The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of using an X-pro1 with a lens that has no aperture ring, i.e. Is it easy, what settings, if any, need to be changed? I realise that the firmware should be updated to the latest version.

Cheers
I have an x-t10 and an x-e2, with XC lenses (no aperture ring), aperture controlled by command dial, slightly easier on x-T10 but tbh I am used to aperture control via electronics as I have EOS Canons and they operate in a similar way as eos lenses don't have an aperture ring.
The only slight issue with x-e2 is if you want a really long exposure it's tedious to set the shutter sped with the command dial (as the top plate dial only sets T) then go into menus and set aperture to manual, exit menu and then set aperture using same command dial as the one used to set the shutter speed required, the x-t10 uses 2 separate dials, not sure how it is with x-pro1 though.

Last edited:
Having looked into a comparison between Xpro1 and X-e2/x-t10 I see the pro1 has a 1st gen sensor as opposed to a 2nd gen sensor, who you say the 2nd gen sensor is inferior?
Not being confrontational just interested if that's your view and why.
Matt

Inferior isn’t the right word, but the “look” is certainly slightly different. Its personal preference really, I do prefer the first gen sensors, but the second gen are also awesome.

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of one of the many old boats and things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind.
In the lower right of the snap you can see one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

Things Left Behind (31) (Dungeness)-03348ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George

Last edited:
I'm quite pleased with the PP work on this one as it's the first snap that I have completely PPd on my iPad Pro.
Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of one of the many old boats and things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind.
In the lower right of the snap you can see one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/480th @ F9, ISO-200, Handheld.

Things Left Behind (31) (Dungeness)-03348ip
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George
Beautiful tonal processing, very nice work!

Inferior isn’t the right word, but the “look” is certainly slightly different. Its personal preference really, I do prefer the first gen sensors, but the second gen are also awesome.
Well said Tom, I was struggling to put my thoughts into motion but you've nailed the response perfectly to be honest. Well said that man.

Peter

I'm quite pleased with the PP work on this one as it's the first snap that I have completely PPd on my iPad Pro.

by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George
Great shot and PP :)

by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George

Nice one George, you’ve found a great angle there. Cracking edit as well. :)

One from my walk over the Shropshire Hills a few days back. This one‘s had an insane amount of shadow recovery, due to me rushing the photo, and the file is/was on the brink of collapse. :p It’s just about hung in there I think though and I reckon it’ll look OK on paper. Nice to see the Fooj can bail me out when I balls it all up, which is often... :cool:

Shropshire Hills
by Jason, on Flickr

I've decided to buy a 35mm prime to go on the X-Pro 2, and I guess I am asking the age old question, do I buy the F1.4 or F2 version. I have watched and read a few reviews, and they seem to be contradictory. Can someone who has owned both let me have their thoughts?

I won't need weather resistance, but i'd like good AF but won't be shooting sports with it, I amy use it for some video, so am wondering if the 1.4 noise is an issue. Opinions really welcome please :)

I've decided to buy a 35mm prime to go on the X-Pro 2, and I guess I am asking the age old question, do I buy the F1.4 or F2 version. I have watched and read a few reviews, and they seem to be contradictory. Can someone who has owned both let me have their thoughts?

I won't need weather resistance, but i'd like good AF but won't be shooting sports with it, I amy use it for some video, so am wondering if the 1.4 noise is an issue. Opinions really welcome please :)

I only have the 35mm f2 and love it, very very very quick AF and locks on with a breeze. Have heard the 35mm 1.4 renders better.

Last edited:
I only have the 35mm f2 and love it, very very very quick AF and locks on with a breeze. Have heard the 35mm 1.4 renders better.
Thanks Dave, I'm leaning towards to F2, but part of me thinks I'd always wish I'd gone for the F1.4... decisions decisions :D

One from my walk over the Shropshire Hills a few days back. This one‘s had an insane amount of shadow recovery, due to me rushing the photo, and the file is/was on the brink of collapse. :p It’s just about hung in there I think though and I reckon it’ll look OK on paper. Nice to see the Fooj can bail me out when I balls it all up, which is often... :cool:

Shropshire Hills
by Jason, on Flickr

One to be printed and hung on the wall.

Nice one George, you’ve found a great angle there. Cracking edit as well. :)

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciated your reply.

G.K.Jnr.

Shropshire Hills
by Jason, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph, well composed with some nice colours. Liking this shot very much.

George.

Rick, I've heard the 35/2 is much quicker auto focus, but if I were in your shoes I'd aim for the 1.4 version personally. Snappy auto focus doesn't cut it for me to be honest, the end result is the most important thing!

E-infinity have both the 35/2 for £239, and the 35/1.4 for £329

Peter

Last edited:
Rick, I've heard the 35/2 is much quicker auto focus, but if I were in your shoes I'd aim for the 1.4 version personally. Snappy auto focus doesn't cut it for me to be honest, the end result is the most important thing!

E-infinity have both the 35/2 for £239, and the 35/1.4 for £329

Peter
Thanks Peter, I have actually ordered the 1.4 from there about an hour ago. I'd always wonder if I went the F2 route...

X100T arrived from Camera Jungle today, it was black, not silver (I prefer black, so winner!) and they'd left a really nice metal thumb grip on it.

Shropshire Hills
by Jason, on Flickr
That is very nice!

Thanks Peter, I have actually ordered the 1.4 from there about an hour ago. I'd always wonder if I went the F2 route...

That’s a positive “Result” in my book, congrat’s, “ENJOY”.

“Optically the F1.4 is the better of the two”

George.

The 35 f1.4 was the first Fuji lens I bought, at the same time as my old X-T1, and it has never failed to please. Probably the one lens I enjoy using most. Everything about the output is wonderful.

DSCF9643 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The 35 f1.4 was the first Fuji lens I bought, at the same time as my old X-T1, and it has never failed to please. Probably the one lens I enjoy using most. Everything about the output is wonderful.

Wow, that is lovely, I am looking forward to receiving this and trying to do it justice!

I have owned both but decided to keep the f2. Loved the images from the F1.4 but it's a bit too noisy for video. I really hope that Fuji will update it soon

I have owned both but decided to keep the f2. Loved the images from the F1.4 but it's a bit too noisy for video. I really hope that Fuji will update it soon

I had both too, first time out with Fuji a couple years ago I had the 1.4, it was the lens I used 90% of that time I'd say. When I returned to Fuji about 6mths back I gave the F2 35 a try. It's a nice lens, very little to fault with it, but I did miss that extra bit of close focusing the 1.4 offers, and that extra stop of light. Either or there's compromise. The F2 has WR, it's quiet and fast, where the 1.4 has the low light advantage, closer focusing and it's personal preference, but I much prefer the look of it on a camera. If you don't tend to shoot in the rain or do video then it's a tougher choice - I don't see any difference between them optically for general shooting past F2

Viltrox have a 33mm 1.4 on the way next month, it'll be interesting to see how that fares.

Last edited:

Quite fancying a 35 myself, but just going through the lenses myself seeing which I prefer, didnt really like the 18-55 f2.8 or the 100-400 so far I am loving the 50-140 and just got the 10-24f4 which I havent had any time to use yet, but first impressions look promising, so will wait and see, I may not need the 35 after all

Don't dimiss the Zeiss 32mm F1.8 either, doesn't focus as fast as the Fuji F2 (but probably quicker/at least as quick as the F1.4), but is built like a tank, lovely to hold on the camera, and has a 'special' colour rendition - a very overlooked lens
I had the chance to use the Zeiss when I had my xt1. As you said, it's a great option to have. Not sure why Zeiss stopped at 3 lenses for the X mount?

Don't dimiss the Zeiss 32mm F1.8 either, doesn't focus as fast as the Fuji F2 (but probably quicker/at least as quick as the F1.4), but is built like a tank, lovely to hold on the camera, and has a 'special' colour rendition - a very overlooked lens

If you can get one for the right price maybe. It still loses out in a few areas to the Fuji 1.4 - the obvious brighter aperture, the Fuji focuses closest of all the 35mm for the system and has slightly better magnification. This of course does not matter to some, who might only use these lenses for portraits or general shooting/street where CF doesn't matter. I like to have that option though, closer the better.

Impressed at high iso handling of the X-E1 despite it being quite old

X-E1, Fuji 16-50mm OIS f/3.5-5.6
1/15, f/5.6 ISO3200

hyhCn.jpg

Quite fancying a 35 myself, but just going through the lenses myself seeing which I prefer, didnt really like the 18-55 f2.8 or the 100-400 so far I am loving the 50-140 and just got the 10-24f4 which I havent had any time to use yet, but first impressions look promising, so will wait and see, I may not need the 35 after all

My lens collection is not huge, but includes 3 zooms (10-24, 50-140 & 100-400) and three primes (35 f1.4, 60 f2.4 & 90 f2). The 100-400 is used predominantly for wildlife along with the 1.4TC, the 10-24 for landscape and as a walkaround lens. The 35 is my "art" lens, the 50-140 & 90 are my "people" lenses (along with the 35 too) and the 60 is used just as a macro. I have a pair of extension tubes which I have used with all 3 primes, but they work best on the 35 & 60.

The one lens I really regret letting go is the 16 f1.4, but I swapped it with @NickTB for the 90, and whilst I love the 90, there is a hole where the 16 should be, and funds don't allow for me to buy another right now. But it will come...

I also hanker after the 23 f1.2 as I shoot with the 10-24 at that range a lot. So many lenses, so little money :rolleyes:

Back