The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Very cool shot mate
Nice! looks to be a decent 85mm

Thanks Jon, I'm pleased with it

I have this worry about IBIS, if I switched to a non IBIS body how much would I miss it? It does limit the options. For example I like the look of the EOS R, but with very limited and mostly expensive native OIS lenses I would mostly be adapting older EF lenses, and mostly primes - without any IS. Would this get the better of me, have I been spoiled by IBIS?

I've definitely been spoiled by it. I can't believe the amount of shots I binned this morning.

Last sold for £475 on here with a half case and thumb grip! Undervalued definitely but the prices are dropping.
Yeah mine is in good nick, but well used so I doubt I'd get £400 for it, so I'd rather keep it .

Took the 85 out today and also the new flash to have a practice. I really like this lens. Although I’m seriously missing ibis on the T3. Loads of camera shake. I’m wondering if a couple of years of H1’s and the A7iii are making me forget to hold the camera steady!

Lisa by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Very nice portrait style Fujiigraph, unusual pose with the tree framing but very effective.

George.

The "smart" (Viltrox) adapter turned up tonight, couldnt wait for decent light so I bunged it on at 5:10pm in a rapidly fading dull light.
Tried it with (on X-T10 body)
EF 50 1.8 mk2
EF 85 1.8
EF 100 2.8 macro (no L or IS)
EF 70-200 f4 IS L
EF 300 f4 IS L
EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 mk 1 IS L
efs 18-55 horrible plastic kit lens
efs 60 2.8 macro

To be fair it was dull and I was generally point it at stuff in my garden through a window (which needs a clean), so terribly unfair test procedure.
Really just a quick test, snapped a few things and general impression is it's ok, not brilliant but good enough so far.
50 1.8 seemed to have the iris opening and closing soon as it was mounted, hunted a bit until actually pointed at something reasonably bright then it settled down
Hit focus some of the time but not always
85 1.8 bit more hit and miss with focus, 100 macro similar
70-200 - surprised it seemed to like this lens, still a bit hit and miss but pretty ok
300 - not bad, nowhere near as fast or reliable as native body
100-400 forget it, didnt hit focus ever
18-55 only tried a couple of shots - I have the same focal length fuji lens so never going to use the Canon lens
60 macro - again pretty good.

Checked the jpegs in ZoomBrowser pixel peeped and the results looked ok at 50% zoomed.

A very un-scientific test in poor light, I didnt expect very good results and I wasnt disapoined, they werent very good, they were good enough to justify the £130 outlay though (in my view).
I bought it for a specific reason, to use with my shorter primes and only tried it on the other lenses because I could :)
I think it will work fine in decent light and with fairly contrasty subjects, but first impressions are favourable.
Hopefully I'll get decent weather Friday afternoon and have a much more serious play and post up the results, either in written or pictorial form.

Last edited:
Now I have the H1 with IBIS I am considering making my final lens purchase (yeah, yeah) and buying the 16-55 2.8. I have the 18-55 and think it is a great lens, but is the 16-55 worth adding to my inventory? I absolutely lobe the 50-140 2.8 and if the 16-55 gives similar results it might be something I will go for as a Xmas pressie to myself. :)

shot from the weekend with the 56mm apd.

1-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr
I see you used flash, what flash were you using, and what setting did you use? It looks pretty unobtrusive, I'm guessing some FIF at less than the TTL setting?

I see you used flash, what flash were you using, and what setting did you use? It looks pretty unobtrusive, I'm guessing some FIF at less than the TTL setting?

yeah the godox tt865f (i think thats what its called). it was on-camera and set it to ttl. i used the bounce card rather than fire it directly just to give the image a little kick

yeah the godox tt865f (i think thats what its called). it was on-camera and set it to ttl. i used the bounce card rather than fire it directly just to give the image a little kick
Makes it pop a little more than it would have done I think, maybe a little more power ould have given a nice catchlight, either way I like the shot :)

Jon, did you notice whilst in ttl using the bounce card the zoom reverts to it's widest setting? Something I noticed yesterday when using my V860II. Really confused me. As soon as you pop the bounce card back in, the zoom reverts to auto

Jon, did you notice whilst in ttl using the bounce card the zoom reverts to it's widest setting? Something I noticed yesterday when using my V860II. Really confused me. As soon as you pop the bounce card back in, the zoom reverts to auto

I think many flash units do this, pretty sure my Yongnuo does, if you want it zoomed use manual controls - note I could well be wrong, will have to check mine later

AH! Just realised I can't check this, because the only flash I have atm is fully manual, no TTL ... it was my Godox TT350 that did it I think, sold a while back. But I do remember it zooming out whenever I flipped up the bounce card, annoying, but probably makes sense for correct TTL reading

Batteries all charged up for todays jazz in church, will be taking the H1 for stills and video but don`t know on either the Xpro2 & 50mm or the T3 & 35mm. All Saints is a hell of a big church inside so want to take a few shots anyway.
Looking forward to seeing the results Dave :)

I'm not in the s
It`s been far to long since I`ve been back, so really looking forward to it.
I'm not in the slightest bit religious, in act quite the opposite, but I have to say there are some extremely beautiful religious buildings and monuments around the world. :)

Last edited:
Here is a quick question regarding flash and exposure compensation:

I am playing about with my flash / ambient light balance, and was wondering if someone could explain what Fuji does in these examples?

If I use the flash in TTL and set the camera at -2 stops exposure either by using exposure compensation or manually, will the flash still try and provide the correct exposure, or will it try and expose at -2 stops?

I have had a play and I usually end up setting the flash in manual mode, but out of interest, can anyone let me know how this is supposed to work?

I'm talking an effect like this, excuse the rubbish subject.

DSCF1703 by rick phillips, on Flickr
Thanks,
The effect of the exposure compesation dial is global so it will turn both ambient and flash exposuere up and down either use manual on camera to reduce ambient exposure or counter the effect of the EC with aditional FEC in automode

Can't say I noticed, Nick. it was very much a run and gun shoot.

The effect of the exposure compesation dial is global so it will turn both ambient and flash exposuere up and down either use manual on camera to reduce ambient exposure or counter the effect of the EC with aditional FEC in automode
Thanks Soeren, much appreciated you confirming my thoughts. :)

Very nice Fujigraph, with some good colours and a lovely sky.

George.
Thanks George, I just wish I could have got the kites a little bigger.

That's exactly how it should be, as the bounce card produces non focused light and spreads the light probably wider than the lens viewing angle. The camera then assumes you want to shoot wide angle and adjusts the lens focal length accordingly.

George.

Last edited:
That's exactly how it should be, as the bounce card produces non focused light and spreads the light probably wider than the lens viewing angle. The camera then assumes you want to shoot wide angle and adjusts the lens focal length accordingly.

George.
Its not because of the bounce card but because the wideangle diffussor is drawn out. Push that back untill it clicks while keeping the bounce card extracted and your normal zoom function is restored. Also a tip if the head wont zoom, press the diffussor till it clicks, sometimes its not been pushed all the way in but you cant understand why the flash wont zoom.

Its not because of the bounce card but because the wideangle diffussor is drawn out. Push that back untill it clicks while keeping the bounce card extracted and your normal zoom function is restored. Also a tip if the head wont zoom, press the diffussor till it clicks, sometimes its not been pushed all the way in but you cant understand why the flash wont zoom.

That is what I meant to say, you are of course perfectly correct.

George.

Back