great at any focal length, looks like it's best at 23mm

Any recommendations for camera strap for an X-T3 - I currently use a wide shoulder strap, which was on my 5D, but is quite cumbersome. Any suggestions? I've looked at the Black Rapid buy boy they are quite pricey, is there equivalent at a better price?

Any recommendations for camera strap for an X-T3 - I currently use a wide shoulder strap, which was on my 5D, but is quite cumbersome. Any suggestions? I've looked at the Black Rapid buy boy they are quite pricey, is there equivalent at a better price?

I use the Peak Design Slide, a great strap too.

Back